Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Masked Man wrote: »
    $285,714.29 is a very specific amount. His win bonus woulda been $142,857.14 as well.

I reckon his contract was in Euro and that's just the figure it worked out at when converted to dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Any fighter on their books shouldn't be worrying about money enough to be teaching personal training classes or paying sparring partners within days of their fights and such stories which I've heard over the years. Anyway I'm not pullin it out of thin air and there's no comparison to the crappy moon landing comment man - , fighters have complained over the years and we all know it's not a smart move to complain in the press about the UFC coz Dana will just get rid of ya somehow in a heartbeat. 8k ain't enough when you're putting limbs on the line and selling hundreds of millions of dollars of ppv all year long. Win or lose they should be taking great care of every one of their fighters... to a certain level... certainly 20k show up money minimum in my view. They have a monopoly they can do what they want and they do that's all it is. I'm not sure how or why you'd argue that 8k is enough for a pro mma fighter on the biggest stage in MMA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ufc provide them with insurance, they make sponsorship money and back stage bonuses and 8Gs is a starting wage. Like you say they can make money be teaching etc too.

But I suppose you'd have to look at the early stages of a UFC career as kind of an internship.
    You get paid the crappy salary BUT there are plenty of incentives there. You can look at the big guys getting the big money and aim to be there. You get $8k to show but also another $8k if you win. Plus if you put on a good show there's a chance of a bonus. If you get the bonuses and perform well, then you move up the ladder and earn more money. If you don't, then you either stay on crap money or you get sacked.

You can't look at it as "Ok I'm in the UFC now, I've made it to the big time so gimme all the money!"
    If you've made it to the UFC then that's great, but you still have a lot of work to do to be one of the big guys.
    It's a ladder and you have to work your way up like in any other big company in any other industry out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Look at this, Joe Lauzon has got 12 Fight Bonuses, that's gotta be touching half a mill

Joe Lauzon 5 1 6 12
    Anderson Silva 3 7 2 12
    Chris Lytle 6 1 3 10
    Nate Diaz 5 0 5 10
    Clay Guida 5 0 3 8
    Frankie Edgar 6 1 0 7
    Sam Stout 5 1 0 6
    Forrest Griffin 5 0 1 6
    Tyson Griffin 5 0 1 6
    Tito Ortiz 4 1 1 6
    Joe Stevenson 4 0 2 6
    Donald Cerrone 3 2 1 6
    Chris Leben 2 4 0 6
    Diego Sanchez 5 0 0 5
    Wanderlei Silva 4 1 0 5
    Matt Wiman 4 0 1 5
    Quinton Jackson 3 2 0 5
    Marcus Davis 3 1 1 5
    Georges St-Pierre 3 1 1 5
    Kenny Florian 3 0 2 5
    Josh Koscheck 2 2 1 5
    B.J. Penn 2 1 2 5
    Jon Jones 2 1 2 5
    Jim Miller 2 0 3 5
    Stefan Struve 1 1 3 5
    Terry Etim 1 0 4 5

First column is Fights of the Night, Second KO's, third Submissions, last colum is total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Don't forget the 6k he earned for Nick The Tooth

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

What's even more impressive about Lauzon is That's twelve bonus in 14 fights. There's only been 2 fights were he hasn't impressed and one was a KO loss to Pettis. Let's not forget he Dana White grappling match invitational money too ;)

El Guapo hit the nail on the head. You've got to prove your worth in the UFC. Rarely can big you get a big payday upon signing on without having great pulling power before hand eg. Brock or Overeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Anderson has 6 SOTN & 2 KOTN bonuses, scud that surely is an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

unknown13 wrote: »
    Anderson has 6 SOTN & 2 KOTN bonuses, scud that surely is an error.

Yep, i put KO and Submission in wrong place

Random fact that I just discovered while looking at wikipedia: Anderson Silva fought 3 times at LHW in the UFC. In those three fights, his opponents tested positive for banned substances, and he still finished them all in the 1st round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Random fact that I just discovered while looking at wikipedia: Anderson Silva fought 3 times at LHW in the UFC. In those three fights, his opponents tested positive for banned substances, and he still finished them all in the 1st round.

Did Griffin test positive for anything? Dont remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Of course he knocked them out, they were all Hepped Up on Goofballs!

Chinpool wrote: »

I don't remember it either, but its on Silva's wikipedia page. The wiki source is here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He took a Xanax the night before the Silva fight for restlessness. It wasn't steroids or PEDs or anything like that so it wasn't made public. It's more like a foot note on his post fight screening. He fought again soon after so wasn't banned or anything.

Pettis is going to fight Aldo in August. Link

Strange decision since Henderson could be available at that time too after Melendez. Either way, it's going to be a cracking fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Shazbot wrote: »

Strange decision since Henderson could be available at that time too after Melendez. Either way, it's going to be a cracking fight.
    Feel kinda bad for the Zombie. Thought he should be next after the hominick & poirier fights

Feel kinda bad for the Zombie. Thought he should be next after the hominick & poirier fights

I thought Lamas would get the title shot after demolishing Koch. I guess it sets up Lamas v Korean Zombie for a contender shot.

It seems like spit in the face for the current featherweights. Twice in a row a lightweight has dropped to featherweight and gotten an instant title shot. Then again, Aldo v Edgar was an exciting fight and this has the making to be great too so I can't complain too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

LW division is so stacked :D

Pettis gave an interview on MMAMania that he was fearing there'd be an "immediate" rematch between Henderson and Melendez given how often that's happened in recent years. I somehow don't think Melendez will have a close enough match to warrant a rematch. Maybe it's his way of ensuring he gets the title shot without waiting around almost defending his top contender spot.

Not to mention Alvarez maybe joining the division in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Shazbot wrote: »

It maybe a strange decision but it is a great fight. The Featherweight division is becoming stacked now with people moving down.

Also, if he wins the title and Henderson keeps defending the title. Then the rematch (which is going to happen at some point) will be massive.

Turns out the guy who failed the drugs test was Thiago Tavares. There was speculation that it was Belfort. That was wrong, however he was receiving TRT at the time of the fight. But it was all above board.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-reveals-vitor-belfort-used-testosterone-replacement-therapy-for-ufc-on-fx-7
    UFC officials today answered the question Vitor Belfort refused to address: Yes, "The Phenom" did use testosterone replacement therapy in advance of his UFC on FX 7 win over Michael Bisping.

UFC officials today revealed Belfort was granted a therapeutic-use exemption for testosterone replacement therapy prior to the bout and that his post-fight drug screen "did not indicate the presence of any prohibited substance for increasing performance improvement."

Belfort and Bisping headlined the Jan. 19 event, which took place at Sao Paulo's Ibirapuera Gymnasium. The Brazilian scored a second-round TKO over the Brit and then proceeded to call for a rematch with current light heavyweight champion Jon Jones.

All 22 fighters who competed on the card were tested for performance-enhancing drugs and drugs of abuse, and the UFC this past week confirmed one test result in an "irregular" finding, which led to speculation that Belfort – who in 2006 was suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for the anabolic steroid 4-Hydroxytestosterone – was the culprit.

However, as UFC President Dana White promised following this past weekend's UFC 156 event, that was not the case. Instead, the failed result belonged to lightweight Thaigo Tavares, who was suspended for nine months.

"To dispel rumors that have been circulated, Zuffa wishes to clarify that Vitor Belfort’s drug test results were negative and did not indicate the presence of any performance enhancing drugs," a statement from Zuffa read.

Still, Belfort's use of testosterone is sure to raise a few eyebrows. However, UFC officials said the fighter has been diagnosed with hypogonadism, the same condition that allowed Chael Sonnen to receive prior exemptions, and that Belfort's levels have been properly monitored by a Nevada physician.

UFC on FX 7 marked the regulatory debut of the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (Comissao Atletica Brasileira de MMA), which is part of the upstart International Mixed Martial Arts Federation. (UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner, whom the Brazilian commission shadowed during the UFC's three prior events in the country, chairs the IMMAF's technical committee.)

Belfort, who's recently dodged questions about his potential use of testosterone-replacement therapy, addressed reporters prior to Saturday's UFC 156 event in Las Vegas and dismissed the rumors of the failed drug test.

"I think people get jealous when a guy at my age is destroying these people getting title shots," he said. "... I think when you look good, the tendency of people to judge you and criticize you is bigger because it sells [newspapers]. See, we're talking about this, but I had a great performance, and we're spending more time talking about the controversy than my performance."

• Advertisement

"I heard it was Belfort on Twitter, it must be true"

What's just as bad though is when people feed the rumour. "I'm not accusing anyone but apparently peopple on Twitter are saying X".

I mean, if I went around saying "I'm not accusing anyone, but someone said Joe Bloggs was a paedophile on Twitter" I might as well be accusing them of the rumour.

Whoever (Front Row Brian? I don't know who he is) started this sh*t really needs to man up and apologise to Vitor.

Good point.
    With a rumour this serious, its always better to hear it from a credible official source before you help spread it around. It could be dangerous spreading unfounded rumours. (Getting sued etc)

Bisping should've had more sense too. He put it up on Twitter when he heard. You'd think he'd call someone at the UFC first before doing something so stupid.

I have a mate who is a Man Utd supporter and every day he's saying "United are apparently signing Kaka.... United are apparently signing back Ronaldo....... apparently United are signing Jesus Christ...."

And where does he hear this garbage? Twitter! People will just regurgitate this crap.

Also, I hear that this Front Row Brian guy is justifying it now by saying "Well if I hadn't have said what I said, UFC wouldn't have revealed Vitor had TRT. I forced their hand" *

Who gives a ****?

* I read this on Twitter so it's probably not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Never read any of his stuff but this Front Row Brian sounds like a knob.

Until the UFC/NSAC/Relevant authority releases official info I don't think it's right for anyone, fighter or not, to speculate. The damage could be very costly, to a fighter's reputation or a rumour spreaders bank balance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well instead of blaming some twitter tard of pointing the finger at the wrong person maybe we should be blaming someone else for leaking the info that someone had failed??

why did everyone know that there was someone that failed? if that aspect had been handled correctly then there would be no rumours of who had failed.

This isn't the first time I've heard of FRB. Another forum I used to lurk on mentioned him many time in pretty much the same light Stuffins has; making random claims based on absolutely nothing and then trying to justify his claims when proven wrong.

Like anything else, the reason he has any kind of fame is because people keep talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

While the McGregor think sorts itself out. Norman Parke also found out his next opponent. John Tuck. Didn't see his last fight but I saw his one round loss to Al Iquainta. Looks like a beast for 155, superb athlete. Be a big win if Norman can get it done.

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-on-fox-7-adds-jury-nijem-parke-tuck-masvidal-means-njokuani-bowling

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "I heard it was Belfort on Twitter, it must be true"

What's just as bad though is when people feed the rumour. "I'm not accusing anyone but apparently peopple on Twitter are saying X".

I mean, if I went around saying "I'm not accusing anyone, but someone said Joe Bloggs was a paedophile on Twitter" I might as well be accusing them of the rumour.

Whoever (Front Row Brian? I don't know who he is) started this sh*t really needs to man up and apologise to Vitor.

TRT exemptions are a licence to cheat. The rule needs to change imo.

That's not the point though.

He's operating within he rules. It was alleged that he broke the rules but did not.

This guy can't just go around saying he failed a drug test for PEDs when he didn't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

TRT exemptions are a licence to cheat. The rule needs to change imo.

The issue with hs using TRT (and it is an issue imo) shouldn't have anything to do with the rumors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement