Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Is that the same bloke that was judging the CW event in the Helix that night when I was there with you? I think you were telling me about him. Fair play to him.

Yeah, same guy.

I just thought who the fcuk is this wierdo, I never went to the helix wit el guapo, then I noticed the old name underneath

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »

Yeah, same guy.

I just thought who the fcuk is this wierdo, I never went to the helix wit el guapo, then I noticed the old name underneath
    :D

Yeah changed it a while ago. Kinda miss the old name though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

El Guapo! wrote: »
    :D

Yeah changed it a while ago. Kinda miss the old name though!

No chance, El Guapo! is one of the best usernames on boards. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

One of the lads in the club is selling these beauties for 20 euro.

If anyone interested, drop me a PM

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/Products/UFC-Encyclopedia+Hardback+9781405373708

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Outrageous guillotine/choke slam. Saw this on Joe.ie
    Fast forward to about 1:30 to see the short fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Outrageous guillotine/choke slam. Saw this on Joe.ie
    Fast forward to about 1:30 to see the short fight.

Holy****-wasnt expecting that guy yo get up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

if its an irish event he should have being disqualified for a neck crank, i think there illegal at amateur level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

pauldoo wrote: »
    Holy****-wasnt expecting that guy to get up

And when he does he goes overboard in hugging yer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Rory Mc Donald has withdrawn from the Condit fight.

I expect to see either Maia or Woodley taking the Condit fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

unknown13 wrote: »

F*ck!

Was looking forward to seeing that fight!

• Advertisement

when is that?

What you guys reckon of title holders taking time off injured?

Cruz's last fight was October 1st 2011, if he comes back this October, which looks about right, that's 2 whole years of not defending his title, not only that, he's gonna have to step back into the cage, with no warm up, and defend his belt, surely cage rust will have set in.

What's the answer? Let him have 1 fight for no title, and if he gets beaten the winner gets next shot after he's fought the interim champ? But that'll mean even longer without defending.

Catch 22 all round, easiest way i reckon is to strip the holder if not defended within 12 months, and make them the interim champ

Hmmm..... it's a tough one.

12 months seems very short in a sport where a healthy title holder can go 6 months without defending his belt.

But yeah, there has to be a certain point where an interm title feeds into being the proper belt.

His coming back and jumping straight in at the Championship level is tough but I suppose them's the breaks. If he's not willing to vacate the belt he has to jump straight back in.

Maybe those in the situation could be given the choice to vacate the belt thus giving them a chance to have a fight or two before going straight back in at Championship level?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think Cruz, as good as he is, would be in for a damn tough fight against Barao no matter what.

But Cruz after 2 years out, Barao will take his title. I think the best thing would have been for Cruz to be stripped. Not only to keep the "real" title active rather than interim defences, but also because it will do Cruz no favours to come back from such a long break and face a beast like Barao.

But the big money is in unification bouts so the UFC will avoid stripping someone whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

empacher wrote: »
    if its an irish event he should have being disqualified for a neck crank, i think there illegal at amateur level.

It was in Derry, however that's Derry, New Hampshire in the United States ;)
    What you guys reckon of title holders taking time off injured?

Cruz's last fight was October 1st 2011, if he comes back this October, which looks about right, that's 2 whole years of not defending his title, not only that, he's gonna have to step back into the cage, with no warm up, and defend his belt, surely cage rust will have set in.
    Tough **** imo.
    I don't see how ring rust is relevant, if he loses the belt due to being rusty, then he's not best fighter in the division at that moment in time. So shouldn't be the champ.
    What's the answer? Let him have 1 fight for no title, and if he gets beaten the winner gets next shot after he's fought the interim champ? But that'll mean even longer without defending.
    That would be awful imo.
    Catch 22 all round, easiest way i reckon is to strip the holder if not defended within 12 months, and make them the interim champ

After a period of time, an injured fighter should vacate the title (as has happen in the past IIRC) but not after 12 months, or any set period. It should really be a case by case bases. Too many other factors involved.

Hendricks to fight Condit now. Sorry but that is a fúcking joke. Hendricks could very well lose this fight and not get his shot at the winner of GSP / Diaz because Mc Donald got injured.

If I was Hendricks I would not accept the fight.

Hendricks to fight Condit now. Sorry but that is a fúcking joke. Hendricks could very well lose this fight and not get his shot at the winner of GSP / Diaz because Mc Donald got injured.

If you were Hendricks you wouldn't give a crap what someone on boards thinks, you'd do what ya want ;)

If you were Hendricks you wouldn't give a crap what someone on boards thinks, you'd do what ya want ;)

True but if your one fight away from a UFC title shot. Who would you rather face: Condit or Ellenberger.

True but if your one fight away from a UFC title shot. Who would you rather face: Condit or Ellenberger.

If it was me i wouldn't give a shit, my thinking would be that i'd have to beat Condit at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That would be a really strange attitude from somebody who thinks of themselves are the divisions no.1 Contender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Mellor wrote: »
    That would be a really strange attitude from somebody who thinks of themselves are the divisions no.1 Contender

Yeah you have to fight whoever is put in front of you. If you turn down a fight more than likely you will go into Dana's bad books, which would of set him back

Well then he's not the best fighter in the world and doesn't deserve to be Champion!

By the way, you know Hendricks was already fighting on that card right? He was fighting Ellenberger (Who now fights Nate the Great)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

WTF

Some obvious ones there, but most are questionable. Fitch being the most shocking.

Chinpool wrote: »

Wow, Terry Etim also gone, he started off so well in UFC then he got that horrible (knee???) injury

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Seems like most of the losers from Saturday night are out on their ear. Shocked at Fitch really.

Prado seemed promising but had that horrible eye poke which didnt get his UFC debut off to a good start.

From mmajunkie
    In the UFC's most recent rankings, Fitch is ranked No. 9 in the promotion's Top 10.
    !!

Some unfortunate releases there.

I absolutely hate the decision to drop Fitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Surprised at Gomez and Santiago too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

As much as I appreciate Fitch is a top level fighter who has been around a long time, and deserves better... for me I don't really care, I have never considered any of his fights "must see." The lad is dull as dishwater to watch.

Looking at fightmatrix (only site i look at concerning rankings) there are a wealth of fighters above him I'd rather watch. Might sound cúntish but him getting cut is no great loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Shocked at the release of Fitch. Didn't see that one comin.
    And there's a couple others I'm surprised about. But tbh, I said a while ago that there was gonna be a good few cuts coming to make room for some Strikeforce guys to move over.
    I still wouldn't have expected Fitch to go, although he has had his troubles with the UFC in the past.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement