Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Could be something to do with his contract, he got 66k for his last fight, its hard to imagine he is bringing that back in. I'd say he'll win a few regional and they will resign him on maybe half that

Matyshenko was on 40k, Woodley in contrast came in on 43k, so I'd guess with the addition of all those SF contracts on the UFC are trying to cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

weemcd wrote: »
    As much as I appreciate Fitch is a top level fighter who has been around a long time, and deserves better... for me I don't really care, I have never considered any of his fights "must see." The lad is dull as dishwater to watch.

Looking at fightmatrix (only site i look at concerning rankings) there are a wealth of fighters above him I'd rather watch. Might sound cúntish but him getting cut is no great loss.

Well this seems to be the route that UFC took. Be exciting or you're out. However for an MMA based company that prides itself on trying to bag the best fighters in the business it wasn't a great idea to get rid of a top ten WW.

From what I'm reading Joe Silva seems to be taking a lot of the heat for the cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

As much as I appreciate Fitch is a top level fighter who has been around a long time, and deserves better... for me I don't really care, I have never considered any of his fights "must see." The lad is dull as dishwater to watch.

Did you see his fight vs. Silva?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Yes he has 2 wins and 1 dq in the ufc, fitch would be expected to beat him, good fight for what it's worth.

Fitch vs Maia was horrible

• Advertisement

Yes he has 2 wins and 1 dq in the ufc, fitch would be expected to beat him, good fight for what it's worth.

Ah now to be fair there was a bit of hype behind Silva coming into the fight and Fitch beat the holy bejaysus out of him for 3 rounds.

May I ask why you think that?

It was a great technical fight (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Fitch is the only surprise he is still a top 10 and possibly top 5 fighter. He may not be the most entertaining fighter but he still has ability to beat most in the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Prado seemed promising but had that horrible eye poke which didnt get his UFC debut off to a good start.
    Pradonever seemed remotely promising. It was like the make a wish foundation got this gigantic child a once off ufc appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I thought that fight was a great fight, two brilliant grapplers.

Your probably one of those who boos at the events whenever the fighters go to ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The lousy thing for Fitch is that he was saying (prior to the Silva fight I think) that he realised that his style was having a negative effect on his career and that he knew he was going to change things up and be more exciting if he wanted to get another title shot. He also said he was pretty broke due to having missed a while due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Rumor UFC plan to cut 100 fighter

Source John Morgan mmajunkie

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkieJohn/status/304304800210763776

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Fitch will have no trouble being snapped up by another promotion. He can sign a short term contract with them, build up a few impressive wins and head back to the UFC.
    Personally, I like Fitch. He gets a lot of hate that I don't really understand.
    I know he's far from the most exciting fighter out there but I always enjoyed watching him. If he can manage to get a few exciting wins by stoppage/sub etc. then we'll see him back in no time.

Your probably one of those who boos at the events whenever the fighters go to ground

Get The Tables!

Roy Nelson posted on his Facebook the MMAJunkie link that said the UFC are apparently going to cut 100 fighters in 2013 and that he thinks it's to do with the new TRT rules they have planned, that the UFC would have to foot the bill for in-camp testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get The Tables!

Roy Nelson posted on his Facebook the MMAJunkie link that said the UFC are apparently going to cut 100 fighters in 2013 and that he thinks it's to do with the new TRT rules they have planned, that the UFC would have to foot the bill for in-camp testing.
    The TRT rules that "who" has planned?
    If they wanted to cut down in TRT use they simply have to tell fighters not to go down that route.

Mellor wrote: »
    The TRT rules that "who" has planned?
    If they wanted to cut down in TRT use they simply have to tell fighters not to go down that route.

Dana, here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I think dropping Fitch is a joke and another signal that the UFC are tailor making their own "product" rather than trying to showcase the best fighters on the planet.

Some of the reactions to the UFC cuts are HERE.

Hardys is the best though.

Derek Brunson ✔ @DerekBrunsonMMA
    Well wait ... pretty much 1-3 in his last 4 . That wasn't to crazy of a cut . Just a huge name ! #UFC
    King Mo ✔ @KingMoFH
    @DerekBrunsonMMA naw...1-2-1....explain Hardy then?
    8:18 PM - 20 Feb 13
    Dan Hardy ✔ @danhardymma

Why is it whenever someone gets cut early by the @UFC, everyone gives me sh1t? I would have cut me way before @JonFitchdotnet too!
    7:19 PM - 20 Feb 13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

although I do think the best fighters will always be in the UFC, as a general rule because business follows the best fighters... but yeah its losing credibility, on some level. The so called realists will say it always acted according to business logic but certainly there is much more talk of it being 'tailor-made' as you rightly put it these days. Like most people I prefer out and out ninja-like strikers but any man who gets in there and tries to finish the other guy as I believe Fitch does (however unsuccessfully) no matter how, using smothering wrestle'n'strike - if it works and they win they deserve as much of a chance within the UFC frame as anyone else... although that doesn't always happen as you say because the UFC is acting these days more like a PR based business than a pure competition based organisation. Hendricks is another example but with such dominant champions as they have they can pretty much do what they like because they know that fans like us know that it's going to take a superhuman effort to beat their champs as it is anyway so it all ends up pedantic in a way. Hendricks deserves a shot yeah but does he have more of a chance than X,Y,Z... probably not. Same goes for Silva. and in all of that space Dana can make money selling the fights he wants without worryiing about the rest of us complaining too much. It all revolves around the long time belt-holders they have. Nobody has solved GSP or Silva and nobody seems like they will any time soon.

I thought that fight was a great fight, two brilliant grapplers.

You're probably one of those who boos at the events whenever the fighters go to ground

You don't know anything about me or what kind of MMA fan I am so don't make fúcking assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How to cover cutting the number 9 ranked WW
    There currently is no number 9 :pac:
    http://www.ufc.com/rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cutting Fitch is such a horrible decision. He's the 3rd best Welterweight of all time and has only lost to the Champ, the consensus No.1 contender and one of the most decorated wrestlers in the sport and who will, no doubt, be challenging for the title soon if he keeps up what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Silva v Weidmann planned for Independence Day weekend.

really?
    fukin deaaaaadleeeee

Hope Weidman lives up to the hype and at least puts up a challenge... but... it could be over in a heart beat as Silva slows down time Sherlock Holmes style and capitalizes on a mere thought of a mistake by Weidman and knocks him out cold.

Weidman back in Dec

" I know I'm a terrible, terrible match-up for him. If I get my hands on Anderson Silva, I'm saying it's game over. "

.....If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Some of the reactions to the UFC cuts are HERE.

Hardys is the best though.

I love Hardy's reaction. How awful was it that Ulysses Gomez had to find out through Twitter?

Poor Terry Etim. His confidence took an unbelievable shattering after the Barboza KO and now this. Also it's a pity Paul Sass was dropped. The guy had serious grappling talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

p to the e wrote: »
    How awful was it that Ulysses Gomez had to find out through Twitter?

Yeah that was brutal alright. And it's not the first time that's happened either.
    I know every organisation has leaks, and to an extent thats unavoidable, but they really should be doing everything in their power to make sure the fighters are informed first before the whole fight world hears about it. It's just bad form and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Ush1 wrote: »

Dana says he didn't say that about Faber, Helwani interview him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Advertisement

Chinpool wrote: »
    How to cover cutting the number 9 ranked WW
    There currently is no number 9 :pac:
    http://www.ufc.com/rankings

WTF That's just weird

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement