Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

So, according to Dana White, Jose Aldo and his camp are blank refusing the Anthony Pettis fight.

Apparently, Aldo doesn't think that Pettis deserves the shot at his belt, as just because he's No.1 contender at 155 it doesn't mean he should be able to have a shot at 145.

He kinda has a point!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

MrStuffins wrote: »
    So, according to Dana White, Jose Aldo and his camp are blank refusing the Anthony Pettis fight.

Apparently, Aldo doesn't think that Pettis deserves the shot at his belt, as just because he's No.1 contender at 155 it doesn't mean he should be able to have a shot at 145.

He kinda has a point!
    I agree with you 100%. What's the point in having weight classes if people are going to do what they do best in one weight class and then move to another to reap the rewards. It's hardly fair to the other fighters in that class. In fairness, that's one fight I would LOVE to see. Dana has let on that it wont end well for Aldo if he doesn't accept the fight.
    "It's like if Aldo wanted to move up to 155, are we going to say he's not the No. 1 contender? What are you talking about?"

Despite the concerns from Aldo's camp, White said he and the UFC are moving forward with plans for the matchup, which is tentatively scheduled for Aug. 3 at a location still to be determined. Of course, that might be difficult if the featherweight champ doesn't show up with his belt.

Or if he doesn't show up, maybe the belt won't actually be an issue.

"F---in' right, [Aldo] is gonna fight Pettis," White said. " That fight's on. He's going to fight Pettis, or he's not going to like how this is going to turn out."

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/02/ufc-boss-says-jose-aldos-camp-refusing-to-fight-anthony-pettis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

If you go down a weight class i think its fair to say your number 1 too but not the other way around.

Its aldos job to fight whoever they give him at 135 end of story, he aint the match maker.

I hope they make him fight on the prelims for 10 fights at 145 before he gets a shot there if thats his attitide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

adamski8 wrote: »
    If you go down a weight class i think its fair to say your number 1 too but not the other way around.

Its aldos job to fight whoever they give him at 135 end of story, he aint the match maker.

I hope they make him fight on the prelims for 10 fights at 145 before he gets a shot there if thats his attitide.

Exactly.

Aldo has no point since he should fight who's he told to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

BT Sport confirming today that it has bought ESPN's UK channel. Hoping it doesn't go to a situation where we're having to fork out additional money for a new subscription.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »

Ush1 wrote: »
    Exactly.

Aldo has no point since he should fight who's he told to fight.

I don't know about that. Some weight classes are more stacked than others.

Of course, LW is probably the MOST stacked. But let's say, for instance, you've got 4-5 guys at 155 all battling it out for a shot at the title.

And then someone, say, Johnny Hendricks KTFO's someone at 170 and decides he doesn't wanna fight GSP but would rather fight Bendo.... shouldn't he wait his turn?

By the way i'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. But I don't necessarily think being No.1 at a certain weight makes you No.1 at a close weight too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well hendricks wants are hendricks wants its also up to the ufc. Pettis wanted it and ufc agrees. Aldo should stfu and fight who he is told

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't know.. I can understand both sides of the argument but with the way things are going we'll end up with a situation where fans will be picking the title fights through a phone-in or by premium rate text message :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I don't know.. I can understand both sides of the argument but with the way things are going we'll end up with a situation where fans will be picking the title fights through a phone-in or by premium rate text message :rolleyes:

Silva got his title shot at Rich Franklin after a poll on ufc.com following the Chris Leben fight :pac:

Chinpool wrote: »
    Silva got his title shot at Rich Franklin after a poll on ufc.com following the Chris Leben fight :pac:

And look what happened to THAT hack!

Just as well the one true MW Champion saved us from it all.

Thanks Chael P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

haha gotta love Chael P. He's continuing to be a legend. His attitude on TUF is great plus he's really messing with Bones's head being so cool with him all the time. Not that it'll save him from an ASS raping come fight night... he hasn't a dog's chance in hell but he's still the man.

I'd absolutely love to see Chael fight Hendo, Machida, Gustafsson or Glover.... just to see what he's really made of at 205. As much as I love the guy he'd get killed by every single one of those guys.... just annihilated. The match up is a complete joke in all respects but I'm still delighted it's on for the hype and the craic outa Chael! I'll have sympathy for him on fight night, hope he doesn't get his head beaten into oblivion like Bones is very capable of doing.

Chael comes across so well on TUF and his book is hilarious too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I didn't just torrent that book instantly or anything : )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd absolutely love to see Chael fight Hendo, Machida, Gustafsson or Glover.... just to see what he's really made of at 205. As much as I love the guy he'd get killed by every single one of those guys.... just annihilated.

Hendo and Machida....yes.
    Glover.....probably, but it'd be a lot closer than you think.
    But Gustafsson? I actually think Chael would have a real good chance at beating him.

Regarding, Aldo having to fight whoever the UFC puts in front of him.....I'm kind of in two minds about it.

On one hand, yes, a champ should be willing and confident enough to fight whoever steps into the cage with him......within his own weight class.
    When it comes to people moving up or down a weight class, I don't think it's so clear cut. There's a number of factors that need to be considered.
    If there are no clear number 1 contenders within the weight class then a recent champ/number 1 contender in another class should be allowed step in.
    But if there are guys that are top contenders in the weight class then nobody should be allowed step in and skip those guys, unless its a superfight. They should have to come in and have at least one fight before getting the title shot.

Chinpool wrote: »

ok.. so the system actually works pretty damn well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Great interview!
    Hopefully the UFC take notice and get a card back here soon now.
    I can't wait for Conor to make his debut. Hope he makes a big statement. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Conor Mc Gregor is on the John Murray show(Radio1) this morning from 9am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

which radio station is that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I don't know about that. Some weight classes are more stacked than others.

Of course, LW is probably the MOST stacked. But let's say, for instance, you've got 4-5 guys at 155 all battling it out for a shot at the title.

And then someone, say, Johnny Hendricks KTFO's someone at 170 and decides he doesn't wanna fight GSP but would rather fight Bendo.... shouldn't he wait his turn?

By the way i'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. But I don't necessarily think being No.1 at a certain weight makes you No.1 at a close weight too.

Not really the issue though, my point is that it's not important what Aldo or his camp thinks as he should fight who he is asked to fight by the UFC.

Whether fans think Pettis should fight Aldo is a different story, it's down to what the UFC asks them to do and they should always be willing to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

weemcd wrote: »
    You don't know anything about me or what kind of MMA fan I am so don't make fúcking assumptions.

Jesus man will you relax :pac:

Is it wrong of me that i was turned on by Rousey fighting the other night? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Very good interview great energy in the interview will get a lot of followers. He will have to tone down some of the language though :) Great Love/Hate mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Aldo vs Pettis is back on, with a twist.

Aldo had refused the fight because he felt it was unfair for Pettis to jump to the top of the queue when changing divisions.

Now the fight is back on, but Aldo will have the same benefits. If Aldo defends his title against Pettis he will get an immediate title shot at LW!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Aldo vs Pettis is back on, with a twist.

Aldo had refused the fight because he felt it was unfair for Pettis to jump to the top of the queue when changing divisions.

Now the fight is back on, but Aldo will have the same benefits. If Aldo defends his title against Pettis he will get an immediate title shot at LW!

But by UFC logic Aldo should only get a LW title shot if he loses to Pettis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

If he loses to Pettis, he gets a shot at 205

Anderson has said it's likely he will fight Jon Jones this year at Madison Square Garden.

If that gets officially announced at some stage this year I'm gonna have to eat my own head with excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If it happens, I'll have to remortgage the house because I'm going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I assume that's dependent on the state of New York lifting it's MMA ban though surely? Hadn't heard any movement on that issue lately.

That would be some main event though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement