Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

RainMaker wrote: »
    I assume that's dependent on the state of New York lifting it's MMA ban though surely? Hadn't heard any movement on that issue lately.

That would be some main event though!

Dana said after 157 that he was confident on New York but he refused to comment further in case he "said something that pi$$ed someone off" and did harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If it happens, I'll have to remortgage the house because I'm going.

We'll all be remortgaging your house Doc. It'll be an mma forum trip, courtesy of your good self. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

To Dr. Phil!

*raises glass*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

This would surpass any sporting event in my lifetime. Liverpool AC Milan Champ League Final would fade into obscurity compared to the mere concept of this match up, this year before Silva has even faded at all with age. It's such a pure 'who's better' match up and Silva is accepted by most if not all to be big enough to compete.. even if he'll be outsized as most are at 205 by the lanky Jones.

Easy to say Jones will win coz he's bigger, longer and stronger. And that's what they'll say... I even said it myself. But I changed my tune watching Silva in his last couple fights. Silva is definitely big enough to knock Jones out cold so I'd give him a 35/40%% chance. You'd have to think Silva would test Jones's chin at some point in the contest, no matter how the fight went. Silva is the more instinctively talented striker (moving backwards, bobbing and weaving from the waist while jabbing etc) as great as Jones is at using his reach.

I would guess that Silva will attack him and use his strength as best he can as quickly as he can to get in Jone's face and hit him.... in a way that nobody has ever managed to do and immediately test his striking skill right up against Jones's... before Jones gets smart and tries to take him down.

Silva has a good chance - maybe 40% but Jones is Favorite, has to be, he's so big and so confident with his use of range. I would consider Jones the more durable fighter from a perspective of size and power but give Silva the edge in pure exchanges toe to toe with his freaky execution of timing. I will be more up for Silva just to see a man reach such heights of greatness and genius and to prove once again striking talent can beat anything coz you only have to touch the other guy one time on his chin the right way and..

Mighty Mouse is out of his title defence against Moraga with an injury. New headliner for the TUF finale card is Faber vs Scott Jorgenson.

Matt Riddle has tested for marijuana again and has been cut. Bit harsh considering that Nick Diaz tested positive and was rewarded with a title shot... Then again, it was Riddle's second positive test in a year and the UFC are looking for people to cut. Plus the fact that Riddle has gone from brawler to blanket can't help.

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TheIrishClassic

Matt Riddle has tested for marijuana again and has been cut. Bit harsh considering that Nick Diaz tested positive and was rewarded with a title shot... Then again, it was Riddle's second positive test in a year and the UFC are looking for people to cut. Plus the fact that Riddle has gone from brawler to blanket can't help.

I think Riddle dug his own grave when he made comments before the fight bitching about fighting in England again and said "I'll just go out there and hug Che for 15 minutes" and then he ACTUALLY DID IT. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's only "technically" won two of his last 6 fights. And has failed two drug tests in 7 months. He has no grounds to complain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Mellor wrote: »
    He's only "technically" won two of his last 6 fights. And has failed two drug tests in 7 months. He has no grounds to complain here.

"Technically" it's still 2 of his last 4, as the 2 he failed tests for were overturned to No Contest.

I wonder will Che Mills get another crack of the whip like Brandon vera got after the Thaigo loss?

MrStuffins wrote: »

"Technically" it's still 2 of his last 4, as the 2 he failed tests for were overturned to No Contest.
    I think you need to read my post again. Not really sure what you ate trying say tbh.
    I wonder will Che Mills get another crack of the whip like Brandon vera got after the Thaigo loss?
    Doubt it. No reason to believe Riddle was under the effects of it during his fight. It was simply evidence in his system. Would be pretty weak for Che to suggest he lost because Matt smoke a joint the week before their fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    He will have to tone down some of the language though :)

Yeah cursing seems to be a bit of an Irish thing. I meet a lot of British/American people (I live in China) and I've noticed I'm always the only one cursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yeah cursing seems to be a bit of an Irish thing. I meet a lot of British/American people (I live in China) and I've noticed I'm always the only one cursing.

It's because we're so ****ing charming.

Gunner Nelson vs Mike Pyle booked for UFC 160 in Vegas.

Good test for Nelson, Pyle is a strong wrestler but he also hits like a truck. Nelson certainly can't fight like he did last time. If he stands and gets hit like that Pyle will KO him. And he'll be harder to take down than Santiago.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

:D

That's feckin' funny :D and weird at the same time :eek:

Word on the grapevine is that Weidman has his shot vs. Silva for the title on the Independence weekend card July 6th:

5676c65afd2b89d62c0d5c2240bad1cd.png?1362593513

Weidman is over rated and hasn't had enough UFC fights for us to know what he's truly made of IMO... to deserve a shot at the greatest martial artist in history after 9 fights is mental.
    Beat Sakara who lost to Cote?
    Bongfeldt/who?
    Lawlor?
    Munoz is his only top drawer fighter... who is now the no.7 ranked MW.
    don't tell me Maia was great at 185 - lost to Nate, Munoz, Weidman and Silva.

I don't get it myself I know he has a great wrestling pedigree who gives a sh1t he has only beaten 1 of the current top 10 MW !

can only rationalize it by saying that either the division is weak and I don't buy that OR that Silva is so good he makes the division seem weak and therefore more acceptable to give anyone with more than half a chance a go at Silva.

I do think Weidman is an animal and skill-wise as good a match up as anyone in the top 10 or top 5 even, but I'm just saying his record is shallow and not deep enough or impressive enough for the shot.. hes only gettin the shot because it is a credible match up - which it is.... but not based on record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wineland getting a shot at barao is more undeserving for me! What the hell? is there no one better to give it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Overeem out injured of the JDS fight. Might suck but we will get a decent replacement with the timing of the fight being about 8 weeks away.

I am going to stick my neck out on the line here and say Mark Hunt will be the replacement.

Keith Kizer of the NSAC has said that Belfort has not, and probably will not receive a therapeutic use exemption (TUE) for TRT. Obviously there's ramifications here regarding his future fights.
    But more significant is how this relates to his recent win over Bisping. In that fight he was granted a TUE by the UFC and by CABMMA (the newly formed Brazilian athletic commission), which they (CABMMA) said was based on tests carried out by the NSAC. Here's what the head of CABMMA said after the event;
    (from Tatame.com.br via google translate)
    Dr. M&#225 wrote: »
    "In this first event we did in conjunction with the UFC. We participated in the collection of urine and guidance of athletes, and the test was performed in the laboratory of them, as is normally done, "explains Tannure, revealing that CABMMA not involved in the battery of tests that determined the need for Belfort to make use of testosterone.

Vitor got clearance for use of hormonal reopsição (UFC Photo)
    "We took the forms of the Commission of Nevada and kept their decision. From the upcoming events (in Brazil), this process will be done with us, "he says.

Excusing the broken english translation, it sounds like he is saying "we didn't do anything, we just copied the NSAC decision". Which is very dodgy given Kizer's comments. The fact that Belfort was the "home team" fighter is a rather big co-incidence imo.
    I'd be making this well know if I was Bisping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

I read a comment from one of the Nevada state athletic commission guys there last week saying that they would not give TRT exemptions for anyone with a past history of steroid taking... so presumably that means Belfort won't be able to fight outside Brazil for now if he's still taking TRT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Overeem out against Dos Santos for the bout in May. Wonder if Werdum will be moved to this from his fight with big Nog. Perhaps even a Mark Hunt matchup depending on how long he's out?

unknown13 wrote: »
    Overeem out injured of the JDS fight. Might suck but we will get a decent replacement with the timing of the fight being about 8 weeks away.

I am going to stick my neck out on the line here and say Mark Hunt will be the replacement.

Hunt said he wanted the fight, but apparently it's being postponed and will happen on another card a month later.

Dana says that Hunt turned it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hunt prob said he wanted it but would like to get paid 10 grand instead of his usual 6 grand fee, then dana threatened to cut him.

Don't believe Dana at all. JDS wasn't probably in camp the fight its that far away, he is probably saying that so he can pull JDS off the card and keep the fight with Overeem because it makes too much sense at this point. Both were clearly beaten in their last fight on the same card.

Ariel just tweeted that Hunt-JDS is on for UFC 160

Ariel just tweeted that Hunt-JDS is on for UFC 160

If he turned down the fight in the first place they wouldn't offer it to him again especially since it is so far away and will get a proper one or slightly shorter one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think that's an absolutely awful match up for Hunt. If he lost his last fight he was probably on his way out the door. The guy is 39 in a few days.

If he wins though, it's huge.

yeah but very brave by Hunt to take it at his age... just in his character not to turn down a fight I suppose. Logic points to an incredible beating by JDS and with rare chins like Hunt has that is a dangerous prospect because he won't get KO'd and he'll just keep taking those punches again and again. I hope the ref uses his discretion and stops it before he's brain damaged. ON the other hand he could throw a looping hammer and floor JDS but HIGHLY unlikely. He hasn't got the movement, wrestling, ground game, footwork OR gas to challenge JDS. Pride and money motivate people to do stupid things. Nelson was the kind of guy he should be up against. Dana is taking advantage of his price and courage IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Possibly will go the same way as JDS-Nelson. A 1-sided beatdown, albeit a highly entertaining one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement