Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I love this match up. Hunt has won his last 4. This is his opportunity to beat one of the best in the world, a guy who will stand with him, and get himself a title shot before he retires.

I'll be cheering on Hunt in this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I love this match up. Hunt has won his last 4. This is his opportunity to beat one of the best in the world, a guy who will stand with him, and get himself a title shot before he retires.

I'll be cheering on Hunt in this one!

But will JDS stand... I have a feeling he will try and take advantage of Hunt's
    weaknese on the ground.

I really hope I'm wrong though. It just seems like the obvious thing to do against Hunt.

Especially after the beating JDS got. I have a feeling he will play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Absolute disillusion to think Hunt can stand or wrestle or ground fight with JDS IMO.

JDS will be able to keep him at range, comfortably, using kicks and his long jab to pick him apart with ease, and if needs be, wrestle to the fence and take him down.

I have great respect for Hunt but not in a serious MMA sense - not in terms of top top drawer competition - get real the guy has a granite chin and a massive punch.. in fairness. He's a beast but he's not an all rounded MMA fighter, has no gas, has no ground and has no movement - at the TOP level - which is where JDS is - the very top top level.

He won't be able to get back up with JDS on top like he did against predictable Rothwell. He won't be able to stalk JDS he'll be too busy getting kicked and jabbed and punched. His only chance is too assume he has a better chin and instigate an all-out flurry of punches and hope he drops JDS before JDS drops him. That's the smartest strategy for Hunt in this fight. Respect for taking it, big money, big pay-off etc... but JDS has nothing to gain in this fight and everything to lose. If 39 year old Mark Hunt beats JDS I'll eat my proverbial hat. Poor match up IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah imagine if struvue had gotten hunt to the ground....he would have been submitted in seconds..and JDS has submitted so many opponents, remember his great groundwork when he fought cain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah imagine if struvue had gotten hunt to the ground....he would have been submitted in seconds..and JDS has submitted so many opponents, remember his great groundwork when he fought cain

If ever there was a need for a sarcasm font then this is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Absolute disillusion to think Hunt can stand or wrestle or ground fight with JDS IMO.

JDS will be able to keep him at range, comfortably, using kicks and his long jab to pick him apart with ease, and if needs be, wrestle to the fence and take him down.

I have great respect for Hunt but not in a serious MMA sense - not in terms of top top drawer competition - get real the guy has a granite chin and a massive punch.. in fairness. He's a beast but he's not an all rounded MMA fighter, has no gas, has no ground and has no movement - at the TOP level - which is where JDS is - the very top top level.

He won't be able to get back up with JDS on top like he did against predictable Rothwell. He won't be able to stalk JDS he'll be too busy getting kicked and jabbed and punched. His only chance is too assume he has a better chin and instigate an all-out flurry of punches and hope he drops JDS before JDS drops him. That's the smartest strategy for Hunt in this fight. Respect for taking it, big money, big pay-off etc... but JDS has nothing to gain in this fight and everything to lose. If 39 year old Mark Hunt beats JDS I'll eat my proverbial hat. Poor match up IMO.

If Hunt beats JDS I will actually eat a hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Bas Rutten is on joe rogan's podcast right now, for anyone interested:

http://www.ustream.tv/joerogan

adamski8 wrote: »

Fair enough Hunt did really well sweeping Struve and getting up.
    Junior Dos Santos is a BJJ Black Belt he can't be that bad on the ground.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

weemcd wrote: »
    Bas Rutten is on joe rogan's podcast right now, for anyone interested:

http://www.ustream.tv/joerogan

He was on before with him, has such incredible stories. Really interesting character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Are there any real credible contenders for Cain apart from JDS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Steve O wrote: »
    Are there any real credible contenders for Cain apart from JDS?

After what Cain did to JDS can you really call him credible??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The heavy weights are all over the shop. Knocking the bejaysis out of one another with nobody looking spectacular or a proper challenge to Cain. I'm sure Dana White wished Overeem won, that had huge pay day written allover it if he had then gone on to beat JDS. But now ... well, what about Cormier? who doesn't like the idea of fighting Cain, but he looks about the best to take him on style-wise right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ideally, Cain and Cormier don't want to fight each other but they've said they'll do it if needs be. I like that attitude. Both good guys that have their heads screwed on.

Cormier was also talking about dropping down to face Jones. Id love to see that fight although I could see Jones taking it. Be interesting though to see how Jones would handle a few solid punches from Cormier.

scudzilla wrote: »
    After what Cain did to JDS can you really call him credible??

Not one other man in that division could have taken that kind of punishment as long as JDS. Plus the fact that he has a win over Cain already.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Ideally, Cain and Cormier don't want to fight each other but they've said they'll do it if needs be. I like that attitude. Both good guys that have their heads screwed on.

Cormier was also talking about dropping down to face Jones. Id love to see that fight although I could see Jones taking it. Be interesting though to see how Jones would handle a few solid punches from Cormier.

I forgot about Cormier, that is a very well matched fight. Both have solid boxing and wrestling.

Not one other man in that division could have taken that kind of punishment as long as JDS. Plus the fact that he has a win over Cain already.

Roy Nelson maybe?? But i see where yer coming from, I think this is just because Cain is head and Shoulders above the field, we've had this so often in the HW division though, when Lesner came in, it was all "He's never gonna be beat", then he gets beated ;)

Roy Nelson maybe?? But i see where yer coming from, I think this is just because Cain is head and Shoulders above the field, we've had this so often in the HW division though, when Lesner came in, it was all "He's never gonna be beat", then he gets beated ;)

I have been a big fan of cain since the early days, the guy has worked his a$$ off perfecting his game. It is shame that the competition is complete cack as he could pull off a few classics.

I have been a big fan of cain since the early days, the guy has worked his a$$ off perfecting his game. It is shame that the competition is complete cack as he could pull off a few classics.

The competition has pretty much ALWAYS been crap in the HW division.

The competition has pretty much ALWAYS been crap in the HW division.

Very true.

Werdum will beat Big Nog and be next for the title shot, IMO.

• Advertisement

Dana White has confirmed that, should Hunt beat JDS, he gets a pop at the belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

i hate how there was a slight chance that Hunt wouldn't get a title shot if he beat JDS. same way it was with Overeem v Silva, Overeem was getting the shot if he won, Silva only got it because Werdum wasn't free and JDS couldn't face him after getting battered. fights like these should be number one contender. matches, if Hunt isn't in title contention after beating JDS why should he be put against him at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Id love to see someone with vicous leg kicks fight jones properly and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 39,332 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

With the state of the HW div, I don't think that was ever in doubt.
    i hate how there was a slight chance that Hunt wouldn't get a title shot if he beat JDS. same way it was with Overeem v Silva, Overeem was getting the shot if he won, Silva only got it because Werdum wasn't free and JDS couldn't face him after getting battered. fights like these should be number one contender. matches, if Hunt isn't in title contention after beating JDS why should he be put against him at all

When was Hunt ever not in title contention?
    Just because Dana confirmed it when asked doesn't mean that it was ever not the case.

Unless I misread, Dana said he has to win by TKO/KO to get the shot.

EDIT:
    Following today's UFC 158 pre-event presser in Montreal, UFC President Dana White told a group of reporters that should Mark Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) score a knockout win over former champ Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) at May's UFC 160 event, "The Super Samoan" would likely earn himself a UFC title shot.

MMAJunkie.com

this is a lose/lose for JDS. Makes it a bit exciting, but surely JDS will pick him apart and wilt his cardio and then finish him. If Hunt knocks him out then he does deserve a shot I just don't think there's enough reason to think he has a decent chance. I still think JDS can beat Cain in the rubber match.

I still think JDS can beat Cain in the rubber match.

How can you come to that conclusion? It wasn't as though the last fight was even close

How can you come to that conclusion? It wasn't as though the last fight was even close

Yea, I'm a huge JDS fan but have to agree with the above. I could barely watch the beating he took from Cain. It was one of the most one sided fights I've ever seen and especially to go on for 5 rounds...

because MMA get's confusing in how you judge guys, especially off of one encounter. You could just as easily rate who's better based on the first fight early knockout. I don't see any difference even though it goes against traditional MMA logic. Having a great game and unbelievable cardio is over rated sometimes. JDS can just hit you once or twice and it's over and he knows how to do that so well - so - even though his all round game is inferior to Cain's (and I do believe it is) he has an elite punchers chance in the first two rounds every time he gets in the cage and it usually pays off. It didn't last time, I think it can as easily this time. Simple as that. Cain is the fitter harder fighting better rounded guy when it comes to every area apart from knocking you out. JDS can very easily put a fist on you in the first 2 mins and it's over and with more boxing skill than Hunt or Big Rig. He did it to Cain before he can do it again. You just can't compare 'game' to knockout skill that's the beauty of watching MMA. I genuinely think JDS is so good at MMA boxing he can easily knock out Cain in the rubber match. But likewise Cain can outcardio outwork and outwrestle him. Remember Cain didn't manage to finish a truly tired JDS in the last fight even though he shocked JDS with a good strike early on and then gassed him after that. JDS is just more dangerous is what I'm awkwardly trying to say.

Cain's cardio in the last fight is definitely the best cardio I've ever seen expressed in MMA in 10+ years of watching, for a big man to move like that for 5 rounds in all ranges is astonishing. So you really have no choice but to knock him out anyway.

• Advertisement

We should really be ruling the first fight out as Cain was nowhere near fit, the only fight where they've both been 100% and Cain destroyed JDS.

I'm not knocking JDS here, i like him.

You say that JDS has a great punch and a punchers chance, you could say that about 75% of MMa fighters in general. JDS had 5 rounds to tag Cain in the last fight and didn't get ANYWHERE near, can't see it being diiferent next time either

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement