Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The cure

• 13-10-2010 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I wanted to know whether people go for "the cure" after a session . Personally i will go sometimes if there is a match on or something and a few pints of stout really sorts me out. those can turn into nice little sessions in their own right and can be more enjoyable than the night before Sometimes if im at home and theres a couple of cans ill have them. Conversely i have a lot of friends who couldn't bear to drink when hungover.
    Whats everyone thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mmmm, whiskey on my cornflakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Can't really drink two days in a row anymore.
    Used to be able to do it when i was a bit younger, but now, prefere a cup of tea when hungover than a beer :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I prefer Nine Inch Nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I'd have to agree, the cure can be great or can get very messy too :-) and it really ****s up Mondays...

Depends what I've been drinking the night before too. If I've had red bull, forget about it, I could barely talk. But I gave it up and my hangovers have improved so much. It's worse than any alcohol.

As for an actual cure, I'll make a milkshake outta bananas, vanilla ice cream and milk. Secret is to drink it slowly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

ill go for a cure but if that turns into a session itself id be 10 times worse the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

Best thing after a heavy sesh IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Depends on the intensity of the session the night before. Some sessions take it out of you more than others so it depends on how much and what you were drinking the night before.

Sometimes a good guinness scutter will clear the pipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Tom Slick wrote: »
    Eh...how shall we put it...you're an alcoholic:D (that's for me spelling it right)

I dont think so but the attitude a lot of people have. I will drink the next day instead of eating certain foods like some people do to cure there hangovers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Never.
    "The cure" just leads to another hangover.

The only real cure is re-hydration and time.

If you're going to get drunk, then you have to accept the hangover.

Drink plenty of water the next morning. Do not eat for about 2 hours after waking up, unless you are going to do some exercise.
    It's a false hunger, and early eating will only lead to you feeling sick. Water is the way forward*.

*Low sugar fruit is acceptable, as is McDonald's food (not their breakfast).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dreams aloud

Oh god no, think it's mainly a thing fellas do. Well i've never heard any of my girl friends suggest it, it's always the lads..we're too sensible :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Can't really drink two days in a row anymore.
    Used to be able to do it when i was a bit younger, but now, prefere a cup of tea when hungover than a beer :o

The above for me but without the tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

"The Cure" :rolleyes: . I hate the way all these things have names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

First one the next day takes an awful long time to get down but it does work wonders...

That being said, based on what i was drinking the night before, there's times I couldnt even look at a drink the following day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Next day cure/session is almost always better craic. The first pint is dodgy but after that you're dead on.

Best non-alcoholic cure is a full Irish, tea, orange juice and plenty of water. You need rehydration, sugar, salt, and citric acid.

Cianos wrote: »

Why?

Next day cure/session is almost always better craic. The first pint is dodgy but after that you're dead on.

Best non-alcoholic cure is a full Irish, tea, orange juice and plenty of water. You need rehydration, sugar, salt, and citric acid.

I've only done it once or twice but i find Berocca's to be brilliant hangover curers.

Take one tablet, place in a glass, add beer and you're sorted...

Cianos wrote: »

How is one expected to know of what you speak unless you tell them.

Can't we all just man the f*ck up

orourkeda wrote: »
    How is one expected to know of what you speak unless you tell them.

Concurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

orourkeda wrote: »
    Can't we all just man the fUck up

Good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

About 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

The-Rigger wrote: »
    About 3 days.
    Bingo.
    If the fear was invoked, 4 days.
    Christ I'm getting old.

An all day session incures a 3 day penalty. For me those are the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

After a big session, I always drink a pint or two of water before bed, and then another 2 or 3 pints before eating anything the next day.

I also don't eat until at least an hour after getting up and I generally only eat very lightly for the whole of the next day...2 slices of toast and a glass of orange juice for breakfast, a small bit of meat and a spud for dinner and some vegetable soup for tea. I never have an appetite after a heavy night's drinking and I never feel like eating a greasy fry or chips. A chicken fillet roll can be lovely the odd time if you haven't eaten since dinner the day before but normally my appetite will have vanished.

If I reach about 4 or 5 o'clock and have a bit of nagging but not too painful headache after a night's drinking, but don't have a sick stomach, I'll drink a can or two of guinness..I find it gets rid of the headache and takes the edge off the whole hangover, and doesn't leave me feeling worse the next day. Only works with stout though...could never touch spirits after a heavy session, and lager sometimes gives me heartburn if I drink it for a "cure" after drinking 10 pints of it the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

An all day session incures a 3 day penalty. For me those are the rules.
    Really ? Ive had a hangover for 2 days and the second day was more of a tiredness than anything

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Really ? Ive had a hangover for 2 days and the second day was more of a tiredness than anything

Eh tiredness is what I'm talking about. 3 days for me as I've said.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Mostly if were out saturday its an early sunday and that does normally get very messy and ends up turnin into an all day session :) which normally are better than the night before, silly sundays, ya cant bate em :P or remember em.. mostly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

ah yes i love the next day drinking after a session,always better crack because everyone is messy but its like its acceptable because you were out the night before!!

anyone experienced the all you remember is going for a few friday then waking up monday morning depressed as **** after loosing the whole weekend to the gargle,worst feeling ever,sundays are soooooo dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Six solpadine, five can's of Red Bull, two gallons of ice cold water, sunglasses, twenty five assorted flavoured large cool pop's (pre frozen if you know your stuff) and a paramedic. I have as you can probably guess been on a couple of benders in my time :D

cock robin wrote: »
    I have as you can probably guess been on a couple of benders in my time :D

How did they feel about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The cure are a dodgy english goth type band. I believe what you seek is known as "the curer" and it f'ucking rocks! Defo works in my humble opinion, but then i've never had a hangover (lucky genetics), so i can really only vouch for it tasting nice!! Yum yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A shag and another drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Insurgent wrote: »
    How did they feel about that?

They enjoyed it I think ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Terry wrote: »
    Never.
    "The cure" just leads to another hangover.

The only real cure is re-hydration and time.

If you're going to get drunk, then you have to accept the hangover.

Drink plenty of water the next morning. Do not eat for about 2 hours after waking up, unless you are going to do some exercise.
    It's a false hunger, and early eating will only lead to you feeling sick. Water is the way forward*.

*Low sugar fruit is acceptable, as is McDonald's food (not their breakfast).

This is true.

I call it the hangover triangle. Food, water, sleep. Address these and your hangover will eventually go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

A shag and another drink.

Bigtime, temporary relief from a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sometimes I have a goo on me for another drink, sometimes all I want to do is lie on the couch, drink club orange or "pedal" me way thru it. I take each hangover on its merits :p

I always go for more funds depending. Friday, head out after work. Sometimes messy, sometimes not. Will go for a few early ones on Saturday. Might stay out or might do a split shift.

Then back out on Sunday afternoon. Mondays can be a killer though.

You cant beat the cure. Its especially good if you dont have work the next day as the cure often turns into a session.

However contrary to what one or two have said if you can limit yourself to 5 or 6 pints you can actually avoid the hangover, drink enough to cure yourself but not enough to make a hangover for the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

no recession around this thread

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

what a disapointing thread :( i was hoping for Robert Smith and Porl Thompson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

This thread is putting the goo on me. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'm adding "session", "the cure" and "goo" to my list of hated words.

How "awesome".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm adding "session", "the cure" and "goo" to my list of hated words.

How "awesome".

giggidy giggidy goo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 KilaWhale

Hangover headache is caused by the brain shrinking due to slight dehydration which causes it to move away from the skull. Apparently different types of alcoholic drink contain different levels of toxin - vodka is quite pure whereas wine contains a lot of toxins - the degree to which your liver has to work flushing the toxins out of the body determines how much water the body is losing and how dehydrated the brain will become - wine will give you a much worse hangover than vodka....

That was a very nerdy first post

KilaWhale wrote: »
    Hangover headache is caused by the brain shrinking due to slight dehydration which causes it to move away from the skull. Apparently different types of alcoholic drink contain different levels of toxin - vodka is quite pure whereas wine contains a lot of toxins - the degree to which your liver has to work flushing the toxins out of the body determines how much water the body is losing and how dehydrated the brain will become - wine will give you a much worse hangover than vodka....

That was a very nerdy first post

010011100110111100100000011010010111010000100000011101110110000101110011011011100010011101110100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Bizarrely I've found physical excersise works very very well. First noticed this when I went to the gym on a really bad hangover. Only went because I had prev agreed to go there with a girl I fancied the arse off. Anyway post workout noticed hangover completely gone.

Today I woke up in an awful state. Had a good skinful last night and very little sleep. Felt awful this am. Though cycled into work(about 7 km) and felt way way better. Not as good as after the gym but still superior to drinking a load of water/having a fry etc

with a girl I fancied the arse off.

Well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

A hearty, heavy, dump, a five mile run, cold shower and a fry. Then one or two pints in the evening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement