Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quinn Direct & delivery business

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got stopped by the gardai tonight while delivering pizza. The garda told me that my private quinn direct motor insurance policy didnt cover me for delivering and technically I was driving without insurance.

He's now gonna do me for driving uninsured.

Is this right? Or more to the point is there anyway I can get out of this??

Cheers for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Sounds right. Commercial activity in a private vehicle requires special insurance.

Get a solicitor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Guard is right.

Your using the car for work purposes but only insured for social, domestic & pleasure purposes. Even in the event of an accident your insurance company may pay out to a 3rd party but if they do they will take you to court for the money they paid out as you didn't declare the car for work purposes.

As above poster said, get a solicitor but I don't see how he will get you out of it if it goes to court. Claim stupidity maybe? Worked for the bint on the m50 kind of

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Cheers for the replies folks. Luckily enough the gaurd took some pity on me and let me off with a warnin!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wonder how much that goes on in the world of food delivery?
    I sincerly doubt the majority of them have the required insurance.

OP please heed this warning and look into getting the correct insurance, you won't be so lucky next time, or worse if you have an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I wonder how much that goes on in the world of food delivery?
    I sincerly doubt the majority of them have the required insurance.

OP please heed this warning and look into getting the correct insurance, you won't be so lucky next time, or worse if you have an accident.

I would say the majority are at the same. Some knowingly but some out of stupidity. I wonder do the restaurants inform their drivers of this requirement?

The restaurants woudln't really have to. As the owner/driver of the car it is your duty to insure it is fully road legal and all that lark. To have a full licence etc comes the responsibility of everything with the car. The I didn't know / realise excuse should be thrown out the window in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Yawns wrote: »
    The restaurants woudln't really have to. As the owner/driver of the car it is your duty to insure it is fully road legal and all that lark.
    If a restaurant or similar is hiring in subcontractors to deliver its goods, there is an obligation on them to ensure they are fully compliant to carry out the function they are engaged to do

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The businesses concerned will probably get the drivers to sign a form stating their vehicles are insured, taxed, NCTed etc and indemnifying the business in the event of an accident. AFAIK the businesses are then off the hook legally.

This is happening more and more with deliveries from businesses and with people doing paid child-minding work in the childrens' homes. The child-minders are expected to collect the children from school in their own cars as part of their duties and they are not insured.

To OP - now you know the score, get proper insurance or give up the delivery job. If you have an accident on your delivery run, I'll wind up paying the costs with increased premiums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

mathepac wrote: »
    The businesses concerned will probably get the drivers to sign a form stating their vehicles are insured, taxed, NCTed etc and indemnifying the business in the event of an accident. AFAIK the businesses are then off the hook legally.
    It wouldn't be enough for the driver to sign the indemnity, it would have to be provided by the insurer

• Advertisement
Advertisement