Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Hey, Yeah I'm in Douglas, forgot to mention it!, I'll try it out in the next hour when I get in the car. I'm in CIT so most of the areas You have done I will be able to test over the next few days. I'll probably be in one or two of the locations tonight. I'll let you know how it goes, Looking forward to it though;)

As You said hopefully others can help collect data and then all of it can be combined into one worksheet.I was thinking I could do some as well and we could combine them make it easier for both of us and quicker.

Right I'm browsing the Spreadsheet and I see what You mean, thats great, I know it's extra work but it mightn't be much more difficult to include speed limits like Irishspeedtraps.ie. Using streetview and Navteqs maps and stuff I'm sure it can be done without leaving the PC. I'm going to include them here for testing if it's alright. I'm also just going to edit it and say Entering or leaving the speed trap location also, just to see how good it can be.

Don't take it as critism but the more informative the better!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

C4Kid wrote: »
    Hey, Yeah I'm in Douglas, forgot to mention it!, I'll try it out in the next hour when I get in the car. I'm in CIT so most of the areas You have done I will be able to test over the next few days. I'll probably be in one or two of the locations tonight. I'll let you know how it goes, Looking forward to it though;)

As You said hopefully others can help collect data and then all of it can be combined into one worksheet.I was thinking I could do some as well and we could combine them make it easier for both of us and quicker.

Right I'm browsing the Spreadsheet and I see what You mean, thats great, I know it's extra work but it mightn't be much more difficult to include speed limits like Irishspeedtraps.ie. Using streetview and Navteqs maps and stuff I'm sure it can be done without leaving the PC. I'm going to include them here for testing if it's alright. I'm also just going to edit it and say Entering or leaving the speed trap location also, just to see how good it can be.

Don't take it as critism but the more informative the better!:D

Excellent. We have to make sure that what ever message we put in fits on the screen though. Speed limits as you say would be good too.

Perfect, I'm playing around with the text, the speed limit is the most import without a doubt in this case! If the heading doesn't fit We might leave it out and just replace it with ENTERING SPEED TRAP MAX 50Km/h or something that would be more relevant for the purpose of the program. thats my opinion anyways:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i can see this over complicated, afaik ya cant set it so it will say entering from both sides so could cause a lot of confusion

Perfect, I'm playing around with the text, the speed limit is the most import without a doubt in this case! If the heading doesn't fit We might leave it out and just replace it with ENTERING SPEED TRAP MAX 50Km/h or something that would be more relevant for the purpose of the program. thats my opinion anyways:D

You'll have to have information come up which will let you figure out wether you are entering a speed trap area or exiting a speed trap area.

I'd love to know if you can enter information so that the warning stays up for the entire length of a specificed area.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    i can see this over complicated, afaik ya cant set it so it will say entering from both sides so could cause a lot of confusion

THe only way to work this is to have an alert where the area starts and where it ends and to know wether you are entering this area or exiting it.

Speed limit warnings would be good too.

You'll have to have information come up which will let you figure out wether you are entering a speed trap area or exiting a speed trap area.

I was just looking at what I was saying about ENTERING and LEAVING and that won't work because it's set text as You say it needs to be written so the driver can determine if they're entering or leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Can u convert to navigan for iPhone 3G

I was just looking at what I was saying about ENTERING and LEAVING and that won't work because it's set text as You say it needs to be written so the driver can determine if they're entering or leaving.

The only way I figure is to write down Speed trap heading North. If you're heading north on the road you know you are entering it. if you're heading south you know you're exiting.

It means that every single co-ordinate will have to be tailored to the direction the road is going.

paconnors wrote: »
    Can u convert to navigan for iPhone 3G
    i was trying to do the same thing but not sure iif its possible, have a look in the apple forum, i asked in a thread there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

you right there

Will there be a margin of error, eg, doing 104 KM/H in a 100 Zone? I'm presuming there has to be.
    like the garda checkpoints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

We don't know, but seeing as they're under instruction from the Gardai, I'd say it's reasonable to assume they'll use the same margin of error that the Gardai use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

there seems to be an issue which i have not seen yet

the AA agreed to this pending the local councils put up signs
    THERE IS NO SIGNS UP AS YET ANYWHERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

AA? local councils? feck all to do with them isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

some good work here lads...well done C4Kid and August

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Tom Tom File

I've read that a Tom Tom uses a OV2 file so here it is.

Just a quick question guys. We need our sat navs to warn us that we are in the stretch of road with speed cameras. I think these files only have co-ordinates for one point for each stretch of road. Dunno how useful they will be.

Think we need someone with a big more expierience of using these files.

Works perfect on iPhone4...cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

slimjimmc wrote: »
    ....... Likewise, the Gardaí will not get a cent from the fines and contrary to pub myth, never ever did. So 100% fines go to the State, as always..

...what, you didn't know the GTC worked for the State ???

No-one ever suggested the GTC got the money: it was always the State.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

can anyone put on an actual map of Ireland with speed check points, and no garmin or i phone or what not add on's needed.

that guardai site just shows a map of ireland, unless I am going blind or something.

dont expect anything too cutting edge from them tbh

have a look at the link i posted on page 1, when ya zoom in it shows the roads highlighted in red

• Advertisement

Works perfect on iPhone4...cheers! :)
    how did ya add it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Phone needs to be jailbroken. sftp the ovi file to the phone:

./var/mobile/Applications/EFF3CB3F-2588-4C2A-BF45-9C2F619F91EA/United%20Kingdom%20.app/United%20Kingdom%20Map/

And your done. Shows up in POIs in TomTom

corktina wrote: »
    AA? local councils? feck all to do with them isnt it?
    this was a condition set by the A A so its not like a bounty hunting scheme there has to be signs put up full stop so if there is no sign its a technical loophole if you ask me check out the sunday world

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jimmynokia wrote: »
    this was a condition set by the A A so its not like a bounty hunting scheme there has to be signs put up full stop so if there is no sign its a technical loophole if you ask me check out the sunday world

I don't see the loophole, you were breaking a bull**** speed limit and you can get out because the local council didn't put up a sign. I don't know how the judge would see that?

I'm investing in a detection system, only way around this extra bull**** safety tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

guil wrote: »
    have a look at the link i posted on page 1, when ya zoom in it shows the roads highlighted in red

ta

its part of the deal i know it sounds like a cheap excuse but its the way it has to be signs up everywhere full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Solitaire wrote: »
    Every straight section of road in the country is going to have a Gitso van or Puma patrol car on it raping every passing vehicle. While every dangerous stretch and black spot is left unmonitored

See, the "problem" there is that most dangerous stretches of road in this country do not have a speed limit that reflects the danger ...instead they come with "SLOW" signs with a little "100" sign nailed to the same post.

No point in setting up cameras there, they wouldn't catch anyone as all sane drivers driver slower there anyway:D

Phone needs to be jailbroken. sftp the ovi file to the phone:

./var/mobile/Applications/EFF3CB3F-2588-4C2A-BF45-9C2F619F91EA/United%20Kingdom%20.app/United%20Kingdom%20Map/

And your done. Shows up in POIs in TomTom
    ah i have navigon, anyone know what format the maps are, all i can find is ,map but i cant find anything to read it or convert it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jimmynokia wrote: »
    there seems to be an issue which i have not seen yet

the AA agreed to this pending the local councils put up signs
    THERE IS NO SIGNS UP AS YET ANYWHERE

meh, the AA are a commercial organisation, they don't represent anyone

unless you mean the other AA :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Absurdum wrote: »
    meh, the AA are a commercial organisation, they don't represent anyone

:D

exactly my point....they have no mandate to impose conditions, although no doubt they would make this recomendation. they are merely a Company offering a service

Advertisement