Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭IRISHREDSTAR

FF gave a €65 million contract to the GoSafe consortium led by the Spectra company who are owned by H.P. whats next water from I.B.M?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Just heard that stupid advert about the "safety" cameras on the radio again this evening :rolleyes:.

Life savers my arse, more like money makers :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...what, you didn't know the GTC worked for the State ???

No-one ever suggested the GTC got the money: it was always the State.....
    In case you missed it, I was replying to this question by irish-stew in which he asks how fines are distributed, including with the Gardaí; the implication being that the Gardaí directly received a proportion.
    irish-stew wrote: »
    Apolagies if it has been answered but what is the break down of the distribution of all these fines, ie between GoSafe, the Guards, and The Goverment. Or is this known.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Damien360

Loaded the csv file from zipped file on first page to garmin using poi loader. Loader reported 514 locations from that 9kb file but when I look at custom poi in my gamin there are very few and max distance away is 25km. Does not look correct . Anyone else try this and check your custom poi in the gamin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Damien360 wrote: »
    Loaded the csv file from zipped file on first page to garmin using poi loader. Loader reported 514 locations from that 9kb file but when I look at custom poi in my gamin there are very few and max distance away is 25km. Does not look correct . Anyone else try this and check your custom poi in the gamin?

I don't trust that file.

Plus, it's almost useless as it warns you about one point located within a stretch of road. What good is it ?

I'm from Cork, so using google maps etc I've created a csv file which does all of the city and selected other roads I use. The file tells me when I'm entering a zone and exiting a zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Hey, Is it the same CORK.ZIP file You sent to me?I was messing with the files earlier, nothing great yet.:(

Here's my latest file.

Covers the following

- All of Cork City
    - Ballincollig
    - Douglas and Grange
    - Midleton Bypass
    - Cobh
    - Cork to Killarney road
    - Cork to Mallow
    - Tower
    - Fermoy

It doesn't cover

- Cork to Bandon
    - Midleton to Youghal
    - West Cork
    - Anywhere North of Mallow

I'll get all of Cork done eventually. Will prob end up doing all of Munster. Will take time though and I'll add roads to it in priority to which of them I'll be using.

You can edit away the descriptions I've put in for your owns needs. I've tried to put in info which will let me figure out whats happening. No speed limits inputted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

i got the tomtom iphone app so gonna mess around with the file for the kildare area

Balls. I could be anywhere from Derry to Cork, Dublin to Galway on any day of the week. Looks like a file covering that range is going to be impossible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Balls. I could be anywhere from Derry to Cork, Dublin to Galway on any day of the week. Looks like a file covering that range is going to be impossible.

What does the OP's original file entail?

I just loaded it to my satnav but wont get to test it for a few days.

• Advertisement

OK just got it. Downloaded original GPX file on page one from OP post and unzipped it. Then I went to this site http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/extra/ and loaded the GPX file. Click on open and it converted them. Look up to the top right and saved the file as a GPX file (garmin version). Ends up as a 3.3Mb file. Then I used free POI loader to load this to the garmin. Ended up with 4500 locations.

I have yet to test it.

OK just got it. Downloaded original GPX file on page one from OP post and unzipped it. Then I went to this site http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/extra/ and loaded the GPX file. Click on open and it converted them. Look up to the top right and saved the file as a GPX file (garmin version). Ends up as a 3.3Mb file. Then I used free POI loader to load this to the garmin. Ended up with 4500 locations.

I have yet to test it.

What relevence do these points have ? Are they the actual locations where the vans are going to be parked ?

OK, I've taken a look. Each location is a set of co-ordinates for each stretch of road. But it only gives one points within a speed camera zone. I dunno is it very useful as you could drive 2 or 3 miles before you are warned and you could have got done already.

I am not convinced about this at all. The data points exist within the GPX file as I can see them on the converter but when I upload them, I still only get a few of them (30 max). I put a 4GB SD card in the garmin but nothing loaded here so it is not a memory problem. I am beginning to think it may be the garmin, even though it is up to date.

I see your point augustus but 4593 locations is just too much data to organise. If I got the start and end point of the location it would be useful but I would have no way of knowing where a location starts or ends.

I am not convinced about this at all. The data points exist within the GPX file as I can see them on the converter but when I upload them, I still only get a few of them (30 max). I put a 4GB SD card in the garmin but nothing loaded here so it is not a memory problem. I am beginning to think it may be the garmin, even though it is up to date.

I see your point augustus but 4593 locations is just too much data to organise. If I got the start and end point of the location it would be useful but I would have no way of knowing where a location starts or ends.

The start point and end points are on the Garda website in a map.

I've done Cork city by using google maps to get the co-ordinates for the start and end points and giving out relevant information for when I pass one of these points to determine wether I am entering a zone or exiting it.

I take you're point though. There are just too many of these to do by hand. Certainly too many for one person to do by hand anways. As I've said, If I've free time I'll do Munster as it's fairly relevant to my driving. Dublin City could take ages to do by the look of it. Cork wasn't too bad.

If you're wondering, you can do a file yourself in excel.

Column A = Longtitude ordinate
    Column B = Latitude ordinate
    Column C = Text to appear on sat nav.

Delete sheet 2 and 3 at the bottom and name the sheet you are using the same as the name of the excel file. Save the excel file as a csv file and you're finished.

Download my one for Cork and open it up in excel to see what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Thats some really great work Augustus, I'm gonna test them out and add limits and the like.

I took a trip to Charleville today and it worked a treat but that was with my own one point trap saying "Speed Trap Monitor Speed" using the original file. I'm going to upload the modified one in the morning and try it out.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Jsut downloaded trapster on someones advice previously in the thread..

Already a big advocat, no sooner had i sgned up, took 2 miutes, it had told me there was a van beside work..

Low and behold i got up, walked to the window, and there it was..

Has already paid for itself by saving me €80 even though its free app!!!!

stuckinarut - I assume its my posts you're referring to... shucks:o

I've got no connection to Trapster...... other than being a user and fairly convinced that the more users there are, the more useful it'll become.
    Welcome on board :D

As for the rest of you lads sticking with the post-about-it-when-you-get-home.... while I agree that the primary concern of most people will be shifted from avoiding accidents to avoiding vans with camera sticking out the back..... any talk about the garda website, or sussing out where cameras are located and posting locations when you next get online? A waste of time.
    Read the brief these guys have been given, a couple of hours in one spot, then move. In terms of knowing where the 'accident backspots' are: real-time-info. Otherwise forget it.

(I almost forgot the righteous moral high ground part to this post - 'just observe the limit and you've no need to worry about the scamera vans!!') (boo - down with this sort of thing)(etc)

BTW, you can upload each file into the POI editor here.

http://garmin.gps-data-team.com/poi_manager.php

By clicking on map for each co-ordinate, it will show you where in Ireland it is referring to. You can use this to edit your message as you know where the co-ordinates are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

D_murph wrote: »
    Just heard that stupid advert about the "safety" cameras on the radio again this evening :rolleyes:.

Life savers my arse, more like money makers :mad:.
    thats all it is, raising money for the "robbin`hoods", i see some uk councils and police forces have stopped using these cameras in certain areas because it didn`t work.
    there is one of these vans on the tralee/ listowel road every day right under the 60kmh sign, the only thing he is doing for road safety is stopping people getting out of their own driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

Absurdum wrote: »
    meh, the AA are a commercial organisation, they don't represent anyone

unless you mean the other AA :D
    the present government are a commercial organisation, the fianna fail/nama/anglo irish bank group, easy excuses to raise revenue, just put "safety" or "the enviroment" in there and your made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

johndoc wrote: »
    stuckinarut - I assume its my posts you're referring to... shucks:o

I've got no connection to Trapster...... other than being a user and fairly convinced that the more users there are, the more useful it'll become.
    Welcome on board :D

As for the rest of you lads sticking with the post-about-it-when-you-get-home.... while I agree that the primary concern of most people will be shifted from avoiding accidents to avoiding vans with camera sticking out the back..... any talk about the garda website, or sussing out where cameras are located and posting locations when you next get online? A waste of time.
    Read the brief these guys have been given, a couple of hours in one spot, then move. In terms of knowing where the 'accident backspots' are: real-time-info. Otherwise forget it.

(I almost forgot the righteous moral high ground part to this post - 'just observe the limit and you've no need to worry about the scamera vans!!') (boo - down with this sort of thing)(etc)

maybe a facebook page would spread it around too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

Was talking to someone involved with GOSAFE over the weekend about the km over the limit that the camera would trap you. In the UK it is worked out at 10% plus 3,
    e.g. 60mph plus 10% (6mph) plus 3mph, camera snapps you at 69 not 68. this was to allow for tyre wear etc.
    Also, the van will be able to see your speed for up to a KM away but wont be able to read your reg till your within 100metre, maybe less. But now there is talk of photographing the drivers face like in Japan and having to produce both photos for court. So now more points on your dead granny's licence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

brocdubh wrote: »
    the present government are a commercial organisation, the fianna fail/nama/anglo irish bank group, easy excuses to raise revenue, just put "safety" or "the enviroment" in there and your made.

CARBON AND CHEESE and your also made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Speed Camera Discussions Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

-Chris- wrote: »
    Speed Camera Discussions Merged.

thats much easier to read now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

But now there is talk of photographing the drivers face like in Japan and having to produce both photos for court. So now more points on your dead granny's licence.:D
    Hasn't it always been like that with the gatso vans anyway? I know a friend of mine who got snapped and used his dads details as driver. He received a letter with a picture of him driving, asking if he really wanted to say the driver was a 65 year old man when the picture showed he clearly wasn't that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Is it possible to get a file showing the locations (just Dublin & Wicklow would do) that I can download to my Android phone & use with the Google Maps built in SatNav?

Cheers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Was talking to someone involved with GOSAFE over the weekend about the km over the limit that the camera would trap you. In the UK it is worked out at 10% plus 3,
    e.g. 60mph plus 10% (6mph) plus 3mph, camera snapps you at 69 not 68. this was to allow for tyre wear etc.
    Also, the van will be able to see your speed for up to a KM away but wont be able to read your reg till your within 100metre, maybe less. But now there is talk of photographing the drivers face like in Japan and having to produce both photos for court. So now more points on your dead granny's licence.:D

interesting...of course they will never officially say this will be the case that the camera wont snap until you are 10% over the limit...I guessed it might be probabaly a max of 5km.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

http://trapster.com

Doesn't depend on locations provided by the Garda, but by reports sent in by all users so you know it's accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

interesting...of course they will never officially say this will be the case that the camera wont snap until you are 10% over the limit...I guessed it might be probabaly a max of 5km.

They've already said there's 8KPH of leeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So much for all the preaching that these cameras are located in accident blackspots, 2 of them down my way are in areas where there has never been a serious crash,they are situated at speed limit areas where it reduces from 80kph to 60kph.I was skeptical about the "not a money making scheme" rhetoric and now it seems my fears have been proven.:(

Advertisement