Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

KamiKazi wrote: »
    http://trapster.com

Doesn't depend on locations provided by the Garda, but by reports sent in by all users so you know it's accurate.

Are people in Ireland using this. Could be useful if people post up the new camera locations. Just downloaded it to my Android phone to check it out.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

tm2204 wrote: »
    Are people in Ireland using this. Could be useful if people post up the new camera locations. Just downloaded it to my Android phone to check it out.

I use it, tis very handy, tested it out on the way home from Dun Loaghaire to Slane last Friday night and it gave me a warning of a speed check on the M50 and sure enough there was an undercover Mondeo with someone pulled over just up the road from where I got the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

Do you know what is the method for checking speed of this new vans?
    Laser? Radar? Triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Since these cameras are only going be used in accident black spots "apparently". How long will in be before someone crashes into one of the vans and is killed. I never park/pullover at a black spot because its a dangerous and a stupid thing to do.

Since these cameras are only going be used in accident black spots "apparently". How long will in be before someone crashes into one of the vans and is killed. I never park/pullover at a black spot because its a dangerous and a stupid thing to do.

As they say "Dont believe everything you read/hear"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

does anyone know if my regular (illegal) speed camera detector will warn me of the news van? if so how far away will i have a chance of slowing down, if i am speeding?it's not one of the gps ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

bmw535d wrote: »
    does anyone know if my regular (illegal) speed camera detector will warn me of the news van? if so how far away will i have a chance of slowing down, if i am speeding?it's not one of the gps ones.

Your good. They will work fine on irish vans. Though i know you only use it in the north and leave it unplugged south of the border.

Your good. They will work fine on irish vans. Though i know you only use it in the north and leave it unplugged south of the border.

Even unplugged its illegal to be in possession of one in the Republic I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

draffodx wrote: »
    Even unplugged its illegal to be in possession of one in the Republic I believe.

Looks like your spot on. There illegal to carry

It is an offence for anyone to use a speed meter detector in any vehicle in Ireland under the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991. Under this legislation, it is also an offence to import, fit and supply speed meter detectors and jammers.
    The Gardai are empowered to seize this equipment if it is found in your vehicle or in your possession under the Customs Consolidation Act 1876.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

Eventually got onto garda website to check out speed camera areas and i have to say 90% of them in my area are quite reasonable and in areas where the road is very windy and known blackspots, dont know where theyre gonna park them though cos its so bad in some places that there is no hard shoulder. Anyway these dont seem to be money making locations half as much as they are real accident blackspots. Hopefully they stick to these areas...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Are the cameras the regular boxes or are they smaller and harder to see?

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    Are the cameras the regular boxes or are they smaller and harder to see?

There mobile cameras....in vans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

tm2204 wrote: »

Well the more people use it the better it'll be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Well the more people use it the better it'll be :)

Downloaded it there,seems a bit out of date in my area but I guess it needs more users to sort this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Spotted this morning...let the nicking commence...!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

bkehoe wrote: »
    Spotted this morning...let the nicking commence...!

By the time you see the "Slow Down" it will be a tad too late if you are over the limit! :)

KY regs, there is almost a pun there with KY Jelly and us motorist having to taking a "hammering" with money making transits! :P

Wonder what politicians brothers, mates, sons got the contract for those signs eh? Jackie Healy "leprachaun" has probably some link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://af.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idAFTRE6AA3SX20101111
    BERLIN (Reuters) - A German judge has shot to popularity after letting 42 speeding drivers off without charges in the last week because he thinks speed controls merely serve to fill the state's coffers rather than prevent accidents.

Bernd Kahre, spokesman for Herford court in northwestern Germany where judge Helmut Knoener works, told Reuters the 62-year-old wanted to make a stand against the current practice of prosecuting speeders.

He said Knoener believed speed controls were not conducted to ensure greater road safety, but rather to provide the cash-strapped state with an additional source of income.

Knoener sees no legal justification for using photos in speeding-related court cases and is calling for clearer regulations about how, when and where speed controls can be conducted.

But the speeders who think they've got off scot free may be in for a shock yet -- the Public Prosecution Service can still appeal the sentences, Kahre said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Also, the van will be able to see your speed for up to a KM away but wont be able to read your reg till your within 100metre, maybe less.

How long does it take to get a reading? Wondering if keeping your eyes peeled for the van, and then slamming on the brakes to drop your speed a few kmp/h would be sufficient to avoid fine (Obviously after checking rear-view mirror to note if any drivers are behind, as road safety always take priority :) )
    But now there is talk of photographing the drivers face like in Japan and having to produce both photos for court. So now more points on your dead granny's licence.:D

Will have to start wearing a balaclava when driving around so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd say 10 to 20% of Irish motorists losing their licences will be a great boost to the Irish economy.

There'll be a lynch mob outside of Gay Byrne's door if it happens. (Hopefully)

Calm down...calm down...there'll be one for everyone in the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

JayMul wrote: »
    motorway limit is too slow should be 130 at least with more 120 zones and then rural roads should be decreased to 80 where they are sometimes 100. I may be wrong but it seems most lethal accidents occur on backroads.

I agree rural roads should be decreased but considering the sheer amount of drivers who havent a fcuking clue on the motorways, the limits should not be increased. What they should do if they had any sense is have a follow up driving test with motorway driving. It's the only thing I can think of which might possibly stop random lane hogging and undertaking, apart from actual enforcement!!
    Of course you still have the problem of people not having the lights on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

Reading on other threads of people being caught 4 and 5 MPH over the limit [I know MPH] I don't think that there will be a 10% or whatever grace. As people are saying here it is a speed limit and if you are over it you are breaking the law.

It can be hard to keep to 40KPH at the best of times, you could cause an accident because you are spending so much time watching you speed gauge that you take your eyes off the road!

What worries me is the point made below, that the camera can detect your speed up to 1KM away!!
    Does this mean that the camera then records your details when you get closer even though you may now be well within the speed limit??

I am skeptical about the function of this scheme especially when it is run by a private firm. Firms are out to make money full stop.

Let me end by saying this - this scheme is the thing end of the wedge and will get worse - extra camera etc. In the UK for example the camera technology can detect Insurance and tax details and what has happened in some cases is they set up cameras on a road that has only one exit so details are captured by the camera and the police are at the other end of this road and they know exactly who to pull in and for what offence.

Don't forget what the introduction of the NCT was like - nice and smooth and within a year people were being failed because their license didn't display the "IRL"

Was talking to someone involved with GOSAFE over the weekend about the km over the limit that the camera would trap you. In the UK it is worked out at 10% plus 3,
    e.g. 60mph plus 10% (6mph) plus 3mph, camera snapps you at 69 not 68. this was to allow for tyre wear etc.
    Also, the van will be able to see your speed for up to a KM away but wont be able to read your reg till your within 100metre, maybe less. But now there is talk of photographing the drivers face like in Japan and having to produce both photos for court. So now more points on your dead granny's licence.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

You know what one of the worst things about all this is.

There are times when I like to hop in the car to go for a drive to clear the head. Not anymore. I don't think I can risk it anymore. The days of motoring for enjoyment are over.

About the best you can do now is head over the Healy pass. At least the vans can't be hidden there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Heard on the news that they're more of a "deterrent"..:D....they expect us to believe that if in 6 months time when not one person (thats ZERO income) has been done for speeding that they'll be happy..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

......]. Under this legislation, it is also an offence to import, fit and supply speed meter detectors and jammers.
    The Gardai are empowered to seize this equipment if it is found in your vehicle or in your possession under the Customs Consolidation Act 1876.

...indeed.

..I know a guy who imported a car from UK about 18mths ago. For ages, he wondered what the extra cable hanging out of the dash, was. Only whilst rooting around under the bonnet one sunny day did he find out what it was......the cable was a 'remote' for the fixed-behind-the-grille detector.

And, seeing as 'revenue cameras' are now 'speed safety camera's :rolleyes:' - then, surely a 'detector' is now 'safety alert device'.

If it's good for the goose, good for the gander, no ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...indeed.

And, seeing as 'revenue cameras' are now 'speed safety camera's :rolleyes:' - then, surely a 'detector' is now 'safety alert device'.

It is absolutely true!:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Sorry if this has been asked already but...

Do the existing cameras on the M50 work? I drive through the ones at Malahide and Blanchardstown every day under the limit but a lot of people seem to just whizz by them regardless.. :confused: I never see any flashes though..

xzanti wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already but...

Do the existing cameras on the M50 work? I drive through the ones at Malahide and Blanchardstown every day under the limit but a lot of people seem to just whizz by them regardless.. :confused: I never see any flashes though..

Not installed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have to say according to this map

http://www.thejournal.ie/rush-to-check-speed-cameras-crashes-garda-website-2010-11/

some of the locations on the N4/N5 don't appear to be dangerous stretches of road.
    They have earmarked the sections around Rathowen and Ballinalack (182 and 183) in Westmeath and they are pretty good roads in the grand scheme of things.
    I see they have done the old stretch around the Lanesborough-Rooskey junction (376) outside Strokestown after the grand new section where they continually roost on the little hill overlooking the road.
    Again apart from junction the road is pretty good and way better than they other side of Strokestown to Tulsk.

Again they do the section going into Tulsk (374) where the road is pretty good in comparison to what preceeds and succeeds it.

On the N4 there is indeed a dangerous enough section after Castlebaldwin (166) heading towards Sligo and I guess it will mean the guards don't have to resort to hiding in the phonebox in the village anymore.
    Oh wait hasn't that phonebox gone ?

Again section of road to past Ballytore towards Timolin on N9 road to Castledermot is very good road.

The N11 looks to be one of the most dangerous roads in the country.

Looking at all the poiints these cameras are on, it looks like they are roads with hard shoulders where they can park up, so they are not the most dangerous roads.

These are speed cameras and saying otherwise is just a play on words.
    Plain and simple.
    Why not call them Death Prevention Devices while they are at it ?

Galwaytt has good point about installing Safety Camera finding devices in our cars.
    I demand to be able to find these safety cameras.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Christ, reduce road deaths my bum.

Its Ireland, since when have they don't anything fkn right over here, day in day out they fup it up. If they are trying to tell us that this isn't a money generator then I am afraid.

As said looking at some of them speed cameras around Westport and Castlebar, its farcial, the worse speeding spots aren't been hit, they still have a 100kmph sign on my road, if u did 60 you would be doing well!

Idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

If people insisted on their right to go to court to challenge any charge for a speeding offence the court system would quickly grind to a halt. If people are annoyed about the new system then collectively a stand could be taken that would make the system unworkable. There is also an election coming up so make it an election issue when candidates call looking for votes.

Advertisement