Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Would a laser detector be of any use or is an update for a Sat nav the best bet?
    I've a Garmin so I can use Trapster

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

s.welstead wrote: »
    Would a laser detector be of any use or is an update for a Sat nav the best bet?
    I've a Garmin so I can use Trapster

I presume they are illegal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Is there any laws against tweeting/posting on facebook the locations of these camera's? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

yop wrote: »
    I presume they are illegal though?

Not sure. Don't think it's illegal in the UK anymore so we could look to there for precedence.
    Just to make sure I'm talking about a detector not some sort of diffuser that blocks the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Out of interest, by what means do the new vans read speed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

These are public knowledge, the idea being to slow people down. You can upload these to a satnav and you aren't breaking the law (despite what the shaved monkeys in Halfords will tell you). My understanding is that GPS based detectors are fine, jammers/radar detectors are not.

I believe the new Tom Tom devices have the Irish sites pre-installed (but I'm still waiting confirmation before I buy one)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well the guards as wll as various other Media outlets have posted them.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

If everyone was to post a tweet with say #sheepontheroad or even @sheepontheroad when they spotted one (not while driving...of course) then we'd all know where they are at

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

stimpson wrote: »
    My understanding is that GPS based detectors are fine, jammers/radar detectors are not.

Ah, so what legal GPS based detector are we allowed to you, are we saying that sat navs with the cameras uploaded fall into this category?

yop wrote: »
    Ah, so what legal GPS based detector are we allowed to you, are we saying that sat navs with the cameras uploaded fall into this category?

eh...what?

• Advertisement

What GPS detectors can we use then?

Any of them that will let you can upload a custom POI file with the locations.

Like I say, the new Tom Tom's apparently have them pre-installed

Any of them that will let you can upload a custom POI file with the locations.

Like I say, the new Tom Tom's apparently have them pre-installed

Ok and thats what I said in my previous post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Any android apps detailing these locations?

Sorry if this has been posted, to lazy to read the whole thread!

These boys do Android apps, but wouldn't be updated yet.

http://www.trapster.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Looking on the Garda site http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm

There doesn't seem to be many cameras around Dublin or even the M50. Is there more cameras to come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

These are public knowledge, the idea being to slow people down. You can upload these to a satnav and you aren't breaking the law (despite what the shaved monkeys in Halfords will tell you). My understanding is that GPS based detectors are fine, jammers/radar detectors are not.

I believe the new Tom Tom devices have the Irish sites pre-installed (but I'm still waiting confirmation before I buy one)

There's a lad called David who posts on boards from TomTom
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=189234

You could PM him for confirmation, but I understand from him that all their SatNavs (excluding the "Start" model) has the new locations.

Looking there at where I live, anyone who would be about the Castlebar/Westport road would see a crash on a zone there from CLonkeen for about 3km, what is the one area on that road which isn't covered..... Clonkeen!

Anyone who tells me this is the save lives is delirious, or a politician.

Looking on the Garda site http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm

There doesn't seem to be many cameras around Dublin or even the M50. Is there more cameras to come?

I saw a Garda van here today, which isn't on the map above, so it's important to remember I guess that even though the Gardai have instructed GoSafe to operate in certain areas, they still have their own equipment that they can set up where ever they like :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

-Chris- wrote: »
    I saw a Garda van here today, which isn't on the map above, so it's important to remember I guess that even though the Gardai have instructed GoSafe to operate in certain areas, they still have their own equipment that they can set up where ever they like :p.

Yep so we now pay the Gardai and a private company to take our money off us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Sorry now if this has been asked but it is a Megathread!
    Is there going to be road signs erected at the start and end of the zones?

So far it seems you need to go online to see the locations but not everyone has access to see the map.

I've been using trapster, it alerted me correctly to a hairdryer on the M50 last Friday night. It works on reports from people though so not 100% accurate.

Might look into make an app myself that tells you when your entering and exiting a Go Safe designated zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yet another ludicrous waste of money, what the **** was the Traffic corps set up for. Ironically there was a report on the BBC earlier from one of 100's of towns and villages where the police have actually turned off stationary cameras because of the cost involved monitoring them, instead the police are training local citizens to monitor speeds on a voluntary basis. Whilst i am not advocating this approach, mother of god could €65m not have been spent more wisely. What do the traffic corps intend to do now, from what i can see theres little else left for them to do apart from absurd large visible check points at the start of B/H weekends achieving nothing more than massive traffic jams and i suppose justification for there existence. Some of the alleged locations listed on the garda website defy logic with little more than cattle using some routes listed.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Are these cameras active 24 hours a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

with regards to proven very dangerous junctions and blackspots, is it not much cheaper and quicker to simply install a blatant speed camera, would that be a quicker and cheaper way of reducing accidents?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    What do the traffic corps intend to do now, from what i can see theres little else left for them to do apart from absurd large visible check points at the start of B/H weekends achieving nothing more than massive traffic jams and i suppose justification for there existence.

Are you serious??

If this means that the TC can spend more time catching dangerous and drunk drivers and taking uninsured or unroadworthy cars off the road, then fantastic.

Your post suggests that speed detection is the only job they ever did... :rolleyes:

Idbatterim wrote: »
    with regards to proven very dangerous junctions and blackspots, is it not much cheaper and quicker to simply install a blatant speed camera, would that be a quicker and cheaper way of reducing accidents?

Thats the thing, even if it was a dummy camera.

Where did 65m euro come from? Is this the cost over a number of years?

Idbatterim wrote: »

The idea behind mobile cameras is to catch people hit them with a fine and two penalty points and try to deter them from "speeding" through punishment rather than straight out visual determent.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

anyone recommend a good radar jammer? :D
    (seriously)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Number plate flipper FTW.....:pac:

Advertisement