Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Everyone needs to sign up to trapster. It's legal, free and real time. The more people on it the more accurate it will be. The only other option is a UK license.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

Possedion wrote: »
    anyone recommend a good radar jammer? :D
    (seriously)
    detector ? snooper 3 zero;)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Anyone have any idea how often they'll be changing the map?
    I think somebody said something about them changing it monthly somewhere??

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Where can I download the new locations for a Tomtom GPS?

Is it a paid service?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

-Chris- wrote: »
    I saw a Garda van here today, which isn't on the map above, so it's important to remember I guess that even though the Gardai have instructed GoSafe to operate in certain areas, they still have their own equipment that they can set up where ever they like :p.
    There was a crash there early this morning. Are you sure it was a speed camera Gard? May have been just part of the usual safety procedures around a crash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Rawhead wrote: »
    Everyone needs to sign up to trapster. It's legal, free and real time. The more people on it the more accurate it will be.

+1
    +1
    +1
    brophs wrote: »
    Where can I download the new locations for a Tomtom GPS?

Is it a paid service?

Downloading the 'new locations' is a waste of time.
    The 3 hotest trap locations on my 7 mile commute home aren't on the Garda map. I intend to ignore it , stick with trapster, and I'll be significantly more up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Seosaimh77 wrote: »
    There was a crash there early this morning. Are you sure it was a speed camera Gard? May have been just part of the usual safety procedures around a crash

Nope, definitely a Garda speed camera van. Not the first time I've seen them there either...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

-Chris- wrote: »
    Nope, definitely a Garda speed camera van. Not the first time I've seen them there either...
    I've seen them around there too over the last few weeks...catching all the people coming off the m50 who haven't slowed down. Missed them today (which is a good thing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Anyone have a pic of these vans?

what am i looking out for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

here is what to look for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Looking at the mapped areas here in Cork City where I travel, three are in very odd places

the one in grange is into a housing estate where you can't get near 50kph on any part of it,
    a van parked up wouldn't look out of place parked there though

I'd honestly expect the traffic corps to keep they're usual hiding spots and the gatso vans to take place further up the road
    the whole thing about outsourcing to free up services is a bit far fetched to me

Main example being anyone traveling from Mahon northbound through Mayfield
    will have seen the patrol bike with 'togher' on his gun hiding at the end of the tunnel

And further on the Lower Glanmire road which is not a black spot,
    but the limit drops from 100 to 60kph and they can hide behind the bushes where the road curves a little

The Gatso area is further on from this route,
    I have zero trust in what they're saying on the radio and even less respect then that for the bush boys already generating revenue

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

navi-button-sygic-upi.jpg
    For anyone using the Sygic Mobile Maps 10 Navigation here is the UPI file updated with the Safety Cameras.
    1. Put it in Maps/Irl/
    2. Now all POI data will be loaded together with the icon already assigned during next run of the navigation software.
    3. You can show POI category, called 'Speed Cameras', from the list within navigation Main Menu > Manage POIs > Show/Hide POIs button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

skelliser wrote: »
    Anyone have a pic of these vans?

what am i looking out for exactly?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69031327&postcount=381

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 appleseed

I have a quick question. If your car is caught speeding, and you get a fine in post, what happens if you say it was not you driving. (that old chestnut). Eh.. IT was my cousin Paulo from poland, and he is at home now... etc.
    The vans don't stop people right, just photo speeders plates? How will the ?Gardai ensure the right person gets points?

Sorry if that was asked already. And NO, I do not speed and am not looking for a way around speeding fines. I have 2 points from 3 years ago and have been ultra aware since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 appleseed

Looking on the Garda site http://www.garda.ie/gosafe.htm

There doesn't seem to be many cameras around Dublin or even the M50. Is there more cameras to come?

The cameras are to reduce fatalities. There are not many fatalities on M50 so no cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

I saw a Garda van here today, which isn't on the map above, so it's important to remember I guess that even though the Gardai have instructed GoSafe to operate in certain areas, they still have their own equipment that they can set up where ever they like .

I use that road everyday, and without fail you will see that van there at least once a day, if not both in the morning and evening commute home.

It seems to move up and down the road too, parked in the bus lay by, or in the hard shoulder.. its always there!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Looking at the mapped areas here in Cork City where I travel, three are in very odd places

Your right, I was thinking that also, :confused: Theres a one or two around my area that I would never have considered for a speed trap. One is kind of a country road where You would easily do and think 80 is the limit but it's 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Just to confirm all these new speed vans are using Gatso based technology, correct?

Is it illegal to use a Gatso detector? I'm not talking about a jammer but rather a something that picks up the Gatso signal before the van catches you?

Also there's been plenty of new websites, app etc... created of the past few weeks. What do you think is the best approach? Presumably using a GPS with the locations built in would be the best and then use something like trapster as well - a two pronged approach!

Any suggestions on the most suitable GPS for this and what file I need to upload??

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Heres a compilation I did , It has cameras all compiled off a few sites and is for Garmin or TomTom

http://www.filedropper.com/garmincameras2010roi : garmin

http://www.filedropper.com/camerastomtom2010roi : tomtom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heres a compilation I did , It has cameras all compiled off a few sites and is for Garmin or TomTom

http://www.filedropper.com/garmincameras2010roi : garmin

http://www.filedropper.com/camerastomtom2010roi : tomtom

How does this work I have a Garmin Sat Nav so what do I do with the above link and can my Garmin detect Gatso vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

We were working in a guard's house a couple of weeks back when one of the guy's got nabbed with the gatso van, he was asking the guard sort of tongue in cheek could he do anything for him the guard told him that he could do nothing about the van ticket but to ask the Polish fella who works for him to say he was driving as he can't get the points as he's not on an Irish licence. Anyhow the poor Polish guy was hoodwinked into this cunning plan and assured that he wouldn't get any points and sheepishly agreed, fast forward a week or so later what doe's he get in the post only 2 points! fcukin hilarious it still gives me a giggle when I think of it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

Does anyone know the story with the remote control for opening electric gates/doors? Does it only work with radar guns or does it work with cameras too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Light flashing to warn each other its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

kev1.3s wrote: »
    We were working in a guard's house a couple of weeks back when one of the guy's got nabbed with the gatso van, he was asking the guard sort of tongue in cheek could he do anything for him the guard told him that he could do nothing about the van ticket but to ask the Polish fella who works for him to say he was driving as he can't get the points as he's not on an Irish licence. Anyhow the poor Polish guy was hoodwinked into this cunning plan and assured that he wouldn't get any points and sheepishly agreed, fast forward a week or so later what doe's he get in the post only 2 points! fcukin hilarious it still gives me a giggle when I think of it now.

He got a letter telling him his 'shadow licence' had two points. He didn't get two points, as the RSA cannot put points on a Polish licence.

The shadow licence only comes in to play if he needs to convert to an Irish licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

[QUOTE=MYOB;69042119

The shadow licence only comes in to play if he needs to convert to an Irish licence.[/QUOTE]

And there's no fear he'll be doing that anytime soon if he's got half a brain.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

does anyone know have they cameras up near the port road waterford:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Where will the camera vans be parked on main roads etc? Will they be on the hard shoulder or in laybys?

If they are on the hard shoulder, surely that is a danger.
    A vehicle passing by could very easily plough into the back of them.:mad:

They could cause more accidents not prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

If you can't get onto the official Garda Map of the new zones (here: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497) then you could always roll-your-own map - it's pretty simple, you can see how here:
    http://geographic.posterous.com/irish-speed-camera-zones-kml-file-available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Shane732 wrote: »
    Is it illegal to use a Gatso detector? I'm not talking about a jammer but rather a something that picks up the Gatso signal before the van catches you?
    Anything that detects or interferes with the signal is illegal to buy, own, use, etc.

Advertisement