Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

kbannon wrote: »
    Anything that detects or interferes with the signal is illegal to buy, own, use, etc.

Cheers, I reckoned so.

You wouldn't happen to have the legislative reference for this would you? I presume there is some piece of legislation on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Did the piece on the rte news just there say that only 15 vans start at midnight tonight and that the full roll out of just 45 vans will be rolled out in January.

So theres just 45 for the entire country?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(Google is great)
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0050.html
    2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of April, 1991.

3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.

5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.

(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

Trapster users, see here....
    One way to figure out how many people are users, and to spread the word:D

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Trapster-Users-Ireland/166545893376205#!/pages/Trapster-Users-Ireland/166545893376205

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I doubt drivers will have to worry to much about this over hyped new concept, the sight of Ahern and Dempsey's smug faces on the news turned my stomach, anyway no doubt there are numerous solicitors rubbing their hands with glee at the next round of district court appeals as no doubt there will be numerous grounds of appeal on yet another poorly thought out idea. Did anyone notice the 10KY van they used to highlight this exciting new plan of action, Jesus they had to drive a Kerry reg van all the way up for the press launch.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think under the freedom of information act it will be curious to see how quickly and how many speeding tickets

Ambulances get
    Fire Service Vehicles get
    Unmarked cars get
    Government / Ministerial vehicles get
    CD vehicles get ( although will never pay )

It will be interesting also to find out in any 12 month period how many Gatso vans get speeding tickets from Gatso vans. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

appleseed wrote: »
    I have a quick question. If your car is caught speeding, and you get a fine in post, what happens if you say it was not you driving. (that old chestnut). Eh.. IT was my cousin Paulo from poland, and he is at home now... etc.
    The vans don't stop people right, just photo speeders plates? How will the ?Gardai ensure the right person gets points?

Sorry if that was asked already. And NO, I do not speed and am not looking for a way around speeding fines. I have 2 points from 3 years ago and have been ultra aware since.

well the way it works normally is that the fine will go to who the registered owner is, now if the reg owner was your cousin then the fine would be issued in his name and if its not paid a summons would be issued to him but unless he was around to get it then nothing could be done.....on the other hand if the car is reg in your name, the fine will go to you, and the summons aswell and you would either have to get your cousin to admit he was driving it or else go to court and argue it yourself but if hes not there its unlikely you would win the case as if the car is in your name then your resposable for it unless the other person is there to give evidence, but if it happened that he did turn up in court to admit he was driving it then the charge would be dropped as your name is cleared and its now too late to issue a summons on your cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

germanator wrote: »
    well the way it works normally is that the fine will go to who the registered owner is, now if the reg owner was your cousin then the fine would be issued in his name and if its not paid a summons would be issued to him but unless he was around to get it then nothing could be done.....on the other hand if the car is reg in your name, the fine will go to you, and the summons aswell and you would either have to get your cousin to admit he was driving it or else go to court and argue it yourself but if hes not there its unlikely you would win the case as if the car is in your name then your resposable for it unless the other person is there to give evidence, but if it happened that he did turn up in court to admit he was driving it then the charge would be dropped as your name is cleared and its now too late to issue a summons on your cousin

Is this last part correct? Is there precedent for this?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Ireland is becoming a place that I want to be in less and less. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my country but the way things are going, it's pissin' me off.

I don't really see a problem with these vans IN THE RIGHT PLACES for instance streets frequented by many pedestrians etc. where there is a real risk of danger to people, but let's face it, it really truly is a money making plot as we all know.

The fact that this was outsourced to a private company clearly indicates to me that it's for profits only. I have NO PROBLEM with traffic corps doing speed checks on roads that have proven to be accident black spots but I just wholeheartedly disagree with the hidden motives behind this "Campaign".

I would have loved to see this money going into the health sector to improve the treatment of mental health and generally improve awareness of these aspects of the sector because the suicide rate in Ireland is through the roof. This should be much more of a priority for the Government, but I guess there's no money in savin' lives :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Does the cameras in the vans use radar or laser? In other words, would traditional speed camera detectors such as the Valentine V1 work?
    draffodx wrote: »

So theres just 45 for the entire country?

Is that not enough?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 NeonSquares

Dempo1 wrote: »
    the sight of Ahern and Dempsey's smug faces on the news turned my stomach.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

:mad:

Drove from Drimnagh Road to RDS today and not once could I see a speed limit sign. Not one!
    I drove down Drimnagh Road, Crumlin Rd, St Circular, around the Black Horse up towards National Concert Hall and around Adelaide Rd, up the canal from Leeson St bridge, turned at Baggot Stret Bridge, up Pembroke Road to Jurys.

Not one sign to be seen.

I spend most the time looking between my speedometer and the side of the road for a sign. Good thing no one ran out in front of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭paddy462

Will there be any lee-way of about 5-10 Km/hr? It'll be a sad state of affairs if there is not that lee-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Have to say I was surprised, almost shocked to see how well behaved was everybody driving on the M50 this morning (before 7:30 when traffic is still light).

On a related matter, has anybody experienced any problems launching trapster on a HTC handset? Mine just sits there without doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

The van was on hardshoulder between Slieverue and Waterford this morning.at about 8.30. The queue of traffic trying to pass me can be thankfull I didnt pull in and let them by!

I also noticed a lot less agressive driving on my commute this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

eagerv wrote: »
    I also noticed a lot less agressive driving on my commute this morning.

I remember the same thing after the points system was introduced.

For a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

For a little while.
    yea, within a month they were all back to old habits when they realise that there were less gardai patrolling the roads than expected and then there is the rushing to get to where-ever with self pressure (& other half Pressure) to speed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Does the cameras in the vans use radar or laser? In other words, would traditional speed camera detectors such as the Valentine V1 work?

Is that not enough?!!

Looked like a laser system to me. That or K band. Only one way to know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

On a related matter, has anybody experienced any problems launching trapster on a HTC handset? Mine just sits there without doing anything

Make sure your GPS is switched on in your settings. Trapster usually hangs if this is not active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

For a little while.

I think people went back to their old ways because there wasn't much sign of active enforcement.

Things'll be very different this time.... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fuzzy muzzy

era these speed cameras are a joke like waste of money as well

Is that not enough?!!

I had expected a lot more! 45 vans covering over 500 locations isn't as much blanket coverage as I thought they would be doing, still I wonder how many of the 500 locations are actually ghost locations to make it look like they are covering some of the blackspots/bad roads but you'll never actually see them wasting their time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

-Chris- wrote: »
    Things'll be very different this time.... :(

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Two different cameras set up this morning in this 1km stretch of 80kph dual carrageway road between Newbridge and Naas

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R445&daddr=Ladytown,+Naas,+Co.+Kildare+(Ladytown+Business+Park+Ltd.)&hl=en&geocode=FU7oKwMdmGyZ_w%3BFRrmKwMd0C6Z_yGuY7l5dHPLjw&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.207446,-6.735091&sspn=0.008379,0.032787&ie=UTF8&ll=53.207446,-6.726894&spn=0.008379,0.016437&z=15

Edit The first (at point A) was the normal gardai traffic corps. At B was the new white vans

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

tm2204 wrote: »
    Is this last part correct? Is there precedent for this?

yes it is! you see a garda has to make an application for a summons within 6 months of the date of an offence and by the time you would have to be in court it would be gone well over this, so when your name is cleared because the other person admited the offence its too late to summons that person for it and they cant just be done for an offence by admiting it they have to be summons'd so theres nothing can be done

Is that the dual carriageway past that toughers place? All about safety my bollox if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

draffodx wrote: »
    Is that the dual carriageway past that toughers place? All about safety my bollox if so!

The very one

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

its a pure money game for these guys...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Two different cameras set up this morning in this 1km stretch of 80kph dual carrageway road between Newbridge and Naas

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R445&daddr=Ladytown,+Naas,+Co.+Kildare+(Ladytown+Business+Park+Ltd.)&hl=en&geocode=FU7oKwMdmGyZ_w%3BFRrmKwMd0C6Z_yGuY7l5dHPLjw&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.207446,-6.735091&sspn=0.008379,0.032787&ie=UTF8&ll=53.207446,-6.726894&spn=0.008379,0.016437&z=15

Edit The first (at point A) was the normal gardai traffic corps. At B was the new white vans

That's actually pretty clever. People pass the first one and go "hah, spotted", and gun it.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    That's actually pretty clever. People pass the first one and go "hah, spotted", and gun it.

Isn't that the complete opposite of what the authorities say they want?

Advertisement