Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They might just be testing them in some way. OP, what did you come across first?

The Traffic Corps or the Gatso Van?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

spockety wrote: »
    That's actually pretty clever. People pass the first one and go "hah, spotted", and gun it.

lucky for me I saw the bonnet of the cops car as I came over the hill and was well below 80kph before they would have been able to see me. Cruise control on as went past the white van 30 seconds up the road

Hogzy wrote: »
    They might just be testing them in some way. OP, what did you come across first?

The Traffic Corps or the Gatso Van?

Traffic Corps was at point A on my google maps link. The Van was at B

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

draffodx wrote: »
    Isn't that the complete opposite of what the authorities say they want?

Yes, but did you see the two ministers announcing it!

I cant remember the name but the Minister for Transport is saying how he doesnt think or want anyone to get fined. He wants the speed to drop and not to generate income from it.
    All the time Ahern is sniggering beside him.

Very funny to watch.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Isn't that the complete opposite of what the authorities say they want?

Do you believe everything you're told by our Government? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Traffic Corps was at point A on my google maps link. The Van was at B

"€80 for me, €80 for you"

bbk wrote: »

I cant remember the name but the Minister for Transport is saying how he doesnt think or want anyone to get fined. He wants the speed to drop and not to generate income from it.

Very funny to watch.

spockety wrote: »
    Do you believe everything you're told by our Government? :eek:

I dont but countless people do which is how they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

but if you're not breaking the speed limit then ye shouldn't really care too much about these vans..

ewj1978 wrote: »
    but if you're not breaking the speed limit then ye shouldn't really care too much about these vans..

Which is fine if the speed limits were correctly assigned but do you think that 80km/h on a smooth dual carriageway like Kev_Longshanks highlighted is an acceptable speed limit?

I dont.

ewj1978 wrote: »

But of course....dont we all live in a perfect world and abide by every single rule and regulation in the land ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

paddy462 wrote: »
    Will there be any lee-way of about 5-10 Km/hr? It'll be a sad state of affairs if there is not that lee-way.

I doubt it. Know someone who was done for doing 32MPH in a 30MPH zone a few years back.

Did anyone see the the smirk and subsequent stupid grin on Dermot Aherns face when Noel Dempsey said "they hoped not to make any money from this" :mad: on the RTE news last night. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1084904

Fast forward to 9:14

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

jimmynokia wrote: »
    here is what to look for

How about picture of the ar** of the van ?
    That's what really interests me.
    appleseed wrote: »
    The cameras are to reduce fatalities. There are not many fatalities on M50 so no cameras.

Yeah right and there goes a pig by the telephone pole.
    If the cameras are to reduce fatalities how come they are only on the better roads ?
    We all know it is because they need laybys and hardshoulders to park up.
    I know some of the sections of road they are on and I don't recall accidents on them.

Will the cameras be on the sh**e twisted narrow roads at 1am to 7am on Saturday or Sunday mornings ?
    Will they hell. :rolleyes:
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    Light flashing to warn each other its the only way.

Be very careful with that.
    You could be flashing the wrong person. :(
    Must say I have found this habit being used in Canada and Oz and saved me a few quid.
    bbk wrote: »

Very funny to watch.

The smirk on that sanctimonious religious nutjobs (aherns) puss was sickening.

noel dmepsey is the minister of transport and he doesn't need to worry about speed cameras since he likes to fly most places.
    And that doesn't only include his trips to Donegal, he frequently gets chopper trips out to Meath from Dublin.

I am not allowed discuss …

I doubt it. Know someone who was done for doing 32MPH in a 30MPH zone a few years back.

Did anyone see the the smirk and subsequent stupid grin on Dermot Aherns face when Noel Dempsey said "they hoped not to make any money from this" :mad: on the RTE news last night. http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1084904

Fast forward to 9:14

I've two youtube clips showing it a few posts above yours.

Unless you seen the letter don't believe someone telling you they got done for just 2mph over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Which is fine if the speed limits were correctly assigned but do you think that 80km/h on a smooth dual carriageway like Kev_Longshanks highlighted is an acceptable speed limit?

I dont.

If you've just gotten a big campaign with extensive media coverage and easy availability of finding out where the cameras are then you really have only yourself to blame if you get caught speeding. We mightn't agree with the positioning of the cameras but we don't get to choose which laws we obey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

we don't get to choose which laws we obey.

Eh, yes, we do. They haven't actually removed our free will yet.

Even Holy God doesn't do that.

If you've just gotten a big campaign with extensive media coverage and easy availability of finding out where the cameras are then you really have only yourself to blame if you get caught speeding. We mightn't agree with the positioning of the cameras but we don't get to choose which laws we obey.

I never said anything about blaming anyone else if I or anyone else gets caught :confused:
    Eh, yes, we do. They haven't actually removed our free will yet.

Even Holy God doesn't do that.

Well fictional characters would find it hard to do anything in reality :D :P ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

We mightn't agree with the positioning of the cameras but we don't get to choose which laws we obey.

Yer dead right, we should all do what we are told to do. Our laws are perfect after all, as our legislators of the last ten years Fianna Fail should in no way be questioned by the scum citizens of this great little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I never said anything about blaming anyone else if I or anyone else gets caught :confused:

Perhaps I misunderstood you then, if so I apologise. It seems that after reading this thread there is a general belief that the PTB are acting in a dastardly manner putting out speed cameras in locations that the public (for want of a better word) have decided have incorrect speed limits attributed.
    Yer dead right, we should all do what we are told to do. Our laws are perfect after all, as our legislators of the last ten years Fianna Fail should in no way be questioned by the scum citizens of this great little country.
    That's not what i said, but kudos to you for making a provocative response. I am interested to hear that 2 wrongs do indeed make a legal right. I'll be sure to refer anyone that questions my assumption to you - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I agree - the public has decided that they are in areas with incorrect speed limits. Then the public has decided to post here about this, perhaps with a degree of cynicism about the motives of the PTB. Obviously this sort of posting by the public cannot be allowed. Down with these sorts of posts says I.

We absolutely do choose what laws we obey. About a hundred years ago we decided that we did not want to obey the laws and we had this whole independence squabble resulting in Ireland becoming a Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just to clarify on the Garmin and Trapster. I may be wrong, but my interpretation that even a map (Insert phone map, Garmin GPS etc) marked with camera locations in a vehicle was illegal. I think it came up a while ago on a thread here in relation to an Irish SpeedTraps website.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »
    Just to clarify on the Garmin and Trapster. I may be wrong, but my interpretation that even a map (Insert phone map, Garmin GPS etc) marked with camera locations in a vehicle was illegal. I think it came up a while ago on a thread here in relation to an Irish SpeedTraps website.

Nope, only detectors or blockers are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

whats the deal with the cameras attached to poles around the place with a box strapped to the pole at the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

jmayo wrote: »
    How about picture of the ar** of the van ?
    That's what really interests me..

There's a couple of good pictures of a van here (rear view too)
    http://www.towns-ireland.com/picture-of-speed-camera-van/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Two different cameras set up this morning in this 1km stretch of 80kph dual carrageway road between Newbridge and Naas
    :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R445&daddr=Ladytown,+Naas,+Co.+Kildare+(Ladytown+Business+Park+Ltd.)&hl=en&geocode=FU7oKwMdmGyZ_w%3BFRrmKwMd0C6Z_yGuY7l5dHPLjw&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.207446,-6.735091&sspn=0.008379,0.032787&ie=UTF8&ll=53.207446,-6.726894&spn=0.008379,0.016437&z=15

Edit The first (at point A) was the normal gardai traffic corps. At B was the new white vans

I am shocked that they would setup a camera on a road like this, this new setup is to save lives, we know that at least 10 people were killed on that stretch of dual carraige way over the last 2 years.
    That road is SOOOO dangerous and I thank them for identifying it as a blackspot, I will feel so much safer on the road now that we are been minded on such a dangerous stretch of road.

FOOK sake. Once the IMF come in and see that load of bowlax them vans will be down Merlin auctions not too long after that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

blahblah06 wrote: »
    whats the deal with the cameras attached to poles around the place with a box strapped to the pole at the bottom

If you open the black box you will find Bertie "the dick" Ahern in side ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

blahblah06 wrote: »

Research Project.

"The Centre for Transport Research and Innovation for People (TRIP) project based at TCD and with a link with UCC. The aim of the Centre is to develop and deliver cohesive and dynamic interdisciplinary research on a range of topics including ICT in transport, solving urban congestion, quality of life, safety and the environmental impacts of transport".

http://www.tcd.ie/Transport_Research_Centre/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Whats really going to happen here is thousands of commercial travellers out of work and on the dole due to penalty points, it a money making exercise nothin else, but it will cost them in dole payments to out of work travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moneybaggs

12:51 and only one or two sightings reported...I'm surprised.

Over the past couple of days I have read this entire 42 page megathread (God help me!) to finds out the following info...

1. Are there road signage in place to notify you that you are entering / exiting a "Safety" Camera Zone?

2. What, (if any) leniency is there on the speed detected e.g 45km in a 40Km zone, or does 40Km mean 40Km???

Facts & links please people, not hearsay. I have a long's day drive ahead of me and I don't want to have lost my license by the time I get there by being 2 or 3 Km over the speed limits. Thank God for Cruise Control.

Also, I have loaded the Trapster.com app to my iPhone, I am interested to see how effective that will be. I would encourage others to do the same.

Knowledge is Power!

Safe driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Moneybaggs wrote: »
    12:51 and only one or two sightings reported...I'm surprised.

Over the past couple of days I have read this entire 42 page megathread (God help me!) to finds out the following info...

1. Are there road signage in place to notify you that you are entering / exiting a "Safety" Camera Zone?

2. What, (if any) leniency is there on the speed detected e.g 45km in a 40Km zone, or does 40Km mean 40Km???

Facts & links please people, not hearsay. I have a long's day drive ahead of me and I don't want to have lost my license by the time I get there by being 2 or 3 Km over the speed limits. Thank God for Cruise Control.

Also, I have loaded the Trapster.com app to my iPhone, I am interested to see how effective that will be. I would encourage others to do the same.

Knowledge is Power!

Safe driving

you are allowed go 8km over the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Jcastle

Facts: I asked the RSA, the Gardai and the Welsh Office of Go Safe about leniency on the cameras.
    RSA: "The operational deployment of the Safety Cameras is managed by the Gardaí, all queries in relation to the safety cameras should be forwarded to them."

Gardai said " The legal obligation rests on the driver of a vehicle to drive at all times within the speed limit and at a speed appropriate to the driving conditions.

I am not going to answer your specific query, but please be assured the service provider will be operating under the control of An Garda Siochana and enforcement will carried out in a fair manner."

Go Safe Wales said " The ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers) recommended thresholds currently stand at 10% of the speed limit +2mph.
    Cameras in the Wales Road Casualty Reduction Partnership do not trigger at speeds below this."

Advertisement