Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Moneybaggs wrote: »

1. Are there road signage in place to notify you that you are entering / exiting a "Safety" Camera Zone?

No. I don't have a link but they could be anywhere.
    2. What, (if any) leniency is there on the speed detected e.g 45km in a 40Km zone, or does 40Km mean 40Km???

By the letter of the law your over if your over. A car speedo is accurate to +/- 1Km/ph so I suppose if your 1km/ph over, maybe. But remember these systems can measure to decimel points, so if you 1.5km/ph over, your over.

Also, I have loaded the Trapster.com app to my iPhone, I am interested to see how effective that will be. I would encourage others to do the same

Trapster is effective as the people using it. Generally people can't tell the difference between a carpenter's van broken down and a speed camera van, its painfully obvious as if you are half observant you'll see these vans 100's of meters before your on them. Also, what are the odds you won't be the first person on a van? No alert. The ONLY sure fire way to detect these vans is illegal. And even with a detector, your hoping for a good signal and time. Which you may not get at lower power K band.

Just drive at the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moneybaggs

Thank you HondaSam, I spotted that nugget buried deep within this thread...However, when challanged, the source of this key piece of information was not, and still is not revealed.

Has anyone that required link or I will be setting my Cruise Control to 39,49,99 and 119km respectively, much to the annoyance of my fellow road-users...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moneybaggs

Thanks jcastle and ironclaw for your valuable contributions above.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Seosaimh77

Thanks jcastle and ironclaw for your valuable contributions above.
    Agreed. Even if they were a bit contradictory! I reckon I'll be going no more than the speed limit til I start hearing what exactly the situation is with the % leniency allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

ironclaw wrote: »
    No. I don't have a link but they could be anywhere.

Unless I misunderstood, that's incorrect. They'll only be in designated places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Thank you HondaSam, I spotted that nugget buried deep within this thread...However, when challanged, the source of this key piece of information was not, and still is not revealed.

Has anyone that required link or I will be setting my Cruise Control to 39,49,99 and 119km respectively, much to the annoyance of my fellow road-users...

I dont know if this if this is written anywhere but 8kmh is not much leniency anyway, id imagine it would only be beneficial in the lowest zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

-Chris- wrote: »
    Unless I misunderstood, that's incorrect. They'll only be in designated places.

I wouldn't personally bank on it. I certainly won't drop my guard.

As regards the 10% of the speed limit + 2mph (3.2km/ph). At in a 50 zone, thats allows 8km/ph either way. Its 15km/ph in a 120 zone. That seems like a lot. That means you could do almost 60km/ph in a 50 zone, remembering that according to RedFlex (The manufacturers), they're accurate to 1.6km/ph with self-checks. Translates to almost a 5 times error in your speedo versus the van which would be outside a car makers tolerance. Remember your cruise control will also suffer from this error margin (+/- 3km/ph on VW I believe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I wouldn't personally bank on it. I certainly won't drop my guard.

As regards the 10% of the speed limit + 2mph (3.2km/ph). At in a 50 zone, thats allows 8km/ph either way. Its 15km/ph in a 120 zone. That seems like a lot. That means you could do almost 60km/ph in a 50 zone, remembering that according to RedFlex (The manufacturers), they're accurate to 1.6km/ph with self-checks. Translates to almost a 5 times error in your speedo versus the van which would be outside a car makers tolerance.

It's 8km over regardless of the zone you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

A car speedo is accurate to +/- 1Km/ph so I suppose if your 1km/ph over, maybe.

There's accuracy and precision, two different animals. Most speedos are analogue, and certainly not precise to +/- 1 kph.

However, analog speedos generally innacurate on purpose, and overread by a few percent, so if you use your analogue speedo and aim at 120, 80, 50 you won't be over the limit.

At an indicated 130 (on my analogue speedo), I'm actually doing 125 by the digital readout or independent satnav readout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

By the letter of the law your over if your over. A car speedo is accurate to +/- 1Km/ph so I suppose if your 1km/ph over, maybe. But remember these systems can measure to decimel points, so if you 1.5km/ph over, your over.

Is that new cars with the digital speedo? I have an 05 ford focus and its always out by at least 5kph compared to my gps eg at 120kph on the speedo it registers 113kph on the gps. at 60kph it registers about 56 or 57kph. it depends on the car really and the callibration of the speedometer, especially in older cars without the digital speedos.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Speedo or satnav?

When i am doing 80 according my cars speedo, the satnav is jumping on 76/77.
    I would like to believe the satnav as that would get me somewhere just a little bit faster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

inforfun wrote: »
    Speedo or satnav?

The satnav is correct, the speedo overreads (on purpose).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

For arguments sake, isn't the current law that speed camera detection devices illegal?

These however are being marketed as safety cameras :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

1. Are there road signage in place to notify you that you are entering / exiting a "Safety" Camera Zone?

There are signs in my area now indicating you are entering a speed camera area, exactly the same signs you see in the UK.

speedcam.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

12:51 and only one or two sightings reported...I'm surprised.

There are only 15 of these new vans operating at the moment - so the chance of one being spotted is pretty slim.
    They are only contracted to operate for about 4.5 hours per day each - which makes it even slimmer! (Contrtact is worth €65 million - nice work if you can get it!)

Road signage is promised - but it's down to the Councils to put them up.

Once the signs are up (if they ever are) - they will probably reduce speeds much more.
    All this publicity about the cameras is what the Garda/Government want - to give the impression that there will be hundreds of cameras. (There will only be 45) If the signs are put up fairly quickly - then drivers will take notice of them and this scheme might actually work.

See Here http://www.towns-ireland.com/category/speed-cameras/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

I've not read the thread - so apologies if already said/answered!

Just had a quick look at the 'map' not really specific more just a stretch of red on local or regional roads.

I suppose it'll be fairly obvious where they can/could be in such an area.

It'll be great if the signage does go up.

Will it be possible or is it already possible to upload all the locations of speed cameras to a gps device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

kev1.3s wrote: »
    We were working in a guard's house a couple of weeks back when one of the guy's got nabbed with the gatso van, he was asking the guard sort of tongue in cheek could he do anything for him the guard told him that he could do nothing about the van ticket but to ask the Polish fella who works for him to say he was driving as he can't get the points as he's not on an Irish licence. Anyhow the poor Polish guy was hoodwinked into this cunning plan and assured that he wouldn't get any points and sheepishly agreed, fast forward a week or so later what doe's he get in the post only 2 points! fcukin hilarious it still gives me a giggle when I think of it now.

Yeah! So Irish and sooooo proud of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ogham wrote: »
    There are only 15 of these new vans operating at the moment - so the chance of one being spotted is pretty slim.
    They are only contracted to operate for about 4.5 hours per day each - which makes it even slimmer!
    That's way too sensible a statistic for this angry mob thread.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

had trapster on all day today, saved me from the the guard on the N32 this morning plus indicated all fixed locations and where other traps were.

Cant recomend this app enough! every Irish motorist should have it and use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Trapster
    every Irish motorist should have it and use it.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

kev1.3s wrote: »
    We were working in a guard's house a couple of weeks back when one of the guy's got nabbed with the gatso van, he was asking the guard sort of tongue in cheek could he do anything for him the guard told him that he could do nothing about the van ticket but to ask the Polish fella who works for him to say he was driving as he can't get the points as he's not on an Irish licence. Anyhow the poor Polish guy was hoodwinked into this cunning plan and assured that he wouldn't get any points and sheepishly agreed, fast forward a week or so later what doe's he get in the post only 2 points! fcukin hilarious it still gives me a giggle when I think of it now.

That is so funny, however it will be the poles who will be having the last laugh when Ireland gets bailed out by the EU, I'm creasing up at the thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Trapster

Why?

So you can be aware of impending speed traps so you will be able to plan or prepare if ppl jam on their brakes as they spot it at the last minute of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

draffodx wrote: »

Unless you seen the letter don't believe someone telling you they got done for just 2mph over the limit.

My mam got done a few years ago for something similar like 2 or 3MPH over the limit on the Con Colbert Road and I did see the letter but it's well gone by now but if that's anything to go by I'd imagine these guys will take no prisoners.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭superjosh9

Just what everyone needed right now. This is going to be a back-breaker for some.

I'm disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

adamshred wrote: »
    My mam got done a few years ago for something similar like 2 or 3MPH over the limit on the Con Colbert Road and I did see the letter but it's well gone by now but if that's anything to go by I'd imagine these guys will take no prisoners.:pac:

I would have challenged that to be honest, must have been some prick to do someone for 3MPH over! Inaccuracies would surely have to be taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Noel Brett of the RSA:
    "The real way to avoid these cameras is to keep an eye on your speedometer. The idea here is that people change their behaviour.”

There it is from the horse's mouth. Keep your eyes glued to the speedo and to hell with every other aspect of driving such as, say, staying on the correct side of the road (the cause of the majority of fatal 2 car collisions).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Noel Brett of the RSA:
    "The real way to avoid these cameras is to keep an eye on your speedometer. The idea here is that people change their behaviour.”

There it is from the horse's mouth. Keep your eyes glued to the speedo and to hell with every other aspect of driving such as, say, staying on the correct side of the road (the cause of the majority of fatal 2 car collisions).

Its astounding that we have had only 197 deaths on our roads this year when such idiots are in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

draffodx wrote: »
    I would have challenged that to be honest, must have been some prick to do someone for 3MPH over! Inaccuracies would surely have to be taken into account.

I can't remember the outcome but she definitely didn't take it sitting down.

I think I might recruit my road bike more often now because I can still break the speed limits on that thing :P

I'm just curious as to how many of these we will see in the city centre and its surrounding suburbs because that's where I do most of my driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Noel Brett of the RSA:

Eh, those are two different statements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

I can see people going over board with Trapster, people logging every single Grada car on the road. Its a good tool if used correctly! Already seen someone mark Live police all over the place. People are very trigger happy this morning!

Advertisement