Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

had trapster on all day today, saved me from the the guard on the N32 this morning plus indicated all fixed locations and where other traps were.

Cant recomend this app enough! every Irish motorist should have it and use it.

Awesome.. downloaded and installed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

So you can be aware of impending speed traps so you will be able to plan or prepare if ppl jam on their brakes as they spot it at the last minute of course :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How do you "plan or prepare" for people who suddenly "jam on their brakes"?

Oops, nearly forgot to add :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

An apology if this is already covered but...
    I was just wondering what speeds the Guards will be targeting with these cameras?
    I know ten years ago in New Zealand they would issue tickets to the top 10% of speeders. Then as driver behaviour changed they dropped it to anyone 10% over the speed limit. (I.e. anyone doing over 110km/h on a 100km/h road.) Now on bank holiday weekends they target anyone 1 or 2 km/h over the limit. They also target anyone doing over 45km/h round schools.
    It has gotten so strict over there that you do have incidences of drivers watching the speedo instead of the road! (Especially considering most vehicles would be a minimum of 1800cc and the roads are big and wide. I drove a V8 from age 16!)

The camera vans in NZ use to be overt cameras, (they now use covert, ie hidden cameras.) What you learn to look for is vans or Estate type cars, on the side of the road with the back doors open; it’s amazing how quick you can spot them at a distance... If you pay attention!!! Took me three years to get out of the habit here of breaking when ever there was a van on the side of the road with the rear door open!!!!

Also one interesting fact, again from NZ. They could only ticket you IF you where the only vehicle in the photo. This was due to the fact that you could argue in court that the other vehicle in the photo was speeding and set off the camera, not you! Though they make you pay to request the photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

OK saw my first Van just outside mountmellick earlier today, the only thing they are likely to catch there is a cold. One thing i am curious about is the KY registrations, i noticed at the press launch they used a new KY reg van, the van i saw today (different with no markings) was also a KY reg. Looks like some ford dealer in Kerry will have a good Christmas, could it be another FF donor or perhaps O Donahue or Healy Rea getting their Grubby hands in on the tendering process?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Iwannahurl wrote: »

By maintaining a safe following distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Piri

kiwipower wrote: »

The camera vans in NZ use to be overt cameras, (they now use covert, ie hidden cameras.) What you learn to look for is vans or Estate type cars, on the side of the road with the back doors open; it’s amazing how quick you can spot them at a distance... If you pay attention!!! Took me three years to get out of the habit here of breaking when ever there was a van on the side of the road with the rear door open!!!!

Also one interesting fact, again from NZ. They could only ticket you IF you where the only vehicle in the photo. This was due to the fact that you could argue in court that the other vehicle in the photo was speeding and set off the camera, not you! Though they make you pay to request the photo!

I am braking always when see a Mondeo with aerials and no stickers on back screen

Lumen wrote: »
    By maintaining a safe following distance.

Indeed. Have a gold star.

Might that also imply maintaining a safe -- and legal -- speed, one wonders?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Onkle wrote: »
    Awesome.. downloaded and installed

Done the same a few days ago but only signed up at lunch today. Seems to be a very battery thirsty app! Gonna give it a few days and see how it fairs out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Oops, nearly forgot to add :confused::confused::confused::confused:

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

so giving you benefit of the doubt and assuming your not lost and in the wrong forum....

Would you not want know where the speed detection areas are?

If you knew about this location, would you drive in the exact same way as normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

having just looked at this - did anyone else notice that a lot of routes that avoid paying a toll on a motorway seems to now be an "accident blackspot" ?

http://www.garda.ie/GoSafe.htm

Also - if you check the source of the file you can download the .kml file - this could be converted to a POI file for most GPS systems. ( if anyone knows how pls tell )

• Advertisement

I know ten years ago in New Zealand they would issue tickets to the top 10% of speeders. Then as driver behaviour changed they dropped it to anyone 10% over the speed limit. (I.e. anyone doing over 110km/h on a 100km/h road.) Now on bank holiday weekends they target anyone 1 or 2 km/h over the limit. They also target anyone doing over 45km/h round schools.

It has gotten so strict over there...

I wonder whether there might possibly be any association between such increasing strictness and the long-term trend of decreasing NZ road fatalities?

http://www.transport.govt.nz/research/Road-Toll/
    Took me three years to get out of the habit here of breaking when ever there was a van on the side of the road with the rear door open

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

As was said in a song "Flash the Lights at me"

We need to take a realistic approach to these new speed cameras. Devices are available to buy through many websites at about 150 - 200 euro capable of detecting these new "safety cameras". Also this new app seems to be working well for some people.

Really its a matter of keeping a good eye on the road ahead, slowing down and hoping that: "we all use the code of the border road and flash the lights at me!!!"

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

so giving you benefit of the doubt and assuming your not lost and in the wrong forum....

Would you not want know where the speed detection areas are?

If you knew about this location, would you drive in the exact same way as normal?

Good pic!

In general, yes, I would continue to drive normally. Then, on the other hand, if I happened to be driving at or even slightly above the speed limit (allowing for human error) I might slow down a bit, to be sure to be sure.

I would not "jam on the brakes", that's certain.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    OK saw my first Van just outside mountmellick earlier today, the only thing they are likely to catch there is a cold. One thing i am curious about is the KY registrations, i noticed at the press launch they used a new KY reg van, the van i saw today (different with no markings) was also a KY reg. Looks like some ford dealer in Kerry will have a good Christmas, could it be another FF donor or perhaps O Donahue or Healy Rea getting their Grubby hands in on the tendering process?

The company that won the contract is based in Kerry
    Done the same a few days ago but only signed up at lunch today. Seems to be a very battery thirsty app! Gonna give it a few days and see how it fairs out

When I was in work it switched itself off when I hadn't moved a considerable distance in 5 or so minutes, but I'd imagine you'd need a car charger or the like if driving for any length of time

Good pic!

In general, yes, I would continue to drive normally. Then, on the other hand, if I happened to be driving at or even slightly above the speed limit (allowing for human error) I might slow down a bit, to be sure to be sure.

I would not "jam on the brakes", that's certain.

I would usually be in the "need to slow down" category (which can now be done safely in advance).. but the biggest risk is the ppl who will slam on the brakes, helps with that too.

When I was in work it switched itself off when I hadn't moved a considerable distance in 5 or so minutes, but I'd imagine you'd need a car charger or the like if driving for any length of time

Yea I had it in the charger the whole time, but left it on in the background and my battery was nearly empty half an hour later!

Yea I had it in the charger the whole time, but left it on in the background and my battery was nearly empty half an hour later!

Should have bought an iPhone so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 m.conn13

Jomcc wrote: »
    Saw this one outside Portlaoise this morning on Abbeyleix Road. Presume it's private, because it's a 10 KK reg.

gatso1.jpg

gatso2.jpg
    not very inconspicuous are they..............

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

m.conn13 wrote: »

Great pics!

Sneaky bastards me thinks, I wonder is that his Mummys car at the front bringing lunch and some warm milk.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

TJJP wrote: »
    Research Project.

"The Centre for Transport Research and Innovation for People (TRIP) project based at TCD and with a link with UCC. The aim of the Centre is to develop and deliver cohesive and dynamic interdisciplinary research on a range of topics including ICT in transport, solving urban congestion, quality of life, safety and the environmental impacts of transport".

http://www.tcd.ie/Transport_Research_Centre/

I think thats something different the one i went by didnt have the wires on the ground. is there defo only gatsos that were released on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

All we need now is for Fíanna Fáil to release their own brand range of "Safety Camera" tracking devices which they can tender to one of their buddies in some cottage industry GPS manufacturer in the a*sehole of Sligo.

Prices start at €750 payable in one giant brown envelope :P

That should give them the extra revenue that they "won't be making" from "not catching people" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Should have bought an iPhone so

for another thread, but galaxy battery lasts about 50% longer than the iphone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Thats a Kilkenny reg, I thought they were Kerry reg's

EDIT: Didnt see the comment

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Two different cameras set up this morning in this 1km stretch of 80kph dual carrageway road between Newbridge and Naas
    :rolleyes:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R445&daddr=Ladytown,+Naas,+Co.+Kildare+(Ladytown+Business+Park+Ltd.)&hl=en&geocode=FU7oKwMdmGyZ_w%3BFRrmKwMd0C6Z_yGuY7l5dHPLjw&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=53.207446,-6.735091&sspn=0.008379,0.032787&ie=UTF8&ll=53.207446,-6.726894&spn=0.008379,0.016437&z=15

Edit The first (at point A) was the normal gardai traffic corps. At B was the new white vans

Did you pop these up on trapster Kev?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

Don't think that was one. no markings or camera stickers on that van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Can these be used at night? Surely multiple flashes cant be safe.

mfield wrote: »
    Did you pop these up on trapster Kev?

Only registered it this afternoon...
    When was leaving work it popped up on my screen that somebody else had registered a device at 4.30pm (20 mins before I was on road). When I went back along the road I couldn't see anything so registered with trapster that I disagreed with the notification.

Seems the notifications automatically expire after 2 hours. Will been using it in future

Since the camera is facing at you i really dont think there will be any flash involved. Otherwise you would be blinded.
    I guess they will have a form of night vision camera for afterdark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No because you will get multiple summons if you flash strangers :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hondasam wrote: »
    It's 8km over regardless of the zone you are in.
    hondasam wrote: »
    you are allowed go 8km over the limit.
    rolleyes.gif
    What legislation is this written into or are you posting rubbish? You are not allowed to exceed the limit. However discretion is usually used by the gardai to compensate for people's speedo, etc..
    draffodx wrote: »
    Nope, only detectors or blockers are illegal.
    Are you sure?
    Having keyed the locations of fixed cameras into a sat nav device would surely fall into the legislation?
    m.conn13 wrote: »
    Most people won't spot it IMO!
    Since the camera is facing at you i really dont think there will be any flash involved. Otherwise you would be blinded.
    I guess they will have a form of night vision camera for afterdark
    The garda vans have flash which (I've seen) used both during the day and night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What legislation is this written into or are you posting rubbish? You are not allowed to exceed the limit. However discretion is usually used by the gardai to compensate for people's speedo, etc.

this if if you caught via handheld not via gatso van etc

Advertisement