Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't believe so, it may be technically identical, but its function is different.

And neither machine should be set on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Is there a good site which keeps people up to date on current locations of these cameras?

-Chris- wrote: »
    I don't believe so, it may be technically identical, but its function is different.

Agreed.

I mean in terms of attracting (malicious) attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Why was it assessing the suitability of a location at 4.30am in the morning?

How fast do the papers get delivered? How fast is a sliced pan? The only people on the road at that hour are decent hard working people. If they wanted to assess a roadway, why not do it when there was a decent bit of traffic? Perhaps rush hour?

The act in itself was dangerous and did but life at risk, theres no denying that. But pulling all that away, I fail to see why the van was there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So with the nations roads now being managed by private contractors, I wondered WTF are the traffic corps up to these days?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Dempo1 wrote: »
    So with the nations roads now being managed by private contractors, I wondered WTF are the traffic corps up to these days?

They're not at film sets anyway

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Agreed.

I mean in terms of attracting (malicious) attention.

I don't see how. Idiots who burn vans will always be idiots who burn vans, and those conspiracy theorists who think the survey vans are really covert speed cameras won't be disabused of that notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

ironclaw wrote: »
    Why was it assessing the suitability of a location at 4.30am in the morning?

How fast do the papers get delivered? How fast is a sliced pan? The only people on the road at that hour are decent hard working people. If they wanted to assess a roadway, why not do it when there was a decent bit of traffic? Perhaps rush hour?

The act in itself was dangerous and did but life at risk, theres no denying that. But pulling all that away, I fail to see why the van was there in the first place.

Are you joking me!?

The roads are full of messer's at that hour of the morning, see the stats for single vehicle collisions, most are in the early hours of the morning by some ejit driving too fast for the road.

The van was there surveying the road to assess whether people broke the speed limit there, its simple really, no excuse to burn it.

If you have a problem with the cameras, then there is an election coming next year, prepare your findings, pull together proper questions and pressure your local candidates into doing something about them.

Such as ask why 65 million is being spent on the cameras to save a predicted 5 - 10 lives a year when the same money could save 100's a year if put into mental illness, depression and suicide prevention?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The survey vans should allow the Garda and everyone else to measure the changes in driver behaviour due to the implementation of the speed camera vans. These surveys couldn't properly be carried out in a marked van.

...sorry, but that makes no sense. If it did, why not extend that to include having all marked GTC cars followed by an unmarked one, so 'survey' how effective they are ?

IOW -why are they hiding ? If they are open, covert, their effect is obvious, and usually very positive.

Sneaking around has the exact opposite effect.

So, they need to make up their minds; they're either out to alter behaviour positively or.........just out to catch people (aka, €€€€, and we've already had that argument..........), and engender disrespect.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...sorry, but that makes no sense. If it did, why not extend that to include having all marked GTC cars followed by an unmarked one, so 'survey' how effective they are ?

IOW -why are they hiding ? If they are open, covert, their effect is obvious, and usually very positive.

Sneaking around has the exact opposite effect.

So, they need to make up their minds; they're either out to alter behaviour positively or.........just out to catch people (aka, €€€€, and we've already had that argument..........), and engender disrespect.

The survey vans dont send out points/fines to anyone caught by them though.

I dont get your comparison? The survey vans survey the road and the speed of drivers on it, not other survey vans and how effective they are? Or are used for training.

The non marked vans operate covertly as they are not catching anyone while the marked ones operate overtly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

draffodx wrote: »
    The survey vans dont send out points/fines to anyone caught by them though.

The non marked vans operate covertly as they are not catching anyone while the marked ones operate overtly.

How sure are you of this?? I passed one of these so called "survey vans" last week in an area not marked on the map may I add and knew that I got caught and funny enough I got a fine in the post this morning for that very same location!!! So a lesson to all be wary of any of these vans wheter marked or not. Im leaving my fine go to court and Im going to appeal it.

Im not denying the fact that I was speeding but it really needs to be highlighted that these unmarked vans are the real money makers!!!

As for the incident last night the ordinary joe soap would think twice about attacking a gaurd but not another person. I think its attrocious that somebody would risk killing somebody for doing his job..

How sure are you of this?? I passed one of these so called "survey vans" last week in an area not marked on the map may I add and knew that I got caught and funny enough I got a fine in the post this morning for that very same location!!! So a lesson to all be wary of any of these vans wheter marked or not. Im leaving my fine go to court and Im going to appeal it. .

If it was in an area not marked on the map and you got a fine then you were caught by the Garda Traffic Corp and not GoSafe, the Garda Traffic Corp will continue to implement speed traps outside of the GoSafe zones using there own unmarked equipment as before.

I'm just going by what has been publicised.

If it was in an area not marked on the map and you got a fine then you were caught by the Garda Traffic Corp and not GoSafe, the Garda Traffic Corp will continue to implement speed traps outside of the GoSafe zones using there own unmarked equipment as before.

No it was definitely Go Safe!! I work very near the place these vans were fitted out and I can say with 100% certainty that it was one of thier vans.
    10 KY**** There was nobody else on the road that night..

No it was definitely Go Safe!! I work very near the place these vans were fitted out and I can say with 100% certainty that it was one of thier vans.
    10 KY**** There was nobody else on the road that night..

I would definitely challenge that then maybe even highlight it to papers if your 100% sure the fine came from an unmarked GoSafe van in a non designated area. (*obviously after the court hearing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Suprised the operator did not hear/feel the window being broken. Must have very good insulation.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Ahem **Cough <snip> Cough**

Sorry had something in my throat there ;)

And a quick mod reminder for everyone: promotion of, encouragement of, incitement to (etc.) illegal acts is against the Charter and will result in infractions/bans as appropriate.
    Ahem **Cough <snip> Cough**

Sorry had something in my throat there ;)

Next person to **Cough post a link to speed trap detectors Cough** will have plenty of time off from the Motors forum to buy some cough syrup...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Do you see a flash with these cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

joey54 wrote: »
    Do you see a flash with these cameras?
    Nope, only when theyr on fire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Next person to **Cough post a link to speed trap detectors Cough** will have plenty of time off from the Motors forum to buy some cough syrup...
    how do u ban your own moderators???

I would definitely challenge that then maybe even highlight it to papers if your 100% sure the fine came from an unmarked GoSafe van in a non designated area. (*obviously after the court hearing)

Highlight it? ? the whole bloody country will know by the time im finished. Have been advised not to make too big a fuss until after the appeal.

The roads are full of messer's at that hour of the morning, see the stats for single vehicle collisions, most are in the early hours of the morning by some ejit driving too fast for the road.

If you have a problem with the cameras, then there is an election coming next year, prepare your findings, pull together proper questions and pressure your local candidates into doing something about them.

Im not denying the fact that I was speeding but it really needs to be highlighted that these unmarked vans are the real money makers!!!

The roads are indeed full of messers. Some are happy to declare -- in a virtual location near here, coincidentally -- that they have driven "safely" at speeds up to 240 kph on public roads, and at that hour of the morning too.

Since there's an election looming, and some people don't like these speed/safety cameras for whatever reason, I have a proposal for such a campaign.

Working title: Civil Obedience Campaign (COC). :rolleyes:

It's based on the premise that the real "money makers" for the "government coffers" in the context of speed/safety cameras are those over-generous motorists who insist on giving wads of their hard-earned cash, some of them repeatedly, in exchange for a piece of paper generally referred to as a "speeding ticket".

This is how COC would work: motorists would stage a mass campaign of civil obedience, in which everybody would obstinately refuse to break the speed limit, anywhere, ever. Then the government would make no money, give up in disgust and get on with useful stuff like educating bad drivers and catching real criminals. That would settle their hash. Nothing like hitting people in their pocket to make them see sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Get me a good facepalm picture.

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Get me a good facepalm picture.

Certainly sir/madam.

Will this do? ;)

facepalm_implied.jpg

Ya great and I needed that reading all your posts..;)

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Ya great and I needed that reading all your posts..;)

Except that craggy care-worn cop reading the broadsheet probably looks a lot more like me than you...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

Except that craggy care-worn sheriff reading the broadsheet probably looks a lot more like me than you...
    Get a glass of water and add some sugar :D

Except that craggy care-worn sheriff reading the broadsheet probably looks a lot more like me than you...

LOL :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

The roads are indeed full of messers. Some are happy to declare -- in a virtual location near here, coincidentally -- that they have driven "safely" at speeds up to 240 kph on public roads, and at that hour of the morning too.

Since there's an election looming, and some people don't like these speed/safety cameras for whatever reason, I have a proposal for such a campaign.

Working title: Civil Obedience. :rolleyes:

It's based on the premise that the real "money makers" for the "government coffers" in the context of speed/safety cameras are those over-generous motorists who insist on giving wads of their hard-earned cash, some of them repeatedly, in exchange for a piece of paper generally referred to as a "speeding ticket".

This is how the campaign would work: motorists would stage a mass campaign of civil obedience, in which everybody would obstinately refuse to break the speed limit, anywhere, ever. Then the government would make no money, give up in disgust and get on with useful stuff like educating bad drivers and catching real criminals. That would settle their hash. Nothing like hitting people in their pocket to make them see sense.
    Your last paragraph is ridiculous. Does not make one ounce of an ounce of sense.

Advertisement