Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

TJJP wrote: »
    How was it expensive?

O, that little matter of the €60 million contract the Department of Justice signed on our behalf? no doubt this will rise like all other agreements they get into!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Never been caught by them.

I did get stopped by a Garda before who could/should of banned me but as he listened to why I was speeding (family emergency), calmed me down in the process and offered genuine help I hope it won't happen. Better judgement and calming words which are still well etched into my memory are the most effective method, but granted some people just don't care and there is little help for them sadly

But as these are parked in generally ridiculous places its only a matter of time for everyone IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Piece in the local paper this week about a large number of people who received fines for speeding on the old N6 just outside Athlone.

The limit was reduced to 80 km/h when the road became a regional road. However, it was eventually brought back up to 100 km/h, well before the introduction of the speed cameras.

Said people above were all done for breaking the 80 km/h limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

they should get away with that then if the road sign has the 100km on it i seen a similar case before and the offenders got off Scot free was down in athoy yesterday and there was an unmarked van in a housing estate facing main road not very visible and no markings on it thats not on either

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

whyulittle wrote: »
    Piece in the local paper this week about a large number of people who received fines for speeding on the old N6 just outside Athlone.

The limit was reduced to 80 km/h when the road became a regional road. However, it was eventually brought back up to 100 km/h, well before the introduction of the speed cameras.

Seems odd they'd make such a trivial mistake like that. Off all the things to check, you'd think the speed limit would be one.

Sounds stupid, but did some local not just switch the signs? I've been on that road, would assume it was 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

You would think, ironclaw.

Just looked at the piece again, about 40 tickets issued on December 14th, letters sent this week notifing them that they were cancelled. The council brought the speed limit back up to 100 km/h in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DamienOB

I've only seen 1? And im on the road everyday. I also live near in "easy catch" area, West County Sliproad, N4 in general(From Hueston to Lifey Valley)....

Question (prob bit stupid) but can they catch speeding cars driving in the same direction they are facing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

DamienOB wrote: »
    Question (prob bit stupid) but can they catch speeding cars driving in the same direction they are facing?

Nope, they can catch you going in both directions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ironclaw wrote: »
    Many people I've know have got penalty points, sure they are awful careful for 6 weeks after but then, back to same old same old..

This is precisely the problem and one that the Penalty Point system was originally designed to rout out, but has lost its effectiveness by giving uninsured drivers 5 points and so on ~ the points were initially designed to catch repeat offenders and if left as they had been they would eventually put these drivers off the road.

It also emphasises driving instruction as even people who have had accidents often return to the their bad driving habits too.

We need a comprehensive driving school and advanced driving techniques from an early age. No one should learn to drive on a farm or from their brother, sister, mother or father.

Celtxx wrote: »
    Nope, they can catch you going in both directions.

Depends on road layout etc. Generally the answer is no.

Anyone interested I've put together a thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056091811&highlight=Speed+guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Saw my first one of the new vans in Letterkenny yesterday. Real fish in a barrel spot on Ballyraine road outside the school at the end of a long straight. Really sneaky spot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fullstop wrote: »
    Saw my first one of the new vans in Letterkenny yesterday. Real fish in a barrel spot on Ballyraine road outside the school at the end of a long straight. Really sneaky spot.
    To me (bearing in mind that I'm unfamiliar with the road), two things within your post would indicate that this may actually be a good place for a speed camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kbannon wrote: »
    To me (bearing in mind that I'm unfamiliar with the road), two things within your post would indicate that this may actually be a good place for a speed camera!

Maybe when there might actually be children around, yes, but not at 8:00 on a Saturday evening.

But its not a sneaky spot!
    This presumably is one of the spots where speed cameras are announced so at least people cannot say that they haven't been warned.
    What are the non-straight bits after this place like oout of curiosity? Are there any entrances other than the school?

whyulittle wrote: »

Yep here we go, as predicted the first wave of district court appeals and cases thrown out based on a half baked, half thought out and ludicrous new initiative.

Out of curiosity, has anyone notice the sudden disappearance of these offending Vans over the festive period? I certainly have, I notice three of my favorite spots have been vacated since Christmas, this said the ludicrous spectacle of one Van just outside mountmellick covered in snow hardly helped the coffers! I suppose it was only a matter of time they would give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

bbk wrote: »
    Anyone been caught by them? Willing to say it to us? :p

I haven't heard anything about how well they are working since the verbal vomit that was around by the people who introduced them.

Possibly done yesterday. I live in a popular tourist spot and got stuck behind a tourist who seemed unsure of where they were going. Ater they nearly came to a standstill at a couple of juntions, I decided to overtake on a long straight as a jeep was up my backside. Had a look and the way was clear to pass - pulled out and started to overtake then seen the Van. Not sure what speed I was doing to be honest (tourist driving very slow so didn't need to go too quick to get by) but had slowed right down by the time I got within 50 metres or so of the van.

Not sure as to whether I exceeded the limit or not. Really annoyed though as I've been extremely careful since the introduction of the cameras. Had driven a long distance and was within a couple of miles of home.

Slightly sneaky spot to put a van - like I said, it's in a tourist location and the straight is after a steep hill so there can be a build up of traffic and I'm sure plenty of people pass on that stretch (maybe that's why they have the van there but can't remember any accidents at that location). The other thing is that the van might pose a safety risk as I'd imagine people would be inclined to hit the brakes when they see it (and could be in the middle of a passing manouver).

Anyways, no excuse if I did exceed the limit so will just have to take the medicine if that was the case.

Seeing as StreetView is now up and running, if your caught or possibly caught, maybe through up an accurate link to where the van was?

Just go to Google maps, left click and click "Whats Here?" Gives you the Lat/Long. Post the link up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Seeing as StreetView is now up and running, if your caught or possibly caught, maybe through up an accurate link to where the van was?

Just go to Google maps, left click and click "Whats Here?" Gives you the Lat/Long. Post the link up here.

Or you could post it here! Click on the "Add Speed Trap" tab on top of the map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, has anyone notice the sudden disappearance of these offending Vans over the festive period?

No. The c*nts were around my local village like a plague over the christmas. 60km/h speed limit, no accidents have happened there and parked up in a nice spot that sheltered them from view until its too late. Didnt get caught myself, but im sure there are others who did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yep here we go, as predicted the first wave of district court appeals and cases thrown out based on a half baked, half thought out and ludicrous new initiative.

Is this the story?

If so, it's actually a case of 40 speeding tickets being cancelled because of an incorrectly classified speed limit.

What database was being used, and who is responsible for updating it?
    Speeding tickets cancelled due to incorrectly classified speed limit on R446

Dec 29 2010

An estimated 40 speeding tickets issued to drivers on the R446 Athlone to Moate Road earlier this month have now been cancelled after it was discovered they were distributed in error.

The new mobile speed camera system incorrectly classified the stretch of road as an 80 kilometre zone.

However the limit had been increased to 100 kilometres per hour last June when Westmeath County Council approved a new bye law.

This week, motorists were informed of the error in issuing the tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and heres the actual by law!

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/media/Item%209%20-%20R446%20Fardrum%20-%20Rochfortbridge%20Bye%20Laws%20Final%20Schedule%20June%202010.pdf

is this the only former national primary road downgraded to R road that was (re-)upgraded to 100kmh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, if it has I apologies

Anyway I passed a speed van today which did not have a KY reg, it was a 10-LK-**** Peugeot box van in dark blue

Testament1 wrote: »
    No. The c*nts were around my local village like a plague over the christmas. 60km/h speed limit, no accidents have happened there and parked up in a nice spot that sheltered them from view until its too late. Didnt get caught myself, but im sure there are others who did.

LOL:D and heres me thinking ***** were useful!

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Is this the story?

If so, it's actually a case of 40 speeding tickets being cancelled because of an incorrectly classified speed limit.

What database was being used, and who is responsible for updating it?
    Speeding tickets cancelled due to incorrectly classified speed limit on R446

Dec 29 2010

An estimated 40 speeding tickets issued to drivers on the R446 Athlone to Moate Road earlier this month have now been cancelled after it was discovered they were distributed in error.

The new mobile speed camera system incorrectly classified the stretch of road as an 80 kilometre zone.

However the limit had been increased to 100 kilometres per hour last June when Westmeath County Council approved a new bye law.

This week, motorists were informed of the error in issuing the tickets.

Not sure but none the less very gratifying to see these clowns being caught acting the Bollox. Its baggers belief this company can't differentiate between speed limits.

As an aside, saw an amusing site earlier today. I haven't see much of the traffic corps about since these vans were introduced, low and behold on a stretch of road just outside Kinnitty in offaly, i found one of the missing patrol cars. Parked up admiring the views of the Slieve bloom mountains and the two occupants enjoying a well earned fag! Unbelievable! Its a complete farce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Passed a highly suspected speed camera van a half hour ago on the very safe Ballycoolin Rd, Blanchardstown. As I passed it, I could see the camera equipment at the back window.

The van was red in colour with no markings. I should have a video of it up later when I review my driving camera footage :)

edit: do speed camera vans come red in colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

That would have been one of the Survey vans.

They survey roads that are already marked down on the Garda map for speed traps by GoSafe? (unless they are reviewing it?)

This is what I had posted elsewhere on boards about the road a few months ago!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69045917&postcount=68
    me wrote:
    For those that know it, the Ballycoolin Road in Dublin is down as a targeted road.

Thing is the RSA are using statistics from 2008 and the years before then when the road was a standard old fashioned and narrow country road where serious accidents frequently occurred at the 80kmh limit.

The road was closed in late 2008, demolished, rebuilt, rerouted and re-opened as a brand new wide open modern road with a 60kmh limit in late 2009 and not a single serious accident or fatality on it since then.

Wouldn't you think the muppets in the RSA have taken this case into account? Now, its a case of revenue generating on that road, not safety as it is not a accident blackspot.

@gurramok: How do you know it was the RSA "muppets" who evaluated the stats and decided the speed zones and not the gardai?

kbannon wrote: »
    @gurramok: How do you know it was the RSA "muppets" who evaluated the stats and decided the speed zones and not the gardai?

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Ireland-Road-Collisions/

Wouldn't the RSA and the Garda share the same stats?

Then they extrapolate which roads are 'speed prone' where speed was a factor?. Last date for specific locations is 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

One on the Kilkenny Road outside Carlow this morning at 10am. Close to Powerstown Landfill. White Iveco Daily, well marked, but I was well and truly caught (if I had been speeding).

First one I've seen.

Advertisement