Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To add anyway for Dublin, the map of targeted zones http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497 compares favourably with the RSA list of locations http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Ireland-Road-Collisions/ and also to the Garda list of collision prone zones http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/List%20of%20Collision%20Prone%20Zones.pdf .

Too much of a co-incidence?

Here's the video catch of it. Sorry for mucky windscreen :), its on left hand side straight ahead unmarked at 0:09.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Not sure but none the less very gratifying to see these clowns being caught acting the Bollox. Its baggers belief this company can't differentiate between speed limits.

As an aside, saw an amusing site earlier today. I haven't see much of the traffic corps about since these vans were introduced, low and behold on a stretch of road just outside Kinnitty in offaly, i found one of the missing patrol cars. Parked up admiring the views of the Slieve bloom mountains and the two occupants enjoying a well earned fag! Unbelievable! Its a complete farce!

LOL I was waiting for you to say you got done for speeding but no.....:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@garramok: Is it parked on the junction?

Yes at 9 secs in.. That junction has a discontinued road from the left if your thinking it shouldn't be parked there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭maxextz

is it the red van?
    what camera have you got there?

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes at 9 secs in.. That junction has a discontinued road from the left if your thinking it shouldn't be parked there :)

It probably shouldn't be parked there anyway!

maxextz wrote: »
    is it the red van?
    what camera have you got there?

www.roadhawk.co.uk/roadhawk-RH-1.htm

Yeh, the red van. Its not a good pic of it in the video due to bad light & mucky windscreen(:))but when driving past I had a good glance at the back window and what looked like camera equipment was indeed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced thats a camera van. Its parked way too close to a junction, discontinued or not. I'm trying to think of the rules of the road, but isn't it 10m from a major junction you can't park?

What year was the van? Looks like a old high roof transit.

Also could you throw up a google map link as to where that is?

EDIT: By the way, does you camera loop record? As in it records over previous footage when full?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

They are out shooting fish in a barrell again heading into town on the n11 just past fosters avenue on the left had side. Gatso van parked just off main road before bridge for ucd.

When is that speed limit going to chage up from 60 kph on this road !! absolute joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I doubt it ever will. Apart from Loughlinstown to Cornelscourt, that's the only stretch without a lot of traffic lights (look at how many sets of lights are only a few hundred metres apart). I can't imagine them putting in an 80kmh limit just for that section of the road.

ironclaw wrote: »
    I have to say I'm not entirely convinced thats a camera van. Its parked way too close to a junction, discontinued or not. I'm trying to think of the rules of the road, but isn't it 10m from a major junction you can't park?

What year was the van? Looks like a old high roof transit.

Also could you throw up a google map link as to where that is?

EDIT: By the way, does you camera loop record? As in it records over previous footage when full?

Discontinued junction as it there was never a long road built on the other side, just a few metres of road swinging left if that makes sense :)

Its roughly at the pushpin point here. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.397207,-6.342337&num=1&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&ie=UTF8&ll=53.396432,-6.336365&spn=0.019166,0.055747&z=15

No streetview available as the road was being constructed when the Google car was going around hence frustration seeing this road targeted by GoSafe.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?q=53.39992,-6.339719&num=1&sll=53.344104,-6.267494&sspn=0.106649,0.256119&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=53.397379,-6.340055&spn=0.019166,0.072098&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.397294,-6.340808&panoid=CcLu1vkSfhXH0rgncAv3YA&cbp=12,233.47,,0,3.61 Junction in the distance on the left where the JCB is.

Yeh the camera overwrites previous recordings over time like most cameras do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    They are out shooting fish in a barrell again heading into town on the n11 just past fosters avenue on the left had side. Gatso van parked just off main road before bridge for ucd.

When is that speed limit going to chage up from 60 kph on this road !! absolute joke

They are always there. It should remain at 80 from Lochlinstown until Donnybrook I think. Its a wide open road with good visibility. Anyone with half a brain won't take it at 80 in the later sections as you'd merely be stop start through the lights.

The likes of the N11 and major roads through the city should have flexi speed limits I think. Signs that change given the time of day or conditions. Wouldn't be that hard to introduce. 60 at rush hour and maybe 80 when the roads are less busy.

On another note, Traffic Corp were in Bray today doing a trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

They are always there. It should remain at 80 from Lochlinstown until Donnybrook I think. Its a wide open road with good visibility. Anyone with half a brain won't take it at 80 in the later sections as you'd merely be stop start through the lights.

The likes of the N11 and major roads through the city should have flexi speed limits I think. Signs that change given the time of day or conditions. Wouldn't be that hard to introduce. 60 at rush hour and maybe 80 when the roads are less busy.

To be fair they are always on the only actual stretch of road that 60 is difficult to maintain,its past the lights its then open stretch of road and going downhill, in fact today I was being ran off the road for doing 70kph got out of drivers way and only then saw the van but was too late. Anyway I agree with the traffic light argument but what a lot of people fail to realise is driving to slow can cause as many accidents as going to fast....bloody stupid speed for a dual carriageway !!

I also disagree with the way the roads are rated, its crazy to think of some of the speed limits on dangerous roads yet take stillorgan clear stretch of road and its 60, ye now have like i had today people trying to run you off the road as they feel your crazy slow which I agree to be fair it is in that spot !

Anyway all this talking wont change anything, so logged my complaint with the garda traffic corps today !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

In regular trips to the UK I note that they have had motorway signs like that for years. The idea is that the cops change the speed limits (advisory) to suit the road conditions. If fact they hardly ever seem to bother, so you can have a clear, bright, dry motorway with little traffic that had poor driving conditions half a day ago, and an advisory limit of 60 mph!

Do we really think our authorities would be any more efficient?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

2 vans spotted today.

Athlone Bypass
    around 12:30 mid day today on the usual spot just before the change of speed limit as you come to the eastern end of the Athlone bypass. About 100 meters before the 120 km/h limit (limit still 100 km/h).

White van, snorkel, all signage in place, 10-KY reg, parked on the hard shoulder.

and also

N80, just before Mountmellick coming from Port Laoise.
    9pm, 100 km/h zone.
    Van with snorkel and signage in place. Didn't get reg or color, as it was pretty dark. Van parked on a layby.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Marlow wrote: »
    2 vans spotted today.

Athlone Bypass
    around 12:30 mid day today on the usual spot just before the change of speed limit as you come to the eastern end of the Athlone bypass. About 100 meters before the 120 km/h limit (limit still 100 km/h).

/M

Like really what's the point? They're trying to convince people that vans will be placed in accident black spots and that it's not a money making exercise. How many accidents occur at the beginning of a motorway?

JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    Like really what's the point? They're trying to convince people that vans will be placed in accident black spots and that it's not a money making exercise. How many accidents occur at the beginning of a motorway?

JOKE

Correct. And I've so far spotted them there 4 times in the last 3 months, one time with ice on the road, only one lane passable and foggy as hell, which was equally pointless as traffic was going around 70-80 km/h in those conditions.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2 vans spotted today.

Athlone Bypass
    Peadar_85 wrote: »

JOKE
    Correct. And I've so far spotted them there 4 times in the last 3 months, one time with ice on the road, only one lane passable and foggy as hell, which was equally pointless as traffic was going around 70-80 km/h in those conditions.

/M

All very well preaching to the 'converted', but why not drop a letter of complaint to Noel Brett and the Garda Commissioner about their breaching of their advertised type of location?

Corny as it may seem, only if you start putting pressure on them, will policy ever be affected.

If you were really dedicated you could complain to BCI and RTE, as well.

Meanwhile, I saw two vans yesterday. It was only when I checked I remembered I was in the UK.........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 31 taffy1973

Silver Renault master (safety van :D ) 10 KY on old N3 outside Navan hire catching people coming from Kells direction at 07:15 on a sunday morning (yesterday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

There i one about 1KM from the airport turn heading towards Galway city (briar hill) on the airport road, red van ~2PM ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rallymadman

Just wondering does the operator have to be using the speed camera in the van or is it automatic.. i was doin 80kmh in a 60(yes i know my fault) :o but when i passed the van SOMEBODY was sitting the passenger seat... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 hotter

Just wondering does the operator have to be using the speed camera in the van or is it automatic.. i was doin 80kmh in a 60(yes i know my fault) :o but when i passed the van SOMEBODY was sitting the passenger seat... :confused:
    I have heard that they are set on automatic so if a person is sitting in the front they will still work but you might be lucky as he may have just parked up and it had not started to record. Does anybody know how long it takes to get the fine in the post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

Spotted one this morning at 09.10 in Dublin at the entrance to Mount Argus Church Lwr Kimmage Rd/Harolds cross.

A Red Transit unmarked with snorkel above rear left door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 paddyjoesoap

Hi all,

My question is the same as Hotter's.

Whats the time frame for the gosafe notification of a speeding ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Anyone hear that smug, patronizing buffoon Conor Faughnan from the esteemed AA on the lunch time show newstalk, most of what comes out of this clowns mouth is nonsense but he excelled today. Callers were asking are these so call speed vans clearly marked, his answer was typically vague. He admitted numerous inquiries about this matter and stated ALL GO SAFE VANS ARE CLEARLY MARKED, he followed up by stating the AA had contacted the Gardai, stating numerous motorist's had come across these vans that were not clearly marked, their response was that the Gardai also have 8 vans on the road that are not marked.

I wondered when had the Gardai started registering their Vehicles in Kerry & Kildare!

Complete Bollox

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

He said all private speed camera vans are marked. He also said there were other vans to conduct surveys.

He actually said that they had received complaints/notification that there were unmarked vans, and when they questioned these with the Gardai, the Gardai said "yeah, that's one of ours".

Not quite the same thing, to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

-Chris- wrote: »
    He said all private speed camera vans are marked. He also said there were other vans to conduct surveys.

He actually said that they had received complaints/notification that there were unmarked vans, and when they questioned these with the Gardai, the Gardai said "yeah, that's one of ours".

Not quite the same thing, to be honest...

His and indeed the gardai's answer's were vague at best, i accept there are some survey vans but there have been numerous sitings of unmarked Vans throughout the length and breath of the country with the above mention registration plates, I find it hard to believe 8 Garda vans have been covering the entire country and i also doubt very much there are that many survey vans.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Interview can be listened to here:
    http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback
    Scroll to the Lunchtime Show, choose part 1 of today's show.

Interview starts at 19m20s, speed camera discussion starts at 27m20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

They were on the Athlone BY yesterday morning, at the usual spot approaching J8 eastbound.

Thing is, there is now a 50 km/h speed limit on the BP due to rehabilitation works starting (work is at the western end only for now).

The van was sitting between the regular 120 km/h sign and temporary 100 km/h sign noting the end of the temporary limit. So it was sitting inside a 100 km/h zone. Is it limited so to only catch vehicles over 100 km/h?

Between J10 and J8 eastbound (the bit I travel mostly), there are no 50 km/h signs on the mainline, only on the on-ramps. However, there is a regular 100 km/h sign on the mainline, right after you join from J10.

Advertisement