Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

From Newstalk Lunchtime Show:
    Damien Kiberd
    "Listeners want to know are all the speed vans are properly marked, and if not, why not?"
    Conor Faughnan
    "All the GoSafe vans in the GoSafe network, which are the privatised ones which were somewhat controversial, there are 44 of those. All of those are marked. All of those deploy only in black spot locations as identified on the Garda website.

But, there is also surveying and monitoring work going on, so you can sometimes see these vans carrying out their work but they're not actually issuing any tickets.

And the other thing to remember, a lot of people point this out to us, the Gardai have got 8 speed vans of their own, and those 8 Garda vans are unmarked and they can turn up anywhere."
    Damien Kiberd
    "So that's what people may be seeing..."
    Conor Faughnan
    "That may well be what people are seeing. Certainly a lot of people flag that to us on the blog site of the AA website - frequently they say "What's the story with the black spots, I saw an unmarked van in such-and-such a location or such-and-such a location".

We follow those up with the Gardai and, you know, it turns out it is one of those 8 Garda vans that they've seen"

Which bits of this were vague Dempo1?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Spotted a Red Gatso Van heading out the N17 passed Terry Brennans pub about 2:30pm...

So watch out, them gatso's about!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

I laugh at how this Conor Faughnan is presented as being independent and on the side of the motorist.

The fella is bought and paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭naoise80

I laugh at how this Conor Faughnan is presented as being independent and on the side of the motorist.

The fella is bought and paid for.

He works for the AA, an independant motoring organisation.

Are you suggesting he shouldn't get paid for his work?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

been searching through this thread but can't find a definite answer. do these vans flash at night? would you notice the flash?

I drove past 2 in the past month doin in or around the speed limit but didn't see no flash, bit worried 4 points comin my way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Tonto86 wrote: »
    been searching through this thread but can't find a definite answer. do these vans flash at night? would you notice the flash?

I drove past 2 in the past month doin in or around the speed limit but didn't see no flash, bit worried 4 points comin my way!

According to my daughter they do flash at night..

A guy passed her near the Carenmore airport in Galway (60Kmph), and the Gatso Van flashed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Marlow wrote: »
    2 vans spotted today.

Athlone Bypass
    About 100 meters before the 120 km/h limit (limit still 100 km/h).

I thought I read somewhere that the vans were not allowed to be within 500m of a change of speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I thought I read somewhere that the vans were not allowed to be within 500m of a change of speed limit?

I'd love to know, where you read that. If that's the case, this spot is constantly being used by them. I've seen them 4-5 times out there now.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Actually I was speaking to a few truckers who said they are being done for anything over 80KPH. I know this is the speed limit for HGV`S but its a bit much on a motorway.

I was on the N24 today and got stuck behind trucks obeying the speed limit where I could do 100 KPH.
    Will this not cause accidents where people attempt to overtake these trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Last night at half ten - on the N4 slip road exit to Chapelizod (you know the one down the hill that goes from 80 to 50 very suddenly). On the left hand side (they are usually on the right) hiding behind a parked car up by the lights with the gun on the roof.

Absolutely impossible to see them which i suppose is the goal. Zero traffic around or pedestrians.

Going about 65-70ish so defo caught unless their camera stalled. Heres hoping. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It kind of defeats the purpose of covering them in reflective livery if they're going to hide them behind things.

Not very sporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

-Chris- wrote: »

So he just straight out admitted that they're checking for the best spots, and have abandoned the 'Known Accident Blackspots'. Didn't take them long.:rolleyes:

So he just straight out admitted that they're checking for the best spots, and have abandoned the 'Known Accident Blackspots'. Didn't take them long.:rolleyes:

Where did he say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The entire interview as it happens. Do you seriously believe motorists throughout the country are seeing these mysterious (8) Garda unmarked vans, I think not. As stated previously, Garda Vehicles are all registered in Dublin. I have seen numerous un marked vans with KK and KY registrations.

Come off it, someone is taking the piss!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Where did he say that?

The bit about them doing surveying/monitoring work. Are they surveying/monitoring how many accidents happen per hour? Or something else?

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The entire interview as it happens. Do you seriously believe motorists throughout the country are seeing these mysterious (8) Garda unmarked vans, I think not. As stated previously, Garda Vehicles are all registered in Dublin. I have seen numerous un marked vans with KK and KY registrations.

Come off it, someone is taking the piss!

3 types of van:
    - Private Marked - giving out fines, only operating in the areas detailed on the Garda.ie website
    - Private Unmarked - surveying, not giving out fines, not necessarily in the locations detailed on garda.ie. (Potentially surveying for recommendations of areas to add to the garda.ie list of locations).
    - Garda Vans - the ones I've seen have been very subtly marked or unmarked, all are D reg to my knowledge, can operate anywhere, giving out fines

All the "come off it" or other righteous indignation doesn't change the fact that this is how it's arranged.
    Until we have confirmation that unmarked private vans are handing out fines, or marked private vans are operating outside the locations detailed on garda.ie, we have to accept that they're operating as they should.

If we do get confirmation that either of the above is happening, that's the time for righteous indignation and much, much more!

The bit about them doing surveying/monitoring work. Are they surveying/monitoring how many accidents happen per hour? Or something else?

That's been admitted from the very start - they'll survey other areas and see what percentage of drivers are over the limit. They'll report back to the Gardai with this information. The Gardai will use this information in formulating the deployment strategy.
    It's not a new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

RedorDead wrote: »
    Last night at half ten - on the N4 slip road exit to Chapelizod (you know the one down the hill that goes from 80 to 50 very suddenly). On the left hand side (they are usually on the right) hiding behind a parked car up by the lights with the gun on the roof.

:

I presume your talking about a Garda holding a gun? If you are, your fine. They would have pulled you over. Gardai don't widely have the handheld / tripod kit to take photos. Any photo kit works from a Tripod (It has to for stability) Your fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

All the "come off it" or other righteous indignation doesn't change the fact that this is how it's arranged.
    Until we have confirmation that unmarked private vans are handing out fines, or marked private vans are operating outside the locations detailed on garda.ie, we have to accept that they're operating as they should.

Unmarked private vans ONLY do surveying......and not necessarily for new locations. They are deployed first to locations before marked vans and survey the speed detections. Vans are then deployed and they see how much of a difference a marked van makes. UNmarked are then deployed again to see if a difference was made to speeding in the area. This is a continuous cycle over several months.

Unmarked private vans cannot issue fines, the equipment is not fitted to them for issuing photos etc of evidential value.....infact the whole set up inside them is different.

The only unmarked vans that are issuing fines are the Garda Robot vans...white...high roof.....Ford transit...ALL D reg.

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Marlow wrote: »
    I'd love to know, where you read that. If that's the case, this spot is constantly being used by them. I've seen them 4-5 times out there now.

/M

I was 99% sure this was posted in a list of guidelines to be used by the operators of the new cameras, along with the ~km over the limit leeway that that operate within.

Might have been 200m, not 500m of a change of speed limit.

Typically can't find it now.... nearly sure it was in this thread.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I read a recent comment that was made.

"The unmarked ones only survey"

Hang on a minute. Survey what? It's an accident black spot or not. Their job is to perform speed check at black spots not to "SURVEY" which is the best vantage point to catch speeders...........................isn't it?

Berty wrote: »
    I read a recent comment that was made.

Hang on a minute. Survey what? It's an accident black spot or not. Their job is to perform speed check at black spots not to "SURVEY" which is the best vantage point to catch speeders...........................isn't it?

They are deployed first to locations before marked vans and survey the speed detections. Vans are then deployed and they see how much of a difference a marked van makes. UNmarked are then deployed again to see if a difference was made to speeding in the area. This is a continuous cycle over several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Berty wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac:

I think the man who wrote that still believes in Santa.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

7am this morning, about 2 miles West of Longford, big long road.

Dark blue van, the signs you can't really see them at all, definitely not reflective! :)

I think I got done, the van was facing me as I approached it but now I think I spotted a flash about 400m before I passed it, was doing 67mph in a 60mph zone.

Am I right in saying that it catches car from both out the front and back of the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

yop wrote: »
    7am this morning, about 2 miles West of Longford, big long road.

Dark blue van, the signs you can't really see them at all, definitely not reflective! :)

I think I got done, the van was facing me as I approached it but now I think I spotted a flash about 400m before I passed it, was doing 67mph in a 60mph zone.

Am I right in saying that it catches car from both out the front and back of the van?

Dark Blue Van, this is getting surreal. Firstly we are told they are all clearly marked, then were told the Garda vans are not marked but apparently white, now go safe seem to be experimenting with winter colors.

One can assume this was not one of these Busy survey vans given its color?

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I would swear I saw a flash, now it was dark but i didn't realise it was a speed van until within 100m or so, even my passenger was surprised it was one of their vans as we both thought that they were meant to be highly visible?

I will know in a few weeks when I get the picture i suppose! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Dark Blue Van, this is getting surreal. Firstly we are told they are all clearly marked, then were told the Garda vans are not marked but apparently white, now go safe seem to be experimenting with winter colors.

One can assume this was not one of these Busy survey vans given its color?

Go Safe vans have always been a combination of colours - Red, White,Black, Blue, Grey have all been spotted with the markings - plenty of images throughout the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

Hi,
    Does anyone know if the garda.ie website is only down temporarily or are there regular issues with it? Is there an alternative source for the locations any more?

There was what looked like one of those white Garda vans inbound on N7 between Kylemore and Bluebell this evening. Didn't see any flashes but I'm still not sure that's relevant. Seemed very close to a change of speed limit from 60 to 50km/h.

The locations of the Garda vans won't be on the Garda website, only the private vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

The locations of the Garda vans won't be on the Garda website, only the private vans.

They used to be well listed on the website.....we cannot pull up anywhere we want. We must select from a drop down menu of pre set locations.

We have however, request through the regional Traffic Supt for addition of more locations.

Advertisement