Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Red van outside Platin cement factory at the minute for anyone in this area. It has camera signs on it this time but they not very reflective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They used to be well listed on the website.....we cannot pull up anywhere we want. We must select from a drop down menu of pre set locations.

We have however, request through the regional Traffic Supt for addition of more locations.

Where did that list go? I used to have it bookmarked but it seems to be moved/gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Still haven't seen any, or know of anyone who has around Cavan. Mythical beings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

-Chris- wrote: »
    Where did that list go? I used to have it bookmarked but it seems to be moved/gone.

Just realised its not there anymore???

Will look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sillybilly82

did anyone get caught with the new vans just wondering how much over you were?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

60km/h in a 50km/h zone at 2am :mad: crime of the century on those deserted roads?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can anyone confirm the detection range of these new vans is pretty limited by comparison to the Garda tripods and hand held guns? A cop pal told me that was the case.

did it take long for fime to come in the post? i am hoping the detection range is not good was slightly over and tought i spotted van way up and imeediately slowed hit a dip in the road that caused me to go slightly over but was under before i was in clear view of it have been sick ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

yup ... 111km/h in 100km/h zone ... It was on N6 in athlone ... between M6 before athlone and M6 past athlone ... but come on ;/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

63km/h in a 50km/h zone. Firhouse road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

did it take long for fime to come in the post? i am hoping the detection range is not good was slightly over and tought i spotted van way up and imeediately slowed hit a dip in the road that caused me to go slightly over but was under before i was in clear view of it have been sick ever since

If you mean "over" as your speedo showing 52 in a 50km/h zone for example, you're fine. Not only does your speedo more than likely have at least a 10% inaccuracy, but due to the maths the gatso vans use to calculate your speed, they will always see your speed as less than it really is. Add to that the Garda gatso vans are inaccurate by +-1km/h (and so the GoSafe vans are at least that inaccurate), so they must account for that. Going through a dip in the road doesn't matter, the way the GoSafe vans work is they have a set target range of maybe 100m, that they will meter your speed at. This range varies, I have no idea what they use in practice. They will then take the photo of your car at a much nearer distance. Since radar isn't line of sight (whereas the Garda laser meters are), it could still pick up your speed if you were in a dip in the road.

I reckon you could put 60km/h on your speedo in a 50km/h zone and you would be fine (depends on the road, the distance the van is set to target at, your angle to the van's normal, the weather, how accurate your speedo is, etc.). Your speedo is out by 10% (for example, I believe EU directives require speedos to over read by more than this, actually) so your actual speed is ~54km/h. If you're not on the van's normal (the angle from the rear of the van, i.e, directly behind it), there will be an inaccuracy of 1-2km/h, possibly more, due to the trigonometry of the radar, which is always in the motorist's favour. And the fact that they are inaccurate by 1km/h anyway. I reckon they'd pick you up doing bang on 50km/h, or very close to it at least, if you passed at 60km/h as your speedo reads.

But don't take my speculation as law and complain if you're caught for the above. It's just that, speculation, maybe they account for speedo inaccuracies, who knows. All I know is I pass them at the speed limit with my calibrated speedo and have no problems.

So you're probably fine unless you were doing 80 in a 50 :pac:

Interestingly, those instantaneous speed display thingies they have on some roads are miles off. I calibrated my speedo using a GPS, so it has a 1% inaccuracy at 100km/h (yes I used a perfectly flat, straight road, double checked with two different devices on two different days at several speeds :p). Yet when I pass one of these displays at bang on 50km/h, they show my speed as up to 58km/h :confused: I have passed several Garda and GoSafe speed meters, and have had no problems, so I know my speedo is fine. I don't see the point in these signs if they don't display an accurate speed...

Three weeks.

If you mean "over" as your speedo showing 52 in a 50km/h zone for example, you're fine. Not only does your speedo more than likely have at least a 10% inaccuracy, but due to the maths the gatso vans use to calculate your speed, they will always see your speed as less than it really is. Add to that the Garda gatso vans are inaccurate by +-1km/h (and so the GoSafe vans are at least that inaccurate), so they must account for that. Going through a dip in the road doesn't matter, the way the GoSafe vans work is they have a set target range of maybe 100m, that they will meter your speed at. This range varies, I have no idea what they use in practice. They will then take the photo of your car at a much nearer distance. Since radar isn't line of sight (whereas the Garda laser meters are), it could still pick up your speed if you were in a dip in the road.

I reckon you could put 60km/h on your speedo in a 50km/h zone and you would be fine (depends on the road, the distance the van is set to target at, your angle to the van's normal, the weather, how accurate your speedo is, etc.). Your speedo is out by 10% (for example, I believe EU directives require speedos to over read by more than this, actually) so your actual speed is ~54km/h. If you're not on the van's normal (the angle from the rear of the van, i.e, directly behind it), there will be an inaccuracy of 1-2km/h, possibly more, due to the trigonometry of the radar, which is always in the motorist's favour. And the fact that they are inaccurate by 1km/h anyway. I reckon they'd pick you up doing bang on 50km/h, or very close to it at least, if you passed at 60km/h as your speedo reads.

But don't take my speculation as law and complain if you're caught for the above. It's just that, speculation, maybe they account for speedo inaccuracies, who knows. All I know is I pass them at the speed limit with my calibrated speedo and have no problems.

So you're probably fine unless you were doing 80 in a 50 :pac:

Interestingly, those instantaneous speed display thingies they have on some roads are miles off. I calibrated my speedo using a GPS, so it has a 1% inaccuracy at 100km/h (yes I used a perfectly flat, straight road, double checked with two different devices on two different days at several speeds :p). Yet when I pass one of these displays at bang on 50km/h, they show my speed as up to 58km/h :confused: I have passed several Garda and GoSafe speed meters, and have had no problems, so I know my speedo is fine. I don't see the point in these signs if they don't display an accurate speed...

My friend's father got done doing 53km/h in a 50 zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Not been caught but the day isn't over yet.

Beware of hearsay on the range of detection. Only post on the range if you know 1st hand please.

Max_Damage wrote: »
    My friend's father got done doing 53km/h in a 50 zone.

And what did his speedo say when he came within radar range (which for all we know could be a km away from the van itself)?

And what did his speedo say when he came within radar range (which for all we know could be a km away from the van itself)?

No idea.

No idea.

Then he could easily have had 80km/h on an inaccurate speedo half a mile back the road, my point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

i was doing 137 on the M4 the other day and zoomed past a garda on a bike with a hand speed gun and got away with it. moral of the story: speed everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sheeps wrote: »
    i was doing 137 on the M4 the other day and zoomed past a garda on a bike with a hand speed gun and got away with it. moral of the story: speed everywhere

This is a really stupid post, encouraging people to speed... Have you thought about what you said before posting? Probably not... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Your inability to detect sarcasm must be a real problem for you in most of your day to day social encounters.

• Advertisement

This is a really stupid post, encouraging people to speed... Have you thought about what you said before posting? Probably not... :rolleyes:

You my friend are in need of a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

the post makes no sense i think i understand what your trying to say, that lets say 1km down the road when he was detected he was doing 80 then when he copped the van he looked down and was doing 53, but then the ticket should display the speed you were detected at no:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

None- yet. Used see them out every night but not lately.

My speedo reads 10% under- drive past one of those "your speed is..." signs and it always shows 5 less than my speedo shows.

He could have had 70km/h (for example) on his speedo, which might be 53km/h in "real" speed. Then when he clocked the van, at which point it was too late, he slowed down to 50km/h on the speedo and thought he was fine, even though the camera nabbed him. Then he says "but I was doing 50km/h when I passed the van!" when he gets the letter saying 53km/h in a 50km/h zone. Unless someone fancies 2 points and an 80 euro fine to drive past a van at a set speed and work out the van's calibration, we don't know.

It makes perfect sense, we don't know at what distance the van's radar picks up offenders. AFAIK the operator sets this value when the van is parked, in line with what he's been told to do. You mightn't even be able to see the van when it picks you up on radar and marks you as an offender. Then when you do see the van and slow down passing it, it's far too late. This is the opposite of the Garda handheld laser meters, they rely on line of sight. This is where the misconception of "I wasn't speeding when I passed the van" comes about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Not been caught but the day isn't over yet.

Beware of hearsay on the range of detection. Only post on the range if you know 1st hand please.

according to this its 1000 meters http://www.gosafe.org/en/content/cms/cameras/camera-equipment/Mobile-Safety-Camera/

but i remeber reading somewhere before that these cameras get less accurate the further away they are detecting..and in the uk they include the distance you were caught at with the photo they send....loads of people in the uk got off because of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Sheeps wrote: »
    Your inability to detect sarcasm must be a real problem for you in most of your day to day social encounters.
    You my friend are in need of a sense of humour.

Because humour via text in the forum of sacrasm is intelligent... :rolleyes:

according to this its 1000 meters http://www.gosafe.org/en/content/cms/cameras/camera-equipment/Mobile-Safety-Camera/

but i remeber reading somewhere before that these cameras get less accurate the further away they are detecting..and in the uk they include the distance you were caught at with the photo they send....loads of people in the uk got off because of this.

I think the UK spec GoSafe vans are different than Irish spec ones, ours have the "snorkel" on the back for the radar, whereas UK units rely on laser, like the Garda gatso vans. But I have read a 1km range with regards to Irish vans before.

thanks for posts i was doing 104 in 100 zone thought i spotted a van way up in the distance and imediately slowed down, passed one of theose "your speed is" later at 65/66 and it showed speed 62 (ps that was in a 80 km zone heading for a 60 so was slowing to meet the new speed limit) the gatso van i passed was very clearly marked but had parked behind bushes so owas hard to spot until yo were o top of it but i am suspicious of all vans with windows in back so tend to slow when i see them in the distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

andyseadog wrote: »
    60km/h in a 50km/h zone at 2am :mad: crime of the century on those deserted roads?

I got exatly the same last week in Whitehall. Think thats about 6mph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Not only does your speedo more than likely have at least a 10% inaccuracy...

...Your speedo is out by 10% (for example, I believe EU directives require speedos to over read by more than this, actually)...

My understanding is that your speedo can be inaccurate by up to 10% (over) - i.e. it could be perfectly accurate or it could read 55 when you're doing 50.
    I believe also that this variance between true speed and speedo reading can change depending on what speed you're doing - i.e. it could be 5% over at 60kmph, but 8% over at 120kmph.

If I'm incorrect, please set me straight.

But don't take my speculation as law and complain if you're caught for the above.

I realise you put this caveat in your post, but if your statements above can't be backed up in some way, it's pretty unfair to endanger other people's driving licences with speculation stated as fact.

Advertisement