Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sillybilly82

if at 65/66 it read 62 on "your speed is" would that mean the speedo is out a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yes, but as far as I know your speedo will not read under, only over.

thanks just may sit and hope i dont get a fine and learn my lesson to keep a better eye on the clock! especially when driving a work van!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

-Chris- wrote: »
    My understanding is that your speedo can be inaccurate by up to 10% (over) - i.e. it could be perfectly accurate or it could read 55 when you're doing 50.
    I believe also that this variance between true speed and speedo reading can change depending on what speed you're doing - i.e. it could be 5% over at 60kmph, but 8% over at 120kmph.

If I'm incorrect, please set me straight.

I was looking at this post, and it does indeed say it must be out by 0 ≤ Difference ≤ 10% + 6km/h. I was under the impression however that all cars are out by ~10% compared to GPS true speed, and have yet to come across a car that reads dead accurate. I believe car manufacturers deliberately ensure the speedo is out by ~10% from the factory to account for inaccuracies over the car's life time, worn or incorrectly inflated tyres being the main concern.

I don't think they could be out by different ratios at different speeds, unless it's as a result of tyre deformation at higher speeds due to increased downforce. Speedos (analogue ones at least) rely on gears with a set ratio to convert drivetrain speed into human units, the gears are the same ratio for every speed surely?
    I realise you put this caveat in your post, but if your statements above can't be backed up in some way, it's pretty unfair to endanger other people's driving licences with speculation stated as fact.

I don't think I've endangered anyone's licence. Not only did I say it's just my own speculation, but if somebody with 10 penalty points reckons it's OK to do 120km/h past a GoSafe van in a 100km/h zone because "somebody on the internet isn't sure but reckons it could be OK", I'd rather they weren't on the roads I have to use daily. They're backed up with my own experience, and my own opinions, which is the essence of boards I believe? And the reason it says in the Motors charter not to assume that other posters' advice is correct :pac:

And I never stated it as fact, I specifically included the "my own speculation" line so it wouldn't be taken as fact. Of course people should obey speed limits, and if they aren't sure of the inaccuracy of their own car's speedo, play safe and assume it's accurate.

if at 65/66 it read 62 on "your speed is" would that mean the speedo is out a bit?

Yes, that means your speedo is over reading by ~5%. However, those signs themselves seem to be over reading by around ~5% also, so your speedo is probably out by around 10%. Don't take my word for it, if you have access to a GPS set it to display your speed, and see the difference between it and your car's speedo at different speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭thats not gone well

According to some EU directive posted here a few weeks ago a cars speedo must
    “over-read by at least 4%”.
    There-by indicated speed is higher than actual speed.
    I’m not entirely sure if this only applied to new cars or not.
    But all cars over read speed when new, it’s built into the “factor of safety” when designing it, so I don’t see how it’s plausible for a speedo to under read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Chris is correct when he says its MAX 10% over it WILL NEVER by law under read your speed.

I would never assume that my speedo is reading inaccurately that is just foolish. Unless you have had it checked out and I don't mean by GPS then take it you are doing what it says.

are those go safe cameras programmed with a small leeway too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

ugh....why does nearly every thread have to get so complicated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

are those go safe cameras programmed with a small leeway too?

Nobody knows for sure, but if Max_Damage knows someone who was caught at 53 in a 50, they use less than 6% leeway, 5% I'd assume. Or possibly a set 2km/h leniency. Or possibly none at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've heard many stories about someone's friend's father's cousin who was apparently done for 1 or 2 km/h over the limit by a Garda speed trap or gatso etc.. Yet the person relaying the story has never seen the ticket and is passing on info that is 2nd hand at best. I'm generally dubious about these stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

My understanding is that your speedo can be inaccurate by up to 10% (over) - i.e. it could be perfectly accurate or it could read 55 when you're doing 50.
    I believe also that this variance between true speed and speedo reading can change depending on what speed you're doing - i.e. it could be 5% over at 60kmph, but 8% over at 120kmph.

If I'm incorrect, please set me straight.

I realise you put this caveat in your post, but if your statements above can't be backed up in some way, it's pretty unfair to endanger other people's driving licences with speculation stated as fact.
    Theres a good few articles out on the interwebz about this and it has been discussed on this site at length before:
    http://www.consumer.org.nz/news/view/speedometer-accuracy

Yep, its based on NZ but the theory is widespread.

exactly i have 'heard' of many ppl for being done 1km over the limit but i am dubious which is why i asked for ppl who have been caught themselves and at what speed as if you are done for being 1km over there surely should have been at least a hundred posts to deem the same imho! and i do also assume that you will receive a fine quicker with this new system!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Mount Street, Dublin 2, Monday last, February 7th

CFC026C0218C49B0BBFC36798EE3A1D1-0000316522-0002159107-00800L-B0BFCFB93E4B41C5A5836AF495360B37.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

work colleague got done by gosafe last week. 85kph in 80kph zone. got the fine in the post 4 days after the incident.

I had thought 5km of a leeway was probably going to be given but in this instance i guess they got trigger happy and werent having a productive day.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

Hi,

Just wondering is anyone has been caught speeding and been issued a fine from any of the Safety Speed Vans about the country?

Was doing about 100 KM in Gormanstown last night (80Km zone). Didn't see the thing until I was on top of it. Wondering should I be expecting a letter in the post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I would think they'll be in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

someone else started this exact same thread yesterday.

it took my fine around ten days to arrive. 80 euro and two points, or 120 euro if you leave it more than 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

For God's sake stop calling those things "safety cameras"

They have nothing to do with safety, I might as well be saying I'm typing on a safety keyboard while drinking safety coffee from a safety cup which is resting on a safety saucer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

Safely transfer cash from your pocket into the state coffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭doOh

Safely transfer cash from your pocket into the state coffers.

ahahha xD

I got caught on N6 in athlone doing 111km/h in 100km/h ... come on ;/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ghosty!

HAHA yea!! safety cameras that are in 50kmh built up zones at half 2 in the morning!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

ghosty! wrote: »
    HAHA yea!! safety cameras that are in 50kmh built up zones at half 2 in the morning!!!!!

Exactly what happened to me! 60km/h in a 50km/h zone, in the wee small hours of the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭steevee

did me in the truck at 88kph in a 100 at 330am:o:o. legal limit for anything over 7.5t is 80kph:(

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Bazsutto wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering is anyone has been caught speeding and been issued a fine from any of the Safety Speed Vans about the country?

Was doing about 100 KM in Gormanstown last night (80Km zone). Didn't see the thing until I was on top of it. Wondering should I be expecting a letter in the post.

I think there will be a legal challenge, if they are trimming the hedge rows they have to erect a sign. Any cameras I have passed had no warning they were operating in that area,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I thought they were only supposed to operate on a stretch of road that someone had been killed, seen them on one of the airport sliproads the other day, don't think i've ever heard of anyone being killed there... open to correction..... shouldn't be on a road where no fatal accidents have occured...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I passed one the other day in an 80km road and i was doing 86km.

Does anyone reckon i will be done for or not?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Crackle

Saw a gosafe van for the first time last night. Just outside Banogue in Co. Limerick at about half 10. Thankfully I was behind someone doing 80kmh (speed limit is 100). Otherwise I may have had an unpleasant letter arriving on my doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

@Irish homer yeah i think they allow plus or minus 1 maybe 2 km

• Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I passed one the other day in an 80km road and i was doing 86km.

Does anyone reckon i will be done for or not?:confused:

satnav indicated, digital speedo indicated or read off a needle? Needle displays generally deliberately over-read, so you'd have been going slower anyway. And then the cameras are generally calibrated for a few km+ anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,784 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The locations of the Garda vans won't be on the Garda website, only the private vans.

Are the Garda locations not the ones marked as a grey overlay on recent OSI maps?

Advertisement