Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I passed one the other day in an 80km road and i was doing 86km.

Does anyone reckon i will be done for or not?:confused:

As far as I know there is an 8kph or so buffer zone, most speedos are set around 8kph on the high side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

bryaner wrote: »
    As far as I know there is an 8kph or so buffer zone, most speedos are set around 8kph on the high side anyway.

not the gosafe vans in this area. a girl in work got one.. 85kph in 80kph zone..came 5 working days after it happenen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The Garda one has been on Firhouse Road in Tallaght/Ballyboden quite a bit in recent weeks.I've passed it at least 5 times, it's a fairly straight open stretch of road and it's very easy to go over the limit so be careful if you're in that area

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dithane

not the gosafe vans in this area. a girl in work got one.. 85kph in 80kph zone..came 5 working days after it happenen.

Yes - but what was on her speedo at the time?

I see that as a question that people on here have?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hauliesleap

89km/h in an 80 km/h zone. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

work colleague got done by gosafe last week. 85kph in 80kph zone. got the fine in the post 4 days after the incident.

I had thought 5km of a leeway was probably going to be given but in this instance i guess they got trigger happy and werent having a productive day.

Jeez thats a bit much isnt it. The worst cop in the world wouldnt do you for that in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Got one last week doing 58km in 50km zone in longford,cost me 80 euro & 2 pts on my licence, Another lesson learned.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Got done for 106kmph in a 100kmph so am afraid they aren't allowing much if any.
    If these aren't money making then I am surprised. :rolleyes:

yop wrote: »
    Got done for 106kmph in a 100kmph so am afraid they aren't allowing much if any.
    If these aren't money making then I am surprised. :rolleyes:

Sh!tehawk the dirty jezebels!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sh!tehawk the dirty jezebels!!!

lol, my sarcasm wasn't felt ;)

Well it definitely slow a lot of people down 5 or 10mph. Probably not a bad thing in one way.

• Advertisement

Well it definitely slow a lot of people down 5 or 10mph. Probably not a bad thing in one way.

Didn't detect sarcasm dude as I don't really know what allowance they permit and it's all possible, all I know is that the missus was fined and points for 61kph in the 50kph.

I imagine she was 4-5kph over the buffer zone anyway..

Sh!te see it now lol slowish today.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The problem here, given politicians with limited brain power but with a desire to raise the maximum revenue to support the German bond holders is that if there was (say) a 10% margin on speeds in excess of the limits, then everyone would simply drive at 110kph in a 100kph zone. However, given the power of computer systems nowadays, there is a clear solution:

Let's start every driver on 10 speed credits. If he (or she to be politically correct) then is clocked at 5% over the limit he loses a credit. 10% loses two credits and that may occur by two 5% overs accumulating. More credits can be lost by the accumulation procedure. Loss of all credits leads to a fine and two points on the licence. Anyone exceeding the limit by 15% earns the two points on their licence anyway.

If any driver has not lost more than 5 credits in a 12 month period, then he (or she) returns to 10 credits. In every case the driver receives an automated letter telling him (her) how his (her) credit rating has changed every time it has.

The trouble with implementing such a system is that:

a) It would cost €50 millions and wouldn't work at the end of it. The technology would have to be stored in a warehouse in Waterford for ten years before being scrapped.
    b) It would reduce the stealth tax take
    c) An incoming government would sell the system to a private company for €5 or set it up in the first place by PFI and then buy it back in ten years for €600 millions, upon which they would change the whole system and revert to fining everyone who strayed 1 kph over the limit.

Meanwhile I drive with one eye fixed on my speedo and one looking out for the potholes that will destroy my cars suspension. It's only a matter of time before I run into someone that I hadn't seen. I only have two eyes, and they are becoming fast able to point in two or more directions at once, but not three.:o

ART6 wrote: »
    The problem here, given politicians with limited brain power but with a desire to raise the maximum revenue to support the German bond holders is that if there was (say) a 10% margin on speeds in excess of the limits, then everyone would simply drive at 110kph in a 100kph zone. However, given the power of computer systems nowadays, there is a clear solution:

Let's start every driver on 10 speed credits. If he (or she to be politically correct) then is clocked at 5% over the limit he loses a credit. 10% loses two credits and that may occur by two 5% overs accumulating. More credits can be lost by the accumulation procedure. Loss of all credits leads to a fine and two points on the licence. Anyone exceeding the limit by 15% earns the two points on their licence anyway.

If any driver has not lost more than 5 credits in a 12 month period, then he (or she) returns to 10 credits. In every case the driver receives an automated letter telling him (her) how his (her) credit rating has changed every time it has.

a) It would cost €50 millions and wouldn't work at the end of it. The technology would have to be stored in a warehouse in Waterford for ten years before being scrapped.
    c) An incoming government would sell the system to a private company for €5 or set it up in the first place by PFI and then buy it back in ten years for €600 millions, upon which they would change the whole system and revert to fining everyone who strayed 1 kph over the limit.

Meanwhile I drive with one eye fixed on my speedo and one looking out for the potholes that will destroy my cars suspension. It's only a matter of time before I run into someone that I hadn't seen. I only have two eyes, and they are becoming fast able to point in two or more directions at once, but not three.:o

Very well said..

Great point, I am definitely more tired now on my spins to and from Dublin for the exact same reason.
    I must check my speedo every 20 seconds at this stage as outside of the motorways the roads are so fkn bad you can use cruise control.
    Same with potholes, I already had to replace a 300 euro alloy and 156 euro tire with no compensation.

Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watch out tonight around Kells and possibly Virginia. I passed 2 of these vans at the Navan toll (heading for Cavan) about an hour ago - one white fully livered D-reg and the infamous red 10-KY one right in front of it.

No doubt they'll be camped out on the old N3 or the nice wide stretch either side of Virginia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

blah blah politicians blah blah revenue blah blah German bond holders blah blah voting machine reference blah blah stealth tax blah blah reference to privatisation & government corruption

For the love of God, can we not just stick to discussing Motors-related topics in the Motors forum?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but I read enough about German bond holders in the Politics forum. I come here for Motor-related discussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

doOh wrote: »
    ahahha xD

I got caught on N6 in athlone doing 111km/h in 100km/h ... come on ;/

I reckon I got done there last week. The speed limit has dropped to 50Km/h for the full length of the bypass. I was doing around 80 at 6:40am and there was the camera van waiting for me at the start of the motorway.

Torq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

My OH got done doing 95 in an 80kmh zone last week.
    I can't remember ever hearing of or seeing a crash on the same stretch,and it's literally 2 km from where I live..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I haven't seen any of them for months.
    I've only ever seen them in that utterly lethal section of killer road on the N4 out near the Spa Hotel. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

have seen a few in the last few weeks alright but before xmas didnt see any even though they were meant to be in operation. The two that I can remember were between Abbeyleix and Portlaoise on the old N8-where there have been loads of accidents. In fairness they should be there, mind you they prob wont be very effective. The second one I saw was between Ballylanders and Garryspillane on the R513 to Limerick from Mitchelstown. That is a place where they always try and catch ppl as it is a rotten road and is only 80kmph. IMO they will do no good, only raise expenses for people travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

steevee wrote: »
    did me in the truck at 88kph in a 100 at 330am:o:o. legal limit for anything over 7.5t is 80kph:(

just wondering did they really enforce this limit before now? i reckon its actually far more dangerous to have vehicles doing such different speeds... its going to force a lot more overtaking and in return a lot more dodgy overtaking

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Now that most of the new Go Safe Vans should have been deployed and the road signs are appearing around the country in the designated areas, my question is do the Fully Marked Go Safe Vans (as opposed to the survey or Gardai vans) have to operate within these signs?

On the N52 last week outside Mullingar at Cloughan Cross, there was a Van just past the pub at the crossroads, however the sign for the enforcement zone is a further 750M south and round a curve in the road and not in direct line of sight from the location of the van.

The signs are in the correct position as compared to the Go Safe Map. I did not have time to wait around and check if it was just parked up prior to moving into position within the zone, but it did look like it was "live" as I saw no driver in the cab.

Anyone else notice this in other areas where signs have gone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I've yet to see a new speed camera warning sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

spotted one on baggott street yesterday at 2.15pm. on the left hand side as you are coming from landsdowne road direction into town. about 50 yards before xtravision. luckily the lights had just changed so there was a row of cars doing about 40kph... now can anyone tell me how that will save lives having it in the middle of baggott street at that hour? shooting fish in a barrell is all it was doing as speed limit is 50khp there.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LC_x

to be honest the vans are a load of **** when the lazy bastards sitting in the van could be sorting out the fecking violence in the country instead of wasting their time trying to catch decent people for doing barely over the speed limit, then charging 80 euro and giving them two penalty points!Just another way for the fecking government to make money the feckers!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's a new sign that went up in Dundalk - a square white sign with a black speed camera signal. Also, where the limit changes from 80->60->50, the 60 sign has been replaced with a bigger 60 sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

LC_x wrote: »
    to be honest the vans are a load of **** when the lazy bastards sitting in the van could be sorting out the fecking violence in the country instead of wasting their time trying to catch decent people for doing barely over the speed limit, then charging 80 euro and giving them two penalty points!Just another way for the fecking government to make money the feckers!

Pity they ain't Gardai and they are privately employed individuals isn't it?

If anyone wants to see the GoSafe Vans, they are pretty regularly on the roundabout here (About 9 in the morning or 5.30 /6 at night)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.270917,-6.220064&num=1&t=h&ie=UTF8&ll=53.271238,-6.21927&spn=0.002817,0.009645&z=17

Presume there is a depot in Sandyford somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

LC_x wrote: »

Post constructively or don't post at all. This comment adds nothing to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Spotted one this evening outside Dunboyne on the way to Clonee. Speed is a stupidly low 50km/h

Advertisement