Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Yeah that Dunboyne-Clonee stretch is a real death trap (not). I cant remember any accidents on the road in its current state of engineering, its being upgraded a lot over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I dont know if it has been asked before but can any of the very illegal speed trap detectors see these vans.Not that I would condone such behaviour of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

One opposite Jacobs factory, Belgard Rd, Tallaght, at 5.30 in the morning, one day last week. New type, dark coloured with the camera stickers on. It was checking cars coming from the square direction.

Watching the post now. Maybe, maybe not. In a van registered to a company, not a person. Driver "told" me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Ronin247 wrote: »
    I dont know if it has been asked before but can any of the very illegal speed trap detectors see these vans.Not that I would condone such behaviour of course.

This thread may have information that's of relevance
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056091811

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Now that most of the new Go Safe Vans should have been deployed and the road signs are appearing around the country in the designated areas, my question is do the Fully Marked Go Safe Vans (as opposed to the survey or Gardai vans) have to operate within these signs?

It seems vague. The Garda FAQ suggests that they will operate only on the stretches of road identified on the Garda web site (and presumably being marked by signs). However, since the GNTSB decides where these areas are one assumes that they can add or subtract additional areas as time goes on.

• Advertisement

BTW Ranelagh Road/Charlemont St. seems to be popular with the Garda GATSOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 raveydavey

I thought the vans were supposed to be visable to drivers, ie big reflective stickers warning you of their presence. That van is illegally parked in the hard shoulder too (if its not a garda van). You'll easily have the case thrown out of court if evidence was obtained illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 raveydavey

There's a new sign that went up in Dundalk - a square white sign with a black speed camera signal. Also, where the limit changes from 80->60->50, the 60 sign has been replaced with a bigger 60 sign.

If theres a change in speed limit, the sign has to be bigger. If going from 80 to 60 then the 60 sign has to be a bigger one.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Watch out tonight around Kells and possibly Virginia. I passed 2 of these vans at the Navan toll (heading for Cavan) about an hour ago - one white fully livered D-reg and the infamous red 10-KY one right in front of it.

No doubt they'll be camped out on the old N3 or the nice wide stretch either side of Virginia
    they were parked on the virginia ballyjamesduff road the red one no marking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

BrianD wrote: »
    It seems vague. The Garda FAQ suggests that they will operate only on the stretches of road identified on the Garda web site (and presumably being marked by signs). However, since the GNTSB decides where these areas are one assumes that they can add or subtract additional areas as time goes on.

But presumably not without notifying/updating the map/roadsigns? Otherwise there was little or no point in publicising/signing the areas in the first place?

• Advertisement

But presumably not without notifying/updating the map/roadsigns? Otherwise there was little or no point in publicising/signing the areas in the first place?

True enough. The signage seems to be following a long while after the programme was launched.

The Garda FAQ does say that there will be updates - one assumes that this is when they will announce any new stretches of roads to be covered.
    raveydavey wrote:
    I thought the vans were supposed to be visable to drivers, ie big reflective stickers warning you of their presence. That van is illegally parked in the hard shoulder too (if its not a garda van). You'll easily have the case thrown out of court if evidence was obtained illegally.

I think the markings are a a PR/marketing exercise rather than a legal requirement. Having said that, covert speed enforcement doesn't really drive home the point. In Australia, even when the speed trap was hidden there would be a police sign further up the road stating "Police - Your speed has been checked". So even though you didn't see it ahead - you know about it immediately afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

BrianD wrote: »
    True enough. The signage seems to be following a long while after the programme was launched.

Not really bearing in mind that it is not fully operational until the end of this month. At launch they started with just 12 vans but were to build it up to the full fleet (Was it 45?...) by February 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

so do these new go-safe vans flash then??

and i heard a rumour that they have vehicle recognition, as in on a 100k road if theres a HGV thats max permissable speed is 80 and your doing say 90 still on the 100k road that they can pick it up... anyone know if theres any truth in that??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I passed an unmarked white van this morning, and saw a flash from it just as I was coming alongside it (it was parked on the left, facing me). I was doing about 60 in a 50, so I guess I'll know range, accuracy and speed of fine issue in due course!

Though, if the Go Safe vans are supposed to be marked, then perhaps this was the guards or something else...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

realies wrote: »
    Got one last week doing 58km in 50km zone in longford,cost me 80 euro & 2 pts on my licence, Another lesson learned.

Where were you done in Longford?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

so do these new go-safe vans flash then??

and i heard a rumour that they have vehicle recognition, as in on a 100k road if theres a HGV thats max permissable speed is 80 and your doing say 90 still on the 100k road that they can pick it up... anyone know if theres any truth in that??

I don't know if it is actually true but it is certainly possible. Think of the toll bridge video registration detection combined with speed detection.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gs300

My girlfriend got caught on the belgard road doing 69 in a 60. Her friend got caught the same night doing 68. Both got the fine within 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭pissed

Passed a white Garda van on the Navan road this evening on the way to work. A bit of confusion about the actual speed limit as I know it used to be 80kpm but they reduced it to 60kpm a few months back to facilitate road works. Road works finished but dont recall the original sign going back up..... so :confused:. Didnt see a flash though so fingers crossed. Posted.

It was near the Esso station inbound on the navan road between M50 and Halfway House.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

Anyone know what the story is regarding passing one of the vans at night time? I realise the radar will work but what about a number plate picture?
    i didnt notice any flash or lights or anything, only saw the van at the last min as it was pouring rain, bit worried as i was doing about 105 to 108 in a 100 zone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

I got done outside of Celbridge doing 64k on a 60k limit. Can this be contested? Ticket came less than a week after. I never saw a van or camera:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Anyone know what the story is regarding passing one of the vans at night time? I realise the radar will work but what about a number plate picture?
    i didnt notice any flash or lights or anything, only saw the van at the last min as it was pouring rain, bit worried as i was doing about 105 to 108 in a 100 zone :o

Had a similar incident last week (Tue), got caught in pouring rain, doing ~70 I think, in a 50k zone in Galway, on the way out of town.
    No sign of the fine yet in the post, does anyone know how long they can take?
    Also interested to know if anyone has info on the ability of the camera to recognise the number plate in those conditions.

corm500 wrote: »
    I got done outside of Celbridge doing 64k on a 60k limit. Can this be contested? Ticket came less than a week after. I never saw a van or camera:mad:

On what basis would you intend to contest this? Do you think the camera was incorrectly calibrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

-Chris- wrote: »
    On what basis would you intend to contest this? Do you think the camera was incorrectly calibrated?

On the basis that even a speedometer is not even exactly accurate for one I guess. Plus that these cameras were put in place to save lives, 4kmph above the speed of 60 surely isn't applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

corm500 wrote: »

man... that is rough

On the basis that even a speedometer is not even exactly accurate for one I guess. Plus that these cameras were put in place to save lives, 4kmph above the speed of 60 surely isn't applicable.

The speedometer will only read over, so more than likely when corm500 was doing 64KMPH, his speedometer was reading somewhere between 64-70KMPH.

I agree it's not fair, but I don't really think "it's not fair" is a valid grounds on which to contest this.

I agree it's not fair, but I don't really think "it's not fair" is a valid grounds on which to contest this.

Oh definitely not, but the reasons given above he definitely could use as valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Its utterly pointless to have vehicles report your speed inaccurately. Really whats the point of using a scale at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

I passed an unmarked white van this morning, and saw a flash from it just as I was coming alongside it (it was parked on the left, facing me). I was doing about 60 in a 50, so I guess I'll know range, accuracy and speed of fine issue in due course!

Though, if the Go Safe vans are supposed to be marked, then perhaps this was the guards or something else...

Was this on the Long Mile Road? Van flashed as i passed it on Tuesday but there was a moped going faster in the bus lane so hopefully it was flashing it.

Anyone got any idea of the range of these? I saw it a fair distance in front and slowed down but might have been still slightly over 50KM/h but was not over when I was within 200m of it.

Oh definitely not, but the reasons given above he definitely could use as valid points.

What reasons?

• Advertisement

What reasons?

Black spots only, save lives, agreed that signs should be place in controlled areas..

Advertisement