Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Black spots only, save lives, agreed that signs should be place in controlled areas..

Does that apply in corm500's particular case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Black spots only, save lives, agreed that signs should be place in controlled areas..

These safety camera vans are pretty noticeable, they're covered in reflective messages telling you to slow down. If corm500 didn't see a van, chances are it was an unmarked Garda GATSO van. They can park anywhere, anytime, and are not tied to the set zones where GoSafe vans may operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jivingirl

"and i heard a rumour that they have vehicle recognition, as in on a 100k road if theres a HGV thats max permissable speed is 80 and your doing say 90 still on the 100k road that they can pick it up... anyone know if theres any truth in that?? "

Yes, this is true. Trucker friend got a letter today saying he was caught doing 83km when the speed limit for trucks on the particular road was 80km (100km for cars).

Another friend got done for doing 82km in his lorry when the limit was 80km so they can definitely recognise the type of vehicle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

These safety camera vans are pretty noticeable, they're covered in reflective messages telling you to slow down. If corm500 didn't see a van, chances are it was an unmarked Garda GATSO van. They can park anywhere, anytime, and are not tied to the set zones where GoSafe vans may operate.

It's not easy to see when you are concentrating on the road, your speed, your mirrors (does not apply over here :rolleyes:) and any other tasks required to drive without looking out for "eye-sore scenery", i.e Gosafe Vans. I only saw one at the last few seconds myself on a straight bit of road on a DUAL CARRIAGEWAY, (what they are doing there I don't know anyway, shower of *****).

With 2 lines of traffic it's not always to easiest to see these vans. People spend more time now looking out for these bloody vans than concentrating on the road. I'm just waiting (would love) for a serious accident to happen because of these vans. Unfortunate for some, but this is the only way this dictatorship will see the complete uselessness of these barges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

I know what you mean, the only one I've ever seen was on Mulgrave Street, at 2am. I spotted it from the other end of the road (empty on-street parking and a hi-vis van :rolleyes:), but the tailgater behind me mustn't have noticed, as he didn't appreciate my 50km/h speed at 2am :confused:

But still, as a driver you should be able to spot a reflective van telling you to slow down, assuming it isn't parked behind a bush. If you can't see a bright red and reflective van at the side of the road, how do you intend to see the dark coloured van about to pull out in front of you, or the child about to run across the road, or potholes in the road, or any other sneaky hazard?

I have yet to pass one during the day (somehow, I travel most of their hunting grounds around the city almost every day, and I "keep up with traffic"), but aren't they supposed to be parked in very conspicuous areas? I thought the idea of plastering them with reflective signs telling you to slow down was so motorists could clearly see them, and slow down? Not much good if it turns out they're going to do their best to hide it until the last second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

It's not easy to see when you are concentrating on the road, your speed, your mirrors (does not apply over here :rolleyes:) and any other tasks required to drive without looking out for "eye-sore scenery", i.e Gosafe Vans. I only saw one at the last few seconds myself on a straight bit of road on a DUAL CARRIAGEWAY, (what they are doing there I don't know anyway, shower of *****).

With 2 lines of traffic it's not always to easiest to see these vans. People spend more time now looking out for these bloody vans than concentrating on the road. I'm just waiting (would love) for a serious accident to happen because of these vans. Unfortunate for some, but this is the only way this dictatorship will see the complete uselessness of these barges.

What people? I feel no need to look out for these vans at all. I've seen just two of them so far, and they didn't make a blind bit of difference to my driving or my concentration. A bizarre notion, IMO.

Also bizarre, and cynical to say the least, is to wish for "a serious accident to happen because of these vans". Such an event is highly unlikely, IMO, but any road collision resulting in death or serious injury is tragic for the people affected.

But still, as a driver you should be able to spot a reflective van telling you to slow down, assuming it isn't parked behind a bush. If you can't see a bright red and reflective van at the side of the road, how do you intend to see the dark coloured van about to pull out in front of you, or the child about to run across the road, or potholes in the road, or any other sneaky hazard?

The best I've seen is a bunch of lads getting out of a van having a laugh to themselves because they are after parking behind one of the speed vans blocking it's visibility completely. :D

50 kmph at 2am? tut tut.. :o

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    What people? I feel no need to look out for these vans at all. I've seen just two of them so far, and they didn't make a blind bit of difference to my driving or my concentration. A bizarre notion, IMO.

Also bizarre, and cynical to say the least, is to wish for "a serious accident to happen because of these vans". Such an event is highly unlikely, IMO, but any road collision resulting in death or serious injury is tragic for the people affected.

One of these vans was parked just before a junction off of a dual carriageway recently. Ever since then, people feel the need to slam on the brakes the second they turn on to the slip road, going well below the speed limit. I've put my hazards on countless times because of this and this coming from a good distance behind the car.

Judging from the driving (or lack of it) I'm sure only time will tell when the next accident does occur and my input makes no difference in any case. The carnage on the roads every week is enough evidence of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm just waiting (would love) for a serious accident to happen because of these vans. Unfortunate for some, but this is the only way this dictatorship will see the complete uselessness of these barges.
    The problem with this, is that the actual cause of the accident will not be placed on the presence of the van - but rather the dangerous driving of the vehicle that starts the accident (standing on the brakes to avoid a fine or whatever). Net result will be that those operating the safety vans will use it as justification for the placement of the van in that particular place and thus the cycle continues. The only difference will be that some people may have been severely injured - it will have no impact on the positioning or use of the van, except possibly resulting in the van being there more often :(

Top Dog wrote: »
    The problem with this, is that the actual cause of the accident will not be placed on the presence of the van - but rather the dangerous driving of the vehicle that starts the accident (standing on the brakes to avoid a fine or whatever). Net result will be that those operating the safety vans will use it as justification for the placement of the van in that particular place and thus the cycle continues. The only difference will be that some people may have been severely injured - it will have no impact on the positioning or use of the van, except possibly resulting in the van being there more often :(

Is this phenomenon that you have identified unique to Ireland?

In what other countries has it happened that the siting of speed/safety cameras in a particular location led to an increase in road deaths and injuries, which in turn led to continued use of the cameras in that location, which in turn led to more deaths and injuries?

Now that I think of it, has it happened in Ireland yet? Or is it just a matter of time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭shogunpower

does anyone else think iwannahurl is jock 101?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any more experience here of how long it takes ticket to arrive if caught by the 'safety vans'?

Must be about 3 weeks now since I was possibly caught.

I did a quick search. Jock101 is another Boards member, right? No, not me.

Is this you?

Is this phenomenon that you have identified unique to Ireland?

In what other countries has it happened that the siting of speed/safety cameras in a particular location led to an increase in road deaths and injuries, which in turn led to continued use of the cameras in that location, which in turn led to more deaths and injuries?

Now that I think of it, has it happened in Ireland yet? Or is it just a matter of time?
    Ya wha? :confused:

I was merely suggesting that if there was an accident beside a safety camera as suggested by another poster - then it would just lead to the operators smugly claiming they were right to be at that particular spot. It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if there was never an accident there before, nor would it matter that the presence of the camera van contributed to the accident happening.

Is it really that hard to follow? Or have I put in some incorrect word that skews what I was trying to say? :confused:

Top Dog wrote: »
    Ya wha? :confused:

I was merely suggesting that if there was an accident beside a safety camera as suggested by another poster - then it would just lead to the operators smugly claiming they were right to be at that particular spot. It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference if there was never an accident there before, nor would it matter that the presence of the camera van contributed to the accident happening.

Is it really that hard to follow? Or have I put in some incorrect word that skews what I was trying to say? :confused:

You used the phrase "the cycle continues". One single incident (actual or alleged) does not a cycle make.

You used the phrase "the cycle continues". One single incident (actual or alleged) does not a cycle make.
    The "cycle" I was referring to was the poor justifications being used for the siting of these Revenue Safety Vans - being positioned on previously (and probably still) safe stretches of road.

Guess I didn't do a great job of explaining that point before :o

If you've an issue with a poster or post, please report the post. Otherwise, leave it out.

I did a quick search. Jock101 is another Boards member, right? No, not me.

Is this you?

Same applies.

Both of you (and possibly Corkie too...), please drop it.

Thread merged into Speed Camera Mega Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

Modnote: Thread moved into Speed Camera Mega Thread

I have seen a couple of these supposedly highly visible Gatso Vans around. The advert on the radio during their implementation said that they were highly visible yet this one is unmarked and hidden behind a Sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

supposedly the unmarked ones are only doing surveys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

That is what they say allright. I wonder why they still have a camera though????. What road is that OP. I know it but I cannot think where it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mcasey

Its a road I was on yesterday over by Carrick on Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

The speed van on the Tramore to Waterford road hides in an entrance so all thats visible is just the corner of the van.Thankfully most people warn others when its there.It makes you wonder if they've been honest about the 'non-commision' part.Why would they hide to catch people if there was no incentive for them???

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Hi Mick, whereabouts on the Waterford Tramore road, if you don't mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if they are meant to be visible, why arent they dayglo green or orange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If the van is on private property without the consent of the land owner that is trespassing.

It would follow on that every detection made from an illegal act is null and void.

I have never seen Garda speed enforcement from a place which is not a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

The Gardaí have about 5 of their own unmarked gatso vans according to yer man from the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Didn't the government say that when the cameras were introduced a percentage of them would be covert?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ART6 wrote: »
    Didn't the government say that when the cameras were introduced a percentage of them would be covert?

Didn't hear anything about that.
    You may be thinking of the existing Gardaí vans which will continue to be used.

GoSafe operated vans are hi-vis with the exception of a small number of unmarked vans which are used for survey purposes only.
    http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590&Lang=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Didn't hear anything about that.
    You may be thinking of the existing Gardaí vans which will continue to be used.

GoSafe operated vans are hi-vis with the exception of a small number of unmarked vans which are used for survey purposes only.
    http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590&Lang=1

Just checked - I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Click http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

and look at the last paragraph of page 3 of safetycameras.pdf

Advertisement