Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

-Corkie- wrote: »
    That is what they say allright. I wonder why they still have a camera though????.

To survey with?
    trad wrote: »
    If the van is on private property without the consent of the land owner that is trespassing.

It would follow on that every detection made from an illegal act is null and void.

I have never seen Garda speed enforcement from a place which is not a public place.

An interesting argument. I'm sure it won't be long until it is tried in court. The difficulty will be proving it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

k_mac wrote: »
    To survey with?

I know that but are they taking pictures of cars passing so???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I got a ticket for parking beyond those yellow lines opposite a continuous white line many years ago. So no OP, it's not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

squod wrote: »
    I got a ticket for parking beyond those yellow lines opposite a continuous white line many years ago. So no OP, it's not legal.
    it looks like an entrance to a field, how on earth do ya think a ticket would be issued for that, anyway the van is about 2 foot inside the yellow line

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

woody33 wrote: »
    Hi Mick, whereabouts on the Waterford Tramore road, if you don't mind?

Just before you round the bend before Robin Hill coming from Tramore.I think where he parks is a council entrance so they prob not doin anything illegal in terms of tresspassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ART6 wrote: »
    Just checked - I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Click http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html

and look at the last paragraph of page 3 of safetycameras.pdf

That report was prepared in 2005 and only contains recommendations on the general use of cameras, both Garda and privately operated. Some of these recommendations have not been implemented afaik, for example it wanted 80% of observations to be done covertly in the first year.

GoSafe enforcement vans are intentionally designed to be conspicuous and intended for overt operations. I'm fairly sure that only Garda cars/vans and tripods (apparently some of these have cameras too) will be used for covert enforcement as has always been the case before the new cameras were introduced. Perhaps some of the AGS boardsies could clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

guil wrote: »
    supposedly the unmarked ones are only doing surveys

i got a fine and points from an unmarked van last year.
    Fabritzo wrote: »
    The Gardaí have about 5 of their own unmarked gatso vans according to yer man from the AA.

i've seen at least 3 different unmarked vans within ten miles of my house over the last week. i'd say there's an awful lot more than 5 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i saw my first one of thses vans 2 days ago, in fairness it was highly visible in a bright blue colour with giant yellow camera signs all over it,

it was sitting in traffic so im not sure if it would be hidden or not, but it would be easy to spot,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

guil wrote: »
    it looks like an entrance to a field, how on earth do ya think a ticket would be issued for that, anyway the van is about 2 foot inside the yellow line

You'd be entitled to check they had permission from the land owner, if not then it's illegal to park at an entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

andyseadog wrote: »
    i got a fine and points from an unmarked van last year.

i've seen at least 3 different unmarked vans within ten miles of my house over the last week. i'd say there's an awful lot more than 5 :confused:
    how do ya know the one ya got the fine from wasnt the guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Feel sick. Just passed one of the vans and I was doing about 105km's in a 100km zone. Have never had penalty points or have never been fined, I'm usually very aware of my speed, but I was overtaking a school bus in the fast lane when i spotted it. I'm an eejit.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Some of whats on here is indicative of general driving habits on our roads.
    But isn't the M50 just plain hilarious ? Try driving at the designated speed limit on it and you'll be flashed, glared at, fingered (ooohhhhhyeahhhh) and some of the other too yet in spite of all the waves of illegal driving, it's very hard to see where the enforcement comes in, isn't it ?
    I mean if detection is the name of the Garda game, then they could catch thousands every single morning so why ain't that happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

This post has been deleted.
    Yes, my speed read about 105. I didn't see a flash, there were two other cars in front of me doing greater speeds so they blocked my view of the van. Hoping all I get is a fine, my lesson will be well and truely learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

In relation to my original query....doing 64k in a 60k area...looking at the charge they have sent in the post it is that I am doing this speed in a 50k area. I have been back to this stretch of road and nowhere on it does it say 50k. All of the speed signs say 60k...curious????:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

woody33 wrote: »
    Hi Mick, whereabouts on the Waterford Tramore road, if you don't mind?

Assuming you are familiar with Tramore but its generally always parked outside the pump house, there is a little driveway before you reach gates and it parks there. But anywhere from the Pickardstown Garrage up to Robins Hill.

There always out on the Dunmore Road, parked outside an old Maxol garage.

The City Council queried the locations, saying they felt it was for commercial gain seeing as they are not in accident prone spots but instead spots where there would be a lot of traffic. (http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/gardai-%E2%80%98gatso%E2%80%99-vans-aren%E2%80%99t-income-driven/)

Interestingly, there are now speed camera signs appearing (one as you head towards the Port of Waterford (R680) - out past Ferrybank there and the unused shopping complex) and also on that half road/dual carriageway thingy to Carriack on Suir (N24)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

corm500 wrote: »
    In relation to my original query....doing 64k in a 60k area...looking at the charge they have sent in the post it is that I am doing this speed in a 50k area. I have been back to this stretch of road and nowhere on it does it say 50k. All of the speed signs say 60k...curious????:confused:

Imagine thats grounds for appeal, because you didn't break the law as described. Perhaps a letter to the superintendent pointing out there are no 60k signs on the road reported, and if he could look into it otherwise you would be forced to appeal the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

corm500 wrote: »

I've posted on here before about them catching people breaking the limit in an 80 km/h zone, when in fact it was a 100 km/h zone. The fines/points were rescinded, so definitely look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Presume you can get caught when you are heading away from the camera too? I was about 25ft away from the start of an 80Km zone, speeding up towards the 80 but technically still in a 60Km zone. Looked in the mirror, saw a white, unmarked van with a camera mounted on the back window, the moment I spotted it, it flashed (very noticeable because it was dusk). No traffic coming towards them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

There was a speed camera van(white) this morning on the new Ballycoolin Road at the lovely time of 5:30am catching the odd car travelling in the opposite direction to the one I was travelling in. Nicely parked at a layby on a bend, didn't see any flashes in the rear view mirror of any passing traffic(including me) though. Also this road had a red survey van on it a short while back, I had reported it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Presume you can get caught when you are heading away from the camera too? I was about 25ft away from the start of an 80Km zone, speeding up towards the 80 but technically still in a 60Km zone. Looked in the mirror, saw a white, unmarked van with a camera mounted on the back window, the moment I spotted it, it flashed (very noticeable because it was dusk). No traffic coming towards them.

Yes, they can get both lanes going either direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Wait a second.. If I pass the van heading north lets say and the back doors of the van are facing north, does that mean he can catch me??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

draffodx wrote: »

Thought so frown.gif

I guess I'll confirm this (or not) in 3 weeks.
    -Corkie- wrote: »
    Wait a second.. If I pass the van heading north lets say and the back doors of the van are facing north, does that mean he can catch me??

As above, I was going the opposite direct, no cars coming towards him. Definitely seen a flash. As it was dusk, it lit up the whole area. Would have noticed him only I was too busy checking why the fuel gauge on my car wasn't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Rooney10 wrote: »
    too busy checking ... the fuel gauge

Dangerous things to have in cars, fuel gauges. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 isainmdom

saw one late last nigth about a mile outside of banogue on the cork side,there was an artic tractor unit in front ,he had been keeping up with traffic prior to the town doing shy of 100,he slowed down to speed limit in town and only acclerated to under 80 on leaving the town so was a bit dubious, held back and hey presto one was sitting on the side of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Theres one now about 1 mile from carmore cross at GAA grounds gate on R339 on a head heading towards Monivea

saw it about 11AM black/gray van

was going 65KPH tho behind a van thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

draffodx wrote: »

Slightly incorrect. The van is targeting one lane. But they can target that lane with cars approaching or going away. They don't target two lanes (e.g. North and Sound bound) at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not sure if this topic has been covered already but here's one for you. I saw a marked GoSafe van here last friday afternoon. According to the publicity, the marked vans are 'on duty'. However, this section of road is NOT marked on the Garda/GoSafe site. What's the story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Chicken1

Do you think if we see a gatso van operating on a safe stretch of road we should start warning other drivers by flashing lights, I think if its going to be a money making exercise and not safety related we should do this.

I saw one outside Galway on a straight stretch of road recently and warned eveyone coming towards me.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Chicken1 wrote: »
    Do you think if we see a gatso van operating on a safe stretch of road we should start warning other drivers by flashing lights, I think if its going to be a money making exercise and not safety related we should do this.

I saw one outside Galway on a straight stretch of road recently and warned eveyone coming towards me.:D:D
    I don't think agree with this.
    If someone can't see the van on a safe stretch of road then its likely that the driver won't see plenty of other things there.
    Also, there are so many unmarked cars out there that sooner or later you will get done for obstructing the gardai in the course of their duties!

Advertisement