Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Does anyone know how long it takes the gardai to send out a speeding fine.I got caught nearly 2 months ago and still no sign of it.Also are the points applied from the date i was done or the date they issue decide to send the fine?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Usually it takes a week or two for the notice to arrive. You then admit the offence or challenge it.
    Assuming that you admit to it, then a few weeks later the points are applied to your licence.
    If you challenge then expect a summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Whats the chances that the guard lost his notebook and ive gotten away with it.Or is it more likely that he has caught so many poor sods that he struggling to keep up with issuing fines??????

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Was stopped in the quays in Dublin in late Oct. doing 52km in 30 km zone. Have not heard anything since.

Have northern licence, but living in galway for yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

kbannon wrote: »
    I don't think agree with this.
    If someone can't see the van on a safe stretch of road then its likely that the driver won't see plenty of other things there.
    Also, there are so many unmarked cars out there that sooner or later you will get done for obstructing the gardai in the course of their duties!

Have you seen those vans?

The Gray and White ones camouflage very well into the surroundings this time of year

Tho red ones are more visible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If someone can't see the van on a safe stretch of road then its likely that the driver won't see plenty of other things there.
    Also, there are so many unmarked cars out there that sooner or later you will get done for obstructing the gardai in the course of their duties!

Its not the Gardai that are operating them, heard a lot of complaints this morning on local radio that a gatso is van parked on a very safe road outside Galway that has had no accidents and they are doing speed traps, its a money making exercise, I knew they would not stick to their original plans of unsafe roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Its not the Gardai that are operating them, heard a lot of complaints this morning on local radio that a gatso is van parked on a very safe road outside Galway that has had no accidents and they are doing speed traps, its a money making exercise, I knew they would not stick to their original plans of unsafe roads.

Yep the airport road, of all the roads this is probably one of the safest since its wide lanes, straight and wide hard shoulders

a pure moneymaking exercise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

One opposite Jacobs factory, Belgard Rd, Tallaght, at 5.30 in the morning, one day last week. New type, dark coloured with the camera stickers on. It was checking cars coming from the square direction.

Watching the post now. Maybe, maybe not. In a van registered to a company, not a person. Driver "told" me....

That van was there again at 5.30 this morning. Saturday morning ! Completely uncalled for!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Storm 10 wrote: »

The evidence seems to be mounting up that this is just what it is, as it was in the UK. Personally I am strongly opposed to authorities using cameras to spy on the people for whatever reason. I simply do not trust them to use the equipment honestly and properly. I don't like politicians and their minions spying on me.

If the purpose of this initiative was really to reduce accidents then there is a more open and honest way of doing it. It involves sensible speed limits, roads that are properly designed and maintained and are safe to drive on, and the AGS Traffic Corps. It involves a Garda using his discretion and not reporting someone for going a couple of KPH over some arbitrary speed limit when overtaking. It also involves incompetent politicians ceasing their relentless pursuit of money from one section of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

That van was there again at 5.30 this morning. Saturday morning ! Completely uncalled for!

surely it shouldn't matter when or where the van is? If you're doing the speed limit that is.

Fair enough it may be a safe road and they said they'd stick to black spots, but the speed limit is the speed limit and they can and should enforce it, anywhere they see fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Ok so I was given a ticket for doing 72km in a 60km zone on the Tallaght Bypass (what a joke of a speed limit, and I thought these vans were supposed to be at black spots?).

Anyway I recieved the notice dated 18th Jan which says I have 28 days to pay €80 and if not paid, then I have another 28 days to pay €120. I have calculated that this brings me up to 16th March to pay €120.

I called the number on the notice yesterday with laser card in hand only to be told I couldny pay over the phone as there were penalty points involved, WHAT A JOKE (this is the year 2011!!

So over to the post office I go today the 5th March to pay the fine (still 13 days within the time limit) only to be told that the fine isnt on the SYSTEM???

I got two print outs showing the attempts made.

What should I do now??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Can anyone tell me if this GoSafe company are solely using vans? A friend of mine was travelling on the N2 towards Ashbourne during the week and he is adamant he seen a camera set up in the rear of a Toyota Landcruiser parked on the side of the road. He said it could be seen clearly because the traffic was backed up because of the traffic lights. Were he explained that it was parked I've often seen these vans parked at the spot but I've never seen or heard of commercial jeeps being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

ART6 wrote: »
    The evidence seems to be mounting up that this is just what it is, as it was in the UK. Personally I am strongly opposed to authorities using cameras to spy on the people for whatever reason. I simply do not trust them to use the equipment honestly and properly. I don't like politicians and their minions spying on me.

If the purpose of this initiative was really to reduce accidents then there is a more open and honest way of doing it. It involves sensible speed limits, roads that are properly designed and maintained and are safe to drive on, and the AGS Traffic Corps. It involves a Garda using his discretion and not reporting someone for going a couple of KPH over some arbitrary speed limit when overtaking. It also involves incompetent politicians ceasing their relentless pursuit of money from one section of the community.

Somebody please rename this thread the Speed Camera Mega-Rant. There is no such "evidence" AFAIK. If "one section of the community" is apparently willing to make itself liable (repeatedly, in some individual cases) for handing over its hard-earned cash to "incompetent politicians" then "relentless pursuit" is hardly necessary. I've never given the IPs a red cent via this means, nor do I intend to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I would have to wonder about that seeing as how it is not the Gardai that are operating these things. The law would stick if you were flashing at people that there is a garda speed check/checkpoint ahead but this is a private company so I dont think it applies to them.
    ART6 wrote: »

Of course, its a money making exercise and a very efficient one at that. A Garda doing speed checks can only catch one driver at the time and it takes a few minutes for him/her to pull them over and write them up etc. but these vans can sit there all day long and get a snap of everyone that passes by them over the speed limit with no escape in between. Im surprised they didnt think of it ages ago. Look at the money they could have made by now :rolleyes:.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

D_murph wrote: »
    I would have to wonder about that seeing as how it is not the Gardai that are operating these things. The law would stick if you were flashing at people that there is a garda speed check/checkpoint ahead but this is a private company so I dont think it applies to them.
    They are doing it on behalf of the gardai and while I haven't looked, I would be very surprised if it wasn't taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I would love to have someone checking the law on this.

Is a private company can actually issue a legal fine, give you points or been pursue for speeding for braking the law ?

There is always the argument they try to make money to survive, even if tehy swore they will be fair etc.....

I also notice those vans are not on the 600 dangerous points as announced by the garda. but on some nice tricky zones..... so definitely a money making.

Not a fast driver but can be cut in a 50k/h zone easily if coming through a long straight at 70k or 80k. Especially when you drives hours each day like me.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This is not like shooting fish in a barrel!

Fish in a barrel don't have a choice, drivers do.

BTW speed cameras allow for a few km above the limit, not however a good few above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Seen my first one last night here, the surveying van was in the exact same position a few weeks ago so they obviously came to the conclusion it was a nice money making spot.

The road is downhill where you have to brake to keep under the posted limit if there is no traffic in front of you, cant think of any reason a speed check there would make it safer.

draffodx wrote: »
    Seen my first one last night here, the surveying van was in the exact same position a few weeks ago so they obviously came to the conclusion it was a nice money making spot.

The road is downhill where you have to brake to keep under the posted limit if there is no traffic in front of you, cant think of any reason a speed check there would make it safer.

That looks like a built-up area. What's the speed limit on the road?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    That looks like a built-up area. What's the speed limit on the road?

It is a build up area, limit is 50km/h or it appears to be 50km/h there is a lack of sign posts but two LED displays that display your speed without actually letting you know what the limit is. One is behind the speed camera, the other at the top of the hill at the stillorgan by pass.

The way the area is, no one could actually speed there, but could be easily caught a couple of km over the limit.

It was also placed there when mass was on in the church up the road, meaning 70 + cars were going to be passing it in a short period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

How long does it usually take for a speeding notice to be issued if you are snapped by a Garda GATSO van?

Was flashed by a marked Garda van at silly o'clock in the morning at the end of January and have yet to receive anything in the post. It was at the bend leading to the M1 from after the Coachman's Inn.

It's a 60km/h zone and I'm usually very careful to stay under the limit (usually to the annoyance of other drivers), but it's a popular area for speed checks.
    On that particular morning I completely forgot and drifted over. There was another car somewhat ahead of me and much closer to the van, but I feel that the flash was for me. :mad:

If no notice arrives and I subsequently receive a summons, what can I do? Is that likely?

It is a build up area, limit is 50km/h or it appears to be 50km/h there is a lack of sign posts but two LED displays that display your speed without actually letting you know what the limit is. One is behind the speed camera, the other at the top of the hill at the stillorgan by pass.

The way the area is, no one could actually speed there, but could be easily caught a couple of km over the limit.

It was also placed there when mass was on in the church up the road, meaning 70 + cars were going to be passing it in a short period of time.

I had a better look at the road and environs using StreetView. It's a very built-up residential area, and therefore a speed limit of 50 kph (or lower) is to be expected. I can't see why motorists, especially those familiar with the area (and those using it, perhaps, as a way to avoid the N11 and get to the Merrion Road?) can't easily stick to 50 kph or below without major prompting.

If there is no speeding then nobody has anything to worry about. The idea that a speed camera might be targeting mass-goers "a couple of km over the limit" for revenue-raising purposes is pure speculation.

If anyone is breaking the speed limit in this area they deserve a ticket. If the Garda and traffic wardens were any use they'd also be tackling the usual motorists' abuse of footpaths which can be observed along this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

If there is no speeding then nobody has anything to worry about.

There was a time when I agreed wholeheartedly with the above, but my recent *inadvertent* run in with a GATSO van has changed my mind. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

What I'd give to have a Northern Licence.....

Think I'd probably repeatedly drive by one of those vans in a 50km zone doing 56km with my fingers up!!

*****rs!

I had a better look at the road and environs using StreetView. It's a very built-up residential area, and therefore a speed limit of 50 kph (or lower) is to be expected. I can't see why motorists, especially those familiar with the area (and those using it, perhaps, as a way to avoid the N11 and get to the Merrion Road?) can't easily stick to 50 kph or below without major prompting.

If there is no speeding then nobody has anything to worry about. The idea that a speed camera might be targeting mass-goers "a couple of km over the limit" for revenue-raising purposes is pure speculation.

If anyone is breaking the speed limit in this area they deserve a ticket. If the Garda and traffic wardens were any use they'd also be tackling the usual motorists' abuse of footpaths which can be observed along this road.

Of course it is speculation, it is just my opinion on the decision to place it there at that time.

It is a built up area with some residential parts off to either side and can be quite busy, however I think people can and do drive that road above the 50km/h limit safely and without hassle, you may call it speeding but in reality it is just breaking a posted limit that is not flexible enough to take into account real life situations.

I agree with catching people who excessively speed but this idea off trying to catch anyone over any limit anywhere is getting a bit much in my opinion.

Of course it is speculation, it is just my opinion on the decision to place it there at that time.

It is a built up area with some residential parts off to either side and can be quite busy, however I think people can and do drive that road above the 50km/h limit safely and without hassle, you may call it speeding but in reality it is just breaking a posted limit that is not flexible enough to take into account real life situations.

I agree with catching people who excessively speed but this idea off trying to catch anyone over any limit anywhere is getting a bit much in my opinion.

The speed limit is 50 kph. That's what has been lawfully determined and that's what motorists should comply with. Who gets to decide that driving too fast on that road can be done "safely" and "without hassle"? Motorists who like/condone speeding? Or perhaps the local residents, cyclists who use that busy route or pedestrians?

Terms like "excessively speeding" are, to my mind, just self-serving justifications for selfish behaviour on the roads. AFAIK there have been at least two road fatalities on the Newtownpark Road within the last six or seven years. It's also a narrow enough road that's busy with traffic (including HGVs, though that may have changed in recent times) and there is also a quality of life issue for residents and vulnerable road users passing through.

Anyone exceeding the posted limit should be fined, and if appropriate given penalty points. That would be a real-life situation that might knock some sense and consideration into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

I dont agree with you at all. The limits on many roads were designed years ago when roads were less safe and cars were less safe. They are completely inappropriate in many areas.

I got done doing 74 in a 60 zone a few weeks ago. In the past the road was part of the main cork dublin road and had heavy traffic on it. It is not built up. The limit has remained at 60kph despite the road having been by passed by two different roads and there is also a round about just before it so even if you are going over the limit it wont be by much. It is not a residential area, the road is straight and very wide and the traffic volume is light. The limit is totally inappropriate and also badly signed.

And low and behold it is by far the most popular spot to catch traffic speeding in the area.

I have a question for you? How many miles a year do you drive?

Also, why are these vans not pained in reflective blue and yellow paint like the Traffic Corp cars? They are painted blue and yellow but it is not reflective. They should have to stand out like Garda cars but they dont. More dirty tactics as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

AFAIK there have been at least two road fatalities on the Newtownpark Road within the last six or seven years.
    2 deaths in 6 or 7 years does not a black-spot make. Nor does it make for a dangerous section of road. These camera vans were touted as being Safety Vans - yet time and time again (as this thread alone proves) they're being placed in perfectly safe areas, with very little history of accidents or deaths, and the only possible explaination for this is that they are (as we've all thought from the start) merely a money-making exercise. Yet another way to punish the motorist for the slightest transgression. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

There is a school just past the junction on the right, which might justify the speed limit.

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    2 deaths in 6 or 7 years does not a black-spot make. Nor does it make for a dangerous section of road. These camera vans were touted as being Safety Vans - yet time and time again (as this thread alone proves) they're being placed in perfectly safe areas, with very little history of accidents or deaths, and the only possible explaination for this is that they are (as we've all thought from the start) merely a money-making exercise. Yet another way to punish the motorist for the slightest transgression. :mad:

This thread "proves" nothing of the sort, nor could it.

As for the implication that two deaths in less than a decade on a specific road might not be a matter of serious concern, I imagine that the families of the people killed might see things a little differently.

The speed limit on the Newtownpark Road is 50 kph. The simplest way for motorists to avoid 'punishment' is to stay within the lawfully imposed limit. That's not an arduous task.

Advertisement