Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The clue is in the name. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jimmynokia wrote: »
    AH here did you want me to ask the driver to hold the other end of the tape when i was behind him,i dont know,what difference does that make anyway?:confused:
    I'd stop digging...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The clue is in the name. ;)

Well what i gather there is he cylces on a path but the way he is going on he cycles on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

jimmynokia wrote: »
    AH here did you want me to ask the driver to hold the other end of the tape when i was behind him,i dont know,what difference does that make anyway?:confused:
    Surely you must know why it's important. It's a great tribute to your driving skill.

How many car lengths were you driving behind him, at 80 kph, in the rain, when you dexterously took one hand off the wheel, got out your Nokia C7 camera phone, selected camera mode, zoomed in and took the picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can we get back on-topic with regard to Speed Cameras?

The safety of taking photos while driving, or braking distances while driving in the rain, are fodder for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Drive On

Just wondering, have any statistic's (official or otherwise) been published since these things went live that would give an indication of there effectiveness, with respect to "road safety".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Drive On wrote: »
    Just wondering, have any statistic's (official or otherwise) been published since these things went live that would give an indication of there effectiveness, with respect to "road safety".

Too soon to draw any conclusions regarding the speed/safety camera programme in Ireland, I would think, despite the early claims from AGS.

Speed/safety cameras have had a beneficial effect on road safety (without the double quotes) in other countries, so why not here?

I'll stick my neck out here and risk making an eejit of myself by making this prediction: if it is the case that there is a downward trend in road deaths in 2011, there will be no shortage of sceptics in this forum looking to attribute the decrease to other factors and to discount the role of the increased surveillance. On the other hand, if there is no change or even an increase in road deaths, this will be taken as proof that speed/safety cameras are not only useless but may in fact be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I'll stick my neck out here and risk making an eejit of myself by making this prediction: if it is the case that there is a downward trend in road deaths in 2011, there will be no shortage of sceptics in this forum looking to attribute the decrease to other factors and to discount the role of the increased surveillance. On the other hand, if there is an increase, or no change, in road deaths, this will be taken as proof that speed/safety cameras are not only useless but may in fact be dangerous.
    That's because most people are unable to distinguish between 'I don't like it' and 'It's a bad idea'. Read through any clamping or speed camera thread, they're all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Another one of those piece of sh!t vans just beyond Toughers at Newbridge.

LITERALLY inside a bush, in what looked to have been private property, with just the right window that had the camera visible. The left window was completely blocked by shrubbery.

I'd have loved to have gotten a photo if it was safe but it really wasn't.

Anyone else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Gosafe van on the Malahide rd at Kinsealy 6.30am this morning, flashed the lights and waved to all oncoming traffic. Successful journey to work.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Gosafe van on the Malahide rd at Kinsealy 6.30am this morning, flashed the lights and waved to all oncoming traffic. Successful journey to work.

:D

good man
    i always do
    but i wish more people would

if the safety camera vans function is to get motorists to slow down then it shouldnt matter if other road users alert nearby traffic to reduce speed

Just wait for the Helen Lovejoys to come along and beat you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Helen_Lovejoy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dj kieran

Just passed one a gatso van in 100k zone,he was sitting about 200 meters inside the speed sign,I was doing between 108-110k on my speedo before the speed sign and slowed down just at the sign.can they do you for speeding outside the signs/designated areas?as I know they can get you from 1 Km away and it was on a straight stretch of road.
    Do you have to see a flash to be done?as there was no flash.
    Any help or info will be great.thanks

Wait and see if anything shows up in the post. That's all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

dj kieran wrote: »
    Just passed one a gatso van in 100k zone,he was sitting about 200 meters inside the speed sign,I was doing between 108-110k on my speedo before the speed sign and slowed down just at the sign.can they do you for speeding outside the signs/designated areas?as I know they can get you from 1 Km away and it was on a straight stretch of road.

they have a range of 100m

They can be detected 1km away. They emit Ka band radar which is easily detected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

dj kieran wrote: »

Passed them before in a 100 km/h zone and my speedo was showing 110 km/h. Twice. Never heard from them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

meercat wrote: »
    good man...i always do...but i wish more people would
    We could double the deterrent effect if we flashed and waved at other drivers even when there is no detection van.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

They emit Ka band radar which is easily detected.
    With what ?? i'd presume it's not legal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

We could double the deterrent effect if we flashed and waved at other drivers even when there is no detection van.
    I love doing that,certainly keeps me entertained on the way to work!

bbam wrote: »
    With what ?? i'd presume it's not legal
    No, not legal in Ireland, use at your own risk.

I love doing that,certainly keeps me entertained on the way to work!
    Be careful you don't wear out your headlights doing that. ;)

No, not legal in Ireland, use at your own risk.
    Maybe you could show us an example of something that would work in Ireland but would be illegal so noooooody here would even think of having said item ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Maybe you could show us an example of something that would work in Ireland but would be illegal so noooooody here would even think of having said item ;)

No, don't do that. Don't do anything even similar to that.

-Chris- wrote: »
    No, don't do that. Don't do anything even similar to that.
    Probably best not, and I shouldn't have suggested it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Maybe you could show us an example of something that would work in Ireland ;)

I find the right hand pedal fitted to the floor of my car very effective:
    MTYyMzQwX3A=.png

......... most cars have one! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

They can be detected 1km away. They emit Ka band radar which is easily detected.

K band radar
    and they dont detect you until you are almost on top of them

Advertisement