Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

A big white van and you saw it, what's so invisible about that?

I didnt say it was invisible, I saw it during daylight, if that was parked at dusk it wouldnt be the most visible vehicle. Thanks for your input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

pa990 wrote: »
    K band radar
    and they dont detect you until you are almost on top of them
    But I can detect the van far away. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

But I can detect the van far away. :D
    Only if you see it in time.

Nope. Electronic countermeasures.

Nothing illegal, I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

-Chris- wrote: »
    bbam wrote: »
    Maybe you could show us an example of something that would work in Ireland but would be illegal so noooooody here would even think of having said item ;)

No, don't do that. Don't do anything even similar to that.
    Nothing illegal, I hope.

Please move on from this conversation, speed trap detectors can't be condoned or encouraged as per the Charter, and therefore it's probably a pointless conversation.

Drop it and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

mb1725 wrote: »
    I find the right hand pedal fitted to the floor of my car very effective:
    MTYyMzQwX3A=.png

......... most cars have one! :rolleyes:

Yeah both of our cars have those pedals on the right... but no matter how much I press the car just goes faster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dj kieran

Thanks for the replies.guess I will just have to wait and see what comes in the post?has anyone any ideas how quick the fines come out in the post from go safe vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

dj kieran wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.guess I will just have to wait and see what comes in the post?has anyone any ideas how quick the fines come out in the post from go safe vans?

I would assume at high speed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

About 10 days seems to be the consensus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Vertakill wrote: »
    Another one of those piece of sh!t vans just beyond Toughers at Newbridge.

LITERALLY inside a bush, in what looked to have been private property, with just the right window that had the camera visible. The left window was completely blocked by shrubbery.

I'd have loved to have gotten a photo if it was safe but it really wasn't.

Anyone else see it?

I saw it there 3 weeks ago about 100 metres from Toughers as you head for newbridge.. what is the speed limit there? is it 80kph reduced from 12okph when you come off the motorway? it was the white van. are the white vans the survey ones and the orange ones the speed detection ones or is it a mix of both?

No markings D reg=Garda van detecting offences.
    No markings non D reg=Survey van for go safe, you shouldn't get anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

markings were on it.. like this one here.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1658/hahakjh.jpg

was doing about 55 to 60 kph on the speedo luckily enough. speed limit is 80kph apparently once you leave the roundabout to exit for toughers after the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭younge

I haven't used my car for two months and got caught end of may but want to tax it from June declaring non-use for April and May.. worth the risk? I've become so disillusioned with different taxs and more coming that I'd rather the few quid in my pocket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Seen one on the N2 just before Cherry Picker heading towards Dublin, technically outside the zone displayed here - http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497 , outside by a hairs breadth but it was outside it none the less.

Anyway the location would be much better served with improvements to the cross roads there than a speed camera van.

They have been straying beyond their areas for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

markings were on it.. like this one here.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1658/hahakjh.jpg

was doing about 55 to 60 kph on the speedo luckily enough. speed limit is 80kph apparently once you leave the roundabout to exit for toughers after the motorway.

Yeah they're the vans that are always around that stretch of road now. They're usually just before or just after Toughers on either side of the road.

The limit, I think, is 80kph. About 2 months ago, before that area got littered with vans, I got done by a biker Garda doing about 109kph there.

He said "To be honest, everyone goes up to about 100kph here and I let them go but you were going 109 so I couldn't really let it slide, sorry".

That's all fair enough and I've no problem with speed cameras for the most part - but they're being sneaky sh!ts by hiding in a gateway with a load of shrubbery surrounding the van.

This is the location they've been in most often recently (the long gradual bend just after Toughers if you're leaving Newbridge behind you).

The bushes in and around thate gate have grown a helluva lot since that picture was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Repeating a fallacy ad nauseum does not make it true, you know.

Vertakill wrote: »
    That's all fair enough and I've no problem with speed cameras for the most part - but they're being sneaky sh!ts by hiding in a gateway with a load of shrubbery surrounding the
    Is there a sign showing the speed limit before you get to where the speed trap is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Is there a sign showing the speed limit before you get to where the speed trap is?

I'm not sure - I must check in the morning!

Just to add, the same spot here was being used for another speed van this evening. I noticed it after 5pm.

However... what confused me was this was a plain red, Ford Transit. Not a single marking on it anywhere.

Everyone coming up toward it started to slow down and I was thinking "Sure it's only a red van pulled in!" - luckily I wasn't speeding because when I got up close I could see the camera in the rear right window.

What's the deal with unmarked vans?

Survey van to see if a spot is a fertile hunting ground for the real vans.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Probaly on this thread already but was just wondering if the gatso vans detect you from front and back or is it just the back, was doing 62 or so in 50 zone as I was driving 80metres away from front of van will I be done already have 4 bloody points.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Anan1 wrote: »
    Repeating a fallacy ad nauseum does not make it true, you know.

Denying the truth "ad nauseum" does not make it false either ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

D_murph wrote: »
    Denying the truth "ad nauseum" does not make it false either ;).

Assuming that opinion is "truth" and perception is fact doesn't help us establish the falsity of anything, either.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Anyone any idea if speed camera vans detect you from the front or back or can they detect cars coming from both sides???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Camera van on that 'grey area' of road near Mitchelstown today. It's on the old N73 just after you leave the northbound exit 13 of the M8. That two lane road is definately signposted 80km northwards and 100km southwards. Guess which lane the van was monitoring? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mb1725 wrote: »
    Camera van on that 'grey area' of road near Mitchelstown today. It's on the old N73 just after you leave the northbound exit 13 of the M8. That two lane road is definately signposted 80km northwards and 100km southwards. Guess which lane the van was monitoring? :)

maybe the sign is in the wrong place.

Go back to where it was, and check the coordinates with your sat nav, and report results back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Money van between allenwood and dagwelds atm

Bloody well always there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

toshy321 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if speed camera vans detect you from the front or back or can they detect cars coming from both sides???

safety vans detect you from the rere
    that can be coming towards the van or travelling away from the van
    they can also detect you from the other side of the road(assuming there are no obstructions)

Advertisement