Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Cheers for reply meercat does that mean if your approaching front of the van you mightn't get done as this is my situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

toshy321 wrote: »
    Cheers for reply meercat does that mean if your approaching front of the van you mightn't get done as this is my situation.

if you slowed enough before you reached the back window you are probably ok
    remember how you feel now and flash all on coming vehicles anytime you see a safety van
    hope you were within the speed allocated

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭toshy321

Ye had slowed below speed limit around 60 70 metres before I saw him. Ye I always do flash people neway greatest money robbing scam of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

meercat wrote: »
    if you slowed enough before you reached the back window you are probably ok

Actually, their radar is omnidirectional, they can flag you up at the same distance from the front and rear of the van. If it's set to flag up speeders at 200m away, it'll pick them up 200m in front of the van also. You can stop for a 10 minute tea break before passing the rear window, it'll still send you a fixed penalty in the post if it's flagged you as speeding 200m away.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If it's set to flag up speeders at 200m away, it'll pick them up 200m in front of the van also. You can stop for a 10 minute tea break before passing the rear window, it'll still send you a fixed penalty in the post if it's flagged you as speeding 200m away.
    I wonder how far out it takes the picture. If i'd taken the trouble to stop, i'd probably throw in a U-turn for good measure!

• Advertisement

Was caught by one of these yokes recently.......... 111km/h in a 100km/h zone, was 1.50am, didn't see the van at all tbh :o

The notice was dated the 17June2011 and that's the day it arrived in the post, rapid despatch in fairness to them.

Was at N25, Loughnaderry, Midleton, Cork. Don't even know exactly where that is either.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actually, their radar is omnidirectional, they can flag you up at the same distance from the front and rear of the van. If it's set to flag up speeders at 200m away, it'll pick them up 200m in front of the van also. You can stop for a 10 minute tea break before passing the rear window, it'll still send you a fixed penalty in the post if it's flagged you as speeding 200m away.

No, it can't. The reason for the camera is due to the need for photographic evidence, if you pass the camera below the limit the photo will show you not speeding.

Also, how do you think a front facing standalone radar would know what car is what?

Think things through before believing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

With respect that is utter bull. 200m? Omnidirectional? Only comment on something if you know what your talking about.

MYOB wrote: »
    No, it can't. The reason for the camera is due to the need for photographic evidence, if you pass the camera below the limit the photo will show you not speeding.

Also, how do you think a front facing standalone radar would know what car is what?

Think things through before believing them.

Of course the camera is there for evidence. It proves that you were there. But your speed passing the camera doesn't have to be the same as when the radar picked you up. The camera has nothing to do with speed metering, it's just evidence of the offending car.

A front facing radar knows what car is what the exact same as a rear facing one. The camera has a range of about 10 yards if you've ever seen one of those photos, the camera isn't used to track cars. The radar is completely independent.

Thanks for the patronising line at the end though. Perhaps you should take your own advice?
    ironclaw wrote: »
    With respect that is utter bull. 200m? Omnidirectional? Only comment on something if you know what your talking about.

Omnidirectional as in front and rear (although theoretically it could go anywhere). It's not concerned with what's going on beside it obviously. 200m is speculation, I have no idea what range they actually flag at. They apparently have a range of 1km according to their own press releases, 200m seems plausible enough.

And if people can only comment if they're experts on the subject, this particular thread would be pretty damn empty. I'm only regurgitating what Go-Safe press releases have said. If you have evidence of things being otherwise, educate us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

So what you're saying is that there's a speed detection device pointed out the rear window, and a second speed detection device pointed out the front window, but there's only a camera pointing out the rear?

Did I read that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

I think I may have been tagged doing 90 in an 80 last Friday the 10th on the N3.

I havent gotten anything in post. Have I slipped the net or am i to expect it this week?

-Chris- wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that there's a speed detection device pointed out the rear window, and a second speed detection device pointed out the front window, but there's only a camera pointing out the rear?

Did I read that right?

I didn't say there's two devices, I haven't a clue about the load-out of the vans. All I know is, we're told that it has a theoretical range of 1km and can detect cars coming from both directions, in multiple lanes (subject to the road of course). We know it only has one IR camera at the rear, and can take stills of the rear of cars travelling opposite the van.

It only makes sense for it to have another forward-facing detection device if this is the case. Otherwise they're telling porkies, and it can't reliably catch offenders travelling opposite the van, or else doesn't use its 1km range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They do not have a 1km range. The radar they use can travel 1km but is not usable for detection at that range. Radar receivers can receive their signal at 1km but they will not be able to register a speed at that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This is why I hate the internet because people like yourself dougie-lampkin come on here with pub theory's and state them as if true. I've posted many times on this forum along with other knowledgable people on the subject.

I appreciate its a grey area and everyone has their own theory's, but a little Googling and common sense goes a long way.
    -Chris- wrote: »

Did I read that right?

There is one radar unit Chris. Its beside the camera at the rear of the van. It can measure a vehicles speed coming towards and going away from the rear doors of the van. To my knowledge, It measures one vehicle at a time (I'm waiting for confirmation on that)

There is no radar unit or camera (Except CCTV) on the front (i.e. The cab end) of the van
    I haven't a clue about the load-out of the vans.

Pretty obvious to be honest.
    All I know is, we're told that it has a theoretical range of 1km and can detect cars coming from both directions, in multiple lanes (subject to the road of course). We know it only has one IR camera at the rear, and can take stills of the rear of cars travelling opposite the van.

1km is absolute max. But it would never ever, ever be used. Every tried to take a photo of something at 1km? This combined with radar scatter etc. Its a press release, it has to sound good but not necessarily be anyway useful. Think about it, how often has anyone seen one of these vans on a straight road and had time to see it coming? Most are on windy roads and you only see them when your on top of them.

The van emits a radar beam at about 20 degree's to the central axis of the van. Any speed reading and photo is taken at about 20m (That's Twenty, not two hundred) from the van.

The camera in use is IR and uses IR flash. You cannot see the flash from the van.
    It only makes sense for it to have another forward-facing detection device if this is the case. Otherwise they're telling porkies, and it can't reliably catch offenders travelling opposite the van, or else doesn't use its 1km range.

Why? If the rear unit can measure speed when a car approaches or as it moves away, it wouldn't make sense for it to have one on the front now would it? Please use your head before jumping to such a conclusion. If a vehicle moving towards produces a positive speed reading, a vehicle moving away will result in a negative speed reading, flip the negative sign and your hunky dory. Same goes for Garda laser.

As regards for multiple lanes, two lane roads are ok i.e. One north and one south bound. Multiple lane carriage (i.e. M50) ways are a no-no for bi-directional work. However they can be used against a dual lane carriage way in one direction only, this is due constraints in the width and the possibility of a central median.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There is one radar unit Chris. Its beside the camera at the rear of the van.

That's what I understood alright, I was just checking if Dougie had some information that no one else had heard about... ;)

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    I think I may have been tagged doing 90 in an 80 last Friday the 10th on the N3.

I havent gotten anything in post. Have I slipped the net or am i to expect it this week?

I was nabbed on the 12th and the notice arrived on the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of course the camera is there for evidence. It proves that you were there. But your speed passing the camera doesn't have to be the same as when the radar picked you up. The camera has nothing to do with speed metering, it's just evidence of the offending car.

A front facing radar knows what car is what the exact same as a rear facing one. The camera has a range of about 10 yards if you've ever seen one of those photos, the camera isn't used to track cars. The radar is completely independent.

Thanks for the patronising line at the end though. Perhaps you should take your own advice?

The radar cannot identify for the camera what car is what.

You really, really need to think things through properly. When someone points out somewhere where you're wrong, you should really check what they've said too.

As it is, you now have more than one person pointing out that you're incredibly misinformed on this.

This is why I hate the internet because people like yourself dougie-lampkin come on here with pub theory's and state them as if true. I've posted many times on this forum along with other knowledgable people on the subject.

Not to be trying to pick holes in your post or anything, but anything I've said comes from their own press releases and info. If they choose to embellish these, it's hardly fair to accuse me of spreading "pub theories".
    1km is absolute max. But it would never ever, ever be used. Every tried to take a photo of something at 1km? This combined with radar scatter etc. Its a press release, it has to sound good but not necessarily be anyway useful. Think about it, how often has anyone seen one of these vans on a straight road and had time to see it coming? Most are on windy roads and you only see them when your on top of them.

Actually, I've only seen them on relatively straight roads. I've only seen three, but each time was straight for at least 500m before the van. Hence why I assumed they'd have no bother picking someone up that far out.
    The van emits a radar beam at about 20 degree's to the central axis of the van. Any speed reading and photo is taken at about 20m (That's Twenty, not two hundred) from the van.

The camera in use is IR and uses IR flash. You cannot see the flash from the van.

I was aware of the photo range and IR nature of the camera, but I assumed the photo range was adjustable to match the radar range. Again, assumptions based on their own poorly worded info.
    Why? If the rear unit can measure speed when a car approaches or as it moves away, it wouldn't make sense for it to have one on the front now would it? Please use your head before jumping to such a conclusion. If a vehicle moving towards produces a positive speed reading, a vehicle moving away will result in a negative speed reading, flip the negative sign and your hunky dory. Same goes for Garda laser.

As said, I assumed (as per their info) that readings were taken many hundreds of metres away from the van. And then, it wouldn't be much use metering cars travelling opposite the van many hundreds of metres away, as they'd have seen it, passed it and slowed down. The only way they could reliably catch people then would be to detect cars in both directions simultaneously. Obviously their own info is bullshit, and this isn't the case.

Apologies for assuming that the info Go-Safe has released is to be taken seriously. I'm 100% against these revenue generators, I was simply doing my best to help other posters based on the info to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I know of a way of defeating said vans. If anyone wants to find out PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Gets popcorn. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

They do not have a 1km range. The radar they use can travel 1km but is not usable for detection at that range. Radar receivers can receive their signal at 1km but they will not be able to register a speed at that distance.
    +1. From experience of braking into speed traps, i'd say radar only reads from a couple of hundred metres away max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

any chance to a link to this press statement by gosafe.

cos the whole thing about 1km is utter bull.
    The radar beam is at 22degrees across the road.. the camera points at a similar angle.

The reading and picture is taken at the same time.
    If more than 1 vehicle is in the picture, then that ticket is scrapped.
    the speed reading and picture are taken from the back window of the van, when the offending car is very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

This thread is not making sense, almost all the way through people are saying if you spot the van "its too late" now everyone is saying the reading and photo is only taken 20metres away, which to me would give you a hell of a lot of time to slow down.

From everything I've read through on this it would make more logic that the radar detects your speed (roughly) 200m away and tracks you until the camera identifies you once your in range.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i heard a funny story ,two lads up in donegal were fed up with the camera van always in the same place so they went to a car accessery shop and got the camera vans reg number made up and put them on their own car front and back . off they went up and down the road like the clappers ,it took the guy in the van ages to cop on at what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

cats.life wrote: »
    i heard a funny story ,two lads up in donegal were fed up with the camera van always in the same place so they went to a car accessery shop and got the camera vans reg number made up and put them on their own car front and back . off they went up and down the road like the clappers ,it took the guy in the van ages to cop on at what they were doing.

thats a good one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pippip wrote: »
    This thread is not making sense, almost all the way through people are saying if you spot the van "its too late" now everyone is saying the reading and photo is only taken 20metres away, which to me would give you a hell of a lot of time to slow down.

From everything I've read through on this it would make more logic that the radar detects your speed (roughly) 200m away and tracks you until the camera identifies you once your in range.

your looking a NASA technology for that,DO you want a close up of the hairs and the numbers of them on your face while your at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

pa990 wrote: »
    The reading and picture is taken at the same time.
    If more than 1 vehicle is in the picture, then that ticket is scrapped.

This if true, gives rise to a worrying technical loophole:

Say two cars are bombing along the dual carraigeway side by side at a speed in excess of the legal maximum. The two cars are clocked and photographed, but the ticket is scrapped! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

deandean wrote: »
    This if true, gives rise to a worrying technical loophole:

Say two cars are bombing along the dual carraigeway side by side at a speed in excess of the legal maximum. The two cars are clocked and photographed, but the ticket is scrapped! :D

wheres the loophole ?
    the ticket would never be issued, never posted out.. never processed.. would never get to court.

no loophole.

.... now anyone got a link for that GoSafe press release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

jimmynokia wrote: »
    your looking a NASA technology for that,DO you want a close up of the hairs and the numbers of them on your face while your at it?

That is not NASA tech, nothing too complicated in that system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I seriously doubt that the vans can clock your speed up the road and then track that specific car and photograph it closer to the van (when it might have braked to a legal speed...!!) and then that can be used in evidence, as with multiple cars on the road- it would be very difficult to link that speed 1km away to one car in a pack that might have changed lanes/ slowed down when passing the camera- its not an apache gunship!!!

I always thought that they had to take 2 photos a fraction of a second apart and then determine the distance traveled in that distance then it's a done deal (speed = distance over time) SCIENCE... or is that just the fixed cameras with the markings on the road??

Any thoughts??

Advertisement