Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I seriously doubt that the vans can clock your speed up the road and then track that specific car and photograph it closer to the van (when it might have braked to a legal speed...!!) and then that can be used in evidence, as with multiple cars on the road- it would be very difficult to link that speed 1km away to one car in a pack that might have changed lanes/ slowed down when passing the camera- its not an apache gunship!!!

I always thought that they had to take 2 photos a fraction of a second apart and then determine the distance traveled in that distance then it's a done deal (speed = distance over time) SCIENCE... or is that just the fixed cameras with the markings on the road??

Any thoughts??

The two photo is the fixed ones with lines on the road for measurement, also based on single lane, not multiple like the vans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Met one parked up on the R407 today between M4 and M7.

I always thought you'd have to be pretty stupid to get caught by one driving in the opposite direction. Not so sure now!

Think I might just be alright.

Bloody M4 Toll charged me commercial rates too to top it off! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

pippip wrote: »
    This thread is not making sense, almost all the way through people are saying if you spot the van "its too late" now everyone is saying the reading and photo is only taken 20metres away, which to me would give you a hell of a lot of time to slow down.

I think I should just spell it out to stop any mad theories:

Your car approaches the van
    The speed is read (Instantaneously) at about 20m or so from the van (Whenever your break the radar beam emitted at about 20 degree's from the van)
    If you are over the limit, a picture is immediately taken.

Your car isn't "tracked"
    Your speed isn't read and 200m later (Or whatever) your picture taken. The speed is read and picture taken at the same time. Think about the legality of that and you'll see why it makes sense to read and snap at the same time.

If you see one, in good time (i.e. 150-200m away), you will have time to slow down.
    The two photo is the fixed ones with lines on the road for measurement, also based on single lane, not multiple like the vans

You are correct. The Gatso fixed cameras need the lines on the road to allow the operator to compare the distance travelled. However, this is only a fail safe. The GATSO's have radar as well which is normally used in the prosecution. The double photo plus the time/distance travelled is a fail safe.
    Say two cars are bombing along the dual carraigeway side by side at a speed in excess of the legal maximum. The two cars are clocked and photographed, but the ticket is scrapped!

The ticket will be scrapped. Same goes if the license plate is unclear etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Shadowless

Can you get done from a motorway overpass? Saw some guys in high vis jackets on one of the overpasses this evening coming down the M1.
    Possibly something in their hands or maybe a camera on a tripod although hard to tell as I'd just passed a truck and was making up some time. (ahem)

I'd have to be stopped down the road if it was a hairdryer right?

Definitely didnt see a van anyways but wasn't sure if they can aim those tripods down at the road from the overpass?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Shadowless wrote: »
    Can you get done from a motorway overpass?

Yes,ya can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Can you get done from a motorway overpass? Saw some guys in high vis jackets on one of the overpasses this evening coming down the M1.
    Possibly something in their hands or maybe a camera on a tripod although hard to tell as I'd just passed a truck and was making up some time. (ahem)

Definitely didnt see a van anyways but wasn't sure if they can aim those tripods down at the road from the overpass?

Making up some time... that's my excuse!!!!:D
    As far as I know, the guys with the hairdryer need to stop you there and then as they can not take photos. If you got away, you're good, leave 10 mins earlier next time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The Gardaí operate photo laser traps from the over bridges. They take a nice picture and send you letter in the post. No van needed.

The Gardaí operate photo laser traps from the over bridges. They take a nice picture and send you letter in the post. No van needed.

That's a new one for me, cheers

Anyone know how many of those units are in Ireland? I've only ever seen one and it was a press photo.

They have had those for years.
    polis+malaysia+ngan+speed+trap2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

They have had those for years.
    polis+malaysia+ngan+speed+trap2.jpg

but rarely used anymore
    there was only ever a handful of lti 20-20's bought here

The LTI 20-20 is the speed gun used by most Gardaí. Non camera version.

this is what is behind the door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Are them fixed speed cameras on the m50 working? I've noticed the lines on the road, but I ain't too sure.

Cheers,
    Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Are them fixed speed cameras on the m50 working? I've noticed the lines on the road, but I ain't too sure.

Cheers,
    Anto

The ones between junction 11-13 aren't as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

landyman wrote: »
    The ones between junction 11-13 aren't as far as i know.

Sound.

What about the ones up on near the M1 etc?

pa990 wrote: »
    this is what is behind the door

K band radar unit and a camera. Not much to it really.

The LTI 20-20 is the speed gun used by most Gardaí. Non camera version.

maybe i'm wrong.. but the 20 20 is the massive brick
    the lti ultalyte is the most common gun

they only had cams that worked wit the 20 20, and the 20 20 are few and far between

Cheers,
    Anto

No- none of them are working

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

How much over the speed limit can you typically be before getting fined by a mobile private speed camera van?
    How far off do they record your speed?
    I was doing around 128kph on the M7 when I spotted one of them, it was probably 100 meters away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You can't read back 17 posts and see that some of these questions have been answered?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭dos30

-Chris- wrote: »
    You can't read back 17 posts and see that some of these questions have been answered?

There are 122 pages in this Thread and I tried a lot of different searches before posting in the hope of avoiding a reply like that.
    It did answer my question though, so thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Anyone know whats to stop someone from sending ticket back and saying the person doesn't live there anymore?

The Gardai will call round and check.

Cool! Would like to have a chat with them!

Frankly they should arrest anyone for carrying on like that. What a waste of Garda time. Do the crime, Pay the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

ironclaw wrote: »
    I think I should just spell it out to stop any mad theories:

Your car approaches the van
    The speed is read (Instantaneously) at about 20m or so from the van (Whenever your break the radar beam emitted at about 20 degree's from the van)
    If you are over the limit, a picture is immediately taken.

Your car isn't "tracked"
    Your speed isn't read and 200m later (Or whatever) your picture taken. The speed is read and picture taken at the same time. Think about the legality of that and you'll see why it makes sense to read and snap at the same time.

If you see one, in good time (i.e. 150-200m away), you will have time to slow down.

You are correct. The Gatso fixed cameras need the lines on the road to allow the operator to compare the distance travelled. However, this is only a fail safe. The GATSO's have radar as well which is normally used in the prosecution. The double photo plus the time/distance travelled is a fail safe.

The ticket will be scrapped. Same goes if the license plate is unclear etc etc.

Is the information provided in this post accurate?

If your speed is read 20 metres away from the van then my advice would be to brake and brake hard when you see the van!!

I was quite concerned that I may have been caught about 3 weeks ago. I was doing somewhere between 110 and 117 in a 100 zone. I copped the van and stuck it the road. I assumed that my braking effort was futile but if it only catches you 20 metres away then maybe I was wrong.

To date I have not received any notification, touch wood.

I know the statue of limitations is 6 months in relation to issuing speed fines but in practice how long does it take for them to issue?

ironclaw wrote: »
    Frankly they should arrest anyone for carrying on like that. What a waste of Garda time. Do the crime, Pay the fine.

I can't see the Gardaí being asked to do something like that. Have never seen it myself. Would the address not still remain valid as it the address the registered owner has provided?

cursai wrote: »
    I can't see the Gardaí being asked to do something like that. Have never seen it myself. Would the address not still remain valid as it the address the registered owner has provided?

They do conduct this type of work, like registered letters but with Gardai :) The idea is the letter is sent to the registered owner of the vehicle, however it is reasonable that the registered owner may not have been driving (Wife, son etc borrowing the car) as such the option exists to have the letter sent (And thus the points and fine) to the driver at the time. The idea of this scam (And I use the word scam) is that you send it to a bogus/non existent/foreign driver. Thus wasting their time, the Gardai's time and thus spending ultimately the rest of our taxes on wasting people's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Shane732 wrote: »
    I was doing somewhere between 110 and 117 in a 100
    This is the really important problem, not the possibility of a small fine and a couple of points.

Have you figured out how you made this mistake?

Advertisement