Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Shane732 wrote: »
    Is the information provided in this post accurate?

If your speed is read 20 metres away from the van then my advice would be to brake and brake hard when you see the van!!

Its 20m give or take.Obviously depends on the conditions, roadway etc.

This is a video of how a similar system works (About 30 secs in)

Note:

195 readings per second
    It does not track the car from 1km away :)
    The beam angle (About 20 degree's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLsjMLvRLZ0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Hi guys. Anyone been caught speeding recently along here?
    If so, here is a heads up. My friend got a letter saying he was doing 57kph in a 50kph zone on Church Road Tyrrelstown. €80 fine and 2 points. Church Road Tyrrelstown is 60kph and Church Road Mulhuddart is 50kph.
    Basically the letter said Church Road Tyrrelstown and the van was on Church Road Mulhuddart. He rang up to question it and got off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Oh my valentine......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Shane732 wrote: »
    If your speed is read 20 metres away from the van then my advice would be to brake and brake hard when you see the van!!

I've had to do this once as they were in a completely ridiculous location on a dual carriageway.

This is and will be an accident waiting to happen :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I've had to do this once as they were in a completely ridiculous location on a dual carriageway.
    Was the van was stopped in the middle of the road? Unless you were speeding, I cannot see any other reason for your sudden braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Was the van was stopped in the middle of the road? Unless you were speeding, I cannot see any other reason for your sudden braking.

110 on a dual carriageway.. there is no need to explain, you've seen the ridiculous fines they are giving for going a few km over the limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please start your own thread if you want to discuss the social ills of speeding. I'd like this thread to stay on-topic and be focussed on discussion of the operation & placement of Speed Cameras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Saw one on the Ardlea road in Artane Dublin 5 heading towards the Artane roundabout last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

110 on a dual carriageway.. there is no need to explain, you've seen the ridiculous fines they are giving for going a few km over the limit
    Why do you think the camera was badly placed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I drove past the van in a 100 km/h zone with the needle showing 110 km/h on two occasions and one time in the city (Limerick) going near 60 km/h, got nothing.
    The GF though drove past at over 60 km/h and she was fined.
    That would suggest to me that there is a reasonable tolerance built into the system.
    I often see the van coming from Shannon towards Limerick, just before the Caherdavin exit.
    In the beginning it used to be parked in various locations, but now only see them there.
    At least the problem of speeding just before the Caherdavin exit has been eliminated, but only when the van is parked there.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 achi

Ive seen one on Pembroke rd, Ballsbridge on a number of occasions. Ive no idea what the limit is on that road as I cannot find any speed limit signs. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

i got caught doing 89 in a 100km zone in a lorry even though the lorry is limited to 88. . i have driven past the van in the same place at the same speed several times before and never heard anything:mad:

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    i got caught doing 89 in a 100km zone in a lorry even though the lorry is limited to 88. . i have driven past the van in the same place at the same speed several times before and never heard anything:mad:

You got caught doing 11 km/h under the limit? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

The limit in a truck is 80kph as far as I know on some roads. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Do the speed vans record lorries and trucks that do over 80kph and fine them ?

there s a 80km limit on lorries:mad:

Do the speed vans record lorries and trucks that do over 80kph and fine them ?
    they did with me e80 and2 points

eyebrows63 wrote: »
    there s a 80km limit on lorries:mad:

Ah, didn't consider the lorry bit.
    Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,360 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Man they're really out money grabbing these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

I saw one of these vans on the Carrick on Shannon to Leitrim road at about 5pm today. it didn't prevent the 2 car crash which happened 50 yards up the road from the camera position. the crash looked serious, one car overturned and the second one in the hedge with a lot of air bags gone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I haven't actually. I've never seen one of these speeding 'tickets' and I'm still waiting for someone to post a scan of one showing that the "few km over the limit" perception is actually real and not a myth.

bop1977 wrote: »
    I saw one of these vans on the Carrick on Shannon to Leitrim road at about 5pm today. it didn't prevent the 2 car crash which happened 50 yards up the road from the camera position. the crash looked serious, one car overturned and the second one in the hedge with a lot of air bags gone off.

Probably saw the van, braked hard and took the car behind it by surprise.
    It's a known hazard of speed cameras, so you can say they actually cause crashes, rather than prevent them.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I haven't actually. I've never seen one of these speeding 'tickets' and I'm still waiting for someone to post a scan of one showing that the "few km over the limit" perception is actually real and not a myth.

IMAG0213.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Oh my gog you could have killed us all you were nearly 6mph over the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Tigger wrote: »

There was a line of 6 or 7 cars all going the same speed so I'm guessing there's a nice few pound made in the space of about 10 seconds there. If it was the guards I have no doubt there'd be nothing said about it. I actually saw the van and didn't think there was a need to slow down like.

Tigger wrote: »

Probably saw the van, braked hard and took the car behind it by surprise.
    It's a known hazard of speed cameras, so you can say they actually cause crashes, rather than prevent them.

Some people used to say the earth was flat too. Maybe some still do.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Some people used to say the earth was flat too. Maybe some still do.

People see speedcameras, jam on brakes, this leads to accidents. Unless you can statistically prove that this doesn't happen and those videos are elaborate fakes by the BBC.
    Speedcameras cause accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

People see speedcameras, jam on brakes, this leads to accidents. Unless you can statistically prove that this doesn't happen and those videos are elaborate fakes by the BBC.
    Speedcameras cause accidents.

I wonder what the apologists will say next?

Advertisement