Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

-Chris- wrote: »
    Both

oo right probally varies on county so when they are around:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

When have u ever seen a cop(maybe gosafe) on a 100km/120km road...

Personally, I've only seen one gosafe van on a 60 km/h zone, all the others I've passed (roughly 15-20 that I spotted) were on 100km/h N roads. All pulled in on wide sections of hard shoulder, all inside the marked zones within a few hundred meters of a speed limit sign.

Personally, I've only seen one gosafe van on a 60 km/h zone, all the others I've passed (roughly 15-20 that I spotted) were on 100km/h N roads. All pulled in on wide sections of hard shoulder, all inside the marked zones within a few hundred meters of a speed limit sign.

which part of the country are you?? Munster,leinster??

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I do most of my driving around Munster with a good deal around Limerick city. The stretches of road which are marked as detection zones are generally dangerous stretches. Ok the vans can't pull in on a dangerous bend but are often found just up or down the road from ones on safer parts.

I dont do an enormous amount of driving, but for perspective I've encountered at least 15 Gosafe vans (and 3 or 4 Garda ROBOT vans) since their introduction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

You're either breaking the law or you're not.

The 'revenue stream' argument is totally bogus and a red herring.

Sad but true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

lads can i ask a weird question.

i went past the garda camera van (not go safe) just after a bump bridge and in a 50 zone and my speedo say 56 or something.

but the van didnt let a big flash as i went by... 2 other cars with me and the lads in the other car doing about the same speed and they said they saw the van but no flash !

did they change their van so its a little red laser now ? or were we all just let away ?

cheers lads.. i was driving assuming my speedo was about 10% off anyway !

You're either breaking the law or you're not.

The 'revenue stream' argument is totally bogus and a red herring.
    Give it a break ur always on about the same thing every few posts ,
    everyone knows it a revenue generator as well as a safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

robbie_998 wrote: »

i went past the garda camera van (not go safe) just after a bump bridge and in a 50 zone and my speedo say 56 or something.

but the van didnt let a big flash as i went by... 2 other cars with me and the lads in the other car doing about the same speed and they said they saw the van but no flash !

did they change their van so its a little red laser now ? or were we all just let away ?

I saw someone get flashed by a garda van last week in North Dublin. It was dark at the time. I doubt they flash during the day once light is okay.

pippip wrote: »

I saw someone get flashed by a garda van last week in North Dublin. It was dark at the time. I doubt they flash during the day once light is okay.

I should've mentioned it was complete darkness when it happened.

I just didn't see any flash or either did the lads but I can only assume they didn't rip any of us.

Unless they did change the system to a lil red laser !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

everyone knows it a revenue generator
    Even though it's not, in fact true? Please consider that maybe people who don't like safety cameras use this false argument to avoid accepting the unpleasant truth that they are not above the law?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I just didn't see any flash or either did the lads but I can only assume they didn't rip any of us.

Most of the vans have gone Infrared so you can't see the flash (They flash in all light conditions) There is one or two knocking around that still use the normal flash. But don't take it that you didn't see a flash as being in the clear. At 56km/h though, you were probably under.

Even though it's not, in fact true? Please consider that maybe people who don't like safety cameras use this false argument to avoid accepting the unpleasant truth that they are not above the law?

wasting ur time talking to u cause ur always the same always looking for trouble. anytime anyone say anything about speed cameras making money.

I did not say anything about being above the law.

wasting ur time talking to u cause ur always the same always looking for trouble. anytime anyone say anything about speed cameras making money.
    It is not a waste of time in the to challenge this baseless assertion anywhere it is put forward so that it does not become a 'fact' through repetition.

ironclaw wrote: »

Most of the vans have gone Infrared so you can't see the flash (They flash in all light conditions) There is one or two knocking around that still use the normal flash. But don't take it that you didn't see a flash as being in the clear. At 56km/h though, you were probably under.

Oh... I thought there was only one Garda speed van ? And it was the one that let an almighty flash !

And darn really hoping I didn't get caught

Or get sent a letter saying I was 1km/h over the limit or something !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Just to clarify

It was DEFINITELY an unmarked white van that caught me doing 10km over the speed limit.

Is it my fault that I would be in a bit of a rush to get out of Dublin after a long days work??? Heaven forbid.

I just think it is ridiculous that there are unmarked vans catching people for speeding when the Garda website states it was only the vans with high vis markings.

How would I even go about appealing that speeding fine? How could I prove that the van was unmarked?? Would it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Oh... I thought there was only one Garda speed van ? And it was the one that let an almighty flash !

No there is a few, some older, some newer. Same basic technology but I do know at least two of them have gone to Infrared flash. I don't know how many Garda vans there are, but I've see at least 4 different one's in Dublin alone.
    nice_guy80 wrote: »

I just think it is ridiculous that there are unmarked vans catching people for speeding when the Garda website states it was only the vans with high vis markings.

With respect, your really showing a complete lack of understanding of the current set up which has been well debated here and in the media. GoSafe vans and Garda Vans are completely different in every respect.

In a nushell:
    • GoSafe vans, with markings, can only catch you for speeding in their laid out zones only.
    • GoSafe Vans, without markings, can appear anywhere but cannot catch you for speeding. They are survey vans.
    • Garda Vans - With and Without markings, can catch you anywhere, at any time, in any location for any motoring crime.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ]I just think it is ridiculous that there are unmarked vans catching people for speeding when the Garda website states it was only the vans with high vis markings.
    Unmarked vans are safer as people don't jam on or slow unexpectedly when they see an enforcment operative.

It's absurd that you want to evade responsibility for your own driving because the camera was unmarked. You're really missing the point.

It is not a waste of time in the to challenge this baseless assertion anywhere it is put forward so that it does not become a 'fact' through repetition.
    You provide no proof either in what u say, so we both could be wrong about the revenue part. It is only us saying yes they are or no they are not.

You provide no proof either in what u say, so we both could be wrong about the revenue part. It is only us saying yes they are or no they are not.
    The assertion that has been made by a number of people is that speed cameras 'are revenue raising'. Usually, in a debate, it is customery, and expected that proposers of such assertions provide evidence to back them up. Unusually, in 'Motors', among an element opposed to the operation of anti speeding measures, the absence of evidence to disprove their assertions is taken as meaning they are true.

In normal society, this of course,would be seen instantly for what it is..... pure bunkum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The assertion that has been made by a number of people is that speed cameras 'are revenue raising'. Usually, in a debate, it is customery, and expected that proposers of such assertions provide evidence to back them up. Unusually, in 'Motors', among an element opposed to the operation of anti speeding measures, the absence of evidence to disprove their assertions is taken as meaning they are true.

In normal society, this of course,would be seen instantly for what it is..... pure bunkum.

Well, if they're not revenue raising, why not donate the fines to charity?
    Or maybe use the money to improve the roads and for better driver training?
    None so blind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/speed-camera-upkeep-costs-taxpayers-euro45000-a-day-2927096.html

simply ridiculous

Gardai are spending €45,000 a day -- or €1.35m a month -- just to maintain the country's network of speed cameras, staggering new figures obtained by the Sunday Independent reveal.

As a result, this year the taxpayer will foot a €16.2m bill to maintain the network of cameras across the country.

With €2.2bn in spending cuts needed in next month's Budget, opposition TDs have said the cost is "extraordinarily high" and the Government must seek to reduce the cost to the taxpayer.

In November 2009, gardai put the provision of such cameras out to private tender to tackle the endemic problem of excessive speeding which has been a major factor in road fatalities in Ireland.

It was the first time that a key element of day-to-day policing had been outsourced from the gardai.

Defending the spend this weekend, embattled Justice Minister Alan Shatter said: "The objective of the safety camera network is to reduce the number of speed-related collisions and so save lives and prevent serious injury, not to generate revenue."

According to information released by garda authorities, €2.1m was incurred in "ICT set-up costs" relating to the introduction of the network.

"The figures provided by An Garda Siochana relate to the monthly cost, which is approximately €1.35m," Mr Shatter added.

He said the operating costs of providing the service are offset somewhat by fixed charges and court fines paid by speeding drivers, but these represent only a small proportion of the overall cost.

Fianna Fail justice spokesman Dara Calleary said yesterday that while the cameras certainly are working in preventing road deaths, the costs are extremely high.

"At a time when we need to make cuts of €3.8bn, costs like these are extraordinary. Surely the Government must look at seeking to renegotiate the charges being incurred.

"We must look at how these costs compare internationally. I am to seek a full review of these numbers," he told the Sunday Independent.

Donegal has the highest number of speed camera locations, according to An Garda Siochana and the Road Safety Authority.

Cameras housed in marked vans monitor areas identified as speed-related blackspots. Some 45 mobile cameras will eventually provide more than 6,000 hours of speed checks per month across the State.

Donegal has 63 camera sites in 52 designated zones; Cork has 62 sites in 48 zones; Meath has 52 sites in 30 zones and Dublin has 19 sites in 37 zones. In total, there are 750 camera sites and 518 zones.

Speed cameras operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Analysis of the sites is ongoing and the locations may change over time.

Mr Shatter's predecessor as Justice Minister, Dermot Ahern, signed a five-year €65m contract with the GoSafe consortium to provide the service last November.

In 2001 in Ireland a total of 411 people died on the roads. Increased enforcement of speed regulations helped reduce this to 212 last year. But the RSA and gardai are intent on reducing this still further.

- DANIEL McCONNELL Chief Reporter

so we are both talking pure bunkum, because we have provided no evidence..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bravo for that link.
    The authorities are making a big deal out of E16 million running costs and how concerned they are, you naughty people, stop being so unsafe!
    The fact that they are taking in E40 million out of fines is one fact the government propaganda machine tends to keep very quite about, after all, it's not about the revenue!
    If it ain't, donate the money to starving children you bunch of hypocrites!

The fact that they are taking in E40 million out of fines is one fact the government propaganda machine tends to keep very quite about,
    Oh good! A fact.

Source, please? (Note: a wild guess in 'GombeenNation' is not a fact)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭montytheferret

ironclaw wrote: »

In a nushell:
    • GoSafe vans, with markings, can only catch you for speeding in their laid out zones only.
    • GoSafe Vans, without markings, can appear anywhere but cannot catch you for speeding. They are survey vans.
    • Garda Vans - With and Without markings, can catch you anywhere, at any time, in any location for any motoring crime.

Saw two guards at the side of the road earlier just at the entrance to a housing estate, one with a camera on a tripod..presumably a speed camera.... there was no garda car that i could see anyway, thought this was a bit odd?

My indicated speed was about 65kmph or maybe a bit less, in a 60kmph zone , should i be worried? Dont recall noticing any flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Unmarked Garda van on the way to Shannon from Limerick just after Cratloe this morning..

What's the story with these? Brake lights were on, he could have just been setting up?

P.S I didn't see any flash when I was passing.. do these flash?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭runjb

Just driving out of dublin along the quays tonight. Passed a garda van, parallel with another car and there was a flash. Does that mean we were caught?

I was going max 55km in a 50km zone.. Do they flash automatically or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

runjb wrote: »
    Just driving out of dublin along the quays tonight. Passed a garda van, parallel with another car and there was a flash. Does that mean we were caught?

I was going max 55km in a 50km zone.. Do they flash automatically or?

I feel your pain, flashed in a 30 zone about 5 weeks ago, haven't received anything yet, anyone know if there's a time limit on fixed penalty notices??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

4 months.

Advertisement