Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

u know who i am talking about dont u:D:D:p:p:p

Enough please - back on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

-Chris- wrote: »
    Enough please - back on-topic.

I will.:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Yet again on the N2 near ratoath turnoff southbound, the gatso van is parked halfway across the hard shoulder scanning the 'dangerous drivers' yet this van is parked in a dangerous position. What can be done, I can think of something but it cannot be stated on here.

Saw this a few weeks ago too, and these are controlled by the gardai, this country is getting worse, please, I'm a decent person, get me out of here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'd like to help you out.

Which way did you come in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Yet again on the N2 near ratoath turnoff southbound, the gatso van is parked halfway across the hard shoulder scanning the 'dangerous drivers' yet this van is parked in a dangerous position. What can be done, I can think of something but it cannot be stated on here.

Saw this a few weeks ago too, and these are controlled by the gardai, this country is getting worse, please, I'm a decent person, get me out of here.

Won't stop until a 40 ton artic fails to spot them and there'll be tons of "Woe betide unto me, how could this tragedy ever have happened?!"

• Advertisement

If it is the Guards they can park where ever they want!!. But if it is a Gosafe van thats a different matter you can complain about it to the Guards that is is dangerously parked.:cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If it is the Guards they can park where ever they want!!. But if it is a Gosafe van thats a different matter you can complain about it to the Guards that is is dangerously parked.:cool::cool:
    And you can expect them to do absolutely nothing about it.

And you can expect them to do absolutely nothing about it.

i know!!!! pissing in the wind!!..
    (it is grand till an accident happens then the **** hits the fan)

Assuming you're right (and why wouldn't you be) what'll happen is that there will be a fatal accident caused by the obnoxious/dangerous parking of a Go "Safe" van.

The death(s) will then be used to justify the ongoing location of a speed camera van in that spot.

This will inevitably lead to even more deaths, and then to more self-justification of speed camera vans in an infinite vicious circle.

Will nobody shout stop?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Assuming you're right (and why wouldn't you be) what'll happen is that there will be a fatal accident caused by the obnoxious/dangerous parking of a Go "Safe" van.

The death(s) will then be used to justify the ongoing location of a speed camera van in that spot.

This will inevitably lead to even more deaths, and then to more self-justification of speed camera vans in an infinite vicious circle.

Will nobody shout stop?

It is the Way some of the GoSafe van Drivers Park...i was saying there & it/if been reported to guards and they did nothing till it caused a crash, then there would be questions asked.. Why was he not told to park safely/properly?? besides parking arseways..

• Advertisement

It is the Way some of the GoSafe van Drivers Park...i was saying there & it/if been reported to guards and they did nothing till it caused a crash, then there would be questions asked.. Why was he not told to park safely/properly?? besides parking arseways..
    They probably have a God complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Shown a letter today from a Garda van for an offense. It was clearly marked 61km/h in a 50km/h section. Also included a picture of the plate.

If people have concrete data either first hand or third party, could they throw it up? Would answer the question of tolerance pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

tolerances were reduced back before xmas

10km for robot vans
    5km for gosafe (not 100% on this though, so it might still be 8km for gosafe) ..

ironclaw wrote: »
    Shown a letter today from a Garda van for an offense. It was clearly marked 61km/h in a 50km/h section. Also included a picture of the plate.

If people have concrete data either first hand or third party, could they throw it up? Would answer the question of tolerance pretty quick.

how did you know it was a garda van and not a private van, both notices have the garda crest on them.

Garda Vans can park wherever the hell they want, they have a bright white flash. The one that stung me was plain white, maybe a small crest.

GoSafe vans have a invisible to the naked eye infrared camera.

pa990 wrote: »
    how did you know it was a garda van and not a private van, both notices have the garda crest on them.

It was a mate who got done and I happened to be driving the road the same day, so I checked the DVR. It was a Garda van. It was the Ford Transit, white flash and all the trimmings of the Garda van. It's also on a road thats not designated GoSafe.

In case anyone is interested, it was on the Upper Dargle (Bray). Never seen them before or since. And the arrow is not on the location, I couldn't pin point it.

Map: http://g.co/maps/3ez7u

But your right, the notice doesn't differentiate between the two.

all the fines/offences go to the one place which is in templemore. then they (guards) look up the reg and send out the Fine...

all the fines/offences go to the one place which is in templemore. then they (guards) look up the reg and send out the Fine...
    Thurles you mean.

Thurles you mean.
    ya tnx sorry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

tolerances were reduced back before xmas

10km for robot vans
    5km for gosafe (not 100% on this though, so it might still be 8km for gosafe) ..

5km, even 8km is barely noticeable on a speedometer, even less so on speedos showing mph.

The sneaky shiits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

5km, even 8km is barely noticeable on a speedometer, even less so on speedos showing mph.
    True, its easy to inadvertantly slip over the limit, for example, as the gradiant changes. I find the digital speed display on my Garmin Nuvi is very helpful, especially as the car's speedo is originally in mph. Another advantage is that if I miss a speed limit sign, I can check the current limit.

The sneaky shiits.

Your speedo will be over reading by about 3 to 5km/h anyway. So if your 5km/h over in true speed, your speedo will be showing almost 10km/h or more over. Its not sneaky, in fact to be fair, its actually pretty fair.

[QUOTE no comment [/QUOTE]

The roads are excellent in the uk. we would be lucky to have motorways like that..here

xJLlH6GgmfU

Forty thousand people killed on Europe's roads in the previous year, according to that news report. Over 13,000 of those deaths attributed to speeding, it says.

Comment superfluous, perhaps?

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Forty thousand people killed on Europe's roads in the previous year, according to that news report. Over 13,000 of those deaths attributed to speeding, it says.

Comment superfluous, perhaps?

I wonder if they mean speeding or inappropriate speed...

I see what you mean about circular, repetitive discussions! :D

Bingo!

The whole thread's a bit Groundhog Day tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

-Chris- wrote: »
    The whole thread's a bit Groundhog Day tbh.
    That's because stronger measures are needed. Current deterrants are not working.

Instant driving bans should be applied for speeding offences, then re-training followed by long periods of supervision/monitoring once the license has been restored.

Safety of innocent citizens should be the highest priority.

Once drivers realise the serious consequences for themselves when they put others at risk, then we'll see some real progress.

Time to take off the kid gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

That's a bit totalitarian, but I guess if that idea was brought into operation it would seriously reduce congestion but also the tax/fine take so the government would be out of pocket and therefore unhappy. :P

Roads would be lovely and empty though.

Advertisement