Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

cisk wrote: »
    Gosafe dont have a flash, they use infared. So you wont see anything.

Garda gatso vans can operate wherever they like, i got snapped on a road not on the garda website. They have a bright white flash, i believe it is triggered when they detect you going over the limit, it triggers the flash so the picture can be taken. So its not going off all the time.

So if youve seen a flash then it sounds like bad news for you.

Yep, bad news for me! ****! No point arguing that the van wasn't marked and it wasn't on a road marked on the garda.ie maps then no? Just have to take ones medicine?

Yep, bad news for me! ****! No point arguing that the van wasn't marked and it wasn't on a road marked on the garda.ie maps then no? Just have to take ones medicine?

You may get lucky on hear no more of it. I wasnt sure of what it was until i got the letter.

1030pm on a Sunday night on a nice long stretch of road. Easy pickings for their quotas. 50kph roads are easiest to catch people out.

cisk wrote: »
    You may get lucky on hear no more of it. I wasnt sure of what it was until i got the letter.

1030pm on a Sunday night on a nice long stretch of road. Easy pickings for their quotas. 50kph roads are easiest to catch people out.

Hope so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

are any of the regular old guys still here or read this anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just read the link in the first post. Its answers the above and pretty much every other question that comes here. Which reminds me I have to update it. I don't claim to be an expert, there are people here far more knowledgable than me, but it absolutely pains me to read the last page and see a lot of what I've said regurgitated in a chaotic post with buzzwords like "gatso" and "infrared" just thrown in to make it sound authoritative.

Its mostly correct, with respect, its obvious you have no idea what your really talking about. GATSO is never referred in a van. You mean ROBOT Van which is the Garda technology. GoSafe used RedFlex technology. Similar but lightyears in the difference.
    rhs window

Yeah, sounds like the Garda one alright. But its fairly obvious if its a flash from the van as its frankly downright dangerous. Still if you were below the limit, it could have been the reflection from your headlights. If you were over, most likely a flash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ironclaw wrote: »

Yeah, sounds like the Garda one alright. But its fairly obvious if its a flash from the van as its frankly downright dangerous. Still if you were below the limit, it could have been the reflection from your headlights. If you were over, most likely a flash.

This was a dark coloured van. It did have the speed camera sign on the back door though. As i said in an earlier post, the flash was like someone inside was using a personal camera, it was a just a small flash.

This was a dark coloured van. It did have the speed camera sign on the back door though. As i said in an earlier post, the flash was like someone inside was using a personal camera, it was a just a small flash.

Well in that case it sounds like a GoSafe van. The only way to know is if it was in a GoSafe designated area. If it was outside a designated area, it could have been a GoSafe survey van.

Either way, you won't see a flash from a GoSafe van. The flash unit is to the top left hand corner, outside the van and its IR, so you won't see it. The flash you saw was most likely your headlights on the camera, which is behind the RHS rear door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Well in that case it sounds like a GoSafe van. The only way to know is if it was in a GoSafe designated area. If it was outside a designated area, it could have been a GoSafe survey van.

Either way, you won't see a flash from a GoSafe van. The flash unit is to the top left hand corner, outside the van and its IR, so you won't see it. The flash you saw was most likely your headlights on the camera, which is behind the RHS rear door.

Yeah, it was in a designated area and I've seen them there before that's why I was extra careful to make sure I was under 50. What you say about the headlights on the camera makes sense. Hopefully you're right!

GoSafe Survey Van:

Irish-speed-camera-van-300.jpg

GoSafe Normal Van:

0701_Speed-Van_H_786622t.jpg

Even from both pictures you can see how the camera in the window reflects (Right Handside). By the way if the van you saw was a Transit and D reg, chances are it was a Garda van. Anything else, more than likely GoSafe.

Note: The IR flash to the top left, above the roof level of the van.

GoSafe Survey Van:

Irish-speed-camera-van-300.jpg

GoSafe Normal Van:

0701_Speed-Van_H_786622t.jpg

Even from both pictures you can see how the camera in the window reflects (Right Handside). By the way if the van you saw was a Transit and D reg, chances are it was a Garda van. Anything else, more than likely GoSafe.

Note: The IR flash to the top left, above the roof level of the van.

I saw a flash from what appeared to be a Gosafe van earlier. Does that mean it was a definitely a Gatso with no markings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Blazer wrote: »
    Caught again in Kildimo village in Limerick by traffic corp I'd say.
    Another 2 points.. was caught again about 2 years previously..
    Bunch of fúckers really going for easy catches as it's a 50kph zone about 800 yards outside the village which is a complete joke:mad:

Most likely to have been a Traffic Corps tripod set up here: http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=kildimo&hl=en&ll=52.622588,-8.806846&spn=0.002726,0.006968&hnear=Kildimo+New,+County+Limerick&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=52.622635,-8.807072&panoid=B64WjeYvDTvdKy8NKResYQ&cbp=12,268.7,,0,0.07

Seen them there a few times. They also adore the section of the N69 from the N7/Dock Road to Mungret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Garda ROBOT van in knockcroghery roscommon today never seen one before had to stop on the way home for a closer look as I thought it might be a survey van.

I spotted it and was doing exactly the speed limit guy came zooming up behind in a Ford Galaxy going nuts swerving in and out to overtake, tried to pass me on the level crossing then passed on the ghost island, on the corner, up the blind hill - reminds you what the cameras are for.

I saw a flash from what appeared to be a Gosafe van earlier. Does that mean it was a definitely a Gatso ROBOT with no markings?

"Appeared" is too subjective. If you are blind as a result of the flash, then it was probably a ROBOT Garda van. You would certainly know if a Garda van flashed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Does the speed detection vans check for road tax?

Just wondering as my car is out of tax a week and I must drive in to tax office to get it taxed, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

AntiRip wrote: »
    Does the speed detection vans check for road tax?

Just wondering as my car is out of tax a week and I must drive in to tax office to get it taxed, thanks.

No, but a garda car with the ANPR camera on the back will. You should have a months grace anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is there anything resembling a map/list of locations to short list the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You should have a months grace anyway.
    No such thing.

Google Maybe?

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=5590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Speed limit compliance vans move from place to place, especially important as people just learn their locations and do their speeding elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

No such thing.

close enough though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Speed limit compliance vans move from place to place, especially important as people just learn their locations and do their speeding elsewhere.

really ??

they seem to only use the same locations over and over again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

mikeecho wrote: »
    really ??they seem to only use the same locations over and over again
    If you're right, this might explain why 78% of drivers still break speed limits...as they're obviously not catching all the law-breakers and bringing them to justice.

Give it a rest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If you're right, this might explain why 78% of drivers still break speed limits...as they're obviously not catching all the law-breakers and bringing them to justice.

This man has been brought to justice by Batman after going 1 km/h over the speedlimit!

hanniballecter.jpg

Nope, driving from Crusheen to Limerick every morning, I know I can put the foot down till just before the Caherdavin exit, where some days a camera van sits.
    I sometimes observe a metal box beside the road where the vans are usually located, is this some kind of power point?
    This could limit the locations where these vans could be deployed, or maybe shorten the time they are deployed outside of locations with power points.
    And so far have not been wheeled away in shackles, Hannibal Lecter style.
    The end of speeding will not come through cameras, but sky high fuel prices, no one will be able to drive above 80 km/h anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I've a pal in the NRA and they are or at least were, responsible for those metal boxes you see chained to a pole, where there are 2 black strips nailed across the road running to and from the box.

These are for speed data gathering, and can differentiate between car and HGV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've had enough.

Cyclopath2001 banned from this thread for Soapboxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭mikeecho

mikeecho wrote: »
    really ??they seem to only use the same locations over and over again

The static grey gatso's had a habit of staying in the same locations for years on end, yet they still managed to catch people speeding.
    (and subsequently prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law)

understand how the gatso's kept catching people and you'll understand how the mobile cameras catch people by using the same locations over and over and over again

Edit.. Just noticed that cyclo has just been banned, so we will be deprived of his response :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 veedubdubh

Are the mobile speed camera vans capable of measuring speeds while the van itself is being driven?

I passed a van today on the N11 which was being driven, presumably to its next static location, along the inside lane of the dual carriageway/motorway.

There was a longish queue, about 10 cars behind it none of which were prepared to pass although it was travelling at 100km/hr in what is a 120km/hr location.

I passed wondering why everyone else was taking their time only to see the van just as I passed it. :eek:

So are these vans just for speed detection from static locations or should we be watching out for them on the move also along with marked and unmarked garda cars?

Are the mobile speed camera vans capable of measuring speeds while the van itself is being driven?
    NO!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's the same reason people brake down to 40 km/h when they see a speed camera, even though they're in a 100 km/h zone.

Advertisement