Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I am 95% certain that I was 'snapped' by a road-side van earlier this afternoon. However, I thought all of these vans had to have markings like the one shown in this post here?
    This was a plain white van. I had PLENTY of time to look at it - as I was going through a 50km zone - and the flash stopped me in my tracks!

The stretch of road is part of those designated stretches that have speed camera road signs on them.

However, is this a regular gatso van - or a survey van??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I am 95% certain that I was 'snapped' by a road-side van earlier this afternoon. However, I thought all of these vans had to have markings like the one shown in this post here?
    This was a plain white van. I had PLENTY of time to look at it - as I was going through a 50km zone - and the flash stopped me in my tracks!

The stretch of road is part of those designated stretches that have speed camera road signs on them.

However, is this a regular gatso van - or a survey van??

you just answered your own question

jameshayes wrote: »
    you just answered your own question
    Ok - so they don't have to have any markings on them whatsoever? Been doing that 80 mile roundtrip of a commute for 9 years now - all the other vans have been marked GATSO's..... (an never had a Gatso ticket).

Any possibility he was covering the other side of the road (drivers on the opposite side moving away from him)

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Ok - so they don't have to have any markings on them whatsoever? Been doing that 80 mile roundtrip of a commute for 9 years now - all the other vans have been marked GATSO's..... (an never had a Gatso ticket).

Any possibility he was covering the other side of the road (drivers on the opposite side moving away from him)

The Garda van used periodically in Waterford Has "Garda" written on the Bonnet in the regular blue letters. No other markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The GO SAFE vans do have to have markings, if its a GO SAFE van and has no markings it is just a survey van. The Gardai however also have Gatso vans and they don't require markings although I have seen some with small Garda and speed camera stickers on them.

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    The GO SAFE vans do have to have markings, if its a GO SAFE van and has no markings it is just a survey van. The Gardai however also have Gatso vans and they don't require markings although I have seen some with small Garda and speed camera stickers on them.
    Thanks for the clarification.

This van 'flashed'. Was just looking it up - and others saying elsewhere that none of the vans in ireland flash...that the cameras are infra-red - so not necessary. What (if anything..) can I read into that?

I didn't stop and go back to see if any 'garda' sign on the bonnet - but I suppose it's possible. Just nothing on the back/side.

Am I right in saying that the zones designated on the map of the road network that was produced last year was for 'go safe' only? Is it likely that a Garda run Gatso would run within these stretches??

I passed a van last year in the middle of the night - and I just saw a blinking red light in the back. I wondered at the time if I had been 'done' - but apparently not..

Its a Garda van, can operate anywhere they wish.

I got nabbed by one, plain white, could of had markings on the bonnet but i was traveling away from the rear of the van.

Bright white flash in my rear view mirror, notice in the post the week after.

cisk wrote: »
    i was traveling away from the rear of the van.
    Bright white flash in my rear view mirror, notice in the post the week after.
    Was the van on the same side of the road as you?

No, it was on the opposite side up on a grass verge, there was a car driving towards it, i would say the flash must of blinder the poor fella because it was quite severe in my mirror.

cisk wrote: »
    No, it was on the opposite side up on a grass verge, there was a car driving towards it, i would say the flash must of blinder the poor fella because it was quite severe in my mirror.

hmmm.....maybe there's some hope for me yet! I was far enough away from it when it flashed that I had time to slow down and look closely at the back/side panel of the van. I'm totally oblivious as to what cars were on the opposite side (not to mention, what speed they were doing)...

Meh....I guess I will find out in a week to ten days (assuming that's the norm)?

• Advertisement

That would be the norm, but they have up to 6 months i believe to issue it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭mikeecho

does anyone read back a page or two ??

181pages and every question has been asked and answered a hundred times

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68478118&postcount=1

mikeecho wrote: »
    does anyone read back a page or two ??

181pages and every question has been asked and answered a hundred times

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68478118&postcount=1
    With all due respect, that thread is so long - how many hours will I need to go through it to get from start to finish? I did check that particular post - and the first post in the link within that post (in fact, I link to it myself in my original poster here) - but I didn't seem to be getting specific facts relevant to my specific situation.

Again, can anyone confirm - if speedvan is on the same side as you - with the camera/back of the van facing me (as an oncoming vehicle), it's possible its monitoring me - and not necessarily the folks approaching the front of the van - and passing by it on the opposite side of the road (as was cisks exerperience)?

The GoSafe vans use this technology,
    http://video.dailytelegraph.com.au/1540636885/High-tech-speed-cameras

and can monitor vehicles on multiple lanes in both directions at the same time.

The Garda Vans use "ROBOT Multanova" radar units and have similar capabilities

..and can monitor vehicles on multiple lanes in both directions at the same time...The Garda Vans use "ROBOT Multanova" radar units and have similar capabilities
    How close to them would one expect to be when the flash goes off? The one hope I'm clinging to - is that it was someone on the other side of the road that got it....as I 'seemed' to be quite a distance away...although bit fuzzy on that - only for the fact that I had time to examine the back of the van closely, see the lens (or similar) pointing out of the back of it - and check back/side of the van for markings. But then, in a 50 zone, all of this would be possible I would imagine!!

One Final Question

If it was a 'survey' van, is it still possible there would have been a 'flash'? (or would there simply be no need for this?

..and can monitor vehicles on multiple lanes in both directions at the same time...The Garda Vans use "ROBOT Multanova" radar units and have similar capabilities
    How close to them would one expect to be when the flash goes off? The one hope I'm clinging to - is that it was someone on the other side of the road that got it....as I 'seemed' to be quite a distance away...although bit fuzzy on that - only for the fact that I had time to examine the back of the van closely, see the lens (or similar) pointing out of the back of it - and check back/side of the van for markings. But then, in a 50 zone, all of this would be possible I would imagine!!

One Final Question

If it was a 'survey' van, is it still possible there would have been a 'flash'? (or would there simply be no need for this?

1. Radar beam is at approx 22degrees across the road from the rear window.. So it has a range of approx 3 car lengths on a two Lane road.

2. Only garda vans give a visible flash, all Gosafe vans have an infrared flash that is invisible to the naked eye.

1. Radar beam is at approx 22degrees across the road from the rear window.. So it has a range of approx 3 car lengths on a two Lane road.
    Maybe there's some hope then - as I must surely have been further away than this! I can' imagine having had so much time to examine the van immediately following the 'flash' - on my approach to it and as I passed it.
    2. Only garda vans give a visible flash, all Gosafe vans have an infrared flash that is invisible to the naked eye.
    So if it was a Garda van - could they be doing a survey - or would there simply be no need for a 'flash' for survey work??

So if it was a Garda van - could they be doing a survey -.......

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I see all the Leinster Boys are Inn Commenting:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

anyone see the white transits sitting around now ?

the exact same as the garda vans but this time no writing or markings whatso ever !

robbie_998 wrote: »

the exact same as the garda vans but this time no writing or markings whatso ever !

Survey vans ? .. they've been quiet lately, i suppose there is only so much data you can collect.

Garda Vans.. well i did spot the ROBOT van in cork city center today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

They are the exact same, because they are Garda vans. The Garda vans have magnetic stickers, they just pick and choose when to put them on. To my knowledge GoSafe have no Ford vehicles, they are all Renault. Something to do with a FF Party / TD member who had the dealership in Kerry. Got that from the rumor mill so its probably false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is there a chance they are just white transit vans parked on the side of the road and have nothing to do with checking speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Is there a chance they are just white transit vans parked on the side of the road and have nothing to do with checking speed?

could clearly see the big camera in the back of it and the round thing on top of the van.

seemed to be set up properly at the side of the road too to get speeds.

didnt flash for me now or anything cos i wasnt speeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Came over the new bridge in Galway tonight and parked on an island was a Garda traffic car, sitting in the passenger seat was a Garda with a small round camera pointed up the bridge to catch cars speeding, the window was closed and I was wondering was this a camera or a gun to record your speed and if over the limit he would get out and stop you, I presume this is what it was could it have been a speed camera that takes a photo, it was handheld

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Came over the new bridge in Galway tonight and parked on an island was a Garda traffic car, sitting in the passenger seat was a Garda with a small round camera pointed up the bridge to catch cars speeding, the window was closed and I was wondering was this a camera or a gun to record your speed and if over the limit he would get out and stop you, I presume this is what it was could it have been a speed camera that takes a photo, it was handheld

Last time I saw that was 3-4 years ago or more.

Just coincidence that there was a speed check on the "New" Bridge a couple of days before the rally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Storm 10 wrote: »

No, what you probably saw was an Ultralyte:

LTILR100.jpg

It doesn't take photos and cannot be used through the glass of a window (Reflection, Refraction of the laser etc) In fact if it was used through a window you'd have a very good defense in court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Only the vans or the grey box Gatso's take photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Only the vans or the grey box Gatso's take photos.

Or the tripod camera gardai

Advertisement