Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3051.jpg

...Was he aware he was parked on private property - No, but that An Garda Síochána had assigned him this location.

He should have told you to stop making up stuff -- he is clearly not on private property! The area between the road surface and the gate and fence/wall is as public as property gets!

It's even not very far in gateway. Overall compared to some of the shocking photos posted before, it's good positioning (off the road etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

This genuinely happened to a guy I know a couple of months ago. He was travelling on the N7 in a 100km zone. He saw the speed van, checked his speed, wasn't even doing 90km, got flashed. He was piSsed off,knew he wasn't speeding, decided to turn around and drive past again,drove even slower, flashed again. Same guy is fairly firey, decided to pull up and question why he got flashed when he was well below the speed limit. Spoke to the guy in van,was very irate saying its a scam,money making etc.... Van guy turned to him and said you weren't wearing a seat belt, twice!!!!! He ended up getting 4 penalty points and a fine. He is still like a b*ll*x over it, couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!!!!

How would an automated camera see if you've a seatbelt on?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

opti0nal wrote: »
    Well, that might just be you. Do you own a property with an exit onto a road where people speed?

yes i do, just outside ross, not a main road but people speed on it constantly with never ever a sign of garda or speed van presence, but i still would have anyone parking on my property without my consent no matter who they are or what they are doing! Would you let people just come in on your property and do what they want without your consent??

Why is it that secondary roads where deaths have occured are never monitered? there was a death crash from speeding just a few hundred yards down the road from my house a few years ago, and i know plenty of places where dangerous driving and speeding is a common thing and most of the reason is because everyone knows they will never be caught for speeding there. And in actuall fact they are alot more dangerous than most spots on main roads as they are narrower, bad road surface etc. Why is no thought ever given to these areas?

Not legally parked then.

Well from what i can see in the picture it looks as if the picture was takin inside of the hard shoulder markings, the person overtaking is probably one of those people that think they need 2 car spaces between them and the car they overtake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

germanator wrote:
    Why is it that secondary roads where deaths have occured are never monitered? there was a death crash from speeding just a few hundred yards down the road from my house a few years
    Because some people give won't let them park and do their job? If they had to get permission all the time, that would defeat the object as the owner would probably tell all his mates where the speed trap was. The whole point is to detect people whose 'normal' driving style is unacceptable.

But sure parking on peoples property on main roads doesnt seem to bother them so why would parking on someones property on secondary roads cause them much of a problem??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭opti0nal

germanator wrote: »
    But sure parking on peoples property on main roads doesnt seem to bother them so why would parking on someones property on secondary roads cause them much of a problem??
    I've seen camera vans on secondary roads here in Dublin, maybe you just need to ask them to cover your area too?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Think I got a flash today, but unsure. I was coming into Dublin around Lucan via the M4, I had already reduced speed from 120 to 80 well ahead (as I'm new to driving and very paranoid about cameras), and this was just where the speed drops again to 60, near Palmerstown. Was a plain white transit van, not marked as far as I can remember. Very annoyed by it. I was in the left-most lane actually being overtaken by other cars, so i'm very annoyed that I could have been the one flashed! :(

if you were being overtakin by other cars then mabey its them that were being flashed!!

germanator wrote: »
    if you were being overtakin by other cars then mabey its them that were being flashed!!
    That's what I'm hoping for! A Range Rover overtook me in the 3rd (right-most) lane at a much faster speed, I didn't see a flash for that though. There was a car in the middle lane a little behind me at the same speed. Spoke to a relation in the Traffic Corps and he think I probably did get done, there are "unmarked" vans now apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

AltAccount wrote: »
    How would an automated camera see if you've a seatbelt on?
    The GoSafe's aren't automated, they're occcupied. They don't only do you for speeding. I know of people who have been flashed for being in a bus lane. I know of people who have been flashed because their reg plate was illegal or stuck in their windscreen.

• Advertisement

Johntegr wrote: »
    The GoSafe's aren't automated, they're occcupied. They don't only do you for speeding. I know of people who have been flashed for being in a bus lane. I know of people who have been flashed because their reg plate was illegal or stuck in their windscreen.
    I presume if/when I get the letter in the post, it'll tell me what it was for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Proxy wrote: »
    I presume if/when I get the letter in the post, it'll tell me what it was for?
    If it works the same as if you're caught by AGS, it'll state time, date, offence and the penalty that offence carries.

I've never been caught by a GoSafe but I'd presume that's how it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Driving home on the m50 last night I think I got flashes but my sat nav says my max speed was 100kmh and that was further down the road !

Nothing else around me except a truck behind me so I'm hoping it was that.....

I should mention flash came from behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Driving home on the m50 last night I think I got flashes but my sat nav says my max speed was 100kmh and that was further down the road !

Nothing else around me except a truck behind me so I'm hoping it was that.....

Where on the m50? North bound or south bound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Southbound before blanch .

Not breaking any laws :/

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaDon

Driving back to Dublin this evening on the M8, passed a garda car on the side, was doing just below 140 according to the sat nav...
    I was trying to overtake a car as quick as possible as there was a car up my backside trying to get passed.
    As I passed I had slowed to ~125, and he still had the radar pointing up the motorway.

My question is can I expect a letter in the post or do Gardai with radar guns have to physically stop you? Could he have been just checking tax etc..?
    Is it only vans and fixed cameras that send notification by post?

Thanks in advance!

DaDon wrote: »
    Driving back to Dublin this evening on the M8, passed a garda car on the side, was doing just below 140 according to the sat nav...
    I was trying to overtake a car as quick as possible as there was a car up my backside trying to get passed.
    As I passed I had slowed to ~125, and he still had the radar pointing up the motorway.

My question is can I expect a letter in the post or do Gardai with radar guns have to physically stop you? Could he have been just checking tax etc..?

Thanks in advance!
    My Garda relation told me, you'll get one by post.

You just reminded me - my Tax disc is out of date, but i've actually paid up and haven't received the new disc yet. I have the receipt in my glovebox. They'd hardly be able to pick up the tax disc there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

DaDon wrote: »
    As I passed I had slowed to ~125, and he still had the radar LASER pointing up the motorway.

Thanks in advance!

With respect you were well and truly over, so you should have been pulled. However, all is fair in love and war, and sometimes it can happen we go over. Overtaking is no excuse so don't try and rationalize your speed in that regard.

However, for the record (And the 100 Million-th time) 99% of Garda operating the laser traps will pull you there and then. They DO NOT take photos. There DOES exist a system for taking photos with a laser gun HOWEVER MOST laser traps in Ireland DO NOT utilize it. It DOES exist however and it SOMETIMES is in use. I personally have never seen one but they are within the force.

So you seeing as you were not pulled, I'd say you have 90% chance of getting nothing.

I can categorically say they were not doing tax etc. Thats done by the ANPR in the car. They normally just rest up on the hard shoulder if they are doing that rather than doing speed. And the ANPR cannot do speed or photos etc, before someone asks.

And guys, please read the link in the first post on this thread. We've answered this countless times by now.

They'd hardly be able to pick up the tax disc there?

I hope I'm misreading this, but are you suggesting the Garda can wirelessly detect a tax disk? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

They don't only do you for speeding.

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DaDon

My Garda relation told me, you'll get one by post.

You just reminded me - my Tax disc is out of date, but i've actually paid up and haven't received the new disc yet. I have the receipt in my glovebox. They'd hardly be able to pick up the tax disc there?

Ah well... :(
    I'd heard that they have to have a tripod to send one by post as they need a pic of your reg.

I think most garda cars have a computer with a database to check registrations and tell if the tax is payed for that one or not.

Thanks for the other replies, hopefully won't hear anything of it but as was said, I was well and truly over...

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that?

Garda Van: Yes (Very rarely)

e.g. They did people for bus lane usage on the N11 by UCD.

GoSafe: Absolutely Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

ironclaw wrote: »

GoSafe: Absolutely Not.

That's what I thought aswell, I should of quoted the full post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Southbound before blanch .

Not breaking any laws :/

I doubt it was anything, travel it all the time and still have never seen a van. I'd guess it was someone flashing someone else behind you, has tricked me numerous times.

If they ever do decide to enforce the m50 speed limits i reckon they will need to do a media campaign before hand to warn people or their system will overload :p

The GoSafe's aren't automated, they're occcupied..............

They can be occupied or unoccupied.

ironclaw wrote:
    I hope I'm misreading this, but are you suggesting the Garda can wirelessly detect a tax disk?

No, I'm asking if the cameras can pick up the tax disc or are they just looking for the regplate. I agree it's a leap but I just didn't know; as mentioned I'm new to driving.

No, I'm asking if the cameras can pick up the tax disc or are they just looking for the regplate. I agree it's a leap but I just didn't know; as mentioned I'm new to driving.

They new system, called ANPR, is built into the Traffic Corp Garda cars. It reads the plate and process's the data. Brings up any anomalies regarding Tax, Insurance, Drivers etc. The often do it on the Naas road. They park a car on the hard shoulder, and radio ahead and your pulled in further down the road.

To my knowledge, no stationary Garda van has ANPR abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've seen it a couple of times in this thread recently where someone says "according to my sat nav I was doing......". Do people not read their speedometers anymore? Surely they're more accurate than a device that can only locate you to within 10-20 metres or whatever?

Speedometers over read by a bit by design :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I've seen it a couple of times in this thread recently where someone says "according to my sat nav I was doing......". Do people not read their speedometers anymore? Surely they're more accurate than a device that can only locate you to within 10-20 metres or whatever?

Satnav is more accurate than 10m and yes they are a lot more accurate than a speedo, generally

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

My speedo over reads by about 4-5%

Also, saw my first example of ANPR at work about 6 months ago. Unmarked red new model Mondeo with camera in front/back slowly moves up beside me in traffic. Car in front's reg plate comes into view and about 10 seconds later Mondeo has his blues and twos on and blocks in car in front of me.

Advertisement