Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Medication Treatments?

Options
  • 13-10-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience on medical treatments for stammering? I have been doing alot of research lately and know about pagoclone testing but there are other alternatives out there with some recorded results using zyprexa and anti anxiety meds like xanax.

Id be interested to hear anybody's views regarding possible treatments. If you dont like the drugs route fair enough but I'd really like to hear about some experiences to further my research before I can actually think about it or talk to my doctor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I have no experience with medication to help anxiety or a stammer. I wouldn't take it as I would fear I may become dependant on it. I would be concerned that after a while it might stop working? I seen a video of someone who used the speech easy device, at first they had lots of fluent moments but after a while it did nothing for them and their stammer returned to normal. I know medication is different but it could have the same effect over a period of time.
    You're right to do research first, speak to your GP and hopefully someone on here has tried it and you can get their experience.
    Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Xanax can be good to give you a relaxed state of mind and might help with pre speech nerves but it is also very addicitive and the body resists the dose after three to four weeks.

But it is an interesting question, there may very well be in the years to come the elusive fluency pill! Until then, we've just got to keep on plugging away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Medication for stammering is a BAD idea! you have to accept your stammer and learn strategies to help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I stutter when I am insecure and nervous. I was told by a speech therapist when I was 15 that there was 99% probability that there was nothing physically wrong with me, that the stutter was just that I was introverted and shy in a world that expects extroverted display.

So, I would advise someone with a stutter to first off try to increase their sense of self worth and self-confidence. It worked for me and only rarely do I stutter and it's getting less and less as time has gone on. Medicalisation of everything (now they're considering 'picky eating' as a disorder for heaven's sake!) is a bad idea and it needs to be countered with more fundamental holistic therapies that actually solve the root causes.

Take it easy.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I'm very surprised a speech therapist would say that. I'm not shy or introverted and I stammer. I know people who stammer and have lots of confidence. Then there are people who are extremely shy and don't stammer.
    There has been lots of research done on stammering and there's a gene they found that may contribute to stammering. They have a long way to go before they discover the cause, if they ever do!
    I'm glad that you have less disfluent moments but one trick or technique unfortunately doesn't work for everyone, I wish it did but doesn't. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement