Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canyon 2011 Bikes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

i see they have the ultimate cf with dura ace now speced the same as the one i built :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Looks like they've upgraded the Roadlite 6.0, previously it was all 105, now the front and rear derailleurs are Ultegra although the shifters and brakes remain at 105.

They also now seem to have a new Roadlite model, the 5.0 for €899 which is all SRAM Apex.

Are these one of the few manufacturers who this year are keeping the prices static but improving rather than reducing the spec of some of the components ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Yeah, the only thing that strikes me as a bit odd about the Roadlite 5.0 is that it has 48-34 chainrings. The 6.0 looks like very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Looks like they've upgraded the Roadlite 6.0, previously it was all 105, now the front and rear derailleurs are Ultegra although the shifters and brakes remain at 105.

They also now seem to have a new Roadlite model, the 5.0 for €899 which is all SRAM Apex.

Are these one of the few manufacturers who this year are keeping the prices static but improving rather than reducing the spec of some of the components ?

They seem to have gone for cheaper wheels though.

I thought they were the same, last years were also aksiums on the 6.0 ?

• Advertisement

I thought they were the same, last years were also aksiums on the 6.0 ?

You could be right regarding the RoadLite 6.0. I'd previously just scimmed over your post.

Generally looking over '11 range, the wheels seem to be cheaper. One example that I can recall is that the Ultimate CF 9.0 '10 came with Ksyrium SLs whereas the 9.0 '11 comes with Ksyrium Elites.

Those models were out of my price range so never really took much notice of the finer details of them so it's probably the case.

The claimed weights of their carbon frames are now heavier :eek: Having said that, the change left if ones pockets would now be heavier also :)

[HTML]
    <table border="1">
    <tr>
    <th>MODEL</th>
    <th>2010</th>

<th>2011</th>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>CF SLX</td>
    <td>890g €1799</td>
    <td>910g €1699</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>CF</td>
    <td>920g €1499</td>
    <td>960g €1299</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>AL</td>
    <td>1260g €799</td>
    <td>1260g €799</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>Roadlite</td>
    <td>1390g €499</td>
    <td>1390g €499</td>
    </tr>
    </table>[/HTML]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryan0380

Are canyons only available to buy direct from their website or do bike shops stock them? have seen a few on the road but never in bike shops

ryan0380 wrote: »
    Are canyons only available to buy direct from their website or do bike shops stock them? have seen a few on the road but never in bike shops

Directly from their website only, AFAIK. Given the success of their TDF promo' there could be a few popping up on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Frame wise is there much difference between the roadlite and the ultimate al?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

i had a roadlite frame on order from them,i had paid 299 for it in the outlet on there site.i was going to build it with either a veloce group set or apex from sram,then yesterday i got an email to say that the 2011 range was out.with the apex groupset and Mavic Aksium wheels on the 5.0 there is know way i could have built the bike myself with the same spec..shipped its 954,you have to pay an extra 15 euro for some fancy shipping bike box.

They sell the box big time don't they, although shipping is cheaper to here than what it is to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryan0380

Anybody buy from them using the cycle to work scheme and how did it work with payment. My employers issue a cheque for up to a 1000 but if I wAnted to buy a bike for over that what happens

i had a roadlite frame on order from them

Did you build it? If so, what do you make of it?

Anybody buy from them using the cycle to work scheme and how did it work with payment.

Don't know. I'd be interested to find out though..
    My employers issue a cheque for up to a 1000 but if I wAnted to buy a bike for over that what happens

You would have to make up the difference.

at the price they are selling the bikes at i can see why..i just had a look on shiny bikes there, and with putting campag voloce on the frame i ordered,it would have been 400 shipped,then the wheels from crc are 200.thats before i even buy bars,bar tape,tyers,tubes,seat..if i went with apex from shiny it would have been 490 shipped..

i have to much time on my hands eh:D..

Lemag wrote: »
    Did you build it? If so, what do you make of it?
    no,it was ment to be shipped,sorry i should have been more clear in my post.i stopped the order and went with the 5.0..i had hopped to build a bike for the first time,but it would have cost me more..

no,it was ment to be shipped,sorry i should have been more clear in my post.i stopped the order and went with the 5.0..i had hopped to build a bike for the first time,but it would have cost me more..

Nice timing then. Let us know what you think of it once you've taken it out. I'm thinking of going for the 6.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

ryan0380 wrote:
    Anybody buy from them using the cycle to work scheme and how did it work with payment. My employers issue a cheque for up to a 1000 but if I wAnted to buy a bike for over that what happens

The process is the same regardless of where/who you buy your bike from. It all comes down to how accommodating your employer is willing to be. According to the rules of the scheme your employer is the one who must purchase the bike (i.e. you can't buy it yourself and then claim back the tax relief) so if your employer is willing to pay for a bike costing more than 1,000 and have you pay them back then you are fine and that is acceptable within the scheme. My employer is willing to do that but I gather that some employers put a limit of 1,000 on what they are willing to pay out for the bike (plus bits and pieces). Some employers also impose restrictions on where/from whom you can buy the bike but again that varies from one employer to another.

So, if your employer is willing to buy from Canyon and pay for a bike costing more than 1,000 then that is acceptable within the scheme. But your employer can decide that they are unwilling to buy from Canyon and/or limit the purchase cost to a max of 1,000 and the scheme permits them to take that stance too. Best you can do is to ask your employer what they are willing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Surely you can make two seperate payments for the same bike. Your employer pays 1000 and you pay the extra. Canyon send out the bike when they get both payments. I've done this before when buying a drumkit from Germany.

Surely you can make two seperate payments for the same bike. Your employer pays 1000 and you pay the extra. Canyon send out the bike when they get both payments. I've done this before when buying a drumkit from Germany.
    i'm sure you can do it this way alright.try ringing them would be my advice,i rang to change my order and they where more then helpfull..

As far as I understand it, the scheme does not allow two payments to be made for the bike from two different sources. The entire purchase cost has to be made by your employer - at least, that is my reading of this page and I believe my employer has the same understanding based on their research into the scheme. Of course, your employer paying the full cost and you paying them back really amounts to the same thing, but as it is not to the letter of the scheme (as I understand it) many employers will almost certainly not be willing to work it that way. Some employers may be more "flexible" than others though.

I'm looking at the Roadlite 5.0 and I'm thinking
    Only €899. Sweet!!
    but then I'd rather Shimano so just €100 extra gets me a mix of 105 and Ultegra on the 6.0 which brings the buy up to €999. No problem. The thought then occurs to me
    sure why not have a look at the 7.0?
    Full Ultregra plus an upgrade to my favourite saddle for €200. Now at €1199. I'm sold! Although..
    it'd be a shame to head to the checkout without seeing what is so interesting about the Ultimate AL
    I take a look. Only €300 more gets me an upgrade from Askiums to Ksyrium Equips, a fancier seatpost, and an Ultimate AL frame.. surely this is worth it. Only problem now is that I'm back with the Compag components.. so I decide to stretch just a little further. For just a snip extra at €100 the 9.0 gets me back to the Ultrgra. I'm feeling pretty happy with this but sure
    For a laugh, why not just take a look at the Ultimate AL 9.0 SL?
    I'd go from Equips to Elites (surely worth the €200 alone), and I'd have the SRAM Force gruppo and this has me thinkin... I'm now at €1799. How the **** did I get to that from €899? It'd only be a winter trainer after all and the BTW scheme would only cover about €300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Lemag, just buy the 5.0 and swapsie the shifters and rear mech with the Ultegra ones on my cross bike. Then I'll have SRAM on everything and you shall have Shimano.

On which subject, Canyon are missing a cyclocross frame.

I'm looking at the Roadlite 5.0 and I'm thinking but then I'd rather Shimano so just €100 extra gets me a mix of 105 and Ultegra on the 6.0 which brings the buy up to €999. No problem. The thought then occurs to me Full Ultregra plus an upgrade to my favourite saddle for €200. Now at €1199. I'm sold! Although.. I take a look. Only €300 more gets me an upgrade from Askiums to Ksyrium Equips, a fancier seatpost, and an Ultimate AL frame.. surely this is worth it. Only problem now is that I'm back with the Compag components.. so I decide to stretch just a little further. For just a snip extra at €100 the 9.0 gets me back to the Ultrgra. I'm feeling pretty happy with this but sure I'd go from Equips to Elites (surely worth the €200 alone), and I'd have the SRAM Force gruppo and this has me thinkin... I'm now at €1799. How the **** did I get to that from €899? It'd only be a winter trainer after all and the BTW scheme would only cover about €300.
    its very easy to get sucked in alright,i was near doing the same thing myself.its like the wallmart episode of southpark when the prices are just to bloody good:)..

@Lemag, welcome to my world ! Originally had a low enough budget of around €800. I was pointed towards a Roadlite 6.0 triple in my size by a boardsie on the outlet store for a few quid cheaper than the standard double. I had my details filled in but then made the mistake of consulting my wife before hitting buy. As she's on extended maternity leave she talked financial sense into me in to waiting until she's back in work but it didn't stop me checking to see if the bike was there every day until one sad they it was sold to someone else.

I'm sort of glad now though as the new 6.0 is slightly better spec'd so it'll be the new year before one comes my way. Now it's all down to choosing between black and white and compact or double !

Lumen wrote: »
    @Lemag, just buy the 5.0 and swapsie the shifters and rear mech with the Ultegra ones on my cross bike. Then I'll have SRAM on everything and you shall have Shimano.

That could work. Which Ultegra are they and what's their condition?
    I was pointed towards a Roadlite 6.0 triple in my size by a boardsie on the outlet store
    I had my details filled in but then made the mistake of consulting my wife before hitting buy. As she's on extended maternity leave she talked financial sense into me in to waiting until she's back in work but it didn't stop me checking to see if the bike was there every day until one sad they it was sold to someone else
    By any chance, does she have any very expensive handbag(s) or pair(s) of shoes that could be of equal practical use to a bike? If so, do they save on petrol costs? The shoes might, I guess.
    I'm sort of glad now though as the new 6.0 is slightly better spec'd so it'll be the new year before one comes my way.
    She is a very sensible woman after all :D
    Now it's all down to choosing between black and white and compact or double !
    Definitely Black.

That could work. Which Ultegra are they and what's their condition?

Not sure. They came new on a Planet-X Uncle John in Sept 2009. I'll try and get some proper pics tonight and PM you, in the meantime this is all I have.

• Advertisement

Not sure. They came new on a Planet-X Uncle John in Sept 2009. I'll try and get some proper pics tonight and PM you, in the meantime this is all I have.

That link doesn't seem to work for me. Not sure if this'd be a factor for you but the Roadlite 5.0 aint available for another 4 weeks.

By any chance, does she have any very expensive handbag(s) or pair(s) of shoes........

An extremely large amount, so much so she has a storage section for her shoes built into the attic, it's like a giant walk in wardrobe up there.

I was thinking black too but there's something about white bikes I like too.

An extremely large amount, so much so she has a storage section for her shoes built into the attic, it's like a giant walk in wardrobe up there.
    Remember that* and use it when the time comes to buy a full carbon ;)*may result in divorce proceedings being threatened or even followed through with.

I was thinking black too but there's something about white bikes I like too.
    Besides the effort that goes into keeping the white nice and shiney I really don't like that they have their website in big lettering on their white frames.

im not sure if you can change the colour on the 5.0.

im not sure if you can change the colour on the 5.0.

You can select white after you've popped it into your basket.

Re their black frames, I have a carbon fibre one and the finish on it is an acquired taste (not entirely to my taste but it doesn't bother me as mostly I'm just looking at my front hub while on the bike and wondering why it is turning so slowly!). I've not seen another carbon fibre frame that looks like it. It is a matt finish and in places the overlapping layers of carbon are clearly visible - it's not the hash effect/finish of some types of carbon, these layers are more like a solid colour (various shades of black). The pictures on their website don't really show it very clearly, from memory, or at least the real thing didn't quite match up to what I expected based on looking at the site. I wouldn't go so far as to call it ugly, but it ain't pretty either. Some people seem to like it though. If you are not considering a carbon frame then this info is probably irrelevant though.

By the way, don't forget to have a look at the outlet store on their website as they have various offers available there. Check the specs carefully though as although the name of a bike in the outlet store may match that of one in their current product range, the spec (and year) may differ, even down to the frame and fork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

doozerie wrote: »
    As far as I understand it, the scheme does not allow two payments to be made for the bike from two different sources. The entire purchase cost has to be made by your employer - at least, that is my reading of this page and I believe my employer has the same understanding based on their research into the scheme. Of course, your employer paying the full cost and you paying them back really amounts to the same thing, but as it is not to the letter of the scheme (as I understand it) many employers will almost certainly not be willing to work it that way. Some employers may be more "flexible" than others though.

I bought a bike for more than €1,000 under the scheme. My employer paid the €1,000 to the shop and I paid the rest. Come to think of it though, the invoice from the shop to my employer was for €1,000, so the shop may have been stretching the terms of the scheme. That's what I get for pontificating in the other thread!

Re their black frames, I have a carbon fibre one and the finish on it is an acquired taste (not entirely to my taste but it doesn't bother me as mostly I'm just looking at my front hub while on the bike and wondering why it is turning so slowly!). I've not seen another carbon fibre frame that looks like it. It is a matt finish and in places the overlapping layers of carbon are clearly visible - it's not the hash effect/finish of some types of carbon, these layers are more like a solid colour (various shades of black).

Like this?

Lumen wrote:
    Like this?

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm not sure if it's growing on me but I certainly didn't twitch when I looked at that photo.

Yes, that's exactly it. I'm not sure if it's growing on me but I certainly didn't twitch when I looked at that photo.
    my cube is the same,i think it happens on a lot of bike more so in darker paint..

my cube is the same,i think it happens on a lot of bike more so in darker paint..

It's the modern equivalent of a this sort of thing. Looks much better than 90s-style cosmetic weave IMO.

• Advertisement

It's the modern equivalent of a this sort of thing. Looks much better than 90s-style cosmetic weave IMO.
    ..but I wouldn't fancy riding one of those :D

@Lumen, Nice wooden joint there. I think the Canyon frame just shows up where the layers of carbon "sheet" overlap, as that pattern crops up all over the frame rather than just at joints. It's a little different around where the front mech attaches, as that looks more like "conventional" carbon weave far as I can recall.

@fran oconnor, The Canyon isn't actually painted (other than a clearcoat top layer), I believe the black colour is the actual colour of the carbon itself.

does anybody know what canyon are like for there delivery times,they have the bikes down for delivery on week 45 i think,that would mean that the bike could be shipped anywhere from the 8th of november to the 12th..im just wondering if anyone else has had there bike shipped on time??.

When I ordered mine I think it was marked as due in stock 2 weeks later. I ordered on a Friday and expected to wait two weeks to hear anything further but in fact they shipped it the following Monday (a week before their estimated date for it being in stock) and I think it arrived on either the Wednesday or the Friday of the same week. I ordered a stock/standard bike, with no alterations (such as stem length, etc.) which probably helped make the processing of the order faster.

When I ordered mine I think it was marked as due in stock 2 weeks later. I ordered on a Friday and expected to wait two weeks to hear anything further but in fact they shipped it the following Monday (a week before their estimated date for it being in stock) and I think it arrived on either the Wednesday or the Friday of the same week. I ordered a stock/standard bike, with no alterations (such as stem length, etc.) which probably helped make the processing of the order faster.

Mine was just a frameset and was ordered during their TDF special so I'd imagine things were pretty hectic for them. IIRC it was listed as in stock when I ordered it. I think that I received it about a week later.

cheers lads,i hope mine lands here without any hassle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

What are peoples experiences of the bike fit system? On the mtbs it's pencilling me in for medium despite being 185cm...

There was another thread about Canyon sometime ago (may even be early in this one) where someone who had bought a road bike was initially unsure of the recommended sizing from their calculator but said trust it as it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Waiting on my roadlite frame from Canyon - They give you a UPS tracking detail reference when it's shipped that you can check online.

Mine left their factory at Midnight last Thursday, then made it to Ireland in a breakneck 30 hours - and has been with UPS in Dublin ever since.....:rolleyes:

I was a little nervous about the fit that their online calculator suggested for me (for a road bike). I thought I'd need a smaller frame and a longer stem than their system recommended. In practice though I've found their suggested fit to be very good, certainly far better than what I had adjusted my existing bike to over the years.

There is probably some irony in the fact that of my existing bikes, my badly built (shoddy frame builders!) battered and unloved commute bike which I use and abuse almost every day has a fit that various online calculators suggest is about right for me, whereas my "good" road bike that I fawned over for so long was way out by comparison. I guess that casually tweaking my commuter a little here and there over the years made all the difference, whereas my "good" bike wasn't used much by comparison and so I didn't play with my position on it much. The Canyon was very close to my commute bike in terms of position.

So, Canyon's calculator worked well for me, for a road bike. I am 170cm and my Canyon is a 52cm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement