Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AZbox HD Premium plus twin (2xsat channel)

• 13-10-2010 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭

Anyone know any bricks and mortar shops in Ireland which sell this model? Southern Satellite in the UK are selling them for about E420. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

hi

i know saor tv and satworld.ie do azbox from ireland. i had premium version and would recommend staying away from them unless it is specifically for 4:2:2 feeds. for that 449 you mentioned you could pick up a vu+ duo from above retailers --- 100000% better!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

thanks Chris. I briefly looked at the VU+ duo but didnt see mention of blind search anywhere, including the guide list in what satellite... which is why I was going for the azbox. It seemed to tick all the boxes including good media playback. Im trying to get away from those damned laser burners for live recording/playing. I know the azbox firmare is still evolving so I assumed any niggles would be sorted out over time. Is the state of the firmware the reason you wouldnt touch it or what would your reasons be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I'd really think twice about buying an AZBox ever again as the software is complete gack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭irishchris

yes primarily the support as the hardware is not that bad. but opensat is absolutely attrocious support and have been making false promises since the start. 2 years nearly now and still no decent support and also the enigma port which had been talked about has not developed fully. i gave it more time and more time and more time but nothing happened just new unfulfilled promises by opensat. really was an attrocious receiver in every way for me. for 4:2:2 feeds and blindscan is ok but performance/epg/reliabilty ........ not good. i took rather a big loss on it to get shot of it and spent that money and a chance on what is now been hailed as one of the best -- the vu. just my advice mate would be get a vu {and a cheap technomate if you want blindscan}. dont regret later like i did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

New e2 firmware due out today for Azbox. Should have sd & hd fta channels working and a media player.

Also they said they've been testing the driver for the premium + and ultra tuner and it will be out around the same time.

Others have been trying to get a multi boot setup where both e2 & original firmware could be selected at startup. Not 100% on how far they've got.

All info from satpimps.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    New e2 firmware due out today for Azbox. Should have sd & hd fta channels working and a media player.

Also they said they've been testing the driver for the premium + and ultra tuner and it will be out around the same time.

Others have been trying to get a multi boot setup where both e2 & original firmware could be selected at startup. Not 100% on how far they've got.

All info from satpimps.com

Yup.. it's looking rosey for us Azbox pioneers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

carbsy wrote: »
    Yup.. it's looking rosey for us Azbox pioneers. ;)

So how did it go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

I haven't tried it yet as I've a premium + & the tuner driver isn't finished yet.

All reports seem to give it the thumbs up, they've got a working stable version with sd & hd channels ok and scanning ok after a bit of messing with settings. No diseqc or dual tuner support for the moment.

Cccam is up & running but internal card reader not supported yet.

People have started loading Dm800 stuff including a media player of some sort which with a bit of tweaking should work well.

4.2.2 feeds are ok, don't know about blind scan.

All in all if a full stable port of e2 is available for the Azbox it will be the best all rounder on the market, especially for feeds and media playback.

I hope the internal hardware is up to it, but its looking good so far, no thanks to Opensat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

I agree, it should rock. :) It's not even in beta stage yet but alpha so many many improvements on the way and the tream behind it seem extremely dedicated so happy days. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

Thanks all. I plumped for the VU+ duo instead. I was looking at the AZ box based on a review in What Satellite magazine. Its amazing how you read these reviews (for azbox and one of the technomates) where they say it is the best thing since sliced bread and then you go on to the forums and find out that people have been waiting 2 years for source code to be released so people can finally start making the receivers do what it originally said on the tin. I had a look at the thread about the new azbox community image but as it has only started and was progressing slowly, I went instead for something that worked out of the box. As I am still on fixed dish without any subscription cards, the vu+duo worksw fine for me, even with the factory image, quite apart from the number of improved community images out there which I dont need to try yet. At least I can record again. So far with transcend external HD and also Transcend USB stick. Then stuck them into the computer where the recordings were instantly recognised and played by MPlayer. I also stuck an SD card into a card reader and checked to see if it could be recognised as a hard disk. No go, but I was able to use timeshift after I had this card plugged in. I will have to make enquiries about that. At least I can now consign that crappy Samsung DVD recorder (via laser) to the bin and record from satellite again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement