Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random Photo thread discussion

• 12-10-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭

Just on the closing of 'the previous' Random thread and the opening of this new one.

On the last Random thread the 'last' photo post was from a very first time poster to the thread -Little Alex.

He had been referred on to the Random thread as he had stumbled upon the 'Slow Speed Photo' Challenge

Then the thread just shuts--what a welcome

There is no message to say that a new one will be re-opened & there is no link to the new thread.

I don't think there is any way of knowing when a Random thread will 'shut'.

I think there should be system whereby the last 10 posts to any Random thread are carried over to the next one.

And a message and link to the new thread??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Moved this into it's own thread, as the Random Photo thread is not the place for discussion.

We are now on the 24th incarnation of the Random Thread. The way these have operated, long before I was a Mod, is that when they get larger then they are closed and a new one is opened. This is normally sometime after about eighty pages. This is how it has been decreed in the Gospel of Exposure 12 vs12:19 in the Book of Blessed Light.

I closed the last thread and opened the new one. There seems to be a spate of posts late at night, so when I saw it was about that time I waited until it was the wee hours of the morning before changing. The last thread is being held in the Stickies for a short while so it is visible. This is noted in the OP of the new thread.

If people want things done differently then suggestions are welcome.

tl/dr This is the way the Random Thread has been managed for a long time now but can change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If memory serves me correctly, there was some discussion around the random thread by the moderators a little while back and resulting from this, the last two random threads(?) were stickied for about 7-10 days after they were closed for this very reason - gave them prominance, and time for everyone who is regular to find the last entries.

I'm not aware that the last poster in question has had any ill feeling as a result of the thread being closed - i'm unaware of any query being raised but I can assure them there is nothing personal with the random thread being closed. This is normal and if they care to revert over the past 24 random threads they will bear it out.

There is probably a larger question to be considered whether here or elsewhere and that is should the random thread be closed after 1000 posts which is the marker - depending on whats happening on the forum, it can run for a while, but that's generally when you can normally expect it.

Technically, it doesn't need to but one reason for continuing to close the thread and advance to a new one is, it can help to draw attention to a rule change if there are any. If that could be gotten around then I don't see much point in closing them at all. It is only hassle for the moderators closing one and setting up a new one. The major reason as far as I am aware that it is closed and reopened is because it has always been done like that which is probably the worst reason in the world to continue to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That member may well have just left as soon as they came in, after the thread was closed abruptly [it might seem so to them] right after his post. It means his images might not get seen by near as many, as some members will not bother to look after a lock and move straight onto the new thread. I thought similar to keps, just didn't bother saying.

I had only dropped an image in that thread too and it was getting thumbs up, I'll never make that top 10 this way!!! :D:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I've often wondered why it's closed at all and not just left as a sticky at the top. Is there a limit to the number of pages on this board?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Having a "last 10" warning might lead to a slow up in posting though. A bit like the "top of trhe page" phenomenon where each page gets slow when it looks like it's getting to the last.

Would it be possible to simply cut and paste the last page of the ending thread to the first page of the starting thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Promac wrote: »
    Is there a limit to the number of pages on this board?

None that i'm aware of.

In that case I reckon just leave a single Random thread stickied at the top of the page for ever more.

I thought it was split because of a limit too. If there isn't one, above suggestion would get my vote. You can still narrow the thread down to certain user's posts within if you need to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If we are just to keep it open as one big thread, there is no reason to have it as a Sticky as it's rarely off the front page anyway. The idea of a Sticky is to keep something prominent that will not get m/any replies.

If we are then to have one big thread, then maybe we should go back and merge all the old threads together so they are in the one place.

The main reason I can see for not doing this is that people change their settings on the hsting sites and links get broken. If we have one mega thread then the early pages will be a lot of empty posts.

I always thought stickies were for the convenience of finding popular or important threads.

And the earlier posts in the earlier threads will be just as empty - they're just harder to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'm against too many stickies and did the random thread not used to end after 1000 replies?

There's already a sticky for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

the system has worked grand, the fact that its still stickied for few days helps the changeover from one to the other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

What is a stickie?

Just thinking of common courtesy.

Would it be possible at the closure of a Random Thread to say

'Sorry folks -this thread has now been closed due to ( 1000 posts or whatever)

A new thread has been opened and here is the link

The last 10 posts from this thread have been carried over to the new thread.

Kind Regards'

Mod

keps wrote: »
    What is a stickie?

A Sticky is a thread which is Stuck at the top of the forum. At present we have six in the main forum. These are Charter, FAQ, OOF, Services, Camera Purchases and Random XXIII.

I have done a bit of poking about. If we combined all the Random Threads there would be 27,297 posts up the the end of XXIII. That would be a thread with 1820 pages.

The longest thread so far was III which had 1686 posts.

Most of the links, even in the early threads, are still valid.

Interesting that in the early days the size limit was 700 pixels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Very easy solution here, when a Mod locks the previous thread, the Last post should always be a mod note stating it's closed and a link to the new one.

If someone posted their pic on the last page, there is absoulutely no reason they can't post it again on page one of the new thread.

There is no need to sticky the thread before or after it's closed.

There are already enough stickys

Looking back there used to be a Mod Note when it was closed in the past. This has just fallen out of use, but no reason why we can't do it again.

Simples.

CabanSail wrote: »
    Simples.

^ This ^

:D

Still don't see any reason why you can't just leave the one thread at the top and save all the hassle - you'd only have to do it once and that's it done.

Meh, just rambling now - not my decision anyway.

• Advertisement

It was already answered, twice I believe

Tallon wrote: »
    It was already answered, twice I believe

Not really, no and was that a bit of aggression there?

The mods seem to want a better solution than even more work involving the random thread.

In fact, AnCatDubh said:
    It is only hassle for the moderators closing one and setting up a new one. The major reason as far as I am aware that it is closed and reopened is because it has always been done like that which is probably the worst reason in the world to continue to do something.

A "Very easy solution" is to just leave the one thread open.

Promac wrote: »
    Not really, no and was that a bit of aggression there?

Yes it was, and no, didn't mean anything by it

Tallon wrote: »
    Yes it was, and no, didn't mean anything by it

I remember you putting a pic up on a new thread after your pic was in near last in previous thread. I did laugh...but it was an easy and good idea.

Cheeky monkey.

I wonder did that new poster think that he broke the thread, that'd be funny. His pic broke the internet : )).

He hasn't been back since. That might be saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Or he was just a very random poster who didn't post very much here anyway and so it could be a while before he comes around again.

Edit: Oh and Frank, hehe, Tallon aggressive- that's hilarious! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one big thread can just get unwieldy. there's a lot of talk about a relatively minor issue, if you ask me.

since it was my idea in the first place, my opinion wins.

result.

Or he was just a very random poster who didn't post very much here anyway and so it could be a while before he comes around again.

We can assume away, but it could be part of the reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if that's enough to drive him away, he wouldn't have lasted long anyway.

• Advertisement

Early escape? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We can assume away, but it could be part of the reason.

I only had time to check back as far as June. Between then and his post in the last Random Thread he had no other posts in the photography forum so I'll stick with him being a very random visitor to this forum.

Oh right, why do we even care then? I thought he'd introduced himself and said he was going to hang around?

Anyone with a wee bit of cop on would know to check see if there's a new thread, or some other reason why it was locked. I'm sure he didn't think his image was that bad!? :D

But as suggested - wouldn't it be nice and polite just to
    have the mod who is locking the thread to put a standard
    'here's one I've prepared already'
    type sentence to say

This Randon thread is closing because..... .

A New thread is now opened and here is the link____

simples:)

Is this thread going to end like this or will a mod come back and say what the final view is?

Is this thread going to end like this or will a mod come back and say what the final view is?

It's going to end like this.

• Advertisement

It's going to end like this.

That's fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Given the rather undue amount of concern here shown over an non-issue, perhaps this should be the appropriate ending.....

http://www.sadtrombone.com/

Or just get me to have a rant? ... no?

• Advertisement

I think that we will keep the Random Thread going the way it has been, but will make sure to make a Mod Post when closing it.

Advertisement