Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More bogus clothing collections

Options
  • 13-10-2010 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Got a leaflet in the door at 5.30am which woke the dog up thinking we were being burgled, and she woke the house and our neighbours up. Some crowd called 'Clothing the World' - yet another bogus scam no doubt especially as it's a Meath landline, mobile number and non-existent URL on their leaflet.

Does anyone actually leave clothes out for these people, or do people just use the normal charity shops/clothing recycling bins in the recycling areas? Seems to me to be a cheap way for companies who make cleaning rags to get their hands on some free raw materials. I'll stand to be corrected if anyone tells me their legit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Ah yeah got one in around 6 am too, I usually put the stickers on my recycling bin, have a nice collection now. Actually the one that came this morning didn't even have a phone number on it, just some long winded code on the bottom, not even a registered charity number.

I'd only use the clothing bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Charity shops are in desperate need of donations. Since the 'R' began donations are way down with the possible threat of closures for well renound charity shops. Support your local charity shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Someone told me recently that these collections where they just send stickers through the door are bogus, but the ones where they put a bag through, like CPI, are legit?

Is this true or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Got a leaflet through the door at approx 6.30am for the "Third World clothing apppeal" with no phone number just a hotmail email address. Goes straight in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Does anyone actually leave clothes out for these people

unfortunately they do. I've asked people the same question and they told me they are just glad to get rid of the clothes without the hassle of disposing them elsewhere, what a very irresponsible attitude.

Personally I keep my items until the Irish Cancer Society do their collections which is every few months.

The fact that there's someone going around at 5am dropping leaflets in the doors screams of scam! Don't even bother engaging with these cowboys, just put the sticker (with bad spelling!) straight in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

A few weeks ago I was driving home from work at 3am, turned the corner to go up the hill to my house and there was a girl about 20 walking in the middle of the road after delivering the stickers. Anything could have happened to her besides the chance of me knocking her down!

These collections are a scam, they sell the clothes and the money does not go to charity. We get one every day, I dont even look at them anymore, they go straight into the bin. Im going to start cellotaping my letterbox at night so they cant put them in anymore.:D

Can anyone remember the truck that was found last year full of bags of old clothes? The drivers did a runner, so obviously what they are doing is illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

well my grandmother and i just cleared out her attic so they are getting a 'bogus' collection from her :)

all the stuff you would actually re-use ill take to the cancer shop in the morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i constantly get these in the door, they do tend to go straight in the bin,
    last week there was one in the door at 6am when i got up for work, no sign of the van though,
    and up in dublin my dad was up at 5:30 coming down the stairs when he saw someone putting one of these through the letterbox so he grabbed it off the guy, he must have got some fright:)

what i dont understand is how they make money doing this,as mentioned on a different thread it seems to be a handy way to check peoples doors in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

A bag of rags for mechanics is around 30 quid. That's where they're making their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

A friend of mine puts a load of rubbish in the bag with old rags and stuff, they pick them up and take away his rubbish for him, happy days:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭nimrodsson

I imagine they don't properly dispose of any junk they receive... So while in principle its a nice idea to get them to take away your trash, its just going to end up on the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don't even look at them now,i try to pick up ASAP to go outside and put in wheelie bin in front of them:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The Aussie wrote: »
    A friend of mine puts a load of rubbish in the bag with old rags and stuff, they pick them up and take away his rubbish for him, happy days:D

very irresponsible of your friend. What do you think happens to the rubbish when discovered by the collectors? Another case of illegal dumping and the next time you're on the road to work you may see the litter in a ditch etc. The collectors hardly dispose of the refuse properly, tell your friend to have some common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I get some many of them in the letter box that I keep a waste paper basket for them in the hall.

What annoys me with them is that half the time they leave them hanging out of the letter box showing no one is home or that they blow across the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

Straight in the bin for me as well! Any old clothes go to the charity shop if they're in good condition or else to the clothes recycling bin that are around the place (Churchfield sports-ground car park for one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

We were woken up at 3am last week by these wretched people.:eek:

The dog of course went nuts. Whoever the idiot was, he/she's lucky they weren't knocked out by my husband who dashed downstairs with a shilleagh (sp)!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Antenna

these two stickers (attached pictures) left in the door of a relative in east cork in recent weeks, again in the small hours of the morning.

on both - only contact detail is a mobile phone number, no postal address etc. and very vague as to who benefits from it.

In case anyone missed the examiner article yesterday, it's Lithuanians who are benefitting from this. There's 2 rival gangs who are actually beating seven kinds of sh*te out of each other for territory. A full container of second hand clothes shipped home can be worth up to 100k. One gang burned out 3 transits belonging to another gang on the South link a few nights back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

In case anyone missed the examiner article yesterday, it's Lithuanians who are benefitting from this. There's 2 rival gangs who are actually beating seven kinds of sh*te out of each other for territory. A full container of second hand clothes shipped home can be worth up to 100k. One gang burned out 3 transits belonging to another gang on the South link a few nights back.

Yeah, didn't they have a bit of a car chase down the south link one day too trying to out do each other if memory serves?

I get two or three of these leaflets in the door a day. Very annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭0verblood

Just fill the bag with rags and a big Sunday morning Guinness shyte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i didnt realise how much money they can make off these collections, they mentioned on red fm news they were sending the containers to africa aswell, to be sold, nothing to do with charity!

off topic: i was behind you at traffic lights during the week, il beep and give you a wave the next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

The Aussie wrote: »

brick on the way through his window maybe,or piss in the letterbox,stupid thing to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Nipp

brick on the way through his window maybe,or piss in the letterbox,stupid thing to be doing.

in that case maybe put a few bags of rubbish outside a clamper's house

bladebrew wrote: »
    off topic: i was behind you at traffic lights during the week, il beep and give you a wave the next time:)

Eh, make sure to mouth something like 'Boards', or hold up a sign - or I'll wonder who the maniac is next to me :)

After a lull in the activity of these clothing collectors recently, relative received this (attached picture) clothing collector sticker this week.
    The website URL ( www.orphanhomecare.org ) is not occupied by any such group BTW.
    Anyone know any more about this group!?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I've had 2 leaflet drops in the last week. My kittens adore chewing and tearing them to pieces - an activity I encourage. I bring my donations direct to the shop now, and collect my mothers too if I can.

There is a shop open in Cork on Daunt Square, and looking at the shoes they are selling, I really wonder where they are getting their stock..

Another sticker left there in the past few days for a collection that was to happen today.
    See attached picture.
    have a read! and they didn't even bother to spell check

and another non-existent website - www.clothingtheworld.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Antenna wrote: »
    Another sticker left there in the past few days for a collection that was to happen today.
    See attached picture.
    have a read! and they didn't even bother to spell check

and another non-existent website - www.clothingtheworld.com
    "fairy-taxes" LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

If people didn't leave bags out, these collections would stop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

I heard that they were using the middle of the night leaflets as an excuse to check whether peoples doors were locked or not. You hear the noise in the hall, you get up, and notice the leaflet and think nothing of it. Good cover for checking whether or not you lock up at night.

Advertisement