Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

teach yourself economics

• 13-10-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

My son wants to do economics for lc outside of school, they don't teach it.
    Other posters have done so, Im just wondering what would be the best books to get eg Rapid Revision, text books. Would he be better off getting grinds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

I do economics and I would have to say, especially if he wants to do well in it, to get grinds and not just teach himself. I think economics is the kind of subject that needs a teacher to explain certain ideas and to show you how to structure and answer exam questions properly etc. Don't know what book tho really, we mostly get given notes. Definitely don't learn any subject all from a revision book, bad idea, no matter how good the book. Use a proper textbook

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

Thanks ruadhan, someone might know of good books to get a good knowledge of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

I don't know which books are the best but none of them will be up to date with statistics come June 2011. Therefore websites like www.cso.ie should be checked out for latest economic statistics as the book is being read. If the book has not been updated for a few years it will speak of Ireland's roaring economy and how we are the envy of Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

I don't know which books are the best but none of them will be up to date with statistics come June 2011. Therefore websites like www.cso.ie should be checked out for latest economic statistics as the book is being read. If the book has not been updated for a few years it will speak of Ireland's roaring economy and how we are the envy of Europe!

Thanks for link and advice

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

Kilroy's College also offer a teach yourself kind of course which is what I'm doing for economics.

They send out notes, you learn them, do an assignment, send that away to be corrected and learn the next set of notes.

Next year though I'm getting grinds in it.

http://www.kilroyscollege.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

http://www.examvillage.com/search?type/tutor_search/new_search/1/search_exam/112/search_subject/47

The queen of economics! I don't do it but a few of my classmates tried her free classes, just an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Is this a good subject to take up new? I'm repeating, doing Honours Irish... I got a B3 last year in Irish and I'm just wondering would I be better dropping it and taking up economics...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

wayhey wrote: »
    Is this a good subject to take up new? I'm repeating, doing Honours Irish... I got a B3 last year in Irish and I'm just wondering would I be better dropping it and taking up economics...

Do you mean dropping to pass irish or dropping irish altogether? I ask because I see you want to do medicine and unless you are just applying to TCD (and have another language other than english)you will need an OD3 in Irish in the 2011 leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Do you mean dropping to pass irish or dropping irish altogether? I ask because I see you want to do medicine and unless you are just applying to TCD (and have another language other than english)you will need an OD3 in Irish in the 2011 leaving cert

I should've been clearer :) I'd be dropping to Pass Irish; I'm up to speed with the entry requirements for Medicine, unfortunately have to do all the matriculation subjects like Eng, Irish and Maths again :P Thanks for having my back though!

Advertisement