Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC or Eircom

• 13-10-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I am with Eircom at the moment and have been for about 2-3 years now, but lately I'm losing my connection signal. I've rang them up but there not very helpful, they just say it's probably my phone signal is too strong and I should move my primary wireless phone away from my router, which is a lot of hassle.

I'm thinking of switching to UPC and their higher 15mg speeds instead of eircoms sneaky "Up To 8mg" speed. Which rarely passes by 5mg.

But I'm also reading a lot of people's problems on UPC, which isn't too encouraging either.

What's the main consensus here, UPC or Eircom?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Al Roberts wrote: »
    ..... but lately I'm losing my connection signal.

Do you mean that you're losing the wireless connection between the computer & the router? If so then just so you know, that particular issue has got NOTHING to do with broadband or what provider you're with so switching providers won't magically fix that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I left Eircom for UPC (financial reasons) I've just left UPC for Eircom for quality reasons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Al Roberts

bhickey wrote: »
    Do you mean that you're losing the wireless connection between the computer & the router? If so then just so you know, that particular issue has got NOTHING to do with broadband or what provider you're with so switching providers won't magically fix that.

So what could I do to fix this problem? I've rang them up, they weren't very helpful:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

deelite wrote: »
    I left Eircom for UPC (financial reasons) I've just left UPC for Eircom for quality reasons...

Im the opposite.

I just switched from Eircom to Upc for quality reasons.No complaints so far.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im the opposite.

This is what I mean, it's 50/50 really, some people say it's great others hate it. Does it all come down to luck and where your situated or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Im the opposite.

In fairness UPC offered fantastic broadband for 6 months - then it just went haywire - no explanation was ever given....:(

So what could I do to fix this problem? I've rang them up, they weren't very helpful:(

First thing might be to download inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner . You can use that to get an idea of relative signal strengths of your own and neighbours' wireless. It also shows what channels peoples' wireless are working on so you might find that switching to a quieter channel will help.

First thing might be to download inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner . You can use that to get an idea of relative signal strengths of your own and neighbours' wireless. It also shows what channels peoples' wireless are working on so you might find that switching to a quieter channel will help.

I'll try that later when I'm home.

Can anyone stick up the link to that netopia page for changing your settings please?

Can anyone stick up the link to that netopia page for changing your settings please?

Normally it'll be http://192.168.1.254

Normally it'll be http://192.168.1.254

Cheers.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just acquired Eircom...couldn't get UPC because they don't serve our area.

I guess we figured Eircoms peace of mind was more beneficial than other providers savings.

I just switched from Eircom 7 Meg (could only handle 5Meg) to UPC 30 Meg for the same price a month allmost, and haven't a bad word to say about it.
    It's mint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Switched from eircom to UPC and have no problems :) UPC are way better because they have a huge cap, faster dl & upload speeds and they dont block any sites :D
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/987580516.png
    http://www.pingtest.net/result/25263430.png

Rite, I'm in me sisters house now, she has UPC 15MG, my god it's lightening fast compared to eircom, well at least it is on my laptop.

Me sisters laptop is only get speeds of 5MG download, must be infected or something, trying to sort it out now for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

RVP 11 wrote: »
    I just switched from Eircom 7 Meg (could only handle 5Meg) to UPC 30 Meg for the same price a month allmost, and haven't a bad word to say about it.
    It's mint.

im on the 7meg and get about 4.5meg....what do u get now with your 30meg upc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

There is no comparison.

If you want the best / fastest Broadband in this state, then UPC is the only answer! (I am in waterford and rarely if ever have an issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

MarkY91 wrote: »

994213354.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

Been with upc for a year and a half, their broadband is brilliant. Never had a problem, Im in limerick...

The tv user interface is slow but all in all worth it when taking the package as a whole.

980734321.png
    25543169.png

Results are even better (8ms Ping) on UPC site speed test.

980734321.png
    25543169.png

Results are even better (8ms Ping) on UPC site speed test.

im paying E65 for 8mb eircom while your paying cheaper for over 3 times better broadband:eek: definely switching now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

im paying E65 for 8mb eircom while your paying cheaper for over 3 times better broadband:eek: definely switching now lol

How do you know what he's paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

I am with Eircom at the moment and have been for about 2-3 years now, but lately I'm losing my connection signal. I've rang them up but there not very helpful, they just say it's probably my phone signal is too strong and I should move my primary wireless phone away from my router, which is a lot of hassle.

I'm thinking of switching to UPC and their higher 15mg speeds instead of eircoms sneaky "Up To 8mg" speed. Which rarely passes by 5mg.

But I'm also reading a lot of people's problems on UPC, which isn't too encouraging either.

What's the main consensus here, UPC or Eircom?

Having been with Eircom for a couple of years and now with UPC for about a year, UPC all the way.

Eircom were shocking from both price and service perspective. We had major problems which they refused to acknowledge. Lots of broken promises about call backs and issues being resolved.

UPC have been epic so far with no drop in speeds and no need for a phone line now

I certainly am, €42 + €7 for non tv-sub.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Switched to UPC a year ago from Eircom, get fantastic speeds all the time, no complaints whatsoever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

maximoose wrote: »
    Switched to UPC a year ago from Eircom, get fantastic speeds all the time, no complaints whatsoever
    Im switching to just wondering how good it is for gaming and surfing web plus do you only get one Einternet socket on routher because need two for pc and ps3 because there in different room but not far have two long internet cable im using at moment for my eircom broadband plug into both pc and ps3. thanks.

I certainly am, €42 + €7 for non tv-sub.;)

jesus ive been robbed infront of my eyes by eircom for 5 years:eek:, isnt it e3 for non tv sub?..thats what the website says, oh well still cheaper and better than eircoN lol

Im switching to just wondering how good it is for gaming and surfing web plus do you only get one Einternet socket on routher because need two for pc and ps3 because there in different room but not far have two long internet cable im using at moment for my eircom broadband plug into both pc and ps3. thanks.

why dont u use wireless?.. im also wanting answers on what upc wireless is liek for ps3..how is the ping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

jesus ive been robbed infront of my eyes by eircom for 5 years:eek:, isnt it e3 for non tv sub?..thats what the website says, oh well still cheaper and better than eircoN lol

why dont u use wireless?.. im also wanting answers on what upc wireless is liek for ps3..how is the ping?
    It better plug in than wireless since ps3 on wireless suck try on ps3 before got nat2 and lot of drop out of game on my eircom broadband

How do you know what he's paying?

well hes on the 30mb upc and their website says its 42 euro per month

rob808 wrote: »

does the wireless router not come as standard anyway? why dont you just hook them up through that?

anyway i think theres 4 ethernet ports at the back of the router.

I have two 360s and two laptops running off the wireless and never have any problem with speeds

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    It better plug in than wireless since ps3 on wireless suck try on ps3 before got nat2 and lot of drop out of game on my eircom broadband

there lies the problem sir ;)

Advertisement