Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Year visa with seasonal work

Options
  • 13-10-2010 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My other half is currently on a farm in NSW doing seasonal work for a second year visa. Does anyone know the exact criteria for the 2nd year visa?.

She is basically working 6 days a week, though is unsure if she only has to do 12 weeks of this or is it a total of 88 days?. She heard if you work with on the one farm for 12 weeks in total you can qualify for your 2nd year visa, though this only works out at 72 days?.

Does any know the ins and outs of it?.

Cheers. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

specifically:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm#b

I did look into this while i was in Oz, but circumstance sent me home at the time! :(

iirc, and it doesn't seem to have changed recently, you must do the 3 months (or 88 days) to qualify. It's basically calculated on the number of days worked really though.

So, if the work is classed as full time work (by the farmer etc. i think), you get to include the weekends in your figures. so, for arguments sake, if the 6 days is full time, you include the 7th day when adding it all up. 88 / 7 ~= 12.5 weeks. Do 13 and she's clear.

If the work is part time, you don't get to include the weekends. so it would be 88 / 6 ~= 14.5 weeks. Do 15 and she's safe.

That's a very rough explanation of my interpretation of it. Try not to count it in weeks as you go, count the days to avoid any mistakes. She's really better off calling immigration for a quick clarification. Call as early as possible in the morning for that office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Cheers Wooley, exactly what I was after...

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

specifically:
    http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/specified-work.htm#b

I did look into this while i was in Oz, but circumstance sent me home at the time! :(

iirc, and it doesn't seem to have changed recently, you must do the 3 months (or 88 days) to qualify. It's basically calculated on the number of days worked really though.

So, if the work is classed as full time work (by the farmer etc. i think), you get to include the weekends in your figures. so, for arguments sake, if the 6 days is full time, you include the 7th day when adding it all up. 88 / 7 ~= 12.5 weeks. Do 13 and she's clear.

If the work is part time, you don't get to include the weekends. so it would be 88 / 6 ~= 14.5 weeks. Do 15 and she's safe.

That's a very rough explanation of my interpretation of it. Try not to count it in weeks as you go, count the days to avoid any mistakes. She's really better off calling immigration for a quick clarification. Call as early as possible in the morning for that office.
    6 days is hardly part time.
    13 weeks covers it

Mellor wrote: »
    13 weeks covers it

I was talking to her this morning, she is working for skilled though when they were signing up for the seasonal work they were made sign the form as 'casual' workers even though she is working 6 days by 8 hour shifts?. So looks like she has to do the 88 days not including the Sundays that she doesn't work.

Tis a load of balls cause we had plans for xmas, though shes gonna have to head back to the stix to complete the seasonal days. :mad:

it's called an example!
    Feelgood wrote: »
    they were made sign the form as 'casual' workers even though she is working 6 days by 8 hour shifts?
    tell her not to get her knickers in a twist. yet! Casual might only mean 'not permanent'. You really should call IMMI for a clear explanation, it's intentionally vague and confusing sh!t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »
    I was talking to her this morning, she is working for skilled though when they were signing up for the seasonal work they were made sign the form as 'casual' workers even though she is working 6 days by 8 hour shifts?. So looks like she has to do the 88 days not including the Sundays that she doesn't work.
    That won't make a difference. Casual just means she isn't a permanant staff member, doesn't get sick pay, holiday pay etc.
    It's an immigration issue, the employer doesn't have a say, except for confirming that she worked there of course.

If 6 days a week is standard, and it clearly is, then a week counts as 7 days, not 6. Sunday counts.
    it's called an example!
    I know. Was just pointing that it was a terrible one.

:rolleyes: wrong. good examples are ones that people understand. And people usually understand their own situation quite easily. The not terrible example was on the immi site i linked to regardless.

now of the sake of the children, can we please stop fighting! :pac:

That won't make a difference. Casual just means she isn't a permanant staff member, doesn't get sick pay, holiday pay etc.
    It's an immigration issue, the employer doesn't have a say, except for confirming that she worked there of course.

If 6 days a week is standard, and it clearly is, then a week counts as 7 days, not 6. Sunday counts.

Cheers Mellor and Wolly she will be delighted to hear that :)

make sure to have everything documented, have all the payslips or whatever, etc.!

Advertisement