Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Ride Etape Hibernia 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

johnam wrote: »
    I work in the Old Ground Hotel, which is literally a two minute walk from the start/finish point of the Etape Hibernia. I will be out on the ride, and will probably not be home until it gets dark :rolleyes:. However for those of you who will be back in time for a late breakfast / early lunch, the hotel has asked me to find out what sort of stuff you like to eat post race, so they can change their "Poets Corner" bar lunch menu to suit.

depends a little on the day , simple soup ( if a wet day ) and sandwichs, brack, queen buns, tart, simple savory food , sometimes a bit of pasta for those who pushed on a bit, but lots of it, tea, coffee . If the hotel is serving this at a reasonable price, , then I would call in for some .

on the course itself only zipvit energy bars will be available, so a bit of real food at the end would be very welcome. hope this helps johnam...

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

Esroh wrote: »
    +1 0n the corner advice. It comes up around 22 miles on the link. I think we pass the Dolmen site as we go over the top and there is a carpark on the left on a sweeping downhill bend just before the hairpin

there are two bad bends a few km apart just there, one just after the viewing area / carpark as mentioned above, and the second is the next turn to the right after that. I was out on it last week, and it was raining, the second turn really caught me out, nearly ended up in the one of the only green fields in the Burren. Don't think either of them would be too bad if you were to cut across to the opposite lane, (which with closed roads you will be able to do), but they do take the fun out of a great downhill section of road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

michael196 wrote: »
    on the course itself only zipvit energy bars will be available

Not looking forward to this. Isn't that the same as the garbage they had last year? Those drinks...OMG!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rev

there are two bad bends a few km apart just there, one just after the viewing area / carpark as mentioned above, and the second is the next turn to the right after that. I was out on it last week, and it was raining, the second turn really caught me out, nearly ended up in the one of the only green fields in the Burren. Don't think either of them would be too bad if you were to cut across to the opposite lane, (which with closed roads you will be able to do), but they do take the fun out of a great downhill section of road

I just hope they don't have any marshalls parked on the inside of the turn. I was coming into the first turn last year, and they had a jeep type thing parked roughly where the yellow line turns into the ditch on the first picture. That really messed up my descent and I know that descent well.

Nwm2 wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this. Isn't that the same as the garbage they had last year? Those drinks...OMG!

Yeah, Zipfit is the same gunk they had last year.. I got some of their energy drink on the 3rd food stop, took one mouthful and then dumped the rest of the bottle of it into the ditch and got water instead. It is awful stuff.

sent out an excel spreadsheet with 1000 names on it ... thats where i got my figure......

spreadsheet shows 1430 names on it now, and it takes a day or two for new names to appear on it, so although online entry is now closed, the number should go up a bit from there, I'm sure they will try tell every one that they had more cyclists than last year taking part.

does anyone have experience on how they were about changing starting times last year? there are three of us doing the cycle and we all start at different times, i.e 6.55, 6.57, and 6.59. I know the first two lads will wait up, but it would be better to just start together. Then again, if I was first not last, I suppose I wouldnt mind the head start:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Last year we were released in waves, where wave A were the fastest riders, then wave B, etc... it was up to each rider to join their wave at the start, so I'd imagine there is no problem with you guys sticking together.

The idea is that if the faster riders start first there should be less unnecessary overtaking. As it happened, last year I started in the last wave based on a conservative estimate of my speed and ended up overtaking quite a few people en route. Amazing the number of people that stayed in the left carriageway for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

My mate put himself right up the front and then got nerves and headed back to my wave. There were no problems in doing so apart from that we then spent the first 20k overtaking and being shouted at. Just judge it by the type of riders in each wave when you get there if you are worried. Try not to under or over estimate your ability too much and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Any idea on the times from last year ?

I'd like to do it in 4:30 or less but not sure on terrain if that's realistic

Any parts ya should keep a bit of energy for ?

Check my earlier post for the link to the route map and profile. There's 3 proper climbs that might require a boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Would be delighted to do it in 4.30. I always end up finishing these things on my own so it'll probably be more like 5.

I've doomed myself to 6+ time now haven't I? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

That zipfit stuff from last year was pure gunk - I'll be packing a hang sanggich or two if it's the same this year!

@johnam - I'd murder an omelette or scrambled eggs afterwards - and big pot of tea :) Thanks for checking!

daragh_ wrote: »
    Would be delighted to do it in 4.30. I always end up finishing these things on my own so it'll probably be more like 5.

Well if we can get a few together that want the same time it would make things easier

dario28 wrote: »

Well if we can get a few together that want the same time it would make things easier

Sounds like a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

ashleey wrote: »
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/91523

Seems to be a variation to last years route... The Start and Finish are the same place now in Ennis Town centre and a slight variation leaving Ennis in the first 10-15km

This seems closer to the 2011 route

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/643460

Thanks for that. I just pasted in my garmin data from last year. That is what we actually cycled and it was slightly different to the pre advertised route. Enjoy yourselves, I'm on the Leinster Loop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Bad news: missed the deadline to enter #etapehibernia...Good news: last minute entries are available at the wkend, first come, first served!

http://twitter.com/etapehibernia/status/103563605835919360

Methinks entries a bit below expectations.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

dario28 wrote: »
    Any idea on the times from last year ?

I'd like to do it in 4:30 or less but not sure on terrain if that's realistic

Any parts ya should keep a bit of energy for ?

The coast road from Ballyvaughan to Fanore can be tough when there's a headwind blowing, which it usually is when your cycling it in that direction. The Hand is quite hilly for the first 10 km or so, but then your treated to a doozy of a downhill thats straight as an arrow and goes on for a bit so you can pick up some serious speed on it, hit 77kmph today on it and was hanging for dear life. Road home is nice and handy from there on. Enjoy

spreadsheet shows 1430 names on it now, and it takes a day or two for new names to appear on it, so although online entry is now closed, the number should go up a bit from there, I'm sure they will try tell every one that they had more cyclists than last year taking part.

does anyone have experience on how they were about changing starting times last year? there are three of us doing the cycle and we all start at different times, i.e 6.55, 6.57, and 6.59. I know the first two lads will wait up, but it would be better to just start together. Then again, if I was first not last, I suppose I wouldnt mind the head start:P

they allow u to formally move up in waves once u are boxed in the wave cages, they wont allow u go back in waves but allow u move forward in waves... but hey just wait out the road !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

lads,
    I am new to this site amd am doing cycle on sunday with start time of 6.53,just wondering would any few be interested in froming group as doing it on my own at the moment and up coast would not be place to be on ones own.How could this be arranged or would a lad just play it by ear as cycle goes on .Thanks

You will just find a gang doing your speed and join up on the move. No need to pre arrange and anyone who minds you joining in shouldn't be doing a sportive so don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

yea thanks for reply, will do that sunday and as you say hopefully most people will be friendly enough to see no problem .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimoc1978

well myself and a friend, who recently bought bikes through the bike to work scheme, signed up for this with great intentions. Would really love to come in under 6 hours, but will in all honestly struggle to do it. So if you see us gamely struggling while you guys fly by, feel free to offer encouragement.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 HappyNoel

Signed up to do this for the first time as well (in fact, this is my first attempt at any type of organised cycling event). Any advice for a first timer? Fitness shouldn't be too much of a problem but everything else is new to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

ashleey wrote: »
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/91523

Seems to be a variation to last years route... The Start and Finish are the same place now in Ennis Town centre and a slight variation leaving Ennis in the first 10-15km

This seems closer to the 2011 route

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/643460

Does anyone have a route that is defo this years route? Want to avoid being surprised by hills not on my garmin course map like happened last year!

HappyNoel wrote: »
    Signed up to do this for the first time as well (in fact, this is my first attempt at any type of organised cycling event). Any advice for a first timer? Fitness shouldn't be too much of a problem but everything else is new to me.

if this is ur first time at an organised cycling event and fitness is not a prioblem: my advice to you for cycling in a large group is to hold the line of the wheel in front of you. Do not wander about between several wheels in front of you, but rather pick one wheel and where that goes, u go. When u feel u have enuf of that wheel , over take or drop away, but again hold the wheel in front to u.

if there is no wheel in front of u , then u pick ur own line .

this makes it safe for guys behind u to follow u in a predictable manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

if this is ur first time at an organised cycling event and fitness is not a prioblem: my advice to you for cycling in a large group is to hold the line of the wheel in front of you. Do not wander about between several wheels in front of you, but rather pick one wheel and where that goes, u go. When u feel u have enuf of that wheel , over take or drop away, but again hold the wheel in front to u.

if there is no wheel in front of u , then u pick ur own line .

this makes it safe for guys behind u to follow u in a predictable manner.

Try and stay slightly to one side of the wheel in front and not too close, in case the rider in front suddenly brakes or gets out of saddle. Above all enjoy
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

What does one do in the event of a puncture without a pump and a repair kit? I'll only be able to carry a bottle of water and some light snacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

kinaldo wrote: »
    What does one do in the event of a puncture without a pump and a repair kit? I'll only be able to carry a bottle of water and some light snacks.

Walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

kinaldo wrote: »

You dont start. 2 spare tubes and a pump will fit beside the food in your pockets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Munster Sports Nutrition

Best of luck to everyone taking part in tomorrows Sky Ride, The weather gods are looking kindly on us.

Thanks for the advice lads. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Went well, knackered! Time was 5.34 so pleased for my first time. The rain (mostly) kept away too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Went well, knackered! Time was 5.34 so pleased for my first time. The rain (mostly) kept away too.

Just did this myself, one big problem is its held on a sunday. There would be a much better atmosphere in the town if it was held on a saturday at least allowing people to go out and spend money in the bars and and restraunts. Seems to work a treat for the ring of kerry event. Sky take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Just did this myself, one big problem is its held on a sunday. There would be a much better atmosphere in the town if it was held on a saturday at least allowing people to go out and spend money in the bars and and restraunts. Seems to work a treat for the ring of kerry event. Sky take note.

I think it is the people of Clare you should be asking to take note. The earlier start was because of the complaints re closed roads. Can hardly see them being allowed closed roads on a Sat. Its pure Volume of people and the fact that everyone knows to avoid the ring as much as possible on the day that gives you less traffic. As it is there are still plenty of comments about the amount of vechicles on thr ROK especially Buses which are probably on the ring with Tourists on a limited time visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Finished too, in 4:44. Feeling pretty damn tired alright, although the triathlon I did yesterday and the 5 hrs sleep last night didn't exactly set me up well. That last 30k was no fun.

Second year doing it. Pretty much as per last year, although worse weather and fewer spectators (one explains the other I guess).

Food was a LOT better, bananas and some kind of homemade (on an industrial scale) flapjack yoke along with the water and energy bars,gels and drink.

Started in a much earlier wave this year, which meant a couple of pretty good peletons to hook up with. Still, lots of TTing into the wind solo as well, as the food stops broke things up.

I redisovered my dislike of the condescension/bossiness of certain microphone-wielding English people at the start and finish.

Met Comrade Jawgap on the road.

Question: every so often I'd pass someone in Sky gear with a name along the side of it. Were they invitees/celebs of some sort?

Overall, it was grand. I won't be rushing back, as I think other events have been more enjoyable (I prefer the stop-for-cake-at-the-parish-hall), but if the timing suits then sure why not...

Great day - good spin and great to see they took the feedback on board from last year. Feed stations were much improved in terms of location and content. The informal stops manned by the locals were even better!!!

The Mavic vehicles were a nice touch and added to the atmosphere.

The route was effectively the same as least year and the hills had the added spice of having to be climbed in the squally showers that rolled in during the first half, but the second half was done in some glorious sunshine. As per last year it was extremely well marshalled and controlled, and good to see that bales had been placed on some of the steeper descents that might be prone to accidents.

I rolled the last 10km in a group of about 12, but when we hit the 2km mark all hell broke loose!! The pace rocketed and everyone was obviously wanting to sprint for it. Got into a good position through the bends and at just under 1000m I went for it. Hit that last left-hander to hear my kids shouting for me (nice buzz!!), then went a bit to hard on the brakes and had it nicked from me by one of the others in the group who went down the inside of the turn- good fun!!!

[RANT] My only gripe was the goodie bags - they were sh1te!!!! I'm not expecting a whole lot, but a few shampoo samples and a couple of teabags!! WTF!!!

Someone should've nipped to Aldi and bought a load of cheapo chocolate bars, or something similar, and put them in. I know the event is being run for profit but charity spins by local clubs provide better bags - you'd think a commercial organisation would be better placed to go out and get some better samples to fill up the goodie bag! [\RANT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Did Sky send over a team?

I think there were one or two riders from the team there, but they had a load of other staff there, including this lady.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/skynewsolympic#p/u

Who is there "Olympics" producer.

• Advertisement

Great spin today

Pros was riding with Sean Kelly and weather and scenery

Negatives horrendous goodie bag, shampoo and barely enough for a proper wash

Furthest I've ever rode , but was kinda getting bored for the first 50 in big group was much more fun when chain came off and spent next 84 trying to catch up bridging gaps from group to group , great work out and perfect time to work a weekend of sight seeing around

Garmin said 134.1 in 4:07 and Mr Kelly beat me by about 8 people

Can't wait for the pain tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jjbsligo

Any sign of the results yet??

Found this race good however the road surface was really crap the majority of the way, so would not sure if i'd return.

It was allot more serious compared to the Wicklow 200 as not much chat going on between cyclists, but I suppose this would happen as its chipped.

The Mavic van was really great - I had a problem with my gears and they fixed it within minutes - The mavic rep said they were the team that works with the pro Sky team and came over from France esp for the race.
    Food stops were great also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

Esroh wrote: »
    I think it is the people of Clare you should be asking to take note. The earlier start was because of the complaints re closed roads. Can hardly see them being allowed closed roads on a Sat. Its pure Volume of people and the fact that everyone knows to avoid the ring as much as possible on the day that gives you less traffic. As it is there are still plenty of comments about the amount of vechicles on thr ROK especially Buses which are probably on the ring with Tourists on a limited time visit.

Na..Saturday would be great buzz in the town afterwards after the cycle. After doing Galway 8k a couple of weeks ago it was great afterwards.
    Place emptied Sunday obviously..
    Who says roads should be closed ,anybody I saw cycled on the left anyway and the numbers arent BIG compared to some of the tours have done with open roads.

Some photos from yesterday......

http://www.irishcyclingphotos.com/?p=1538

I completed it in 6:43:30.... not the fastest by a long shot, but seeing as my previous longest cycle was just short of 80km, I'm happy. No Pain at all other than a knee cap which started bothering me half way up the second climb. I dont know what I have done, but my knee is bruised now, and doesn't like being anywhere other than fully straight. The pain started on the outside of my knee but now it is the inner knee that is at me... I'm sure it will wear off, eventually
    As I said before, I work in a local hotel, so I had met a good few cyclists in the days beforehand, and it was good craic meeting them out on the course, and having them overtake me, and then catching them and overtaking them with 10/15 km to go.
    I had cycled the first and last third of this route before, but never the middle section from Ballyvaughan to Lahinch. The hill in that section :eek: really got me, but the section from Lahinch to Spanish Point was easier than any other time I have done it. Normally you have a wicked head wind, but there didn't seem to be any wind at that point.
    After leaving the last food stop, in Spanish Point, I knew what was to come, so decided to take it nice and handy for the first while. I lost sight of my friend around 5 mins out of spanish point, and by the time I got to the top having over taken a few walkers, I was sure he would have been well gone. I raced down the long straight downhill, and reached 74.7 kmph, (couldnt beat my previous best of 75.4 on the same hill), and then started to climb again:(. at this stage I met a lad from Dublin, and I tagged along with him until we reached Ennis, (I didnt catch his name, but in case he is a boardsie, he said he was staying in Kilmaley with 5/6 friends, and thank you for the company, it made the last 15/20 km fly by), we cycled together the rest of the way in, and managed around 30kmph from Connelly to the finish. I ended up finishing 1 minute behind my friend.
    As I say, this was my first long cycle, and my first event. I think it was well run, and the closed roads did add to the enjoyment. Some of those climbs would have been no fun if you got stuck behind some of the slower (yes thats right slower than me) lads and hadn't been able to overtake for fear of a tractor coming around the corner.

Will I do it again? .... being a local...yes... but im sure the cost of staying over on the night before would put a lot of people off.

What could be improved on? .... to be honest, having read the complaints from last year, I think it was very well run, the food stations were well located, well staffed, and had what I needed. The road surface in parts were rough, but that's not the organisers fault. And the goody bag was crap.. shampoo, sterling vouchers (not valid here) and tea ( which smelled like tobacco)...but then again did we go for the goody bag or for the cycle.:rolleyes: The mavic guys were a great help, I had my chain come off twice before the first stop, and they sorted it for me in seconds.

Overall thoughts... enjoyable day out, nice bit of comradery among the cyclists, hope my face isn't showing to much pain in the photos ... looking forward to next year ...and cutting an hour off my time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Richy2704

What a cracking weekend, first visit to Ireland, first close circuit race and longest distance raced, completed the course in 5hrs41minutes and could have gone faster but was enjoying the scenery and the ride to much to push it to fast.

Stayed at corofin and went and sampled way to many Guiness with a Belfast lad called Peter who was cycling around Ireland for a week, I thought the organisation was better than any thing we have over in England, shame to see the two guys who had accidents one just after the first rest stop and the second at around connoly, hope they are ok.

My only complaint apart from the crappy goody bag would be my stupid planning and having to leave straight after the race to catch my ferry from Rosslare and then driving straight back to Plymouth, the atmosphere in Ennis after looked great and next time we will come out a few more days before and stay at least a couple of days later.

Just like to say thanks to all the locals and other riders who I chatted with and will definitely be back again.

Go raibh maith agat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I thought it was a well run event except the goodie bag was definitely lacking. The money off vouchers were in sterling so a bit of a 'fubar' there!

I thought the course was very lumpy and I thought a lot harder than The Ring of Kerry despite being shorter, but a good route.

As said earlier, the Mavic boys being there was a nice touch and needed them when I had a blow out ...thanks guys.

Met a couple of other Boards.ies ... Daragh and some other fella about 20k out, sorry didn't get the name as I was struggling at that point.

The locals all cheered us on witch was very nice, the little girl holding up her A4 home made poster saying 'Good Luck' was sweet.

The locals all cheered us on witch was very nice, the little girl holding up her A4 home made poster saying 'Good Luck' was sweet.

That was a lovely touch and came when I certainly needed a boost!

The painted road signs just before Ruan added nicely to the hospitable feel of the event.

Was harder than I expected. Official time was 5.20 but I'm taking off 20 to allow for stopping and dealing with a horrible cramp :)

Set off with Unionman but didn't see anyone else apart from Signal Rabbit at the end, and one other guy in the crowd at the start. Kept an eye out for Jawgap but never saw him.

Nice day out but it felt like a really long individual timetrial TBH.

Struggling along in headwind at one point when I realised there were 4 or 5 guys sitting behind me. Is there a secret handsignal to say 'I'm wrecked, please take a pull'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Struggling along in headwind at one point when I realised there were 4 or 5 guys sitting behind me. Is there a secret handsignal to say 'I'm wrecked, please take a pull'?

Flicking your elbow outwards is a call for the following rider to come through !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Really enjoyed the event. Have to say the food stops where much better than last year, loved the flapjacks. Got chatting to Dean Downing at the food stop above Lahinch, he seemed to spend ages there chatting to people. When I told my wife I was chatting to Dean Downing, she said "off Faircity". You'd think some cycling info would be sinking in at this stage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement