Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Software for Scoreboard

• 13-10-2010 11:05am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been tasked with coming up with a scoreboard for a strictly come dancing kind of event.

Here's what I have in mind:
    • Have a laptop/PC hooked up to a large LCD.
    • Extend the desktop onto the TV.
    • Use 2 linked excel spreadsheets, one in fullscreen on the LCD.
    • Do all the backend work (scoring) on the laptop display which will then be reflected on the spreadsheet on the TV.

I'm not sure how effective excel will be for this task, as we want to have pictures of the couples beside their scores and then sort the list of people from first to last place.

Does this sound feasible or can anyone suggest any better options?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Using CTRL - F4 (usually) you can swap between sending the VGA signal to external output or the laptop screen... Could you not edit the setting on the scores on the laptop and then hit CTRL F4 when it's ready (the LCD screen will be blank until it gets sent the source) .... Then just display the scores in the Excel sheet..

That would be a very simple way of doing it.. Only awkward thing might be whatever message would appear on the LCD when there is no output.. It might display something like "NO PC" or "NO VGA SIGNAL", which might look a bit stupid.. ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I want it to look a bit more professional than an excel spreadsheet.
    I will be modifying the sheet so it doesn't really look like a sheet.

If I have the extended desktop with a logo as the background then I can maximise/minimise the spreadsheet as desired without having to turn on/off the display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Well I guess your first question is what application to use... Do you have a sketch of how much information you wish to display at the one time.. ?

Is it just as simple as showing 5 names (i.e. the judges) with the respective scores above them? Powerpoint would probably be the easiest for presenting this.. but if you need the scores calculated on the basis of accumulated information, then you would probably be better off doing it all in Excel... If you put enough work into it, you can make an Excel sheet look good enough to present on screen.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Another possibility, if you are any way familiar with HTML, would be a webpage displayed on a secondary monitor; edit the source on the main screen, then refresh the browser on the secondary monitor

Advertisement