Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stofen omni bounce diffuser

• 13-10-2010 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Anyone use them? £17 looks a bit steep for a bit of plastic... how good are they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I find them great tbh - I like shooting bare bulb & bouncing with on camera flash, so it suits me grand - you can get all sorts of adjustable Gary Fong yokes that'll twist your light all over the place, but the simplicity of the Stofen is great, you just pop it on top and work away (:pac:).

You could probably make your own from a lunchbox, but it's as easy to just buy one and have something that fits properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

They have their uses. Best use is when you have a celling and/or walls to bounce off. The omni in the name indicates that it sends light in almost directions. So light goes everywhere, bouncing all over the shop and gives the impression of a large diffuser. Dosn't really have much use outdoors, except maybe for large group shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Mine lives on my flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I've often wondered how useful they are. How is it better than bounced flash with the white-card extended (on the 580EX)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

kelly1 wrote: »
    How is it better than bounced flash with the white-card extended (on the 580EX)?

The white card throws a little light forward to give you catchlights and help get rid of the racoon shadows.

The stofen throws light everywhere - up, down, front, back.

If you are bouncing using the stofen you may need to overexpose with the flash a little as the stofen takes a bit out power out of the flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Ballyman wrote: »
    The white card throws a little light forward to give you catchlights and help get rid of the racoon shadows.

The stofen throws light everywhere - up, down, front, back.

If you are bouncing using the stofen you may need to overexpose with the flash a little as the stofen takes a bit out power out of the flash.

OK, thanks. I'll invest some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Crispin wrote: »
    Anyone use them? £17 looks a bit steep for a bit of plastic... how good are they?

generic ones on Ebay>
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Flash-Bounce-Diffuser-CANON-430EX-430EX-II-E6B-/370365081553?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item563b7aa7d1

Which flashgun do you need it for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm using one on my 580EX II, I like it, sometimes it can effect browns etc. but usefull overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Mine lives on my flash.

Same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I love when shooting in place where the light could bounce - it fills in the space nicely. Well worth the money (from USofA).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Thanks for the replies. Very useful.

I just ordered sunpak pz42x flash, apparently takes same omni bounce as the sb600, but as this is my first introduction to flash so I decided the extra £17 was a stretch too far and I am going to mess around with some home made diffusers and see how I get on. I might stump up the extra cash if I get into the strobing =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I use mine to get rid of harsh light and erm RED EYES! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Crispin wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Very useful.

I just ordered sunpak pz42x flash, apparently takes same omni bounce as the sb600, but as this is my first introduction to flash so I decided the extra £17 was a stretch too far and I am going to mess around with some home made diffusers and see how I get on. I might stump up the extra cash if I get into the strobing =D

The generic diffusers are very cheap on Ebay, approx 3 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use to use them but cant be bothered atm, robs the flash of about 2 stops so I just bounce as normal. I have a flash bracket for when its on the camera.

Advertisement