Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want tree dead

Options
  • 13-10-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I recently completely defoliated the tree in my back garden, but it's growing back. I'd like to kill it dead but leave the trunk standing as a climbing frame for something less prickly and horrible. My dad recommended drilling holes in the trunk and filling them with salt, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. I also cut a ring of bark from the trunk many months ago, also with no effect.

Advise please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know of a neighbour and he was fed up with a particular sycamore tree blocking his light and view...

Drilled in with a 1/2 inch bit and poured in diesel, tree demised shortly after...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Cut down a willow tree a few years ago and drilled holes put in the stuff ROOT OUT all over it and covered it with a plastic bag to stop the rain washing it off. It did the trick and there was no more growth. My neighbours were delighted as they were able to get their washing dry without bird poo. I planted a mountain ash nearby to replace it.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Go out to NAD at Blakes Cross near Skerries and ask for Brush Wood killer.

Drill into the tree stumps and roots and pour it in.

Leave for 1-2 weeks and the tree stump will letterly fall to bits in your hand,then just dig it up and out with your fork.

Job done-SIMPLES.:)

P.S-Diesel contaminates soil and may cause soil to become totally useless to grow in again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

paddy147 wrote: »
    Leave for 1-2 weeks and the tree stump will letterly fall to bits in your hand,then just dig it up and out with your fork.
    he/she wants to keep the trunk, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

he/she wants to keep the trunk, though.
    Yep, we're planning to use it as a climbing frame for maybe a passion flower and also as something to wrap lights around and hang a lantern off the end (it's grown in a rather nice arch which is perfect for that). If it comes down to it I can dig it up, but I'd rather keep it as a feature.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm surprised that ringing it didn't work.

paddy147 wrote: »

P.S-Diesel contaminates soil and may cause soil to become totally useless to grow in again.

Good reason to pour it into the holes and not onto the soil then...
    It works and the stump will stand..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

i'm surprised that ringing it didn't work.

Was thinking the same. Did you go deep enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

How deep should you go? There's definitely no bark in a four inch ring around the trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Use triclopyr ( trade name Garlon) this is the best product to kill trees, available from agri. stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

I heard that drilling and putting Gorgonzola cheese into the holes will do the trick :confused:

Have not had a need to try it though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

keving wrote: »
    I heard that drilling and putting Gorgonzola cheese into the holes will do the trick :confused:

Have not had a need to try it though :rolleyes:

I don't like gorgonzola, would Cambozola do instead, it's a much safer type of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it may be best to wait another month as there is still growth.

flutered wrote: »
    it may be best to wait another month as there is still growth.

I can't understand the point, if you want to kill it with a systemic poison don't wait until the tree is dormant or wait until the sap rises again in the spring..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

bbam wrote: »
    I can't understand the point, if you want to kill it with a systemic poison don't wait until the tree is dormant or wait until the sap rises again in the spring..
    if i remember correctly the brushwood killer is best used when growth is dormont

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

flutered wrote: »
    if i remember correctly the brushwood killer is best used when growth is dormont

It worked a treat for me on several big trees that were in my back garden.

Trees were cut down,stumps were then drilled and poured liquid in,2 weeks later the stumps were absolutely dead and litterly falling to bits.

Very easy to have them dug out then.:)

Advertisement